Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Class Accidentally Revealed!

GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

During the live stream they accidentally revalued on of the new new class. 

Apparently Engineer class who can be tank will be in the game :-)

Comments

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    We've known about the final two classes for a while now.
  • GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Who are 'we' and why wasn't I invited? lol
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by GlacianNex

Yeah apparently I wasn't invited to that knowledge party either. It's good to know an engineer will be a tank class though, makes a bit of variety.

Medic will be the 6th class.

Still way too few classes at launch for my liking.

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    I agree, 6 classes is barely enough.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by Alders

I agree! Seems to me new games rather give it all to a few classes with a lot of ways to go within the classes than to have a lot of different classes. I prefer to have many classes. In DAOC I loved how they had a lot of classes and a lot of  different classes for each faction. With just a few classes all heroes look the same in the end. And when the cookie-spec way to go with that class is found all play the same as well.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I think they will make six classes work at launch because of the way you build the classes. Similar to d3 and gw2 with limited skill slots but a lot of skills to pick from and you can level up the skills to get new effects.

If classes are distinct enough I think 6 will be ok, but yeah kind of a on a shorter end of the stick. On the other hand if every class is just slightly rehashed abilities of another class then yeah definitely not enough.

Originally posted by lindhsky

I agree! Seems to me new games rather give it all to a few classes with a lot of ways to go within the classes than to have a lot of different classes. I prefer to have many classes. In DAOC I loved how they had a lot of classes and a lot of  different classes for each faction. With just a few classes all heroes look the same in the end. And when the cookie-spec way to go with that class is found all play the same as well.

Yeah but they weren't really that different. I mean sure there were some trade mark abilities but all and all each had its own counter part. If we are talking DAoC 3 - 4 years after release - then yes they were able to provide much better definition to each class but at launch mirrors were pretty obvious.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Because having 30 classes that end the end boil down to 3 since they have pretty much the same roles and core mechanics is any different?

Take a look at WoW, the classic vanilla classes were much better than their beefed up versions. Sure you were forced to go into a "spec", but that's good, classes should have compromise and require commitment. And honestly playing feral druids, or ret paladins during vanilla was much more satisfying before their specs just got mirrored to be equal with "main specs" from other classes. I really stopped liking wow when they decided that all classes should pretty much be able to do everything(well except for rogues, because screw them :)). All classes got CC, and all forms of CC were normalized, all classes could dps almost, way too many core healing specs, too many tanks, and not to mention giving healing abilities to DPS classes as well.

A good MMO should have ridged classes that fill a certain role, or 2 at most and some "jack of all trade" classes as long as they remember "the master of none" part that defines it. Having a billion classes that can fill pretty much every role without any penalties is just lazy design that makes class verity cosmetic.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Panther2103

Yeah apparently I wasn't invited to that knowledge party either. It's good to know an engineer will be a tank class though, makes a bit of variety.

Do you really think an Engineer sounds like it should be a Tank class?To me it sounds like someone who would fix weapons or improve them with add ons and scopes or whatever else,more like a crafting class i guess bit msot certainly i wouldn't think Engineer=Tank.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Way to few classes, and way too few weapons for each class to lose.  

Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by Panther2103

Do you really think an Engineer sounds like it should be a Tank class?To me it sounds like someone who would fix weapons or improve them with add ons and scopes or whatever else,more like a crafting class i guess bit msot certainly i wouldn't think Engineer=Tank.

Yeah I donno about the naming - my biggest question now is what is actually the mechanic for them. Warrior is your standard heavy armor damage mitigation tank, then you have stalker which is your evasion, deflection, block tank. So question is how does the engineer tank? Only thing that comes to mind are maybe pets? So like a pet tank or maybe a giant suite of armor ? 

Hard to say but it is clear that every class will have one well defined role + ability to go pure dps.

Originally posted by DOGMA1138

Because having 30 classes that end the end boil down to 3 since they have pretty much the same roles and core mechanics is any different?

Take a look at WoW, the classic vanilla classes were much better than their beefed up versions. Sure you were forced to go into a "spec", but that's good, classes should have compromise and require commitment. And honestly playing feral druids, or ret paladins during vanilla was much more satisfying before their specs just got mirrored to be equal with "main specs" from other classes. I really stopped liking wow when they decided that all classes should pretty much be able to do everything(well except for rogues, because screw them :)). All classes got CC, and all forms of CC were normalized, all classes could dps almost, way too many core healing specs, too many tanks, and not to mention giving healing abilities to DPS classes as well.

A good MMO should have ridged classes that fill a certain role, or 2 at most and some "jack of all trade" classes as long as they remember "the master of none" part that defines it. Having a billion classes that can fill pretty much every role without any penalties is just lazy design that makes class verity cosmetic.

The issue with this particular game is of course not just limited class selection.  Being stuck with only one weapon is also limiting play style options.

I'm fine with 8 classes as long as i can play them how i want with the weapon's that i decide to master.  I can't speak of WoW since i never played it beyond level 10 but i can use FFXI as as example.

Not only did we have 20+ classes but also sub classes from which we could use skills/spells.  My warrior could use a greatsword, greataxe, staff, dual wield swords or axes or mix and match.  Each gave me a different play style.  Sure there was always a "best" option for each class, but for everyday running around, it was nice to change it up.

I think my basic point is - if they're going with such a small class selection, then give us more weapon options to make up for it.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

way too few classes for a subscription mmo... and for my liking as well.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

Originally posted by rensta

I prefer to have many classes.

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Originally posted by rojo6934

Come on, really? Really? Stop fooling yourselves. Every freaking game forum has at least a billion threads that go "which class is the best", and no matter how well balanced a game is, most people pick a class that is that 1% better even if it doesn't matter much. Then you log in and see everyone being the same class, or wait in dungeon queue for hour because healers make up 5% of population.... Same goes with skills, everyone uses the ones 0.005% stronger than other ones, and when there are two of the same power, people complain that they are the same and devs were lazy.. so what is the point in that variety?

Just stop this nonsense, 200k players in a game 150k views on the best build wiki, but no... people like to have choice....

That reduction you see now is the answer to those problems, instead of wasting time in developement making something that no one will use anyway, they make less classes, but make them a bit mixed, to make them all valiable. Answer to demand, not making gamers life harder.. the opposite.

So what, yes... we have few people on this forums that like variety. Even if you are not lying or fooling yourselves, it doesn't change the fact that others will just go to wiki, and then go with that 0,0001% better class and build. Proven just by looking at the clones and dungeon queue's in most of games you would pick. So that complaining... is really unnecessary.

Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

I prefer to have many classes.

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Originally posted by rojo6934

Come on, really? Really? Stop fooling yourselves. Every freaking game forum has at least a billion threads that go "which class is the best", and no matter how well balanced a game is, most people pick a class that is that 1% better even if it doesn't matter much. Then you log in and see everyone being the same class, or wait in dungeon queue for hour because healers make up 5% of population.... Same goes with skills, everyone uses the ones 0.005% stronger than other ones, and when there are two of the same power, people complain that they are the same and devs were lazy.. so what is the point in that variety?

Just stop this nonsense, 200k players in a game 150k views on the best build wiki, but no... people like to have choice....

That reduction you see now is the answer to those problems, instead of wasting time in developement making something that no one will use anyway, they make less classes, but make them a bit mixed, to make them all valiable. Answer to demand, not making gamers life harder.. the opposite.

So what, yes... we have few people on this forums that like variety. Even if you are not lying or fooling yourselves, it doesn't change the fact that others will just go to wiki, and then go with that 0,0001% better class and build. Proven just by looking at the clones and dungeon queue's in most of games you would pick. So that complaining... is really unnecessary.

Out of those 6 classes, one is still going to be the preferred healer and one the preferred tank.  That's how it is for raiding games.

For every day exploring and questing, i'd like more options.

Obviously what they're doing is for balancing purposes.  I just think it's lazy, despite being a fan of the game.

I think the number is irrelevant. So when people say things like, 6 is just not enough classes - I will call bullshit on this one. It really comes down to how can you play a class and does it actually play different. Because a lot of games out there have 10 classes and they all play and feel about the same (ESO I am looking at you, they have 4 classes yet no one seems to complain). 

So question will these 6 classes feel really different and distinct and two even though we can't pick a weapon can ability customization really give each play style a distinct feel in each class. So when I am playing Spellsinger dps there should be multiple and distinct ways to play that role. Personally I don't think that that is the case but it doesn't bother me as long as Spellsinger dps will play and feel very different from Esper dps.

We will have to see what happens in raids but I can see that they can potentially make each raid instance and potentially each boss favor different classes. A lot of it is just pure speculation and we will just have to play the game to see if it will feel right. 

My only experience with so far is a little bit of PvE and PvP at PAX but I got to say it was the most fun I had in PvP in a very long time.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192

If 6 classes can be played 3 different ways, then really that's not so bad. Like with Everquest 2 when it first came out, there was only 4 classes to start, then you had to pick at level 10, then again at level 20. But once you got into that role that was pretty much it. There was no many variations on how you could play that class. There were a couple here or there, like Shadowknight, you could play as a DPS instead of tank, but nevertheless, you were still set to either be a tank, off tank. Couldn't play an SK as a healer, where as this game, you could play each class a different way, so it could work.

I agree that it is a a lower amount of classes on paper, but it could work.

I for one am just excited for a game to have open world pvp again.

Killing dragons is my shit

• Sorry, maybe i have missed at somewhere but any suggestion about release date of Wildstar?
    Originally posted by Ekadd
    Sorry, maybe i have missed at somewhere but any suggestion about release date of Wildstar?

Latest word is Spring 2014

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Everybooty knows its engineer and medic, you can even see them in one of their vids ;)
  • Gemini001Gemini001 Member UncommonPosts: 5

It's 6 classes yes, but each class can fill two roles

• indojabijinindojabijin Member UncommonPosts: 97

It's 6 classes with 12 roles. The different roles within the classes are radically different from one another. There is also no pure role class (aka meaning a class with 2 dps roles or 2 healer roles). So every class can become a hybrid.

Warrior - DPS / Tank

Esper - DPS / Healer

Spellslinger - DPS / Healer

Stalker - DPS / Tank

Engineer - DPS / Tank

Medic - DPS / Healer

I think it's pretty balanced. All classes can be dos while half heal and the other half can tank. All of them also have a support role so they all have some sort of cc. Interesting to see how it turns out.

• yuri330yuri330 Member UncommonPosts: 25

To whoever was saying they wanted to have more classes that's a bad idea. Any game that has had too many classes always has problem when it comes to PvP balance. Now you may be all like "Well I don't care about PvP" but your opinion doesn't matter in the grand scale, any game you want to have balanced PvP if there is PvP and the Wildstar people have openly said that they plan to have a very good and competitive PvP environement.

You just cannot have a good balance when it's like RIFT where you have so much shit to balance that some things just have no place in PvP and other classes are just outclassed by X.

Take SWtoR for example, when Arenas came out. Now SWtoR is by no mean meant to be a Guild Wars 1 level competitive pvp mmo. BUT when you have a lot of classes in your game it makes it very difficult to make everyone happy with their class. I'm only gonna reffer to classes by their Empire names because that's the faction most people played anyway.

Take a Sorcerer, Sorcerers have three talent trees. One is healing the middle one is steady dps and the right one is dots.

Now Sorcerers are seen as THE worst PvP class at the moment in battlegrounds/arenas. They are way too squishy and while their damage can be high there's not much damage you can do when you're dead. So why take a squishy class who will probably get focused when a Powertech can also DPS and do it pretty well and also be very tanky while doing it.

Now you might say oh well just have the Sorcerer heal! Well that could work if Operatives didn't exist, they are a healer who are naturally tankier than Sorcerers while being able to stealth to keep the initiative and not get aggressed on first (Powertechs have a grapple ability which pulls targets to them, if you are not running an operative and your healer gets hooked you are pretty much done for).

PvP balance in games which try to have both PvE and PvP balance usually have a very difficult time striking a good balance and the best way to do it is to have fewer classes so there is just less of a mess to balance, other way that this is also done (I'm looking at you Arena Net for not doing the same thing when Guild Wars 2 that you did with Guild Wars 1) is by making skills have a PvE and PvP version.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Enraged_Smash_(PvP)

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Enraged_Smash

There is a minor difference but this could mean the game in PvP. Now Guild Wars 1 did not have any world PvP so PvP versions of skills only kicked in when your hero entered the PvP islands which is the hub where you can enter battlegrounds and whatnot. Making this work in a game where there is world PvP I have yet to have thought of something solid, maybe when you are flagged for PvP your skills would swap over to their PvP versions meaning that on a PvP server that only times where you wouldnt have the PvP versions of your skills would be in a dungeon or an instanced something where PvP is impossible to happen.