Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "we will be bringing our major stuff over there [on PS4], including Everquest,"

2»

Comments

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    I've known this since the reveal. The cartoon character models and limited actions/spells are a likely a result of PS4 compatability.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Mawnee
    I've known this since the reveal. The cartoon character models and limited actions/spells are a likely a result of PS4 compatability.

Really than Ubisoft and Bungie are doing it all wrong with The Division and Destiny with its photo-realistic graphics and physics.  All console games must be doing it wrong, I have no idea how Mass Effect or Assassins Creed got so famous if cartoon graphics is what console market really wants?

Originally posted by Mawnee

Also Square Enix must be doing it wrong with Final Fantasy 14 ARR too since its not limited to 8 skill hotbar system.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by noncley
    Smed has been trying to pimp a fabled PC/console crossover  MMO for years. That was the core reasoning behind the dumbing down of SWG - a simpler game with simpler, console-ready commands. Of course, the fat man killed the game.

That is total BS. It was LA/Julio Torres/Dallas Dickinson who reckoned SWG needed to be changed from some feedback of people wanting to play Jedi easily and to make the game "Heroic"

SWTOR is that dumbed down game in full glory and SOE / Smedley has nothing to do with it

Originally posted by Kost
    I'll be staying far away if that's the case, not interested in cross platform garbage.

From what he seems to be saying is that Everquest will be coming to PS4 but not Everquest Next, and it will be a new MMO like EQOA was for PS2, so will not be cross platform - EQ/EQ2 and EQOA were not cross platform

"We’re not talking exactly about what it would be, but let’s just say it would closely resemble Everquest Next.”

I'll be staying far away if that's the case, not interested in cross platform garbage.

Final Fantasy 14 ARR is hardly garbage, its one of the most quality mmorpgs I have played in a long time.  Same with Final Fantasy 11 back in the day.  The only garbage is that elitist mentality

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Bidwood

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/11/12/sony-on-the-future-of-ps4-everquest-next-and-the-agency

“Although we haven’t specifically made any announcements, we will be bringing our major stuff over there [on PS4], including Everquest," Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley told IGN. "We’re not talking exactly about what it would be, but let’s just say it would closely resemble Everquest Next.” Its ForgeLight Engine, Smedley says, is running plenty fine on PS4, and has been for some time. SOE recently revealed EverQuest Next Landmark, a tool set separate from the MMO proper -- perhaps we'll see it, or something similar, make its way onto PS4.

All this tells me is that the PC version is first and the PS4 will be based off it or a conversion of it.

Its the MMOs that are made with the console version hand in hand that I cant stand, vastly limited in every way from the UI to the combat.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Final Fantasy 14 ARR is hardly garbage, its one of the most quality mmorpgs I have played in a long time.  Same with Final Fantasy 11 back in the day.  The only garbage is that elitist mentality

One of the buggest releases since...FF 14. Also, attempting to refute another's opinion as if your own overrides it is the very definition of elitism. You should have attempted to provide proof, like play population at least.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is funny because Smedley makes it sound like they are doing something special ,when they own the PS4 lol.If he came out and said they are making sure their major work will be available to every gamer including those on the Xbox that would be a different thing.

The PS4 is SOE's flagship console,i think we would expect them to use it lol,anyhow thanks for the amazing update Mr.Smedley we would have never guessed SOE would be using their own platform.I wonder if that is his major announcement  before 2013 ends or was it the cash shop pricing for landmark.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

i always wonder why people like this are on such a high horse, is it because they are so poor they can only afford one platform to play games on?

is it because they are such antisocial loners they cannot  possibly interact with actual human beings?

As someone who is not poor and has many friends, i find it great that consoles are getting better, to a point they are better than many of the computers that people use nowdays. More access to fun games is a good thing.

in any case, please stay away, cause ill most likely be playing eqn on my PC and my Ps4 ( which is awesome btw ) if it comes out for it.

/cheers

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

One of the buggest releases since...FF 14. Also, attempting to refute another's opinion as if your own overrides it is the very definition of elitism. You should have attempted to provide proof, like play population at least.

http://ffxivrealm.com/threads/fascinating-ffxiv-population-census.8611/

Originally posted by Wizardry

It is funny because Smedley makes it sound like they are doing something special ,when they own the PS4 lol.If he came out and said they are making sure their major work will be available to every gamer including those on the Xbox that would be a different thing.

The PS4 is SOE's flagship console,i think we would expect them to use it lol,anyhow thanks for the amazing update Mr.Smedley we would have never guessed SOE would be using their own platform.I wonder if that is his major announcement  before 2013 ends or was it the cash shop pricing for landmark.

SOE has nothing to do with the Playstation console, that is SCEE or SCEA etc, although with SOE being a division of Sony makes it easier for Sony to get SOE to develop for the console than other companies like Microsoft / Nintendo incurring extra fees.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         The one thing I hope SOE is going to implement in their next generation of PS4 console games are co-op options like Diablo 3 is running..  I and my family LOVE playing Diablo 3 together.. The only inconvenience we have is taking turns with NPC's.. but that is very minor compared to the advantages of playing together at the same time without split screens..  To date, D3 is the only game fits my desire as to manage offline/online co-oping..  In my opinion it would be foolish for SOE to overlook this..
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Rydeson
         The one thing I hope SOE is going to implement in their next generation of PS4 console games are co-op options like Diablo 3 is running..  I and my family LOVE playing Diablo 3 together.. The only inconvenience we have is taking turns with NPC's.. but that is very minor compared to the advantages of playing together at the same time without split screens..  To date, D3 is the only game fits my desire as to manage offline/online co-oping..  In my opinion it would be foolish for SOE to overlook this..

PS3 has co-op, I see no reason why PS4 won't

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cooperative_games_for_the_PlayStation_3

• HaitesHaites Member Posts: 69
    The only way an MMO will truly work on a console is if the game includes a keyboard and a mouse in the packaging.
  • toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Haites
    The only way an MMO will truly work on a console is if the game includes a keyboard and a mouse in the packaging.

FFXI worked just fine on consoles. Forget about your standard hotbar UI, theres more ways to skin a cat.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200

I have never played an MMO on a console,...um,...maaybe the old DreamCast Fantasy Star game if that counts.( inwhich case we did waste money on a Dreamcast keyboard!)

I just don't like it.  Don't like the feel.  I need a keyboard to chat and do UI stuff.   Have Google open for reference or whatever.

That said,..I love DCUO ( on PC),...to be fair,..I did buy an xbox controller USB just to 'check it out' but it never took.    Give me a PS controller and Tekken and I will pwn though :p

I don't care if this game is also console,..see DCUO above.  As long as it's fun.   More the merrier

,..are the servers going to be the same as non-console? 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Tabloid42

,..are the servers going to be the same as non-console? 

unlike FFXI and FFXIV

SOE and Blizzard keep their console servers seperate from the PC servers

• MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Haites

EOOA and FF11 never used a KB or  Mouse, so you're wrong. It's kinda of cool. you push in the Left analog = shift mod and R analog is CTRL mod. kinda simple and imo waaay better.. makes your mmos feel and response like 3rd person shooters.