Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today is the day

New patch and expansion pack..

looking forward to the new combat annimations. Just hoping that my warden is still fun to play now the stance dancing is no longer possible.

i hope people will manage to get into their old characters with the new spec trees, big changes for all the classes. I do hope people will give the changes a chance, because the majorrity of people cant handle big changes.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Yep, I already have a bowl of popcorn readied, it'll be a fun night indeed... I'm sure Sap watched Thor2 a few times in the last week just to steal some nice, hammer-swinging moves from the professional :)
  • vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

I guess it would be too late to start playing this game again from start right?

If not, what server should I choose to go to if I'm from EU?

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

i hope people will manage to get into their old characters with the new spec trees, big changes for all the classes. I do hope people will give the changes a chance, because the majorrity of people cant handle big changes.

Changes can be handled, big, medium or small ones. Not too easy sometimes, but still...

However, what they have done to Champions (and I have the misfortune to be one) is just outrageous. Red tree (dps) is told by everybody (save 2) players as lame. Yellow tree is AoE and is just mediocre by the players in Lotro champion forum. Blue tree ("tanking") is described as "so-so". Already not a good sign to have low dps (according to players who played HD beta).

Further changes: all survival skills, except Bracing attacks, put into red tree, some tier 5. So, when you start your Champion in any other tree - you find yourself to be kamikaze. Potions have a good cooldown and no Green Bubbles for other trees. Which could mean Champion would be the most vulnerable in any combat.

It's hard to accept such changes. I wish developers have played Champion at least for 1 day. I wish they knew how champions depend upon Green Bubbles. I wish they listened to players.

But wait, they are going to compensate it by allowing Champions...to use crossbows. I'm not sure it fits into the Lore, also, it adds nothing. Champion is not a ranged class, we have Hunters for that.

The far, the worse: spending points on second/third tree is punished by doubling point expense. So, if I want to use any better survival skill while being in non-red line, I could not do so, not enough points.

All I wonder if these are changes or just a big downgrade. And I can't accept downgrade.

Originally posted by vort3x

Depends on that "again". If you've played a long time ago and don't have any good / pleasant memories of the gameplay, then it's maybe the most fitting time, since they gonna fck up... errr, sorry, I mean completely change how the classes operate and functioning. So not only you, but everyone else have to re-learn the game.

On the other hand, if you loved the game just left because of f2p/other games/time/etc. then the return would bring a few WTF moments after HD...

Former Eu servers (english ones) with the highest pop are maybe Withy and Laurelin (the rp server).

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Depends on that "again". If you've played a long time ago and don't have any good / pleasant memories of the gameplay, then it's maybe the most fitting time, since they gonna fck up... errr, sorry, I mean completely change how the classes operate and functioning. So not only you, but everyone else have to re-learn the game.

On the other hand, if you loved the game just left because of f2p/other games/time/etc. then the return would bring a few WTF moments after HD...

Former Eu servers (english ones) with the highest pop are maybe Withy and Laurelin (the rp server).

So far this is the only game where game mechanics are seccondary for me, i mostly play it for the lore and stories. 

And despite the fact thati will loose my favourite partofthe warden ( stnce switching during combat).  I can live with it.  Just looking forward to Helms deep and 3 new books.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Lackhand Baggins a  famous burglar and distant cousin to the famous Bilbo Baggins is ready to enter Middle Earth again on the best server in the game and the only official RP server in the game.

Laurelin here i come.image

Laurelin server, no other server comes close for community and it's the only official RP server in the game. If you were American i would say Landroval, it's the non supported RP server, it's not supported for RP like Laurelin is but it has some great community and RP as well.

So far this is the only game where game mechanics are seccondary for me, i mostly play it for the lore and stories. 

Likewise, as I stated in many places. I play every game for the lore :) and I will stay after HD as well, for exploration, rp events, festivals, and to see the new books.

It doesn't change the fact, that every time I'll level a new alt (eerr... massive altoholic here...), I'll have to fight and struggle with the new, dumbed down system. And not even the culled skills will be the worst, but the trait trees.

Actually, my first new one after HD goes live (since I always try out new mechanics from the scratch) will be named Helm Traitmourner. I don't feel the strenght to check minis right away (maybe a few months later, it's a disgrace what they'll do to them), so he'll be an Rk. A grumpy old dwarf, with the line of "Everything was better in my days..." said all the time :)

And maybe an elf woodworker, Traitree Chopper :)

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736

Yesssssssss! 

Looking forward to this. I and a loads of buddies just started with this game again. We are on the Laurelin server, and made a nifty kinship recently! I hope to meet and have fun with the rest of you LOTRO players as soon as possible. Although, it will probably be awhile before I can assist you in defending Helm's Deep I'll be crafting a lot and maybe killing some orcs in the name of Frodo and pie.

Originally posted by winghaven1

Yesssssssss! 

Looking forward to this. I and a loads of buddies just started with this game again. We are on the Laurelin server, and made a nifty kinship recently! I hope to meet and have fun with the rest of you LOTRO players as soon as possible. Although, it will probably be awhile before I can assist you in defending Helm's Deep I'll be crafting a lot and maybe killing some orcs in the name of Frodo and pie.

Lol, you will be killing a lot of Orcs but most of all you will be killing a lot of Boars in early levels lol.

Not long now, this second one is getting nice and dark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfflhfn1W-o

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Nah, that is exactly what I plan to do.  It has been awhile since I played and I when I tried to go back I looked at my many many many rows of icons and logged out :)  Yes, I could have gone through each one to recall what they did and practiced some but I thought - with the changes - I might as well start over (never that high anyway).

I think it is the perfect time to start over since it is a new system anyway.  Plus. . why would it be too late?

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by winghaven1

Although, it will probably be awhile before I can assist you in defending Helm's Deep I'll be crafting a lot and maybe killing some orcs in the name of Frodo and pie.

You can join as early as lvl10.

That's a new one, killing orcs in the name of a pie :) Holly Hornblower would be proud of you I'm sure.

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Im thinking of starting a new character too. The expansion's supposed to be released today, but its not released yet as of this hour, right?
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

This is one of the few games where I'd say its never too late to start, looking forward to having my burg and hunter roam west rohan with our awesome kinship on Crickhollow server.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

Originally posted by Krelian
    Im thinking of starting a new character too. The expansion's supposed to be released today, but its not released yet as of this hour, right?

Nope, the maintenance hasn't started yet.

On Wednesday November 20th, all LOTRO Game worlds will be brought down at 6:00 AM Eastern time (-5 GMT) to prepare for the release of Helm’s Deep.

And lotroreporter is planning a live stream at 8:00pm PST, so hopefully by then the game will up and running.

• dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339

New patch and expansion pack..

looking forward to the new combat annimations. Just hoping that my warden is still fun to play now the stance dancing is no longer possible.

Interesting, I just might have to dust off my character and see all the new changes.

Originally posted by Krelian

The hour of no return is now, servers are down for the upgrade

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Lackhand Baggins a  famous burglar and distant cousin to the famous Bilbo Baggins is ready to enter Middle Earth again on the best server in the game and the only official RP server in the game.

Laurelin here i come.image

Best server and community i have found since my old EQ days.   Laurelin EU.

currently maining my Warden, Bachus the Brave.  

Last friday, for a huge crowd in the green dragon, Rosamunde song a balad about Bachus the brave with his pointy stick who rode on his pony to carn Dum to defeat the false king. There is so much community things going on, its just silly compared to other games and servers.

Its well worth the effort...

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

Thx for the answer.

PS! Haha, dammit, it was such a long time ago that I played LOTRO, but looking at this thread, I can already tell that this game has a pretty decent community to hang out with! :D

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Laurelin is probably the best server in the game.

Strangely, Landroval is certainly the worst.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

I was thinking about making a toon on Landroval.. Why is it the worst?

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Last friday, for a huge crowd in the green dragon, Rosamunde song a balad about Bachus the brave with his pointy stick who rode on his pony to carn Dum to defeat the false king. There is so much community things going on, its just silly compared to other games and servers.

And Laurelin has the Strollers as well :)

http://youtu.be/ulW2wZVin_M

• UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

I was thinking about making a toon on Landroval.. Why is it the worst?

Do not listen to him, he is the one who insist the LOTRO community is selfless and that he found no kin willing to accept him. Honestly, I have never found a community so helpful than the LOTRO one, Landroval included. So I suspect the issue is on his end.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by UW1975

I have never found a community so helpful than the LOTRO one, Landroval included. So I suspect the issue is on his end.

Just recently someone asked a question in general chat and I whispered an answer to him.

Well, after a few seconds he writes back something like "omg, all the whispers I can't read my chat!"

There are definitely a lot of helpful people.

At the moment I've figured out my two trait trees and I really like the guardian Keen Blade Tree for leveling.

We'll see how well I do once I actually tank.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo