Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I dont know how this is popular.

makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

I mean i tried it again lol, from the first but it feels like the same game to me. The combat is just garbage, every mmo Ive played does it better. Starting with EQ. The crafting is garbage, its just a huge grind, the little game they put in there is point less. Where you have to click on things to get it to a hq. But still everything that is made by one person is made by every one. There is nothing setting crafters apart, other then who paid the spam bots to get them to 50, or some one who macroed, or some one who sat down for god knows how long clicking the same buttons over and over. I can say this though, the combat in the crafting is better then the games combat lol.

The story line is garbage lol, I dont think ive seen a more lazy story line in a mmo in my life, save like battlefield kind of games. I mean there is no point in the 3 citys they have, they literally have the same quests to the t, even the main story lines in all 3 citys are the same. The only difference is, in the forest city they talk like hillbillys, in the desert city they talk like city people, and in the ocean city they talk like pirates lol. This company was so lazy they even used the same character for all 3 story start missions, he just wears different cloths. Not to mention you cant even skip the starting movie thing, which is the same. I have no idea what is end game, but i dont even know how these people get there. You kill monsters over and over and over, with combat that should just be turned based to be more fun. The animations of combat are terrible. The bosses are just bigger versions of the stuff you see all around, and it looks retarded to see the combat in fates lol. 10 people attacking a huge thing slapping thin air.

There copy of rift, with the fate is terrible. I mean these fates just repeat over and over again. The story lines behind the fates just make it stupid, you go out and see the same fate over and over. Very immersion braking, to see the same 50 foot jelly fish, and the same 2 lovers over and over and over and over and over. The copy of vanguards crafting system was a failure to, vanguard did a much better job at the crafting and its free.

The only thing this game has is good graphics, and thats it. Everything else is worse then 3rd rate. They didnt even give you surround sound music. At least the surround sound works, I will give it that. I cannot even force my self to play this any more. I played about a week, got about 5 different characters to 15. 

I guess the new age mmo thats popular is mindless grind, of cute to retarded looking monsters over and over till you dont even know whats going on any more lol. 

Now with the bad start i had, with the patcher restarting from 0 mbs when my internet disconnected. The movie playing in half screen. The terrible combat, that the crafting mini game combat is more fun. The generic missions, and the story line written by my guess is a computer lol. And the major flaw the charter creation, is about as advanced as everquest 1 lol. There are almost no options for making your character different, there are options but they are few. All the bodies for the characters races will be the same. Minus how tall they are. The 0 lack in any characters be different from each other in terms of class. A warrior is a warrior is a warrior. I mean you could be a warrior with high int but it wouldent really make any difference in the end. About the only skill i could see you having in this game is, as a tank to make the npc that has that red line attack make it face away from your team mates, thats about it. 

this game should have like 3/10 stars, its a generic garbage game, with no redeeming features, and the only one that would play it is a fan boy. 

Comments

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

thanks for the opinion, but you know what they say about those......

seriously tho, I have heard good, I have heard bad.  Have I played it? no.  why am i commenting then? cuz I'm planning on picking it up tomorrow since it's dirt cheap at my local gamestop and I have a giftcard to burn so why not?   If I play the 30 days free I'm spending quite less than a buck a day, if I like it and sub, cool, I'm bored as hell with anything else out  there right now.  If I don't even make it thru the 30 days included, well, I'll let my kids play it for the rest of the month.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  yeah to the grammar nazis, I know my punctuation is way off and crappy right now but I haven't slept in 3 days and I just got off a 12 hr shift so forgive me LOL

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    It's Final Fantasy and it somehow got labeled as being "old school" which it certainly is not; maybe oldschool in the 2004 vanilla WoW sense. I played to 50 and then quit playing two days after that. The world is amazing looking, and I found crafting much better than the majority of MMO's out there, but unfortunately, once you hit 50, it becomes "yet another MMO." I don't think it's completely terrible like you do, but I don't think it's anything special. $30 for 30 days worth of casual entertainment -- that's about what I expect from an MMO these days. 
  • ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by makasouleater69

I mean i tried it again lol, from the first but it feels like the same game to me. The combat is just garbage, every mmo Ive played does it better. Starting with EQ. The crafting is garbage, its just a huge grind, the little game they put in there is point less. Where you have to click on things to get it to a hq. But still everything that is made by one person is made by every one. There is nothing setting crafters apart, other then who paid the spam bots to get them to 50, or some one who macroed, or some one who sat down for god knows how long clicking the same buttons over and over. I can say this though, the combat in the crafting is better then the games combat lol.

The story line is garbage lol, I dont think ive seen a more lazy story line in a mmo in my life, save like battlefield kind of games. I mean there is no point in the 3 citys they have, they literally have the same quests to the t, even the main story lines in all 3 citys are the same. The only difference is, in the forest city they talk like hillbillys, in the desert city they talk like city people, and in the ocean city they talk like pirates lol. This company was so lazy they even used the same character for all 3 story start missions, he just wears different cloths. Not to mention you cant even skip the starting movie thing, which is the same. I have no idea what is end game, but i dont even know how these people get there. You kill monsters over and over and over, with combat that should just be turned based to be more fun. The animations of combat are terrible. The bosses are just bigger versions of the stuff you see all around, and it looks retarded to see the combat in fates lol. 10 people attacking a huge thing slapping thin air.

There copy of rift, with the fate is terrible. I mean these fates just repeat over and over again. The story lines behind the fates just make it stupid, you go out and see the same fate over and over. Very immersion braking, to see the same 50 foot jelly fish, and the same 2 lovers over and over and over and over and over. The copy of vanguards crafting system was a failure to, vanguard did a much better job at the crafting and its free.

The only thing this game has is good graphics, and thats it. Everything else is worse then 3rd rate. They didnt even give you surround sound music. At least the surround sound works, I will give it that. I cannot even force my self to play this any more. I played about a week, got about 5 different characters to 15. 

I guess the new age mmo thats popular is mindless grind, of cute to retarded looking monsters over and over till you dont even know whats going on any more lol. 

Now with the bad start i had, with the patcher restarting from 0 mbs when my internet disconnected. The movie playing in half screen. The terrible combat, that the crafting mini game combat is more fun. The generic missions, and the story line written by my guess is a computer lol. And the major flaw the charter creation, is about as advanced as everquest 1 lol. There are almost no options for making your character different, there are options but they are few. All the bodies for the characters races will be the same. Minus how tall they are. The 0 lack in any characters be different from each other in terms of class. A warrior is a warrior is a warrior. I mean you could be a warrior with high int but it wouldent really make any difference in the end. About the only skill i could see you having in this game is, as a tank to make the npc that has that red line attack make it face away from your team mates, thats about it. 

this game should have like 3/10 stars, its a generic garbage game, with no redeeming features, and the only one that would play it is a fan boy. 

You have different tastes than this game offers.   Hundreds of thousands of people currently subscribing and playing clearly disagree with you.

There are a lot of things this game does well (polish/story/music/pve encounter design) but it seems you like different things and FFXIV didn't offer things you like in other games.   This game is far from "garbage" but it would take someone with a little more objectivity to realize that.

I think you came in knowing you wouldn't like and ended up confirming your own predisposition.  Good luck finding that suits your tastes.   Good news is, you won't have to repeat your mistake by subbing to the game.  

Consider it a lesson learned and move on.  You don't have to understand why we like it, you just have to move on to another game.  Good luck.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    It's Final Fantasy and it somehow got labeled as being "old school" which it certainly is not; maybe oldschool in the 2004 vanilla WoW sense. I played to 50 and then quit playing two days after that. The world is amazing looking, and I found crafting much better than the majority of MMO's out there, but unfortunately, once you hit 50, it becomes "yet another MMO." I don't think it's completely terrible like you do, but I don't think it's anything special. $30 for 30 days worth of casual entertainment -- that's about what I expect from an MMO these days. 

True that. 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

To be honest the games just ok, when you put it up against quality mmos it pales. Hmm perhaps quality and pale are the wrong words to use. The game has a certain style, you love it or hate imo, playing lotro again today you realize what a beautiful looking world and fantastic story the game has.

Both games have their good points.

• Wierd, looking at your forum history OP and it seems when you first started playing you were really liking just about everything about the game. Did it just get old? You couldn't have burned out at level 15.
    Originally posted by ZizouX

You have different tastes than this game offers.   Hundreds of thousands of people currently subscribing and playing clearly disagree with you.

There are a lot of things this game does well (polish/story/music/pve encounter design) but it seems you like different things and FFXIV didn't offer things you like in other games.   This game is far from "garbage" but it would take someone with a little more objectivity to realize that.

I think you came in knowing you wouldn't like and ended up confirming your own predisposition.  Good luck finding that suits your tastes.   Good news is, you won't have to repeat your mistake by subbing to the game.  

Consider it a lesson learned and move on.  You don't have to understand why we like it, you just have to move on to another game.  Good luck.

I will give you the music, but the story is far from polished. I have played a few final fantasy games, 7, 3, and tactics, and those story lines made me want to find out what was coming, but this games story is far from that. The story and quest are 100 percent generic and predictable, any one knows what the end is gonna be. I will give you the pve is polished in the limits of the game, but spending 10 mins hitting the same buttons every 2.5 seconds or so, on one creature, that has the same moves over and over is far from polished in my eyes. I mean the do do egg shooting end guy of the first level in the mario 2 game has more diversity and challenge then all the bosses ive faced in this game put together. That is sad, that a old nintendo game has more diversity, and challenge in its pve encounters then a 2013 mmo, that takes up 20 gbs. The story in that game is more thought provoking to, never would of thought it was just a dream of mario. And to say the music is 100 percent polish is trash to. Any one who has a true 5.1 surround or 7.1 will find that out. Since the music only plays out of the 2 front speakers. And i cannot figure out how to force it to all 5. I have tried all the options in the windows sound thing. Which works for most games but not for this, because it has its sound engine that says to play the music from 2 speakers. 

Originally posted by jonesing22
    Wierd, looking at your forum history OP and it seems when you first started playing you were really liking just about everything about the game. Did it just get old? You couldn't have burned out at level 15.

I did like it at first, I liked the graphics the music - the fact its not surround sound. I even was ok with the movie being half screen. But... Once I understood that all the characters would end up being the same, and  the combat wore on me after the 20 or so hours i played it. The fact that every mission is the same, and there is no difference between the citys. And everything else i said.  Also the fact that, since all the missions are the same, and the only way to level is, generic fates, and leve quest. I couldent get my self to want to play. There was no reason to want to get to 50. 

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

I will give you the music, but the story is far from polished. I have played a few final fantasy games, 7, 3, and tactics, and those story lines made me want to find out what was coming, but this games story is far from that. The story and quest are 100 percent generic and predictable, any one knows what the end is gonna be. I will give you the pve is polished in the limits of the game, but spending 10 mins hitting the same buttons every 2.5 seconds or so, on one creature, that has the same moves over and over is far from polished in my eyes. I mean the do do egg shooting end guy of the first level in the mario 2 game has more diversity and challenge then all the bosses ive faced in this game put together. That is sad, that a old nintendo game has more diversity, and challenge in its pve encounters then a 2013 mmo, that takes up 20 gbs. The story in that game is more thought provoking to, never would of thought it was just a dream of mario. And to say the music is 100 percent polish is trash to. Any one who has a true 5.1 surround or 7.1 will find that out. Since the music only plays out of the 2 front speakers. And i cannot figure out how to force it to all 5. I have tried all the options in the windows sound thing. Which works for most games but not for this, because it has its sound engine that says to play the music from 2 speakers. 

Well I guess you'll just have to become comfortable with the fact that others clearly disagree with your assessment of the game.

Well I guess you'll just have to become comfortable with the fact that others clearly disagree with your assessment of the game.

Nothing wrong with completely disagreeing with me, at all. In fact I am glad people do. I just felt like typing all that. 

I honestly just want 2 things from a mmo. First being every character to a reasonable degree is different, and 2 crafting stuff is worth while because each item should be different. Not every level 50 black smith makes the same sword to the t. I would even go for random stats. 
    I honestly just want 2 things from a mmo. First being every character to a reasonable degree is different, and 2 crafting stuff is worth while because each item should be different. Not every level 50 black smith makes the same sword to the t. I would even go for random stats. 

What is every character in these mmos a factory output machine lol.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Sadly this is what the MMO genre has degraded to, 30-60 days of fun. Such a pity really.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

You lost me when you said that the skills used in crafting don't make a difference.  I plan out my skills well and in return, I can craft HQ items with fewer other HQ items making me more money than the average crafter.  Cross-crafter skills also set crafters apart. 

Combat is slow to start, but if you've been in the high level instances you know combat is complex and requires constant focus and timing.  The idea is that they try not to scare new players and kids away with the low level dungeons being difficult, but trust me that you can get plenty of groups that make even the low level dungeons challenging and fun.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I agree the game is overrated and has a lot of faults but some of your points are truly ludicrous.  "it has the laziest story of any mmo" and comments like that make the credibility of your post 0 as far as I'm concerned. 
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I thought it was a decent game and worth the cost of the month I played it. After the free time was up I chose not to sub. I agree with some of the OPs points for sure. To me the game felt generic.

But that is just me. I do understand why some people like it, especially if you are a FF fan.

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by toddze

Sadly this is what the MMO genre has degraded to, 30-60 days of fun. Such a pity really.

Agree with you there Toddze....gone are the days of spending years enjoying one MMO. Now its a flavor of the month MMO.

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by Margulis
    I agree the game is overrated and has a lot of faults but some of your points are truly ludicrous.  "it has the laziest story of any mmo" and comments like that make the credibility of your post 0 as far as I'm concerned. 

Ludircrous my butt !

The story line WAS bad.

1) the simple quest has you moving across vast distances to do turn in's that give next to nothing exp. over and over.

2) At level 38 I got a quest to find three boxes. The quest tracker was no place on the map.  Well I found out why, the three boxes were at my feet infront of the quest giver. In other words click on quest click on boxes and turn it in....Talking about fillers to get the game out the door.........This, I think was the last straw for me. This is ware I stopped playing !

Originally posted by drivendawn
    I don't know how people like chocolate ice cream.

There is a difference between what i said, and saying what your saying. If you said I dont know how people like chocolate ice cream made carelessly, with rotten milk, and moldy chocolate.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Well. You are not the only person in the world, no matter how much it may seem that way to you. All those other free roaming points of consciousness have different tastes than you. It should not be surprising that there are enough free roaming consciousnesses who like something different than you so that even a game like AAR is popular.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

A lot of rubbish games make it to the number 1 slot on this website - and stay there for months and months on end. Yes, I'm looking at you Perpetuum and Darkfall Unholy Wars.

This is because hype generates a small hardcore group of players for certain types of games. This hardcore group will give the game 10/10 in every category. It takes many pissed off reviewers to correct the misleading bias.

Sandbox games tend to be the most over-rated because they are less common than theme-park games - so people hype them up because they are full of hope and want the game to succeed.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Umm without dissecting every last part,i will point to the credibility of the statement here.

Boss=Ifrit just using ONE example,he is like all the other mobs you face only a bigger version?It is not even the same type of combat anymore and definitely much more difficult.

I will agree the combat is not as good as it should be,but that is comparing it to FFXI which has the best.If i compare it to other games,then it is basically the same thing but with mutli classing offers MORE to the game.

The statement of killing creatures over and over,umm ya what do you think combat is suppose to be?

The opening quests/movies are the same?Are you serious lol,they are actually better than any game's opening quests on the planet,they are really nice 3d animated cut scene movies.They piut a ton more effort into creating those than simply dropping you down in the middle of nowhere and have EVERY player run to the EXACT same yellow marker hoping to get some meaningless quest to gain xp,then run to the next yellow marker,rinse and repeat.

At least in this type of game you get CHOICE,you can go to several different places to kill mobs,or if doing the boring daily routine like every other game,at least you have choice in what Fates or what Leves to do,you are not FORCED to follow in a linear fashion to the NEXT yellow marker.although this game has some of that as well.

I have no idea what game the OP is looking for or has played,but won't be finding it judging by  reading  those inaccurate game analogies,because every other game is the same or WORSE,aside from FFXI which was the first to multi class and do things differently.

You see i have played 99% of all mainstream games and they are ALL identical,follow the yellow question marks around,no need to think,just watch your level numbers until you hit end game ,then you can toss around terms like L33t and Raiding and hardcore.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

From what I've read from multiple sources, it's a well made, standard theme park MMORPG, around a popular IP.

People like those, look how many have sold previously since WOW firmly established the model, not surprising this title is doing well. 

Also they had very fortunate timing, there's nothing new of substance anywhere near their launch, so they benefit greatly by being the only thing new in town.

TESO, Wildstar and some others will all go through this same cycle when they launch, with varying degrees of success.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Wizardry

Umm without dissecting every last part,i will point to the credibility of the statement here.

Boss=Ifrit just using ONE example,he is like all the other mobs you face only a bigger version?It is not even the same type of combat anymore and definitely much more difficult.

I will agree the combat is not as good as it should be,but that is comparing it to FFXI which has the best.If i compare it to other games,then it is basically the same thing but with mutli classing offers MORE to the game.

The statement of killing creatures over and over,umm ya what do you think combat is suppose to be?

The opening quests/movies are the same?Are you serious lol,they are actually better than any game's opening quests on the planet,they are really nice 3d animated cut scene movies.They piut a ton more effort into creating those than simply dropping you down in the middle of nowhere and have EVERY player run to the EXACT same yellow marker hoping to get some meaningless quest to gain xp,then run to the next yellow marker,rinse and repeat.

At least in this type of game you get CHOICE,you can go to several different places to kill mobs,or if doing the boring daily routine like every other game,at least you have choice in what Fates or what Leves to do,you are not FORCED to follow in a linear fashion to the NEXT yellow marker.although this game has some of that as well.

I have no idea what game the OP is looking for or has played,but won't be finding it judging by  reading  those inaccurate game analogies,because every other game is the same or WORSE,aside from FFXI which was the first to multi class and do things differently.

You see i have played 99% of all mainstream games and they are ALL identical,follow the yellow question marks around,no need to think,just watch your level numbers until you hit end game ,then you can toss around terms like L33t and Raiding and hardcore.

If you think that the opening for this game is the best on the planet, that must be the only game you ever played. Swtor openings are 1000 times better, and different for each class. Unlike this game where you start on a wagon/boat, the same merchant dude with different cloths and 2 kids are there. Some enemy shoots at the merchant and he gets scared. Then you get put into the same thing, go to the adventure guild, and do the same thing. The stories are  not different. The only differences is they change some wording around. Star trek online does the opening a 1000 times better to, each empire is different. Everquest 2 does it better, vanguard does it better, even eve online does it better. 

And i didnt say there was anything wrong with being forced to follow yellow markers. It just that the story has to be fun and engrossing. Not I am lazy so go get my cargo boxes, or I am to scared so go kill this. It isnt that dont like final fantasy story lines, I played not all of them, but the few i did i found the story keeping me entertained long enough to finish the game. 

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

A lot of rubbish games make it to the number 1 slot on this website - and stay there for months and months on end. Yes, I'm looking at you Perpetuum and Darkfall Unholy Wars.

This is because hype generates a small hardcore group of players for certain types of games. This hardcore group will give the game 10/10 in every category. It takes many pissed off reviewers to correct the misleading bias.

Sandbox games tend to be the most over-rated because they are less common than theme-park games - so people hype them up because they are full of hope and want the game to succeed.

That makes sense, first reasonable post to my question. Thank you very much for answering my question.

This discussion has been closed.