Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Best Laptop MMOs

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

As the world grows increasingly small and we travel more, we take along our more portable machines. In The List today, we take a look at five great MMOs perfect to play on any laptop. Read on before leaving your choices in the comments.

It’s been a year or two now since I opted to buy a gaming laptop to take with me on trips. But not everyone’s going to shell out a thousand dollars or more for a laptop that’s not as easy to upgrade as a desktop. With so many of us getting set to go on trips for the Holidays, Lord knows we all want to game even when we’re traveling. In honor of this desire, today I decided to make The List: The Top Five MMOs for Laptops. By no means is this the end-all, be-all List. In fact, if you have a decent GPU, chances are you’ll be able play any MMO you’d normally play on your beefed up rig at home. But for those of you who have a regular Integrated graphics card or an old laptop that you still want to connect to virtual worlds with... this List is for you.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The List: The Best Laptop MMOs.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• CalkrowCalkrow Member UncommonPosts: 92

There is one laptop, as in you can put it on your lap, that will probably play any MMO.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/21/who_wants_a_12core_xeonpowered_raid_10_laptop/

Forum Post count does not = Game Intelligence or Knowledge  it just shows how often people like to talk.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    The Asus g75vx you can get for $800, it has a 2.4gh I7 cpu and a gtx 670 mx 3gb gpu, 8gb ram stock, it will eat those games up and more, I would venture to say it will run Wildstar, ESO, and maybe eqnext on ultra as well. I say maybe eqnext because we will see I bet voxels will eat up some vram, but the 3gb card should give it all it needs to run eqnext on ultra smooth as a babies buttt. The other huge bonus is the 670mx does not run as hot as the 675, 775, 680m.... and radeon equivalents, combine that with Asus patent cooling, this is the quitest pc you will ever game on all while running the listed games at max settings. 17 inch 1080p monitor, backlit, ergonimic, the only downside is its heavy at almost 12 pounds. Well heavy compared to other laptops.
  • Kinh021Kinh021 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Aion forgotten
  • TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827
    Originally posted by Kinh021
    Aion forgotten

Aion is pretty heavy GPU-wise. My laptop can't handle it.

Ontopic:

Great list, EQ2 fits in there easily as well.

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

My first thought was "depends on the laptop", and I was sure it will be like a tech forum column :) 

Rockniss said the G75, my sleeper hit was the y510p 6 months ago, right now I'm not sure about the prices... SLI for games, single gt750m if you need more battery time, not as heavy and bulky like the Asus G series (though I like them too), and fairly cheap.

But back to the topic, for an integrated gfx that's a nice list. I'd add CO and STO (Neverwinter too, maybe, but I've never tried it), same with LotRO, not the highres client of course, but it's surprisingly decent with low settings on onboard gfx.

If a bit more recent hardware is allowed, I saw TOR running on HD4000, and probably Vanguard could be on the list as well, just like DCUO. Actually, pretty much every online game older than 3 years could be on the list :)

(maybe even AoC, I mean I played it on a 9800 back then and while the HD4000 is weaker, on low settings there's a chance for it to run Conan.)

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

I spent $830 on my Aspire V3-772g-9653 beginning of October.  760m, I7 2.2(3.2turbo)  and it'll run anything on the market.  No lighted keyboard only drawback.

What you should also consider is how much each games bandwidth takes to play, because I was stuck on a 3g Virgin Mobil U600 usb adapter for 7 weeks.  Secret World ran fine, but any ARPG sure didn't cut it at all.  And to say fine is being modest, I couldn't really run with others as the latency was an issue.

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326

Odd, my work laptop (admittedly I got a half decent one with separate graphics card- but no way near the upper end of the market) runs any mmo out there.  I was playing Rift on ultra a few moments ago.  

mmo's are always way behind the hardware (with good reason as it expands the player base & due to development times).  

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

I doubt you can "play" Rift on ultra on a "half-decent laptop". Unless your definition of playing is fundamentally different.

Unless you have a gaming notebook you won't run rift with 30+ fps in cities or any area with more than zero other players present, and especially not in CQs.

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by 43%burnt

I doubt you can "play" Rift on ultra on a "half-decent laptop". Unless your definition of playing is fundamentally different.

Unless you have a gaming notebook you won't run rift with 30+ fps in cities or any area with more than zero other players present, and especially not in CQs.

Not just making it up.  Its a £500 ($800) lap top.  I am even playing it on a town wide open wireless- runs as smooth as water.   

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by 43%burnt

A decent gaming Laptop isn't that expensive anymore these days.

It's all about tablets, convertibles and ultrabooks these days.

Bulky gaming Laptops are cheap, unless you want to spend tons of Money on overpriced Garbage like Alienware. You can buy the Asus G75/G55 series for less than half with same performance.

The Lenovo Y-series is also good for gaming and fairly cheap (around 700-800 bucks).

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247
    60 days of eve eh, I'm only seeing 30
  • Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Get a Sager.  You won't be disappointed.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Two things...

1 I have no idea what so ever what laptops have to do with a different kind of  gaming.My Laptop is more powerful than my PC.MANY people just buy Laptops because they are so convenient.

2 Your not getting any kind of Laptop in Canada for a thousand bucks,maybe one of those 6 inch screen no name ones.

If i was putting a Laptop category together it would be based on TIME because of the battery charge life.My Laptop has a horrible battery duration ,so i can't game more than a couple hours.Even still i am not sure what games i could pick because i play all games for short and long duration,so not like i could make a category for them unless......well maybe we needed to get a heavy sponsor's game in there,so needed to think of some new category lol.I am guessing that i am probably right,seen this before.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MMO-VeteranMMO-Veteran Member Posts: 45
    WoW/Wild Star and if you get a large monitor then you can enjoy pretty much any game.
  • redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224

Hearthstone is amazing on most laptops, and once it's in open beta, OMGGGG.

Great video Bill, EQ could be a lot of fun on my laptop while travelling!

Hi-Fives,

RipX

• Sameg3Sameg3 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I play LOTRO on my laptop without any problems. This article is odd, because WOW like play style can be found in a lot of games, all of which can be played just fine on a laptop. I do agree with the games mentioned though.
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Sager is trash in my eyes. Bought one with SLI cards and raid 0 ssds and had to return it for a refund because I could only use it for 5 mins before it BSODd repeatedly. And their tech support was subpat. Ended up with an equivalent MSI Gaming Series laptop for 600 less. I had heard great things about Sager too. Was very disappointed. They akso refused to pay back the almost 300 in shipping, so I was out 300 for nothing.
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Since when does laptop=low end hardware? I'm on a i7 3820qm laptop with 16 GB of DDR3 and a 2GB 680m.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    So... more of a list of absolutetly outdated games that really noone should be playing anymore, but still are, because there is little alternatives?
  • illspawnillspawn Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Littleboot I agree I have $700 Laptop and it runs it just fine. Hell my desktop with gtx 275 eats up rift on max settings. I find Rift to be more reliant on multi-core cpus than graphics card. You can get an I7 processor in a laptop for 700 or less all day long.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

This totally depends on your laptop

on my alienware top knotch laptop, i can play any MMO out there at full settings in HD.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

When going on a business trip, and I have to take the company laptop I can realistically only play games that don't require an install, and that I can carry around on a separate disk.  WoW is great for that, but unfortunately I have never been able to get it to play at an acceptable framerate on a non-gaming laptop.  

Path of Exile I see missed your list, but that game plays really well on low end hardware and still manages to look decent doing it.  Well at least in the easier difficulties, as you get to harder difficulties, bigger mob packs, with more modifiers you can lag at just the wrong moment.  I wouldn't risk playing hardcore on it, but performance is much better than WoW is on the same low end hardware.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

This is such a terrible filler post. It's just a list of games. All laptops are completely different, so this doesn't even cover  a percentage of ANY of them. The two notebooks I have can run ANY MMO on high settings. ANY. Where as my older one could barely even run WoW due to its graphics card (intel integrated).

So who is this list for? People who own notebooks? People who own slow notebooks? People who own mid-range notebooks?

STUPID POST!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    My laptop can play anything (plays BF4 on max at ~80 fps), but I seem to stick with WoW.  There's just nothing better.  It might be because I have so many friends ingame, but I've gone and tried other games, but always come back.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Replace World of Warcraft with Wakfu, and perhaps take a look at some of the other entries. There's more to being a good laptop MMO than just whether or not it will run on most laptops.

My personal picks, which is basically what comes to mind when I think of "low resource games that are easy to play on the go":

• Wakfu
    • Doofus
    • Wizard101
    • Pirate101
    • Eve Online
    • Ragnarok Online

<3