Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which old school MMO did you like the most?

2»

Comments

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

no game to date has done what uo has i spent 8 years playing that game and loved it the exploration the friends  that became real life friends  the macking the hunting of reds the hiding as a red  augh was great shit  the chat at bank

• sneakerz007sneakerz007 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by shava

Absolutely can not beat the community in SWG pre-NGE -- beyond the skill system and all, the community that was encouraged by the housing and city building and guild and cantina-healing battle fatigue entertainment system?  Plus, best player housing system TO DATE.  WTF folks?  Is it that hard to catch up with something that was that good when WOW came out?

Which is why there are so many SWG vets with PTSD out there.  The system naturally encouraged community ties that were organic.

Current game systems naturally encourage game play that minimizes the obligation to ever interact or know anyone.  Reputation systems have to do with NPCs, not with your rep with other players.  Ryzom, SWG, Eve and a few other games were/are good at creating a sense of exception to this through community mechanisms, politics, etc.

It may be that it takes a niche game.  But it may be that we need to figure ways to sustain niche games -- we can't sustain but so many re-skinned WOW clones...especially now that F2P tears down all loyalty and staying power with any particular title unless there's very very clever game design, marketing and community management involved. (maybe irresistable IP but that can get so easily pooched...)

You're absolutely right, not only was SWG my first MMO, but the best MMO i ever played to date. I been searching for something similar and still have not found it. I remember when the deserts were barren and how slowly but surely it became populated. That game was a true sandbox. Everything in that game was great. I have not been able to find a community like the one i experienced in SWG. I'm still hoping for something similar.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    The only one I played on that list is SWG so it gets my vote.  My "some other game" choice is Neocron.  It seems like I'm one of the few that played that game among the posters here.  Kinda makes it feel more exclusive image

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GilbortrundGilbortrund Member Posts: 23
    AC showed me what it felt like to be transported to another world.  Your first will always be the best.  This may be one of the reasons why so many old timers just can't get into the new waves of mmo's.  Very difficult to replicate that first experience.
  • SorcerousKhanSorcerousKhan Member UncommonPosts: 164

Not a day goes by where I don't miss Star Wars: Galaxies.

Specifically, the first few weeks, when none of us knew what the hell we were doing, but we knew it was awesome.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I voted EQ, but it is so hard for me to say EQ or UO....I often put them both at my #1 for their types.

1. EQ

2. UO

3. DAoC (best rvr I have played)

4. VG

5. SWG (Yes, it needed balancing/fixing and more content, but not different content imo).

That is my top 5, played WoW beta, but it felt like a easier EQ that tried to mix in the feel of DAoC, but with no real purpose/game play in beta for the two sides.....I felt like If I wanted to play RvR, I would play DAoC, and for dungeons and such, EQ...So I never did go back and play it to this day.  Not to hate, just figure people will wonder why it is not there, as many think it is a must.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

You haven't lived till you have been buffed by a Twi'lek entertainer in SWG.

Also props to Docs and sniping Banthas.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I voted for DAOC, since I'm currently playing a 2003 freeshard version of it.

But EVE would be right at the top with it, neck in neck for my two favorite old school games.

Honorable mentions to Shadowbane, Lineage  1 and 2.

Due to the longevity of the above titles, I never got to play most of the others on the list during their hey days, and the ones I wish I really could have tried are UO, AC and SWG.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Nothing beats Star Wars Galaxies pre NGE era. It was one of the few games that wasn't about the gear. SWG was about what you did with yourself and your skills. Pre NGE also didn't give you everything on day one. You had to really work hard if you wanted to be a Jedi. That was really the best part. Jedi were a rare elite class and it was totally worth it. It wasn't a class every 12 year old and their mom would have because it had to be unlocked through herculean effort. There was a saying "You don't chose the Jedi, the Jedi choose you." Then there was the PvP and omg creature handlers. For the casuals the game offered actually worthwhile crafting, non-instanced housing, player built cities, player owned taverns, etc. In their own way Entertainers were as well respected as Jedi. Overall SWG was the total package that couldn't be beat.

The number 2 old school game I really liked was Lineage II with its mindblowingly huge open world. It was completely seamless with no zoning too. Best parts were the huge castle siege PvP and the way you could just PK anyone, anywhere, for any reason. Even though this game was a themepark it had the feel of a dangerous sandbox. When I played in 2004 it felt like this game had the potential to take over the entire genre. It had 2 million subs world wide but NCsoft didn't maintain it right. By 2006 bots had taken over and ruined the economy. Many L2 players in the US migrated to private servers or quit entirely. But before the bot plague this game was simply amazing.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635

1. Ultima Online 1998 up until 2002 for me. ( I occasionally still play on Player run servers only)

2. EVE Online Red Moon Rising Era ( I still play and love this game)

3. WoW for only the first 6 months after release. ( did not enjoy after vanilla after numerous attempts)

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    EVE

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Gilbortrund
    AC showed me what it felt like to be transported to another world.  Your first will always be the best.  This may be one of the reasons why so many old timers just can't get into the new waves of mmo's.  Very difficult to replicate that first experience.
    I disagree. EQ was my first MMO. It had many, many things I did not enjoy, yet still had a great time, mainly due to it being a new experience for me.

City of Heroes has been my favorite MMORPG thus far. I voted "Other", hoping CoH made it out before WoW (CoH: April 2004).

I also loved playing Wizard101 for the time I was there. Their turn based combat was the best I have experienced yet, though it was ONLY magical spell battles.

I can not get into "new MMOs" because there is nothing to get into. Nothing to do with looking for that first time feeling again. Tell me new MMOs are NOT different from old MMOs and then we can talk.

Your last line is true, though, but I am not looking to recreate that. You can lose your virginity only once, no matter what some psychobabble or religious groups say. Never again will I feel that first time rush as I got with EQ. I'm fine with that :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Voted other for Shadowbane.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

UO

Asherons Call

Horizons (now Istaria).

Ryzom.

Good games, but long, LONG past their prime.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Voted FFXI
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    I voted for UO but I get the feeling I may have picked SWG if I had played it. Everybody who played it speaks so highly of it and with more confidence than fans of any other games, it seems. Also I love Star Wars soooo....
  • hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529
    How come Tibia is not listed ? This poll is stupid !