Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think about Oculus Rift ?

Comments

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Buying it the moment the final product goes on sale.
  • EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Current proto-models aren't just there yet. The pixel-grid is too visible from my experience. Still, once they get around that there might be something for it...
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I think once this gets all of the kinks worked out and cloud gaming gets all their kinks worked out and google glass gets all their stuff figured out...

Then we will have some crazy next gen gaming.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

It is unfortunate that so many people haven't been able to try it to truly understand what it brings to the table, I own a developer kit, best money I ever spent. A Few facts on the device.

1 - You can wear glasses with it, easily.

2 - The consumer model will sit in the 1440p area, aka no screen door or poor resolutions.

3 - Not having a front facing camera is not an issue, it takes a second or two to flip it upwards to see and talk to people around you.

4 - Nausea related to it disappears in around a week for 90% of people, some people have none, some people have plenty during specific games (first person ones, versus cockpit games.)

5 - The 3D effect is stereoscopic in nature, so they don't use the red/blue method to give you the 3d. One image is rended at an angle from the left eye, another rendered from the angle of the right eye, just like our normal vision has two images and our brains merge the result.

It isn't a gimic, the first time you sit inside a cockpit of a spaceship, or look over your shoulder in fear because something is following you in a horror game, then you will understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_9vQI5Rxlw < -- me playing outlast.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I think the potential is real, but just like with the 3d TV's it may not be fully realized.  I hope I'm wrong, because I'm excited by the immersive aspect that such an experience might offer.

We'll see.  If it launches and there are games using it that I want to play, I absolutely will buy it.  This is for certain.  The only thing is, will game devs support it and will there be enough games to make it desireable.

There could be other applications though, besides gaming that make it attractive.  As a 3d artist, I can imagine the possibilities and they are very exciting. 

• FallenArchangelFallenArchangel Member Posts: 3
    The Oculus Rift seems like a potential but I'm not incredibly hyped about it. I will consider buying it after the games on the Oculus Rift increase in quality, preferably in high definition.
  • perfecrgameperfecrgame Member Posts: 1
    Like, I thinks it has potential like 50% great.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Having tried one out, I won't be making a purchase.

Without going into unnecessary detail (for a gaming forum), if the image in an IMAX theatre looks blurry to you, if can't see those 'magic eye' puzzles, or if you tend to see right through optical illusions, then I strongly advise you to try before you buy.

• NeotixNeotix Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Oculus Rift is a step forward in gaming experience but it's only one of few first steps. It will took a lot of time before it will be serious piece of hardware for everyone, not only enthusiasts. I hope that it won't take too much time and I will still will enjoy games :D
  • GilbortrundGilbortrund Member Posts: 23
    VR has been around since I can remember. Like Reel 3d/3d TV, this is another attempt at restarting the interest in this technology.  Only time will tell if it will fail. But like 3d it's a novelty that never quite makes it all the way up the hill before it starts to slip back down into oblivion.
  • EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Darwa

Having tried one out, I won't be making a purchase.

Without going into unnecessary detail (for a gaming forum), if the image in an IMAX theatre looks blurry to you, if can't see those 'magic eye' puzzles, or if you tend to see right through optical illusions, then I strongly advise you to try before you buy.

Stereoscopic 3D isn't a trick, it isn't a fancy way of delivering 3D..

The left image is rendered from the perspective of the left eye, the right image from the perspective of the right. This gives us depth. It is EXACTLY (read that again) the same way our eyes see the world around us, the brain merges the two, and uses the information gathered to judge depth.

Ever wondered how simulated surround sound works? The brain is smart enough to tell the nanoseconds it takes sound to reach the second ear after hitting the first, and can give it a direction too!

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

Originally posted by ulula

I remember when I got scammed by nintendo with is fucking virtual boy.

Originally posted by Deddpool

And sadly i also think it will flop like a fish regardless.

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

It suffers from the same flaws all that have come before it have.

Originally posted by Soki123
    IMO, a waste of time and money. People will be all gushing over it at first, then it will sit the corner of their room like excersise  equiptment.

I'm suprised how you all sound here like the guy from 1903 saying "The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a fad", or even better... like Ken Olsen from 1977 "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home". I guess that approach (coming even way back than quotes, somewere from medieval times) is the reason why progress is slower than it could be.

You think this was different.... no, there were also many older attempts that failed, and many people like those quoted, who said it is pointless, but then finally came the one that actually made it, and you are writing from your personal computer at home.

You see the analogy? I'm not trying to say that this thing will be the biggest revolution in gaming up to date, but to discredit it so fast is just one of the worst attitudes history knows.

Some of you are using arguments that were actually addressed by creators of that technology and solved at first stages, I think the lack of interest also results in the lack of any basic knowledge about that thing, so you should just hold yourselves from replying with false information.

Watch some people playing the developer version and see their reactions. They have reactions identical to ones in real life (moving your hand away from virtual objects, moving away from approaching object etc.) it only proves that this thing messes with your head way more than previous "gadgets".

I Think you should never be so cynical when something new comes out, no matter how familiar it seems, basic rule. I'm not hyped, but I think that this could be one of those first stepping stones into something really amazing, and it only depends on us players, if this will have enough funds to get evolved into next generation standard.

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    I'll let you know when it arrives. I just snagged one off Ebay this weekend :)
  • RecklooseReckloose Member UncommonPosts: 39

It's a gimmick. It might have some level of success, but it's not going to revolutionize anything, since it includes nothing revolutionary. All the problems with VR headsets remain, with no solutions at all. For those that say it has solved problems, has it solved the haptics/ergonomics/controller issues? Because those are the problems that continue to kill VR headsets, and I don't see any solutions from this device.

Let me explain the basic issues. First, is controllers: You can't see the controller. This isn't really a "problem", but it does effectively eliminate a wide swath of games from working with the VR headset. Essentially, pick any game that requires keyboard gymnastics (which is, most MMO's), or any game where your hands would move from a specific set of keys (even some shooters, where you might move your hand to hit the "I" key for inventory). Games with console controllers would probably be fine though.

Then there is the simple ergonomics. If the game doesn't do headtracking, it won't go. It's a wierd human issue, but if you have no reason to keep your head up, it won't stay up. So, let's say your playing... Batman, but there is no headtracking (cause it's a third person perspective game). As you play, your head will tilt downwards, until you notice it getting all crimped, then you'll adjust, it'll happen again, etc etc. I know your probably thinking "I'll just play in bed, where my head can lay down" right? But you'll have to keep your hands up to hold the controller, which isn't super comfortable either.

Then there's a host of things that players do, that won't work well or at all with headtracking even if it is implemented. And it's just simple stuff, but when someone plays an FPS, sometimes they'll do quick spins, wierd little mouse tricks, etc etc, and with headtracking, you can't do those things. So, there's some issues there.

I'm not saying it's going to flop, just that it'll be a gimmicky device.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

I think people have forgotten we made these 15+ years ago, and they ended up blinding people, causing brain tumors, and other serious medical issues. 

MANY studies have proven the consequences of strapping electronics to your head and face for extended periods of time.

1000 % promise this will be nothing more than a fad, and in the long run people that over use it will end up with some serious medical issues.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    We got to mess around with one for War Thunder and Skyrim, and all I can say is...when the final product comes out I'll be getting one ASAP.    It was an amazing experience.  
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Honestly if you people want the next HUGE thing it will be brain chip implants. 

DARPA ( the military ) is already testing brain implants on soldiers.

A research team in California has implanted a chip in monkey that allows then to remotely upload memorys to the monkey.

One group is working on a google chip implant that is basically a search engine they put in our brains so we can organize and retrieve memories like you can get data on google.

There are already NSL chips being sold that when implanted instantly allow you to speak and understand whatever language you have implanted.

The MATRIX is here, will you choose the red pill or the blue pill.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Enerzeal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_9vQI5Rxlw < -- me playing outlast.
    Thanks for that video. That was one thing that bugged me about the Kickstarter video - No actual footage, just a bunch of industry folks talking it up.

OP, your second YouTube link is missing a "w" (ww.youtube.com) in the address. Here is the corrected address :)

I think the technology is possible. It will take some fine tuning once mass produced, but eventually, it may be a viable "every gamer" accessory.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GoldFire33GoldFire33 Member Posts: 9
    I've been convinced that it was the future of gaming and would change everything since they ran the Kickstarter campaign. However, I finally got to try one out myself the other day and I'm completely sold. Everything you hear is true, it really does change everything. The second you put that headset on you instantly feel like you've been transported to a new world. Even with the low resolution screen and limited demos available, it is already mind-blowing. I can't wait to see what some fresh competition and another few years of development bring.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I get the feeling it will not scale with gamers as they age.  Inherently that could be its major downfall.  Gamers fall into a much wider demographic now and I don't see a lot of 35+ with wives, kids, "adult" jobs--not sure how to say it but people with adult jobs will know what I am talking about--wanting to drop a large sum of money to clutter their house and run in place.

I also am not sure how well this will hold up to long play sessions.  That will be the key to younger players. 

I just have a hard time seeing this having a large market.  I am not sure older family based gamers will want it.  I am not sure it will hold up to long play sessions.  I am not sure younger gamers can afford it.

Additionally, this may be coming to market ~5 years to early.  Price point, size, durability, aesthetics will all play a large role. 

I don't think it will take off.  Not because it can't.  Just because I am not sure there is a large enough market. 

Note:  I think the tech will hold up and I think developers can create excellent games for this.  Market size though may be the killer.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

A) I think it has a cool name that makes me want to be in it.

B) I think it has nearly limitless potential developmentally, but perhaps limited viability in the marketplace.

C) I think it could finally settle the stealth debate.

• GoldFire33GoldFire33 Member Posts: 9
    For all of you that are doubting the Rift, how many of you have actually tried one. Once you actually put that headset on and experience it for the first time, I think you might change your tone. It is one of those things that is hard to really grasp until you try it out for yourself.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by GoldFire33
    For all of you that are doubting the Rift, how many of you have actually tried one. Once you actually put that headset on and experience it for the first time, I think you might change your tone. It is one of those things that is hard to really grasp until you try it out for yourself.
    I have never driven a Lamborghini, yet have a feeling that I will not ever own one. If I am spending around $500 for a monitor (that will be unused in my games) and another $500 (or less) for an output device that will only have a use for the games I play, it makes it rather tough to justify the expense in my mind. Remember, many players are "hobby" gamers :)

Another problem for me is that I "look at" my keyboard for my keystrokes. Will the Rift allow for this?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245

My oculus Rift showed up today. This thing is NOT a gimmick. The low resolution is annoying, but when you actually get into the game and ignore that, everything else is amazing!

Skyrim, GTA 4 and a few Unity demos are all I've had the chance to test yet. The roller coaster one really brings it home. When you go over the top of the initial drop your stomach really drops just like the real thing. The feeling is very real and a LOT of fun! :)I cant wait to test out some driving simulators in my driving rig(cockpit with g27).

Give me this thing with true HD(or better) resolution and a MMO built around it and I'm in heaven.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Yawn....so, 3D glasses are the next big thing.......AGAIN.

I remember 15 years ago or something when i first bought into the hype with my Voodoo Banshee+Shutter glasses. Playing Quake 2 in 3D was cool back then and people were told by the magazines that the end of CRT monitors has come. Then TFTs started to take over the market.

This whole VR thing is nothing more than another hype and besides that, it's borderline vaporware. It seems to take them just forever to get a customer version done. It's a gimmick that will claim it's niche and then the bubble will burst and there's nothing even a John Carmack can do about that -nothing more.