Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's the solo game in this MMO?

SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I'm thinking about giving this game a try, but I thought I'd ask a few questions first of those who've played it.

A few questions:

1.   I've no interest in PvP, RvR, etc.  None.

2.  I've little interest in grouping or raiding.   As such, how limited will I be gear-wise?   What quality of gear can I reasonably expect to be able to obtain through non-group methods?

3.  I read on another forum that crafters can craft some BIS (best in slot) gear.   How much of a time investment is required to do this?   To get the rare materials for crafting such items, is grouping required?

4.  What is the best soloable class?   I've read the class list from the main page, and the pet classes look interesting to me, with the possible exception of sorceror; it seems too much like a warlock from Wow.

5.   What kind of levelling speed can I expect?   I'm not a rush to cap gamer, but I don't want it taking several months either.

Thank you.

Comments

• Shroomie824Shroomie824 Member Posts: 2

1) Really wouldn't go for DAoC if you're not interested in PvP / RvR.  This is what is holding DAoC up now days.

2) Not that limited, most of the gear can be bought and you could farm all the gold yourself.  So nearly top-tier gear, top-tier if you really farm a lot.

3) Not much, now days you could macro most of it (while you are at your PC of course.)  Nothing is really rare for crafting when looking at other games.

4) Solo, no RvR, no group, hands down Vamp.  More points could be made if you plan to have a buff bot.

5) The speed is super fast now.  Learning curve aside, you can be 50 solo in at most 40 hours.

Again, DAoC was a fun game, but it really is all about the PvP now.  Just something to think about as you look to add this one to your gamers resume.

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

1.  I would head to the Gaheris server for strictly PvE.  I never PvP'd in DAOC and enjoyed this game tremendously.

2.  For solo play, your gear choices won't be that limited.  Many things that used to require groups and even raids, such as artifacts in the Atlantis expansion, can be gotten through solo methods by grinding mobs for certain drops.  There is some great end game dragon gear that can also be gotten from solo grinding drops.  At low and mid levels, you can solo aurulite instances to acquire the drops needed to purchase armor on aurulite vendors.

3.  Crafting is a long grind and offers some really good gear and weapons (especially specific damage types), but I don't know enough of the details for rare components. 

4.  Most would probably say necro for solo class.  Personally, I used my friar to get the more difficult jobs done as I never can get into the necro class.

5.  Leveling is pretty quick as there are so many methods to get it done.  If you wanted to purely grind, you can do task dungeons over and over.  Also you get one free level every three days for every level you obtain on your own (at least on Gaheris).

Although you aren't looking for groups, I'd find a guild that is part of the main alliance on Gaheris.  Will help tremendously for any new player questions and any other help you might need.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

Thank you very much for the answers.   I'll check it out.

• GhavalGhaval Member UncommonPosts: 49

If you do not like RvR/PvP then Gaheris is your best option in DAOC. There are however people that do no RvR on main servers, but the reward is not the same. 

And PvP in DAOC is different then other games I assure you.

• OthobOthob Member UncommonPosts: 34

OK.... this is a bit dated but same question... HATE pvp... HATE RvR.... if I wanna solo PVE what am I gonna wanna be class wise...

I know this is entirely subjective but hey... been thru everything on the forums back to mid 2011, things have changed so time to update the recommendations...  Thanks...

• Dr_NegativeDr_Negative Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Othob

OK.... this is a bit dated but same question... HATE pvp... HATE RvR.... if I wanna solo PVE what am I gonna wanna be class wise...

I know this is entirely subjective but hey... been thru everything on the forums back to mid 2011, things have changed so time to update the recommendations...  Thanks...

If I were to re-roll today with your stated intentions, I would roll a Necro. Back in the day Necromancers were kings of solo PvE. I am assuming it's still that way now. 

• MorfarothMorfaroth Member UncommonPosts: 22

Othob, you might want to check this out:

http://gaheris.net/index.html

Its the PVE server.  Not nearly as active as the RVR server but it has a die hard core of players.  Ask on their forums, they are very helpful.

For class, Paladin, Bone Dancer, Vampire, Enchanter, are all good solo PVE I think.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    DAoC is my favorite mmo. That said, it is not designed to be a good solo pve mmo. You will find better experiences for this in other games. That said, if you do go with it, the advice here is sound. Go Gaheris. You can explore all three realms, so picking a class doesnt restrict you regionally. Any pet class or a vampiir will level the fastest, but these days you can level quickly with almost ANY class solo. If you want to enjoy the leveling, don't worry about getting to 50 quickly... if you aren't RvRing there is no point to do so. Seriously, just pick a class with mechanics that appeal to you. And have fun :)