Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ingame store, first step to F2P ?

Just wanting to get other peoples opinions on the ingame store, How likely is it that this is the first step towards F2P ?

I really hope it isn't.

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034

Sorry my friend but,

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

• Ahh well, Guess it's time for a new game, Really don't like the F2P models.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I don't think so.  The only confirmed place getting things like exp potions is asia.  I imagine it's just going to make it easier to buy pets/mount and account services in game for the NA/EU.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I don't foresee them going down the F2P route any time soon.  The best you'll see is something like 1-60 being free to play in the time to come.  Possibly even up to level 85 being free.

Though the latter is farther still away from the possibility of the level 60 being such.  The item shop is definitely a technology in place that they could draw from when the time does come when they're ready to make the leap.  Though their position on F2P changes on a year by year basis.  Their latest is that they have no interest in such and are satisfied with the subscription plan as it is.  They mention that only games that were built from the ground up to be F2P are successful in such.  Though at the same time, they are putting in technology that will help the transition for such if they change their mind again in the future.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by NetSage
    I don't think so.  The only confirmed place getting things like exp potions is asia.  I imagine it's just going to make it easier to buy pets/mount and account services in game for the NA/EU.

That's like saying there is a fire in the other room of the house but I'm going to ignore it because I don't use that room and it will never spread to where I'm hanging out.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I'm not saying it will never happen but I don't see it happening within 6 months after the next expansion is released so over year.
  • They said in the Blizzcon that Wow future F2P Model, not going to happen.

around 9:34...

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    WoW doesn't need to go F2P. All they are doing is milking some more cash out of players with more expendable income.
  • EunuchmakerEunuchmaker Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by goboygo
    Originally posted by NetSage

That's like saying there is a fire in the other room of the house but I'm going to ignore it because I don't use that room and it will never spread to where I'm hanging out.

No, that's like saying that the people that built your house built one like it in asia, and it is now on fire.  Maybe the builders set the fire themselves, maybe not. 

I'm not gonna worry about it until mine catches fire.

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by evilastro
    WoW doesn't need to go F2P. All they are doing is milking some more cash out of players with more expendable income.

Thanks god. 

Wow comminity has become of of the more mature ones. The kids are now playing free to play mmos like GW2 , SWTOR or Lorto.

If it take 15 bugs a month to keep the idiot kids form my game, then I will pay it.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I don't mind if they finally decide to go F2P. It would bring back quite a few people, although it doesn't necessarily need the population too much it's still got quite a few packed servers, and more people than 99% of the mmo's on the market. We haven't seen how blizzard handles F2P cash shop type games, so who knows, they like to take the best part of other games and add it to theirs, so why wouldn't they take the best cash shop ideals and use them. 
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Dicehunter

Just wanting to get other peoples opinions on the ingame store, How likely is it that this is the first step towards F2P ?

I really hope it isn't.

Not very.  F2P is a business model for games that can't attract subscribers.  WoW still has around 7 million so F2P isn't something they have to think about.  That's not to say Blizzard won't try and extract more money from people with an obnoxious item shop, but it won't have anything to do with F2P.

You make me like charity

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

No way Wow goes completely F2P anytime soon. They are still raking in the dough and have 0 reason to go FtP. It's just so you can buy mounts and pets ingame.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    You can play 1-20 free with limitations with the Starter Edition. And there are guides to maximize playability.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191

Are you referring to the in game store that was put in 5 months ago, and only sells (and is only planned to sell) an XP pot for Asia only? That in game store? The one that sparked the exact same thread on this very same site months ago, only to get debunked by Blizzard themselves many times back then, and as recent as Blizzcon 2 weeks ago? The same in game store who nobody posting in this thread thus far can access?