Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge: What's Up with ArcheAge

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds' CEO Scott Hartsman took time from his schedule to be interviewed by ArcheAge Source about what Trion Worlds has been up to recently with regard to the game's Western release. Hartsman talks about the localization efforts, game improvements and much more.

It’s been a while since we’ve said anything about ArcheAge. What’s the hold up?

I mentioned some of this in my last update on AA a few weeks ago in an MMO is insanely hard. To do it with four different locales lined up behind the initial launch is like doing it on insanely-hard mode, and the job XL has done so far with so many pressures has really been commendable.

While the time between signing and where we are now has also been frustrating for me as a gamer, as a producer I understand that it’s for the best. This is mostly for two reasons:

• XL can only work on so many things at a time while they strive to constantly improve their live Korean service, and that’s necessitated them working on the partnered launches serially. Working on all the locales at once would have put them in a spot where they couldn’t succeed with any of them.

• Our locale being where it is in the lineup (after Russia) means that we’ll be benefitting from a lot of what they’ve learned with both their native game as well as the locales in between.
The great news out of Russia this week, about the Russian closed beta beginning this December, does mean that XL will be able to return focus to Trion’s locales, which is very well timed -- It comes right as we’re able to talk a little about their incoming game improvements, which our version will be benefitting from by launching cleanly with them already in place.

Read more at the link above. It's a terrific interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Good to hear that Trion is still alive. Sometimes I wonder...lol

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I just want the core game with out all the cosmetic stuff.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    So basically XLGames was more focused on it being released in Russia and not a ton of work has been done for the NA version... Expect to wait another 10 years I guess. Majorly disappointed.

Smile

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I was really excited about this game ...2 years ago....Another 2 years before U.S. launch. Ummmm no thanks, not interested.
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

This game will end up contesting against TESO so there will be no contest IMO Asian or Western again no contest. IMO the game is already looking out of date and if they don't improve the game play from what I've already seen then it will just end up as another Linage type game but with bobbles on.

I'm not going to even bother beta testing never mind paying for it.

Asbo

Originally posted by NightBandit

This game will end up contesting against TESO so there will be no contest IMO Asian or Western again no contest. IMO the game is already looking out of date and if they don't improve the game play from what I've already seen then it will just end up as another Linage type game but with bobbles on.

Pretty sure this game is already better than ESO... Build houses where you want, be a pirate and sail on the seas, explore for underwater treasure in diving gear, sieges, gliding over vast plains, a court and jail system... Yeah, even if it is taking a ridiculous amount of time to be published in the NA I'd rather play this game than another generic themepark.

Also, I played the Open Beta of the game in Japan and the graphics look pretty great so no clue what you're going on about the graphics being "outdated."

Smile

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Eh was hoping for a late 2013 Western release for this, since that's not happening I don't plan on giving it a go anymore, shame. Got ESO to look forward to though.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    As each month ticks by is less and less money that Trion and XL is earning. The lack of updates and news concerning the game is already a sign of how the company feels about the NA playerbase. Can already see the lack of game updates and Trion's damage control trying to ease the NA playerbase into believing that XL gives a crap about us. 

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

I was excited now i just don't care about this game. 

Trion is taking way to long to get this game to the US. I am giving up on wanting any info on this game.  

Wow I just went on there website and there is no info just a beta sign up still after all this time nothing. What is Trion thinking?

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386
    The only thing I have to say is that the longer that it takes for XL games to put this game out in NA markets the more competition it will have from other games. When ArcheAge was first announced, and came out in Korea, I was very excited about playing it, but now that the NA release has continued to be delayed and other games have been announced I'm not nearly as excited about it as I once was.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by bbethel

Trion is taking way to long to get this game to the US. I am giving up on wanting any info on this game.  

Wow I just went on there website and there is no info just a beta sign up still after all this time nothing. What is Trion thinking?

How far did you read into this interview before you posted this ? 2 words ? 3 ?

Originally posted by bbethel

As someone else pointed out, this is mainly XLGames fault and there seeming indifference towards the NA. Although I blame Trion for not having the gall to speak up and tell XLGames that they need to communicate better and more frequently than they do.

Smile

• wangkomwangkom Member Posts: 119
    I cant friggin believe that Russia will have a beta before the NA, what a big joke.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by wangkom
    I cant friggin believe that Russia will have a beta before the NA, what a big joke.

Here's why. In America the game needs to be "Blizzard Perfect" or the forums and rating pages will erupt with 1 scores. Russians are gritty gamers much like the Chinese. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • PicchuPicchu Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by bcbully

Here's why. In America the game needs to be "Blizzard Perfect" or the forums and rating pages will erupt with 1 scores. Russians are gritty gamers much like the Chinese. 

This pretty much. Which is why I'm still surprised that XL is willing to work with a NA version. As seen from this thread, it will just be "Why can't they put the US first for EVERYTHING??????? We're obviously the best and XL just HATES us!! They need to put us first for all content releases (before even Korea), make sure we have hotfixes 5 minutes after the forums discover a problem, and just make us feel like the wonderful thing that the US is!"

I say this as a proud US citizen.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

So practically he had nothing to say about the western release, except that it's happening sometime in the future. Gee, thanks Scott!

I'm so excited! Oh wait, I'm not, really. Not anymore.

Either they are completely oblivious to what it means to build and upkeep hype, or the game is still years away from being released in the west. I'm hoping for the former, but fearing for the latter.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Off the radar...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by DMKano

It's amazing how folks are not getting the real point -read between the lines - XL Delayed the US release, because they want to fix the issues that Koreans players have complained about the most. Trion is doing damage control here and looking like the bad guys - but that's what you have to do sometimes.

And as someone who plays AA on Korean servers I agree.

If AA was released as is - today - in US/EU - players would not get why there are 30 levels of questing and hubs. People would be - I thought this was a sandbox - WTF!!!

Yeah, the first 30 levels are a tutorial, which makes no sense to any western gamer - XL is fixing that and lots of other things.

So, people want things NOW without realizing that it's actually better to wait for a few more months and have a 10x better game that western audience can actually appreciate more.

But, forget all I said - just keep blaming Trion for everything, lol 

That was a problem I noticed with the Japan version as well. Basically it felt like a linear themepark for 30 levels before the real fun began which was sort of a bummer.

I am glad they are fixing these issues it just seems like most people have lost interest due to having to wait so long.

Smile

• hasho83hasho83 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Dohhh im starting to learn Russian language .....
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by DMKano

It's amazing how folks are not getting the real point -read between the lines - XL Delayed the US release, because they want to fix the issues that Koreans players have complained about the most. Trion is doing damage control here and looking like the bad guys - but that's what you have to do sometimes.

And as someone who plays AA on Korean servers I agree.

If AA was released as is - today - in US/EU - players would not get why there are 30 levels of questing and hubs. People would be - I thought this was a sandbox - WTF!!!

Yeah, the first 30 levels are a tutorial, which makes no sense to any western gamer - XL is fixing that and lots of other things.

So, people want things NOW without realizing that it's actually better to wait for a few more months and have a 10x better game that western audience can actually appreciate more.

But, forget all I said - just keep blaming Trion for everything, lol 

I just don't get how removing 30 levels of quest content would take a year to do? ;)

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by NightBandit

Pretty sure this game is already better than ESO... Build houses where you want, be a pirate and sail on the seas, explore for underwater treasure in diving gear, sieges, gliding over vast plains, a court and jail system... Yeah, even if it is taking a ridiculous amount of time to be published in the NA I'd rather play this game than another generic themepark.

Also, I played the Open Beta of the game in Japan and the graphics look pretty great so no clue what you're going on about the graphics being "outdated."

Regardless, get excited for something for long enough and it can dwindle down and eventually the excitement goes. This is why hype is a bad thing.

• Originally posted by wangkom

This.

I was excited now i just don't care about this game. If you game developer and if you ignore big player base dont worry, they will ignore you too. Its nature instinct.. 

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245

Wow, I was in Korean CB5 like a year and a half ago. While I really, really liked the game..... I worry that by the time it comes out in the US it will already be dated.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Ekadd

This.

I was excited now i just don't care about this game. If you game developer and if you ignore big player base dont worry, they will ignore you too. Its nature instinct.. 

You think russia is a small player base ? If world of tanks had to shut down Russia or NA guess which one they'd pick...without having to ever give it a second though ?

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

I remember when TRION picked up the game, and was excited for it way over a year ago. That excitement is dwindling with the release of newer sandbox titles, It's safe to say that it's lost the advantage it had back in the day.

People have demanded for any type of word on when the game will hit shores for NA. It's already the end of the year and nothing significant has been planned, just some small talks that really don't tell us anything that we want to hear. Basically if you don't tell us when the game will be released on our shores. Respectfully DIE IN A BLAZING FIRE! AHHHHH!!! *ehem*

I'm quite disappointed and ashamed in TRION and hope they never pick up another game again. TRION - SHAMRFUR DISPRAY! - The russians are getting ahead of us for crying out loud! THE FLIPPIN RUSSIANS!

This wait is horrible just.....ughhh..... and I think if you make us wait any longer!

we will all end up like arnold below ;(