Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Non-MMO have you played recently and what do you think about it?

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

just got through weeks of playing the hellouta Deus Ex: Human Revolution. no clue why but the story and setting just entirely sucked me in. i spose deep inside i hope the Singularity hits before i die. but since i honestly think that's just techno mythology, im stuck with pretending in games like this :)

other than that Skyrim and Oblivion (modded to hell and back of course) are always a good fall back. its amazing how much play you can get out of a sandbox experience. (hint, hint devs!)

the one that surprised me was Dishonored. don't hate me, but i didn't care for it at all. just wish i could give it away to someone, but Steam and the games industry have got us figured out: sell it online with no chance to resell.

i had fun with Saints Row III, but oddly enough, since its already over the top and there's not much modding, it really doesn't have much replay value for me.

the big one i keep coming back to is Far Cry 3, but not the storyline. i just reset the camps all the time and play guerilla warfare with the AI. i love it.

i am really hoping The Division turns out to be a great co-op game, because i am also beginning to question my mmo loyalties. i have played more srpg's in the past 2 years than mmo's by a long stretch. and it used to be that mmo's were just about all i played or could even stand to play.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Jigsaw puzzles on my GF's iPad.

Turn the difficulty slider up and it makes puzzles that take 20+ hours to complete.  Decent fun too.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

Jigsaw puzzles on my GF's iPad.

Turn the difficulty slider up and it makes puzzles that take 20+ hours to complete.  Decent fun too.

that actually sounds pretty cool. probly good brain exercise too.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Saints Row 4, I really didn't think it was possible to top Saints Row the 3rd but damn it was amazing. Fun/funny from start to finish and ranks in my top 5 games of all time list...the game is just plain FUN!

Rome 2 Total War: played for about 4 hours and uninstalled it, even with patch 4 it was buggy as hell and the AI was horrible. Such a shame to, the first couple Total War games were great, just started to go downhill the last few years.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by jtcgs

Saints Row 4, I really didn't think it was possible to top Saints Row the 3rd but damn it was amazing. Fun/funny from start to finish and ranks in my top 5 games of all time list...the game is just plain FUN!

Rome 2 Total War: played for about 4 hours and uninstalled it, even with patch 4 it was buggy as hell and the AI was horrible. Such a shame to, the first couple Total War games were great, just started to go downhill the last few years.

ya my brother's been waiting for Rome 2 TW for quite a while and was pretty disappointed with it.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    • Battlefield 4 - loving the multiplayer, haven't played the sp yet
    • CubeWorld - out of curiousity; enjoy for about thirty minutes at a time, fun exploration
    • GTAV - SP driving around cities and stealing cars is still fun
    • The Witcher II - This is my game for when the Internet goes out and I'm on my PC, slow progress, but great depth
    • MineCraft - for when I want to create instead of just experience

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Im playing all the mass effects, just stared on ME2 and im loving it. I really only play on my laptop during breaks between classes at ASU....Go Sun Devilsimage(on my alienware)

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Recently Finished Batman Arkham Origins...Its an amazing game as they all were in the series.  The story is very good if your a batman fan and the voice acting was superb in my opinion. The graphics are amazing on PC with TXAA, HBAO and PhysX

Also played BF4 and CoD Ghost.  BF4 is overall better than CoD especially in multi-player but CoD had a more interesting single player campaign.  I really liked the space gameplay.  You dont really use the dog as much you would think after all those trailers before its launch promoting the crap out of it.

Right now waiting on Assassins Creed 4 to finish downloading, this is the one I been waiting for the most.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by aspekx

just got through weeks of playing the hellouta Deus Ex: Human Revolution. no clue why but the story and setting just entirely sucked me in. i spose deep inside i hope the Singularity hits before i die. but since i honestly think that's just techno mythology, im stuck with pretending in games like this :)

I recently played Deus Ex Directors Cut too, its a great rpg fps.  They announced the sequel and have given a concept art for it so far.  It will have a new protagonist and they said they are looking for a new actor for him who will also do the motion capture,  and needs to be Japanese.

Also since your into Deus Ex you should watch this new TV series called Almost Human.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

Civ 5 Brave New World. I love it. Yes, I know people will say it sucks compared to earlier Civs, but I still have fun with it. 

Still have a ton of other games to play through that I picked up through Steam sales. 

Ugh...I always say "Ill play a quick civ match" and end up playing for 8 or so hours -_-

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• LigiLigi Member UncommonPosts: 119

Hearthstone and Diablo 3 on stand by untill Reaper of Souls comes.

Diablo 3 has great combat  mechanics but the game content feels like its on closed beta stage, I hope the expansion will fix this.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I've been playing the heck out of Borderlands 2 since about January. I'm all about co-op gaming which is what I really liked about MMOs in the beginning. What I like about BL2 is I can set my game to open to the public and people group with me within about 5 minutes- grouping in MMOs (aside from the soft grouping in games like GW2) has never been this easy and fast and at least in this game (as opposed to today's solo-tastic MMOs) grouping is speedy and rewarded.

Originally posted by aspekx

I have been debating on getting Deus Ex: Human Revolutions but Ive always just bought something else for some reason. 

i am really hoping The Division turns out to be a great co-op game, because i am also beginning to question my mmo loyalties. i have played more srpg's in the past 2 years than mmo's by a long stretch. and it used to be that mmo's were just about all i played or could even stand to play.

Isn't this the olden style TPS Xcom game?  It interests me quite a bit cuz Xcom but I always felt meh about it. Completely wrong game.  I have not played MMOs very much at all.  I go into GW2 every now and then and my sub for ff14 ran out.  I played FF14 for the first month quite a lot because I like dungeons but I subbed then found out I did not play it once through october.  And I dont really miss it tbh. 

Originally posted by jtcgs

I hated Saints Row 3 since my favorite thing about Saints Row 2 was my minions actually being useful.  Judging from the superpowers and things, I feel like they will just seem like a drag down. 

I saw the reviews and lets plays of that game and I went "NOPE!"

Originally posted by strawhat0981
    Im playing all the mass effects, just stared on ME2 and im loving it. I really only play on my laptop during breaks between classes at ASU....Go Sun Devilsimage(on my alienware)

I wanna play all the Mass Effects but they don't have the bundle for WiiU so I guess Ill live by only playing the 2nd one.

Originally posted by pierth

I've been playing the heck out of Borderlands 2 since about January. I'm all about co-op gaming which is what I really liked about MMOs in the beginning. What I like about BL2 is I can set my game to open to the public and people group with me within about 5 minutes- grouping in MMOs (aside from the soft grouping in games like GW2) has never been this easy and fast and at least in this game (as opposed to today's solo-tastic MMOs) grouping is speedy and rewarded.

I have this game but I have not played it after finishing it once.  Not sure why since I played 1 a helluva lot. 

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Starcraft2 as always, quake live, Path of exile, planetside 2.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Skyrim. Using some mods to make it more fun, less hassle then FTP or being subbed to these stupid rails games.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I'm enjoying Duel of Champions the Might and Magic CCG. So far it is pretty fun, haven't played one of these since the original MTG came out.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Lets see. I just beat xenosaga one. about to delve into xenosaga 2. also currently playing final fantasy 4 the after years, ff4 ds remake and wild arms 3. also playing cubeworld.
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Battlefield 4.

The game is OK, not as good as 2142 but it's OK. They increased the pace, it's a bit more chaotic etc.

Main problem is stability. You guys think only MMOS have bad launches. Go check BF4 forum and grab some popcorn ;-)

• I bought battlefield 4 as well as premium on launch. I was so excited for the game but I did not read any reviews. Not only did I miss out on the review of what came to be a terribly written and drawn out campaign, the servers would crash every 10-15 minutes. The former was most disappointing because of all the raving trailer critics claiming that BF4 would outdo BF3's lame campaign. After 2 game sessions lasting an hour each with the campaign, I already felt the coming on of an aneurysm.  I muscled my way into a mission within a jail and haven't played since being horrified by the script. I abandoned the single player to focus on multiplayer. Not only did servers constantly fail, there were wall hackers and aim botters in every major server I played on. Now I only recently purchased a gaming rig to move out of the console platforms in the hopes for better competitive gameplay. Hacking was an  entirely new concept introduced to me through Counter Strike Global Offensive. Counter Strike forced you to spectate after you died. In BF4, I took the time to spectate players that would be dominating the match with obscene K/D ratios. What I saw verified my worst expectations. These players were not "well performing gamers". Snipers walking around rooftops and hip-firing 1-shot kill rounds magazine after magazine. Players running around with any of BF4's arsenal, sprinting the entire map without checking a single corner only to gun down players on the only unknown they cleared.

Everywhere I went, I found 2-4 players in a 32 player server wreaking havoc. 2-8 players in 64 man servers that wrought tears from dozens of players. Single player 3/10 for the initially fantastic campaign. Multiplayer 0/10 for the game breaking server crashes, subtle and non-subtle wall hackers, aim botters, and full on rage-mode hackers. It's turned me away from AAA competetive FPS towards single player, co-op, racing, and MMO gaming. Too bad I can't enjoy Gran Turismo or Forza on the PC 

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Damage99
    Played through Baldurs Gate:EE and really enjoyed it.  Now playing BG2:EE and love the challenge.

I'm also making my way through Baldur's Gate EE and I love it. It's nice to die in a game again. After I finish it I will then go to BG2.

Still playing Skyrim and Morrowind, Since those games don't really have "an ending" I move in and out of them. My usual "mo" is to play a game start to finish if it's a new game. If it's somethnig I've played before then I can sort of dip in and out.

At the moment however, since it's been so long since I played BG, it feels like a "new" game.

Damnit I need to play those. The Infinity Engine games are among my favorites and I haven't played either EE. I need to do so in preparation for Project Eternity and Torment (far off as they may be.)

Currently replaying an old favorite: Skies of Arcadia. I love the setting and atmosphere so much that I can't help but think about how awesome a fully open-world sequel would be... or a mmo.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I've been playing through the AC series over the last couple months (loved the Ezio trilogy) currently about 1/2 way through AC3, the story gets kinda corny in 3 (riding around with Paul Revere on the back of my horse lol)  but game play is fun (love the animations and the growing world)  Looking forward to playing AC4

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    Played through Baldurs Gate:EE and really enjoyed it.  Now playing BG2:EE and love the challenge.

I'm also making my way through Baldur's Gate EE and I love it. It's nice to die in a game again. After I finish it I will then go to BG2.

Still playing Skyrim and Morrowind, Since those games don't really have "an ending" I move in and out of them. My usual "mo" is to play a game start to finish if it's a new game. If it's somethnig I've played before then I can sort of dip in and out.

At the moment however, since it's been so long since I played BG, it feels like a "new" game.

Damnit I need to play those. The Infinity Engine games are among my favorites and I haven't played either EE. I need to do so in preparation for Project Eternity and Torment (far off as they may be.) Currently replaying an old favorite: Skies of Arcadia. I love the setting and atmosphere so much that I can't help but think about how awesome a fully open-world sequel would be... or a mmo.

last night, after my "pub night" I decided I had some time before I went  to bed. I "could" play Baldur's Gate or Play a bit of the Helm's Deep expansion for LOTRO.

I opted for Helm's Deep because I realized I would be sucked into Baldur's gate and it would be WAYYYYYY too late by the time I retired.

Though in fairness to LOTRO, I did start to get into the main story a bit. Still, Baldur's gate takes more time and I usually have to put aside enough time to get through what I feel is a satisfying play session. Especially if I die and feel that I can "do it better this time".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

Originally posted by PerfArt

Damnit I need to play those. The Infinity Engine games are among my favorites and I haven't played either EE. I need to do so in preparation for Project Eternity and Torment (far off as they may be.) Currently replaying an old favorite: Skies of Arcadia. I love the setting and atmosphere so much that I can't help but think about how awesome a fully open-world sequel would be... or a mmo.

last night, after my "pub night" I decided I had some time before I went  to bed. I "could" play Baldur's Gate or Play a bit of the Helm's Deep expansion for LOTRO.

I opted for Helm's Deep because I realized I would be sucked into Baldur's gate and it would be WAYYYYYY too late by the time I retired.

Though in fairness to LOTRO, I did start to get into the main story a bit. Still, Baldur's gate takes more time and I usually have to put aside enough time to get through what I feel is a satisfying play session. Especially if I die and feel that I can "do it better this time".

Hehe yeah the BG and Icewind Dale games always did that to me as well. Never felt cheated if i died, but i always knew i could have done better.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    I'm into simulation fantasy role playing.  Really enjoying Skyrim.  I bought Oblivion years ago because of hype and disliked it.  Not hated - just dislike.  It was missing that catching element that draws me in - sexy males.  Skyrim has seen the light tho.  With expansions.  There's some pretty hot men in that game.  Otherwise I play sims 2 where I can customize and mod so every char looks like passion and fucks as much.  Sex mods ftw.  Content and gameplay aspects are there for Skyrim as well.  Quests are not boring and glitches are funny more than annoying.

Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    I'm into simulation fantasy role playing.  Really enjoying Skyrim.  I bought Oblivion years ago because of hype and disliked it.  Not hated - just dislike.  It was missing that catching element that draws me in - sexy males.  Skyrim has seen the light tho.  With expansions.  There's some pretty hot men in that game.  Otherwise I play sims 2 where I can customize and mod so every char looks like passion and fucks as much.  Sex mods ftw.  Content and gameplay aspects are there for Skyrim as well.  Quests are not boring and glitches are funny more than annoying.

If you like Simulation Fantasy Roleplaying, I highly suggest the Rune Factory series.  They are awesome.

( o.o)
    (")(")