Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason I think FFXIV is going to fail: Staying power

Comments

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by didjerama
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by didjerama
    LOTRO, AoC, SWTOR, EQ2...need say more?

Yes.
    Turbine, Funcom, EA, SoE...no need to say more ;)

SE is not holy cow. They are business like everyone else. Do you really really think they wouldnt do it?

Also remember that there was a time all those companies were respected....until they werent any more ;P

What Foomerang said plus its a different culture. Funcom was never respected... Turbine was a one hit wonder with AC after that pfft. 

• Miotoss03Miotoss03 Member Posts: 34

I find this thread humorous. The OP is full of it saying he completed all the content and that crafting is useless. 50 smn on turn 5 coil in which the first kill just happened 2-3 days ago. The richest people in game are crafters. 2 star HQ crafted gear slotted with materia is on par with coil gear to say its not is false.

Considering Im actually doing the content and am using the crafted gear in some slots (would have slotted all vanya but its 500k per piece) It is by far better than darklight with materia. I also enjoyed the 10 min que when I log on every night to do coil, but according to these people its a dead game. I have a longer que today than I did a month ago.

further points 2 out of the 8 people in our coil grp craft, those people are also the ones who have well over 10 million gil on a non legacy server.

On the duty finder name an MMO with that feature where DPS dont sit in 40 min ques happens in wow too.

Games to easy? Tell me that when you beat coil first kill 2-3 days ago and the guild who did it got lucky.

As for staying power we turned our guild recruitment off because we have to many people who want to join our FC ques have been getting longer. The OP is a troll nothing more nothing less. He hit 50 and quit because he couldnt kill titan he sounds bitter in his words.

This thread is basically the fox news of MMO's

What bothers me the most about the OP Is, I dont actually believe he really actually played the game. Anyone who has and is currently doing end game knows alot of what he says is false yet because of who these forums cater to (People who just hate on MMO's that they dont play) He dosent get called on it at all. Most of the complainers you can tell put in zero effort to actually learn or play the game or didnt play at all. End game isnt easy which is why 1 guild has downed all of coil, and they started coil a week into the game due to being on a legacy server with millions of starting gil and fully leveled crafting. They spent 38 million gil on gear to start coil a week in.

• TakooTakoo Member CommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by Miotoss03

I find this thread humorous. The OP is full of it saying he completed all the content and that crafting is useless. 50 smn on turn 5 coil in which the first kill just happened 2-3 days ago. The richest people in game are crafters. 2 star HQ crafted gear slotted with materia is on par with coil gear to say its not is false.

Considering Im actually doing the content and am using the crafted gear in some slots (would have slotted all vanya but its 500k per piece) It is by far better than darklight with materia. I also enjoyed the 10 min que when I log on every night to do coil, but according to these people its a dead game. I have a longer que today than I did a month ago.

further points 2 out of the 8 people in our coil grp craft, those people are also the ones who have well over 10 million gil on a non legacy server.

On the duty finder name an MMO with that feature where DPS dont sit in 40 min ques happens in wow too.

Games to easy? Tell me that when you beat coil first kill 2-3 days ago and the guild who did it got lucky.

As for staying power we turned our guild recruitment off because we have to many people who want to join our FC ques have been getting longer. The OP is a troll nothing more nothing less. He hit 50 and quit because he couldnt kill titan he sounds bitter in his words.

What bothers me the most about the OP Is, I dont actually believe he really actually played the game. Anyone who has and is currently doing end game knows alot of what he says is false yet because of who these forums cater to (People who just hate on MMO's that they dont play) He dosent get called on it at all. Most of the complainers you can tell put in zero effort to actually learn or play the game or didnt play at all. End game isnt easy which is why 1 guild has downed all of coil, and they started coil a week into the game due to being on a legacy server with millions of starting gil and fully leveled crafting. They spent 38 million gil on gear to start coil a week in.

lol you guys are full of it for saying crafted gear is on par with coil drops...If that was the case you could run coil and pass on every piece of gear. But then again this leads to even more lack of content because there would be zero reason to run coil more than once.

I have a leve 50 craft and all the crafters in my guild say that crafted gear is better than DL but worse than myth/coil drops. You crafters are just trying to push us to support your gear. Its not better.. huge thread over at reddit about it. Oh and even if it was on part with coil drops its still not worth it.

http://ns.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1om47p/whm_endgame_gear_progression_question/

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

If you think this game is not going to go free to play you're deluded.  The base of the game can happily support free to play with a cash shop, all you have to do is look at the core of the game and compare it to a current f2p title and how it makes money, it's designed to be able to swap to f2p really easily.  If you can't see the writing on the wall you are simply refusing to see it.  Cosmetics, cosmetic tabs built in, mounts, pets, fantasias.  It will come, SE are not above such things...especially in their current position.

It never happened with ffxi because it cost them 10 million to create that game  (which meant it easily made the money back from subs and full price box sales over a few years), was launched well before f2p and is on systems totally unable to offer a proper f2p system and make money from it.  Ps2 can't run a secure cash shop system ingame so it is p2p or bust for that game.

So stop using FFXI as an excuse for anything, this is not FFXI.  FFXIV ARR has cost around around 100++ million to create from 9 years of development time, sells for £12.99 (didn't even sell particularly well at that cheap price), has cheap subs, costs far more than XI ever did to run (2 fully staffed data centers, large teams of devcelopers to make content patches etc) and simply will not be able to make back it's costs (let alone be profitable) ever under the current system.  No matter how you want to paint it this current system cannot work unless the company is totally ok with it never being profitable.  FFXI was so profitable because it cost them almost nothing to make it, they had one single data center and they had some of the most expensive subscriptions in any mmo there is.  None of these key reasons for it being so profitable apply to this game.  

The only way a sensible person would think this won't go free to play is believing a company in serious financial trouble simply won't do it out of principle and is ok with losing a large amount of money because of that.  There is no way this game won't go free to play and it amazes me intelligent people can't see that.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

The first level Tomes can be done fairly quickly by running CM/AK non-stop, there is no cd or time limiting on these. So full DL armour can be had within a week or two.

The second level Tomes (Mythology) are where the time sink comes in as there's a weekly cap of 300 built in to the game. This is where you can get to the stage of people just logging on a Monday, getting the 300 and see you again next week.......

As previous posters have said, you need to complete the story to unlock things, this is a constant all the way through the story line. But there could be an issue as this progresses. The latter elements of the story are the hard mode instances. The game forces people to do these - for the story, for the weapon, for the unlocks. You are stopped if you don't. The game has introduced a choke point design, which some players may find impassable. Of course some won't, but the fact that it funnels people into a single instance (Titan HM) for example may frustrate some people to the point where they give up, and cancel sub time.

One of the usual pastimes for casual, even medium game time players in other games has been rolling alt's and completing quests in other areas. This is reduced to zerging fate after fate in ARR - I have never experienced a more mind numbing progression path for alts. They need to make quests re-runnable, full stop.

So I think there is enough to do at end game - but only if you are particular type of player. I cannot really see a casual type of player enjoying the end game experience that much. What the game is lacking at the moment is diversity in progression at end game.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by amber-r

If you think this game is not going to go free to play you're deluded.  The base of the game can happily support free to play with a cash shop, all you have to do is look at the core of the game and compare it to a current f2p title and how it makes money, it's designed to be able to swap to f2p really easily.  If you can't see the writing on the wall you are simply refusing to see it.  Cosmetics, cosmetic tabs built in, mounts, pets, fantasias.  It will come, SE are not above such things...especially in their current position.

It never happened with ffxi because it cost them 10 million to create that game  (which meant it easily made the money back from subs and full price box sales over a few years), was launched well before f2p and is on systems totally unable to offer a proper f2p system and make money from it.  Ps2 can't run a secure cash shop system ingame so it is p2p or bust for that game.

So stop using FFXI as an excuse for anything, this is not FFXI.  FFXIV ARR has cost around around 100++ million to create from 9 years of development time, sells for £12.99 (didn't even sell particularly well at that cheap price), has cheap subs, costs far more than XI ever did to run (2 fully staffed data centers, large teams of devcelopers to make content patches etc) and simply will not be able to make back it's costs (let alone be profitable) ever under the current system.  No matter how you want to paint it this current system cannot work unless the company is totally ok with it never being profitable.  FFXI was so profitable because it cost them almost nothing to make it, they had one single data center and they had some of the most expensive subscriptions in any mmo there is.  None of these key reasons for it being so profitable apply to this game.  

The only way a sensible person would think this won't go free to play is believing a company in serious financial trouble simply won't do it out of principle and is ok with losing a large amount of money because of that.  There is no way this game won't go free to play and it amazes me intelligent people can't see that.

If you think this game is going F2P You dont know anything about Square. This isnt a cheap trick like TSW (who didnt see that going f2p with a damn cash shop with a box and sub fee at day 1). Why do you think they put it back in developement.  This isnt Funcom or another one of Lucas Arts screw Star Wars franchise for a cheap money grab ( youtube: kinect han solo) or Cryptic.......

Hell the PC version was just icing on the cake for FFXIV. There main goal is PS3/PS4... even did a big article pimping ps3 on how ffxiv cant run on xbox. Square has always been a big contender for Sony playstation (nintendo before them) They are not a big PC developer. They do FF MMOs on the pc because thats the main media there developed on but the goal is a MMO for console.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

If you think this game is going F2P You dont know anything about Square. This isnt a cheap trick like TSW (who didnt see that going f2p with a damn cash shop with a box and sub fee at day 1). Why do you think they put it back in developement.  This isnt Funcom or another one of Lucas Arts screw Star Wars franchise for a cheap money grab ( youtube: kinect han solo) or Cryptic.......

Hell the PC version was just icing on the cake for FFXIV. There main goal is PS3/PS4... even did a big article pimping ps3 on how ffxiv cant run on xbox. Square has always been a big contender for Sony playstation (nintendo before them) They are not a big PC developer. They do FF MMOs on the pc because thats the main media there developed on but the goal is a MMO for console.

Square isn't a special snowflake, it's all about making money and they will not be able to make any money ever with the current system.  Simple as that, it's cost too much to make, they have too few players (which gets less all the time), they sold the box too cheap and the subs are too cheap.  

Unless you think they will run this game at a complete loss for its lifespan?  Free to play will happen, it's just common sense if you look at it.  PS3 didn't save it and neither will ps4.  The game cannot be profitable under the current system and if you look at it you can see that it was designed with f2p in mind, there are so many f2p cash shop staples in the game already.

Keep in mind the sad situation of SE financially right now and how the last guy was fired and replaced for his decisions that almost ruined the company, again.   SE are not in a strong position right now and no matter what anyone says, f2p will always be the most profitable system you can use.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

Square isn't a special snowflake, it's all about making money and they will not be able to make any money ever with the current system.  Simple as that, it's cost too much to make, they have too few players (which gets less all the time), they sold the box too cheap and the subs are too cheap.  

Unless you think they will run this game at a complete loss for its lifespan?  Free to play will happen, it's just common sense if you look at it.  PS3 didn't save it and neither will ps4.  The game cannot be profitable under the current system and if you look at it you can see that it was designed with f2p in mind, there are so many f2p cash shop staples in the game already.

Keep in mind the sad situation of SE financially right now and how the last guy was fired and replaced for his decisions that almost ruined the company, again.   SE are not in a strong position right now and no matter what anyone says, f2p will always be the most profitable system you can use.

Just because they posted losses, does not mean they are almost ruined. They have tons a cash and still have successful games. They definitely needed to get their act together, and it looks like they laid out plans to do that. Also, Wada wasn't fired, he stepped down. He still works at SE, just at a lower position. Yoshi-P has already said they'd be fine with 400k subs.

If you think they can't make back the investment on the game with P2P, what makes you think F2P would be any different?

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

FFXIV is nearly identical in it's staying power as every other MMO that has a similar design.

The people who like it will stay, the people who don't will leave.  Saying something will 'fail' though is hyperbolic, you are being absolutely unreasonable to make this post.

Here let me invoke Godwin's law and end this entire thread.

Nazi's.

There.  Thread over.

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043
    Originally posted by Miotoss03

The OP is a troll nothing more nothing less. He hit 50 and quit because he couldnt kill titan he sounds bitter in his words.

Your entire post is total garbage and opinion, and judging by it, you read none of the pages past the OP. You can feel free to search my character name on Lodestone: Cymdai Cyrex (Ultros) and see just how wrong you are. Keep in mind I haven't played the game in nearly 40 days now, too. Literally, every statement you made is just wrong, biased, and full of opinion-acting-as-fact.

Nothing infuriates me more than rabid fanboys. It's fine if you disagree with my thoughts, but blatantly lying and accusing me of not playing the game is simple lunacy.

And for the last time, having 1 dungeon that's hard (and it's ONLY hard because of the mandatory time-sink via seals; NOTHING ELSE about BC is hard; it's the fact you can't unlock the necessary gear to complete it in less than 7 weeks/without making tons of gil) doesn't make the game challenging. If 99% of the game is a total pushover that an untrained ape can handle, then the game is easy

I'm tired of people saying "Well no one has completed BC but 1 group!" The fact is, most people will never complete BC, and it's not only because of the time/gil commitment required to get that gear, but it's because they've already moved on past the game/simply don't care. As for your friends being so rich, good for them! What can they spend their money on? Absolutely nothing; because there's nothing to do, ESPECIALLY if you're running BC so successfully. You won't buy gear because they're crafters and can make their own, and there's zero other use for gil, other than saying "Haha I have the most!" until housing comes out (which is STILL a month away)

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• TakooTakoo Member CommonPosts: 149

Well I canceled my sub today.. Had a lvl 50 WHM, 30 BLM, 50 CRP, 40 BOT and most other crafts to 20.

WHM was full DL, myth and Relic +1.. a few coil drops only did coil 1 and 2 but could care less about the rest.  Dunno just nothing to do at the end.. The most ran thing our guild did was titan because coil had lock outs and whatnot. Might come back for 2.1 for a month and if that sucks I am just going to uninstall the game.

On the bright side for FFXIV, I did get to experience some of TESO. It wasn't anything special either.

I'm kind of afraid that this is where we're going to go with games in this industry moving forward. Generic game play based on a particular IP/Franchise. I certainly hope this isn't the case, but it just seems to me that nearly every MMO out there these days is turning out to be the equivalent of a palette swap.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Cymdai
    On the bright side for FFXIV, I did get to experience some of TESO. It wasn't anything special either.I'm kind of afraid that this is where we're going to go with games in this industry moving forward. Generic game play based on a particular IP/Franchise. I certainly hope this isn't the case, but it just seems to me that nearly every MMO out there these days is turning out to be the equivalent of a palette swap.

Thread is two months old and game is still going strong. You sure you want to keep bumping it?

Rather than re-post everything that's said (if you notice a lot of the topics on this board about how it isn't interesting/fun anymore) in this topic, bumping it seems easier.

Games don't fail overnight, either. Even Auto Assault took a long time to fail.

I didn't re-subscribe for November, and will not for December either.

If I hear enough good things about the content introduced in 2.1, then I might come back in January. As it stands, I completed everything I had any interest in doing in FFXIV.

Rather than re-post everything that's said (if you notice a lot of the topics on this board about how it isn't interesting/fun anymore) in this topic, bumping it seems easier.Games don't fail overnight, either. Even Auto Assault took a long time to fail.

So you admit that this has all been said before in multiple threads. But you feel it needs to be brought up again in a way which involves the least amount of effort....seriously? why.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Humm kinda sad that people lay awake at night or spend otherwise valuable time trying to think of why a game will fail. I mean I could see it if he was a developer trying to figure out how to make sure the games successful, but as just a plain internet x poster seems like a waste of time and far to negative a approach to life.
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Rather than re-post everything that's said (if you notice a lot of the topics on this board about how it isn't interesting/fun anymore) in this topic, bumping it seems easier.

Games don't fail overnight, either. Even Auto Assault took a long time to fail.

So you admit that this has all been said before in multiple threads. But you feel it needs to be brought up again in a way which involves the least amount of effort....seriously? why.

I can't tell if you misunderstood how I wrote it, or just don't understand what I was saying.

This topic has a lot of good discussion from both sides. Rather than re-tread on old discussion, why wouldn't you just bump a thread and let people read through it? 

Would you rather there be 20 topics, each individually discussing a flaw (the hacks, the latency issues, the lack of character customization, etc), or just have it all summed in one topic. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me...

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Cymdai Rather than re-post everything that's said (if you notice a lot of the topics on this board about how it isn't interesting/fun anymore) in this topic, bumping it seems easier.   Games don't fail overnight, either. Even Auto Assault took a long time to fail.
    I can't tell if you misunderstood how I wrote it, or just don't understand what I was saying.

This topic has a lot of good discussion from both sides. Rather than re-tread on old discussion, why wouldn't you just bump a thread and let people read through it? 

Would you rather there be 20 topics, each individually discussing a flaw (the hacks, the latency issues, the lack of character customization, etc), or just have it all summed in one topic. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me...

I guess I don't understand what else there is to talk about with these issues you are having.

"I think this game lacks longevity and here's why...."
    two months later
    "Yep, I still think that..."

Seems pointless to me. Unless you enjoy being negative. Why would you want to rehash negativity?

• SephrinxSephrinx Member UncommonPosts: 94

As far as I am able to tell from reading the forums, my initial thoughts are still correct. This game sucks, and I knew it would.

From my experiences in the beta, I knew it was going to fail, as there are COUNTLESS issues. I am glad to see I was right. All those haters calling me a bullshitter and I don't know what I'm talking about. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/390163

imageimageimageimage

Originally posted by Sephrinx
    As far as I am able to tell from reading the forums, my initial thoughts are still correct. This game sucks, and I knew it would. From my experiences in the beta, I knew it was going to fail, as there are COUNTLESS issues. I am glad to see I was right. All those haters calling me a bullshitter and I don't know what I'm talking about.  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/390163

Reality begs to differ; but you enjoy that little bubble you're living in :)

• SephrinxSephrinx Member UncommonPosts: 94
    lol ^

imageimageimageimage

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293

[quote] [i]Originally posted by Sephrinx[/i] [b]As far as I am able to tell from reading the forums, my initial thoughts are still correct. This game sucks, and I knew it would.[/b] [b] [/b] [b]From my experiences in the beta, I knew it was going to fail, as there are COUNTLESS issues. I am glad to see I was right. All those haters calling me a bullshitter and I don't know what I'm talking about.[/b][/quote] 

Why are you glad to see that you are right (assuming that you are)?  I never understood how people can be so happy when a game that they don't like seems to have problems.

Edit: hmm, not sure how I screwed up the format - sorry about that :)

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Scott23
    Why are you glad to see that you are right (assuming that you are)?  I never understood how people can be so happy when a game that they don't like seems to have problems.

Don't worry about the formatting, this forum software is utterly crap and mangles it for you.

Aside from that - yeah, this is what I thought when I read that. Really, your glad a game is failing and people may even lose jobs over it? Just so you sit with some sort of superiority complex and strut that you were right?

I would love it if the game stuck around for ever and people fell into some cosmic harmony playing it - nothing would make me happier for those players and that game, even if I didn't like the game personally.

I don't like WoW - they have taken a direction I don't care for, but I'm not sitting back rooting for it to fail

People like you are those who sit and watch Nascar just to see the wrecks, and get disappointed if someone doesn't die.

(just for clarification, that's not aimed at Scott23, that's aimed at whomever he was quoting, which I deleted out because the shitty forum software kept mangling it on my end too)

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Nice post to OP.

I agree with most of your points but I could pretty much summarize why I didn't continue with my sub:

I ran out of content and their patching process is beyond slow. 4 months for a mediocre patch of one primal boss, 2 dungeons, an entry raid, some cosmetic crap and a couple of player housing features?

If they wanted their foundation to withstand the force of the MMO community they should have thought about fast turn-around on patches or the re-playability of the game.

After 2 classes to 50, I felt sick to the stomach at the thought of doing more FATEs or dungeon grinding to level.