Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep Launches

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Turbine has announced that, after a two day delay, the Lord of the Rings Online expansion, Helm's Deep, has officially launched. To celebrate the announcement, Turbine also has released a brand new trailer. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    Bought it and ready to start playing lotro again. Just saw the new skill trees and they aren't bad. You have 2 builds you can switch between and can purchase another. Warden and guardian that I checked so far have defensive/offensive/support trees but haven't check the other classes.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    tempting.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

Good. Good.

This expansion was everything I expected. Although, there were some problems at the beginning it definitely worked out in the end. So far, the skills are amazing and the responsiveness on the skills have been surprisingly good.

My Guardian has never been more awesome.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    I have been on a MMORPG hiatus so I will be giving this game another go. Unfortunately I am running into an issue where the game is downloaded and it is telling my I have no subscription so I have to get past that first. All in all the game was ok the last time I tried it but I didn't get anywhere so I am starting fresh. Should be fun once I get in

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    Bought it and ready to start playing lotro again. Just saw the new skill trees and they aren't bad. You have 2 builds you can switch between and can purchase another. Warden and guardian that I checked so far have defensive/offensive/support trees but haven't check the other classes.

Warden is particularly bad right now -- from the player-made guide that they linked to in the official patch notes, it took a beating. One of the biggest issues is that the warden can't properly tank now... the combos required for the various buffs take too long to cast so they are dropping before you can get them all up.  This was apparently noted/reported to the devs months earlier but the person in charge of wardens is apparently not much of a forum poster.  Since my wife's main character was her warden, I can't get her interested in returning to the game. (and honestly, the thought of re-rolling and levelling back up through some of that content fills me with dread so I'm not sure if I will put much time into it either)

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Downloading update now.  Can.  Not.  Wait.  
  • LimitationsLimitations Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Checking it out, maybe coming back.

Who said this won't be perfect after all we know what is right
    And the sounds of bodies clashing is enough to make them cry.
    You know this cannot be perfect even when it is feeling right.
    And the sound of bodies crashing echo through the night.

• AtliJorundAtliJorund Member Posts: 13
    I decided to check it out and was displeased. I logged on at what should have been peak hours but only saw two souls in about an hour. So much has changed in the year that I haven't played. You don't even pick up your own loot anymore, it's stored and you have to select what you want to keep from a menu within an hour or it disappears. To me, even though it's a small change to some, was the nail in the coffin. That and super-fast leveling (making Bree a ghost town now) killed it for me. 
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by winghaven1

Good. Good.

This expansion was everything I expected. Although, there were some problems at the beginning it definitely worked out in the end. So far, the skills are amazing and the responsiveness on the skills have been surprisingly good.

My Guardian has never been more awesome.

Thats because they took some of the awesomeness of my Warden and gave it to the guardian.

(smiles) but then, it will take months untill everything is ballanced again.

First people need to learn and play their classes again and then we really know how the ballance has been shift. All in all i still have the feeling that i am playing the same game, which is good as i loved that game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I really like the combat change so far. It's much more fluid. I think they did really well with that part, at least what I can tell so far.

My lore-master feels nothing like it did before and the skill tree decisions felt like wearing another person's underwear. On the other hand the Keeper of Animals seemed really OP in a good and fun way. For those who've never played the game, or haven't played for long this is probably great. For me, I just want my LM back where it was sometime around Moria. Since that's not happening I'll either deal or leave it.

I haven't tried my hunter or minstrel yet. The skill tree changes for one class were enough to soak in for one night. I played for about a half hour. It was okay. I'll keep with EQ2 for a while until I see how the balance changes go down or get curious again.

I was just about to ask about the combat.  How's different is it?  Is it still slow or faster paced? 

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by AtliJorund
    I decided to check it out and was displeased. I logged on at what should have been peak hours but only saw two souls in about an hour. So much has changed in the year that I haven't played. You don't even pick up your own loot anymore, it's stored and you have to select what you want to keep from a menu within an hour or it disappears. To me, even though it's a small change to some, was the nail in the coffin. That and super-fast leveling (making Bree a ghost town now) killed it for me. 

IIRC you can disable auto loot

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Super fast leveling, now that is hilarious.  This game is still one of the slower leveling games out there, that is one of the benefits.  Sure you can spend a bunch of money and get your character to Moria quickly if that is what you mean, but it is not cheap.

The automatic storing of loot is one of the best features I have seen in a MMO, you are not constantly complaining about bag space, you can wait to sell when you get to a merchant.  How anyone cannot like that feature is beyond me.   

Bree is hoping on the servers I play on.  There are a lot of people who play this game and more every day.

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283

Lol..1-12 players EPIC battles. Sounds suspiciously like another skirmish.

Have fun though....

• ojustabooojustaboo Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Super fast leveling, now that is hilarious.  This game is still one of the slower leveling games out there, that is one of the benefits.  Sure you can spend a bunch of money and get your character to Moria quickly if that is what you mean, but it is not cheap.

The automatic storing of loot is one of the best features I have seen in a MMO, you are not constantly complaining about bag space, you can wait to sell when you get to a merchant.  How anyone cannot like that feature is beyond me.   

Bree is hoping on the servers I play on.  There are a lot of people who play this game and more every day.

Hmm, have you read the threads complaining about how easy it is to level on the official forums?

Here's a couple

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532052-An-easy-game-just-got-very-easy

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?531788-They-made-it-super-easy

It's also interesting to hear you say about all the new players joining everyday, hopefully for Turbine they will replace the loads that have stated they are leaving everyday.  Many have found their mains so ruined they have simply rerolled to start from scratch, many others simply found the latest expansion the last straw.

Of course there are others that love the changes.

There has also been a LOT of heavy moderation on the forums since release.  I get up in the UK, go online when the US are still in bed, read post after post about people unhappy with the expansion,

I log on when the US are in work, and most of the threads have now been deleted without comment leaving only a very few mild ones and all the positive ones.

• ojustabooojustaboo Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by Rhime

Lol..1-12 players EPIC battles. Sounds suspiciously like another skirmish.

Have fun though....

Get it right :)

Each battle has to be run initially solo (or duo but the difficulties the same in duo mode)

When you've completed solo mode, 2 of the 5 can only be repeated in solo (or duo) mode

One you can do 12 man,

one you can do 6 man,

one you can do 3 man

If you like real time strategy games you may well love big battles, if you don't you probably will not. Many people like me who love MMos but not RTS games  have commented about this.

I like the way they make you feel like your in a battle with all the chaos thats going on around you, however, one moment your protecting whatever, helping in a huge fight, the next a side quest comes up and you can just trundle off and forget about your fighting comrades and so the side quest. 

This makes the big battles feel like your input is not really needed or achieving anything to alter the course of the battle outcome and people have tried simply standing there and have still completed it (ok not with such a great reward)

Big Battles has a lot of potential but something is badly flawed at the moment with too many people feeling their input is pointless. I prefer running the old skirmishes.

I would not call the big battles epic in any way.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I'm in the fortunate position of having an excellent kinship on Crickhollow server and yesterday we ran the new 12 man raid a few times.

The first time was chaos and we failed miserably. The second time we learnt a few things and structured ourselves better and lasted longer. The last time we completed it (only on bronze but we finished it). We had an absolute ball and it felt great to see a group of kinnies get their act together and get through this.

If you can find yourself a good kin (and this game has one of the best communities), this game is a real pleasure.

The only downside I see so far is I think people will probably start farming the glittering caves 3 man instance for the platinum rewards. There is motivation to do the larger raids (promotion points) but the fast track may be the 3 man run.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• dadowndadown Member UncommonPosts: 210
    For those that don't think you can level fast, I saw THREE level 95s online the day after the expansion was released! I don't rush my leveling, so my main has only advanced to 86. I'm enjoying the new content and think its one of the better expansions.

My main complaint is that the initial questing is too linear. You can't just venture into the new areas and start picking up quests; you have to follow the epic quest line.
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Loving it so far.  Decided to shelve my high level hunter for the time being and start from scratch with a Champion, which has always been my favorite class.  I haven't played a Champ in a long time, so I can't comment on how badly it's been nerfed, but I will say that The Deadly Storm spec is so much fun to play.  Makes the slayer deed grinding so much more enjoyable.  Just ride around on my mount, round up as many mobs as I can, and then burn them down.  Add to that the the combat animations are so much more fluid, and it makes combat  a lot more fun.  

Haven't tried any epic battles yet, but so far I'm having a great time with the new "old" content.  I'll arrive back in Rohan on my own time.  I'm in no rush.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by ojustaboo

Hmm, have you read the threads complaining about how easy it is to level on the official forums?

Here's a couple

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?532052-An-easy-game-just-got-very-easy

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?531788-They-made-it-super-easy

It's also interesting to hear you say about all the new players joining everyday, hopefully for Turbine they will replace the loads that have stated they are leaving everyday.  Many have found their mains so ruined they have simply rerolled to start from scratch, many others simply found the latest expansion the last straw.

Of course there are others that love the changes.

There has also been a LOT of heavy moderation on the forums since release.  I get up in the UK, go online when the US are still in bed, read post after post about people unhappy with the expansion,

I log on when the US are in work, and most of the threads have now been deleted without comment leaving only a very few mild ones and all the positive ones.

Welll either those complainers about the leveling are just whining for the sake of whining or they are not playing Lotro.  Leveling has changed little over the course of this games lifetime.  Yep you can spend money to speed it up, nothing wrong with that, some people have jobs and can't spend all day leveling.   Those thread you posted are just a lot of nonsense!

• NyadachNyadach Member UncommonPosts: 8

Why oh why can't Turbine be creative and think for themselves. This is nothing but another lets look at the other popular games out there and take the features and bodge them into LOTRO with as much duct tape as possible to try and get them to work. We play(ed) LOTRO because it was LOTRO, not some fudge of features they cobble together from the latest fad. 

These are no longer the characters I've been playing for the last 6 odd years. Not interested in this even with the fantastic lore which Helms Deep is. Was I looking forward to Helms Deep? yes. Was I willing to sacrifice my characters just to pay it a visit. No. Thank you but not interested Turbine.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by ojustaboo

Super fast leveling, now that is hilarious.  This game is still one of the slower leveling games out there, that is one of the benefits. 

Welll either those complainers about the leveling are just whining for the sake of whining or they are not playing Lotro.  Leveling has changed little over the course of this games lifetime. 

There's a difference between fast and easy. LotRO was always a bit generous on xp, but the changes during the last year indeed gave the leveling a boost (and not only has changed little). Right now if you start a zone on level, and playing the story (so not skipping any quests), by the time you reach the 2/3 of the zone everything will be grey around you. Without any xp boost, or skirmish, or rest xp, of course. And it's not a coincidence, it's for backing up the Turtle pebble sales... :I

So while your "still one of the slower leveling games" statement is correct, it's much faster now than it was a couple years ago. LotRO is only among the slower leveling ones because of the much weaker competitors :) and because of this new, lame, "push them to the cap as soon as we can" trend among mmo's.

On a different subject, I also started many new characters to check the changes from scratch like RebelScum. I play mostly hobbits and men, so I was surprised with my new dwarf that the introduction is changed to a completely different story. Where's the great line of Skorgrím's defeat, Talagan and the Library of Edhelion? It was amazing... Is it a HD change, or it happened a year ago alongside the Archet rewrite?

edit: nevermind, I found it, it was with the Archet change. Seems I haven't started elf / dwarf since a long time :)

• HaitesHaites Member Posts: 69

I've only really logged in a few times and the skill trees and changes are most unwelcome.  The game already felt too much like WoW and now they are pushing it further in that direction.