Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those of you that are tired of your traditional mmo (WoW, RIFT, Age of Conan, Tera, etc)

Fellow MMO's I've been playing MMO's for the past 18 years starting out with Sierra's The Realm, moving on to Ultima Online, then EQ, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings, Age of Conan, Rift, Tera etc. I have been reading a lot of the forums in which players are tired of what is currently out in the MMO community and looking for a game that is a bit more refreshing.

Let me rewind, does anyone remember the days of UO when you would get that rush when pvping or knowing you could die at any moment exploring a vast world that seemed seamless? Do you remember EQ and the large amounts of grind that it required to level up or get that specific weapon you were looking for?

Well I have a suggestion for you that has not been really mentioned on the forums. Darkfall Unholy Wars. The game has been out for a bit over 6 months now and even though it's developer AV at times lacks updated content and communication to its community things are starting to get a bit better. The game is definitely a grind and is full loot pvp however it is an open world sandbox with a huge (perhaps the largest) world to explore. I would definitely recommend it as I have only played it for 2 months now and I am addicted as can be. I have outlined some of the key attributes to the game:

-full loot pvp

-vast world that would take 2 to 3 hours to run from coast to coast

-naval warfare/sieges

-in depth crafting system

-sandbox mmo

-subscription based $35 to purchase game $15 a month

-non level system that focuses on completing tasks to gain "prowess" to use to increase skills

REVIEWS: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/875/view/reviews/load/269/A-Tough-But-Rewarding-Nut-to-Crack.html

VIDEOS: http://www.darkfallonline.com/media/videos

Comments

• RashmeindRashmeind Member Posts: 18
    Great recommendation!  Seriously, thanks for putting this out there it sounds like it could be exactly what I am in the market for :)
  • TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177

I am not sure if this is still true but I was reading they only have a few hundred players left and have to leave their offices because they are out of money. 

If that is the case, why promote this game when it is on it's last breath. Especially since its subscription based.

Can someone comment on this?

PS: They are taken over by InternetQ i was reading too. So much vague information out there.

PSS: OP joined today with 1 post to promote the game. Think of that what you want.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

I have been a long term follower of Darkfall since 2001. This game is basically still in beta.

I would not recommend this game to an enemy.

It seems that this game is not on the priority list of the developers projects.

Until they remove the $40.00 pay to see barrier, I suggest that all buyers beware.

I won't comment on the join date or number of posts from the OP.

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233
    Too many cheaters/bots/hacks for my tastes.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    If I didn't already know the game isn't really like that, this would of been exciting!
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Full loot PvP = no thanks.
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    If I didn't already know the game isn't really like that, this would of been exciting!

+

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• Jasper300Jasper300 Member Posts: 62

hey all,

I did a one month subscription. Played the game for 2 weeks and I thought it wasn't worth it in any sense.

I wish there was either a b2p or f2p game similiar to this type of game, that would be awesome

Originally posted by Jasper300

hey all,

I did a one month subscription. Played the game for 2 weeks and I thought it wasn't worth it in any sense.

I wish there was either a b2p or f2p game similiar to this type of game, that would be awesome

See War of the Roses

http://store.steampowered.com/app/42160

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

check out The Stomping Lands

www.Thestompingland.com 

there is 3 videos on Youtube about this game...Looks really amazing Cant wait to try it out someday

Cavemen Versus dinosaurs Survival MMO  can build structures make tribes .PVP I think  ..Set Rambo style traps haha

Looks like it could be a  very interesting game

• djdeevwdjdeevw Member Posts: 9

As I mentioned AV is one of the major issues of this game...however with that being said they just launched a Beta version of the game in Asian that had huge success, furthermore, they are implementing some of the content into the NA/EU servers. Also, the player base is not dead, don't listen to everything you read. The game itself is slowly growing past it's initial release and AV is starting to dedicated more community feedback through the MVP forums.

Again I'm not saying the game doesn't have room for growth however it seems like every game out there right now is a theme park style WoW look a like and if you are tired of that traditional play style this could be the game for you. Also I am not a fan of f2p games due to everything it brings to the genre.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by djdeevw

Fellow MMO's I've been playing MMO's for the past 18 years starting out with Sierra's The Realm, moving on to Ultima Online, then EQ, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings, Age of Conan, Rift, Tera etc. I have been reading a lot of the forums in which players are tired of what is currently out in the MMO community and looking for a game that is a bit more refreshing.

Let me rewind, does anyone remember the days of UO when you would get that rush when pvping or knowing you could die at any moment exploring a vast world that seemed seamless? Do you remember EQ and the large amounts of grind that it required to level up or get that specific weapon you were looking for?

Well I have a suggestion for you that has not been really mentioned on the forums. Darkfall Unholy Wars. The game has been out for a bit over 6 months now and even though it's developer AV at times lacks updated content and communication to its community things are starting to get a bit better. The game is definitely a grind and is full loot pvp however it is an open world sandbox with a huge (perhaps the largest) world to explore. I would definitely recommend it as I have only played it for 2 months now and I am addicted as can be. I have outlined some of the key attributes to the game:

-full loot pvp

-naval warfare/sieges

-sandbox mmo

-non level system that focuses on completing tasks to gain "prowess" to use to increase skills

REVIEWS: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/875/view/reviews/load/269/A-Tough-But-Rewarding-Nut-to-Crack.html

Glad you having fun but highlighting the good bits and not the poor bits is the down fall with your post. This company failed on the first game and nothing sort of failed on this too. If you read all the negative feed-back and complaints about this game then your advertising for them will fall on deaf ears. Personally IMO you need to come back after 6 months and then give your opinion. I too have been gaming for 18+ years and would advise people to stay away from this company but then wtf should I be telling others how to or what to spend they money on. image

Will I ever play another game from these guys....NO!!!

Asbo

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

DF is a good idea for a game, it is poorly executed though and they know it. If they ever want to get the US fanbase to play their game again they need to give a free trial so they can attract people that haven't already seen the game.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I agree that DF might be a short fix for some pvp but that is hardly a FULL experience,PVE is the more popular mode of game play,just that EVERY single game except ffxi does it the same.I am not really tired of FFXI after all these years,hard to believe,more so i just don't like soloing and most everyone has turned the game into speed leveling and  grinding loot,so basically WOW end game.

BTW i have played DF,it never offered enough to keep me interested.When i want to pvp there is no game that does it for me better than UT99,no game offers every aspect of pvp the way it does.I don't need a special face or realm or special textures to enjoy pvp,i just want all the aspects that go into a thoughtful and skillful game and UT99 does it for me.

The biggest problem with MMORPG's trying to do pvp,is it is pretty much 99% stand out in the open and spam your BEST dps icon.DF is not like that per say but it also does not offer the weapon changes and versatility of say a FPS like UT99.

Also rpg's don't offer cover and escape routes and z axis or hot points not even prediction aside from leading your target a bit to allow for lag aim.I tried to give many examples to show that it is NOT all about "non tab" like so many think,it is about bringing together LOTS of ideas and choice both for weapon and thinking.

Point is MMORPG's do not come remotely close to doing pvp well,no not even the DOTA's.LOL ,Starcraft,none of them.

The game that comes the closest to a full body pvp experience is Quake,no surprise these were the first two fps pvp games on the world pvp games platforms.Point is YES there is a fix when bored of RPG's,for me it is not DF,it COULD be ANY rpg if someone can do it correctly and with lots of depth,but for now i am still waiting.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Grimula

check out The Stomping Lands

www.Thestompingland.com 

there is 3 videos on Youtube about this game...Looks really amazing Cant wait to try it out someday

Cavemen Versus dinosaurs Survival MMO  can build structures make tribes .PVP I think  ..Set Rambo style traps haha

Looks like it could be a  very interesting game

Holy crap that looks cool! I just checked out the video on the Kickstarter page and I was really impressed with what they have so far in the prototype. Never heard of this before, so thanks for the heads up!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• HiddenxdragonHiddenxdragon Member UncommonPosts: 127

Hello all, I agree with this post on so many levels. If anyone is skeptical please ask questions. And don't take one persons opinions . To address the full loot "people get all scared off". Your gear is pretty easy to obtain and eventually breaks any ways.

SO you may be losing your loot when you die but its not the end of the world. There is no game on market like this, that is currently functioning.

The game needs more player base for sure but is by no means dead. There are guild/clans that will welcome new players. And lastly about the Devs, they are a small indie company, what can you expect? People what more content, while other games give to much content and take a way things you enjoy. So think on the positive side. 

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

serious anyone really would belive on the op?

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

serious anyone really would belive on the op?

OP didn't make any grand claims, just outlined what's in Unholy Wars.

And people need to learn the difference between a lie, a scam, and missing an ETA.

As for the OP, I wouldn't call WoW or Rift traditional MMOs, I'd call them casual MMOs, WoW clones, or themeparks (the politically correct term)

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Caaahl
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

And people need to learn the difference between a lie, a scam, and missing an ETA.

Since you seem to be lacking a solid long experience with Aventurine, I want to advise you to watch this video:

I've been following Darkfall since 2006, played the early beta, all the way to close, same for UW. I'm very familiar with your name too, as you constantly trolled on the Darkfall boards. But thanks.

I've been following Darkfall since 2006, played the early beta, all the way to close, same for UW. I'm very familiar with your name too, as you constantly trolled on the Darkfall boards. But thanks.

Thats interesting, because since early 2010 i used another forum account. Why did you once again not refer to the rest of my post, though? Inconvenient?

That's interesting, why did you use or have another forum account?

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Thats interesting, because since early 2010 i used another forum account. Why did you once again not refer to the rest of my post, though? Inconvenient?

That's interesting, why did you use or have another forum account?

That's pretty off topic now, but to not let you in the dark:

After a year of DF i had a burn out (df wise) and wanted to experience the new player feeling again. So I said good bye to my clan (Elantar; we had Skaranibben and Sunthrone, so playing in Dwarf/Mahirim lands mostly).

What they didnt know, i went incognito with a new account and started to play solo.

Where did the new account came from? 

I was given a DF Box by AV for making the 3rd place in a screenshot event by them. (Yes, see how much of a hating troll i was? I participated in fan events and even won...) Within the Box there was a 30-Day Playing Card (with a serial), so i conveniently used this for my new account and new life on Agon. :)

I started then anew as a primitive Ork (been an rp'ing Human before and needed something different also roleplay wise).

And, to come to your question, of course i also connected a new forum account to said character to stay incognito (i didnt want my old clanmates to recognize me, since i really wanted to experience the game being a lonesome warrior.

Many months later i then went to Sunthrone and after a good fight with some of my old clanmates i revealed my true identity (as a player). ;)

[mod edit]

Ah, ok just wondering.  I would imagine that the majority of so called alt accounts are because the main one was banned.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

"Played" for three weeks.  Cutting down trees got old and I thought it kinda lame I couldn't get rid of the noob gear.  I

cud ave used that weight for more lumber.  

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

Im wondering, why developers of the games like Darkfall put monthly fee into their game and have barely 20-30k subscribers? Wouldn't it be better to make this game b2p or f2p? I know that many of us are against f2p formula, but we have to admit that games like Darkfall are niche and making game more accesible (from bussiness point of view, not difficulty) could heal this game a lot and give developers money to fix and further develope the game.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by djdeevw

-full loot pvp

-naval warfare/sieges

-sandbox mmo

[mod edit]

I thought the prowess system was cool at first.. and then I realized I'd rather have the old system back.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by rastapastor

Im wondering, why developers of the games like Darkfall put monthly fee into their game and have barely 20-30k subscribers? Wouldn't it be better to make this game b2p or f2p? I know that many of us are against f2p formula, but we have to admit that games like Darkfall are niche and making game more accesible (from bussiness point of view, not difficulty) could heal this game a lot and give developers money to fix and further develope the game.

There are a couple of hurdles with that. First and foremost... what would they sell? Would cosmetic items have much appeal in a full loot environment? If selling gear, what effect would that have on crafting? The economy? Balance in PVP?

For all its faults, at its core Darkfall does have a rather engaging game of conquest and control. While F2P may bolster the armies some, the trade off would be in finding a viable alternative business model that doesn't break the existing gameplay.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre