Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions for new gaming keyboard?

A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Hey folks!

I went and did the most common error a gamer can do: wake up, sit at computer and try to grab from your coffee mug with shaky hands and one eye open. 

*squish* Brown liquid slowly making it's way over the keyboard, desk, soaking into mouse pad... "F#ck." I say, trying to scoop in some coffee with my lips.

After drying the keyboard, opening it, cleaning the keys, toasting it with hair dryer, I hugged it for last time before tossing it into my tech graveyard box.

So, my last keyboard was Merc Stealth by SteelSeries. By far one of the best gaming keyboards I've used. I tried buying another one but they don't make it anymore and don't have any leftovers with nordic layout in storage either. 

Let me list down some of the features that I loved in it:

- Lighting. Pretty basic feature nowadays and very handy in low light conditions.

- Macros. Used only few times, mostly as in AFK macro for not being kicked out of games while taking a pee pee or smoke break. Not a priority for me though.

- Custom keybinds. Now this, this I liked a lot. There are still some silly games that won't allow you to bind certain keys and in Merc Stealth I could literally erase whole keyboard and decide myself what happens from every single key. 

- Ergonomical layout. The key layout on gaming keyboard is just superb. My hand settled there really fast and I don't think I can play with straight board ever again.

- Extra buttons. Buttons that I can program to open immediately Fraps, Chrome, Photoshop, Winamp, C:/  - basically whatever I want.

I've tried looking something similar, but most gaming keyboards are just straight planks with red painted WASD keys, few glowing lights, macros and perhaps a LCD screen in some corner.

If you guys and gals have some wisdom to share about YOUR keyboard or keyboards in general, please do so. Every tip is welcome. 

I hate to write all my crap with tablet, save that text in Evernote, then sync it into PC and copy/paste. :) Oh and there's only limited amount of days you can be without playing games. I need me keyboard soon. *addicted twitch* 

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    The best keyboard on the planet period? An original surface pro keyboard antispill,so uber 80% of user probably utilise only 30% of its capability!its problem? Ms doesn't make a desktop wired version
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    You've used Steelseries before and liked them (me too.) Why not one of their newer models, such as the Apex?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by A.Blackloch

- Lighting. Pretty basic feature nowadays and very handy in low light conditions.

Do you really need it to be backlit?  I used to use a backlit keyboard until I realized the real problem with keyboards was the lack of  differentiation between the feel of the keys.  Now, I use a Logitech Wave for my typing keyboard.  The ergonomics result in a natural hand position and I don't feel like I'm hunting for the right place to put my fingers or find keys.

- Macros. Used only few times, mostly as in AFK macro for not being kicked out of games while taking a pee pee or smoke break. Not a priority for me though.

This can be done with third-party software.  Look for AutoIt.  That is farily easy to program in if you have done any programming.

I've tried looking something similar, but most gaming keyboards are just straight planks with red painted WASD keys, few glowing lights, macros and perhaps a LCD screen in some corner.

I feel your pain.  I currently use a Fang gamepad which is more than five years old and I want to find a suitable replacement.  Nobody seems to be interested in making true gaming peripherals for the PC anymore.  The money has shifted towards consoles, unfortunately.

See my responses in orange above.

You might want to consider a two-device setup.  Use a keyboard for typing and use something like a Logitech G13 or Nostromo for gaming.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    I actually prefer my Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard. It's very comfortable and I get extra utility from my Logitech G600 mouse.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by A.Blackloch

Hey folks!

I went and did the most common error a gamer can do: wake up, sit at computer and try to grab from your coffee mug with shaky hands and one eye open. 

*squish* Brown liquid slowly making it's way over the keyboard, desk, soaking into mouse pad... "F#ck." I say, trying to scoop in some coffee with my lips.

After drying the keyboard, opening it, cleaning the keys, toasting it with hair dryer, I hugged it for last time before tossing it into my tech graveyard box.

So, my last keyboard was Merc Stealth by SteelSeries. By far one of the best gaming keyboards I've used. I tried buying another one but they don't make it anymore and don't have any leftovers with nordic layout in storage either. 

Let me list down some of the features that I loved in it:

- Custom keybinds. Now this, this I liked a lot. There are still some silly games that won't allow you to bind certain keys and in Merc Stealth I could literally erase whole keyboard and decide myself what happens from every single key. 

- Ergonomical layout. The key layout on gaming keyboard is just superb. My hand settled there really fast and I don't think I can play with straight board ever again.

- Extra buttons. Buttons that I can program to open immediately Fraps, Chrome, Photoshop, Winamp, C:/  - basically whatever I want.

If you guys and gals have some wisdom to share about YOUR keyboard or keyboards in general, please do so. Every tip is welcome. 

I hate to write all my crap with tablet, save that text in Evernote, then sync it into PC and copy/paste. :) Oh and there's only limited amount of days you can be without playing games. I need me keyboard soon. *addicted twitch* 

Check out this baby I've had one for a few months now and its great (Corsair Vengeance K90)www.corsair.com/vengeanceK90 it has replaced my Merc stealth too.

Asbo

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    You spilled coffee on your last keyboard too. I think what most people are doing now is going with mechanical like the Corsair mentioned above. Other ones are Ducky, Rosewill, and Tt ESports.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Cleffy
    You spilled coffee on your last keyboard too. I think what most people are doing now is going with mechanical like the Corsair mentioned above. Other ones are Ducky, Rosewill, and Tt ESports.

ha!

maybe you should look into buying a more stable coffee cup ;)

seriously though, i have had this problem most of my life, as did my father. some weird neurological thingy i wont go into here. but it really does help to have cups for the computer desk you know are difficult to knock over. trust me.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Another reason to go mechanical. The non-backlit variety are pretty much bulletproof since they don't have a lot of things that can be faulted when encountering liquid. You can even bath them in deionized water to clean. The backlit or gaming lines are a different story since they usually have a whole bunch of other stuff attached to them that can go wrong.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Cleffy
    Another reason to go mechanical. The non-backlit variety are pretty much bulletproof since they don't have a lot of things that can be faulted when encountering liquid. You can even bath them in deionized water to clean. The backlit or gaming lines are a different story since they usually have a whole bunch of other stuff attached to them that can go wrong.

I have my doubts about the claims being made regarding the superiority of mechanical keyboards.  I haven't used one since the 90s, when they were the only option.  They might actually be superior, but my personal experiences with the inferior membrane keyboards have not been bad, even when exposed to liquids.

I recently spilled a sugary beverage on my Logitech Wave.  After letting it dry overnight (a mistake but I was tired and had no screwdriver) a few of the keys would not move, or felt very sticky if I forced them.  A few days later, I got my screwdriver back from a friend and took it apart.  I didn't soak it in water, like the above poster suggests mechanical keyboards can do.  Instead, a damp paper towel was used to clean the membrane and other plastic parts.  The keys which were stuck required removal and additional soaking and cleaning with a cotton swab, but everything worked fine afterwards.

I think the design of the keyboard is what makes them resilient to spills or not.  If the electronics are in a bad spot, a spill could ruin the circuitry.  My keyboard seemed to do a good job of keeping most of the fluid out of the inside of the keyboard.  I suspect this is due to the plastic which holds the keys being one solid piece, and the rubber membrane underneath forming a decent seal.  In addition, the electronics had a separate compartment from the rest of the keyboard, further reducing the potential for a spill to damage the circuits.

My advise is to not forego comfort in favor of function, when it comes to peripherals.  A decent brand like Logitech is worth the extra money.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    I like my razer blackwidow, I only buy mechanical now.
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Love my Logitech G15. Not ergonomic, but best keyboard I've owned

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I have had my Logitech G15 for like 7 years now, Spilt all kinda stuff on it/in it. Still works minus the windows key on the left....that was a recent tragedy...

I suppose you have to make the choice of membrane vs mechanical. which is ofcourse personal preference. I can stand mechanical and see no benefit going that way.

If you liked steal series, i would recommend getting an upgrade.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

i have high hopes for http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Keyboards/ROCCAT-Ryos-MK-Pro/ <- gonna try it next ,cant buy it in my country atm.

had razer blackwidow,felt plastic and cheap and selfdestructed in about 8 months. 3/10 pts

then used corsair vengeance k-90,it felt really good and solid and had some nice soft touch on it but selfdestructed in 6 months or so, 8 /10 pts.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Nitth
    I have had my Logitech G15 for like 7 years now, Spilt all kinda stuff on it/in it. Still works minus the windows key on the left....that was a recent tragedy...I suppose you have to make the choice of membrane vs mechanical. which is ofcourse personal preference. I can stand mechanical and see no benefit going that way.If you liked steal series, i would recommend getting an upgrade.

I've had my G19 since they first shipped (had it preordered in early 2009). The LCD screen is mostly useless, and I don't really recommend, but like Nitth says, the keyboard has been rock solid - the paint isn't even wearing off the keys, it still looks nearly brand new and works well across every key, and it gets ~heavy~ use.

It's a membrane keyboard, but it suits me fine (they do have a mechanical version - G710, I can't say anything about it though). The macro keys are nice and the software works well enough. I wouldn't hesitate to get something like the G105 or G510 again, but I wouldn't spring for the full LCD again.