Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen: Backers Calmed After PS4 Kerfuffle

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Recently, the Star Citizen community uncovered what seemed to be the abandonment of the game's development for PC in favor of the PlayStation 4. In a new developer blog, Chris Roberts lays those fears to rest.

I figured it was best to post this in its own thread instead of one of the many "Star Citizen on PS4, the sky is falling!" threads that sprung up this weekend after a PS4 devkit was spied in background on Jason Spangler (our CTOs) desk.

While some could view the 1+1 = 256 logic that it required to come to the conclusion that we were ditching the PC for PS4 as an overreaction it does show how passionate everyone is in this community about the PC as the best gaming platform, which warms my heart!

So let me say this.

Star Citizen IS a PC game. It will NEVER be dumbed down for a lesser platform. We will NOT limit the input options or supported peripherals to the lowest common denominator. We will NOT pass on features and technology just because they will only run on some hardware configurations.

I just upgraded my office rig to a pair of Titans running in SLI, driving a 4K monitor and a 1440P one (Thanks NVidia for the goodies!). We’re about ready to build the ultimate AMD rig with FOUR R9 290Xs and AMD’s eight core CPU driving a set of 4K monitors in Eyefinity (Thanks AMD!)

You think that’s a good approximation for console, even a next gen one like PS4 or Xbox One?

I LOVE the PC as a platform because it is open, is always moving forward, with new powerful components (usually at cheaper prices) becoming available to gamers available every year. A $3,000 high end PC gaming rig of today wipes the floor of dedicated graphics supercomputers costing over $1M 10 years ago. People were amazed at being able to get Giga flops of performance. Now we can obtain over 5 TERA flops on a single PCI-E GPU!!! The PC platform is great because it isn't static. It doesn't have rules or some controlling entity that decides what will and won’t be in the eco system. If a cool new disruptive technology like the Oculus Rift comes along it can have a chance to gain traction and become the next big thing.

Because of this Star Citizen will always be primarily a PC game and will embrace the best and newest tech.

Mr. Roberts has much more to say, so head to the Star Citizen forum for more.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    I like the way that man thinks. Consider me a follower.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    But they thought about it
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    maybe i am blind of something but his post is not discarding a PS4 port, and i like that. Im not a follower of SC because i dont like space-only games but IMO keeping it as a mainly PC game and then port it to console is a good thing too.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Star Citizen IS a PC game. It will NEVER be dumbed down for a lesser platform. 

This is the mindset PC development needs. PC is not a console, though it can be modified to be one, core experiences should utilize the PC architecture and it's the way we get such deep expansive gaming experiences as opposed to console.

I'm not opposed to consoles but there is no doubt the mindset to make PC games more console like has become more common than ever, not that I think it's bad, just that there should be a seperation between what is a core PC game and what is not.

Core PC gaming experiences should never die as they offer some of the most immersive deep gaming experiences availiable, ones to get totally lost in, glad Chris has the guts to make this statement, now to just convince the hardcore console gamers that more control over what you do = better.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

You noticed here never said he wasn't developing for the PS4. Star Citizen will PRIMARILY be a PC game (Implying other platforms, including PS4, are still possible.)

he said never and not a lot...but he never said they were not going to do it...they just wouldn't dumb the game down to allow it...meaning if I can get the current version to run on a ps4, he might. It is made in CryEngine 3 after all, which works quite well on a console.

If he said it elsewhere, he never said it in the quotes mmorpg posted...they have

crowd funded so much money for this game that they aren't going to have a lot of sales for the PC game after it launches. Most of us have already bought it in one way or another. Naturally, I expected him to start considering other means of generating revenue....consoles.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Yep, I read the whole post on their website. Basically, he'd do it if MS and Sony stopped being closed platforms regarding online games.

Don't hold your breath on that one, console players.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Thank god for that.. already have 2000 euros parked for a new Star Citizen ready PC.
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    maybe i am blind of something but his post is not discarding a PS4 port, and i like that. Im not a follower of SC because i dont like space-only games but IMO keeping it as a mainly PC game and then port it to console is a good thing too.

Chris can do what ever he wants as long it doesn't effect the PC version.

"Star Citizen IS a PC game. It will NEVER be dumbed down for a lesser platform. "

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Haha that was well said,even though i don't agree with him on a few points.Now let's see if he can make great game,talk is cheap :P

I have personally NEVER liked consoles,i have owned a PC since way back when they were really tough to configure to play a game.I go back to DOS ,no such thing as Windows and auto loading hardware.We had to configure floppy disks to run a game and configure all the hardware.

funny though ,.i still remember two of the biggest games for console for their  era.Rings of Power jammed to the max onto the Sega console cartridge and might NMagic by American Sammy  was pretty darn big for the simple NES cartridge.

I think for many mainstream computer owners their first DOS fps game was Wolfenstein  and first RPG may have been Wizardry :) this is way back in 1981 lol.

Long live PC !!

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    If Elite Dangerous will be ported to the next gen consoles which has a much larger open world (400 billion star systems scaled to real life galaxy) then I dont see why SC couldnt?  I mean its graphics arent even all that impressive, its about the same in quality as most other recent games.  If PS4 can handle Planetside 2 at max PC settings than it should have no problem with SC either.
  • SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    If Elite Dangerous will be ported to the next gen consoles which has a much larger open world (400 billion star systems scaled to real life galaxy) then I dont see why SC couldnt?  I mean its graphics arent even all that impressive, its about the same in quality as most other recent games.  If PS4 can handle Planetside 2 at max PC settings than it should have no problem with SC either.

Read the rest of his post, he's shooting a little higher than that.  Remember also that everything you've seen of SC has been alpha, it already looks really good, it will only get better.

My favorite quote was "Instead of Crysis benchmarks when they test a new GPU I want to see Star Citizen!"  He wants to be able do push the limits of the highest end gaming PC's.  A good goal to have imo.  Be nice if he pulls it off.

Originally posted by Sybnal

Read the rest of his post, he's shooting a little higher than that.  Remember also that everything you've seen of SC has been alpha, it already looks really good, it will only get better.

My favorite quote was "Instead of Crysis benchmarks when they test a new GPU I want to see Star Citizen!"  He wants to be able do push the limits of the highest end gaming PC's.  A good goal to have imo.  Be nice if he pulls it off.

They can still do all those things for the PC for future improvements, while giving the consoles its own separate client scaled for the consoles.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Love the double speech here, Star Citizen IS a PC game, primarly....
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I like the way he talks and his unwavering support for the best machine.....THE PC

I just realized he said this...

"Because of this Star Citizen will always be primarily a PC game and will embrace the best and newest tech."

But it could just mean he worded it wrong and he really just meant "only a PC game"

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115

They can still do all those things for the PC for future improvements, while giving the consoles its own separate client scaled for the consoles.

That would be a waste of resources IF SC will actually be the PC game he says it will be.

I never backed it, so hes future decisions will tell if i buy it or not.

PC IS the superior platform for anything.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

There is no way that Chris ever thought of scrapping the PC project , after receiving millions in support to make this PC game, if he scrapped it, theres no way he would of lived to see his next birthday, I highly doubt this ever crossed his mind.

Originally posted by sumo0

That would be a waste of resources IF SC will actually be the PC game he says it will be.

You also gotta realize the fact that the game still has to be optimized for mid range PCs because not every PC gamer has the PC he described and have the money to be able to keep up with high end PC upgrades.  Basically no matter how many improvements he would make down the line for graphics features for high end PCs, the game would still would need to be able to scaled down for the customers who still uses 2012-2013 mid range PCs 5 years from now.  And on top of that the PS4 has x86 PC architecture so programming for it is the same as a PC.

Also consoles didnt stop PC users from using features like tress-fx on tomb raider, or HBAO, TXAA and PhysX on Arkham Origins or Assassins Creed 4.  They didnt stop PC users from using DX10 and DX11 on games that were multi-platform.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by SBFord

Recently, the Star Citizen community uncovered what seemed to be the abandonment of the game's development for PC in favor of the PlayStation 4. In a new developer blog, Chris Roberts lays those fears to rest.

I figured it was best to post this in its own thread instead of one of the many "Star Citizen on PS4, the sky is falling!" threads that sprung up this weekend after a PS4 devkit was spied in background on Jason Spangler (our CTOs) desk.

While some could view the 1+1 = 256 logic that it required to come to the conclusion that we were ditching the PC for PS4 as an overreaction it does show how passionate everyone is in this community about the PC as the best gaming platform, which warms my heart!

So let me say this.

Star Citizen IS a PC game. It will NEVER be dumbed down for a lesser platform. We will NOT limit the input options or supported peripherals to the lowest common denominator. We will NOT pass on features and technology just because they will only run on some hardware configurations.

I just upgraded my office rig to a pair of Titans running in SLI, driving a 4K monitor and a 1440P one (Thanks NVidia for the goodies!). We’re about ready to build the ultimate AMD rig with FOUR R9 290Xs and AMD’s eight core CPU driving a set of 4K monitors in Eyefinity (Thanks AMD!)

You think that’s a good approximation for console, even a next gen one like PS4 or Xbox One?

I LOVE the PC as a platform because it is open, is always moving forward, with new powerful components (usually at cheaper prices) becoming available to gamers available every year. A $3,000 high end PC gaming rig of today wipes the floor of dedicated graphics supercomputers costing over $1M 10 years ago. People were amazed at being able to get Giga flops of performance. Now we can obtain over 5 TERA flops on a single PCI-E GPU!!! The PC platform is great because it isn't static. It doesn't have rules or some controlling entity that decides what will and won’t be in the eco system. If a cool new disruptive technology like the Oculus Rift comes along it can have a chance to gain traction and become the next big thing.

Because of this Star Citizen will always be primarily a PC game and will embrace the best and newest tech.

ROFL....This little gem has got him ultra media attention and guess what having worked with Chris for 8 hours at his event in Koln during Gamescom we discussed this very subject and it will NEVER see the PS4. But hey everyone is allowed to dream right!

Asbo

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115

You also gotta realize the fact that the game still has to be optimized for mid range PCs because not every PC gamer has the PC he described and have the money to be able to keep up with high end PC upgrades.  Basically no matter how many improvements he would make down the line for graphics features for high end PCs, the game would still would need to be able to scaled down for the customers who still uses 2012-2013 mid range PCs 5 years from now.  And on top of that the PS4 has x86 PC architecture so programming for it is the same as a PC.

Also consoles didnt stop PC users from using features like tress-fx on tomb raider, or HBAO, TXAA and PhysX on Arkham Origins or Assassins Creed 4.  They didnt stop PC users from using DX10 and DX11 on games that were multi-platform.

That being said those games had nowhere near the AI or gameplay value that can be made for a PC exclusive game. Why? Because CPU's suck in consoles. PS4 will have a 1.6GHZ 8-core processor whereas i can buy a 3.5GHZ 8-core which can be overclocked to more than 4-4.5GHZ (or more). PS4 will have 8GB ram which is something my 5 year old PC have (my new one will have 32).

Nomatter what you say they would have to tone down graphics and AI for a console port. Either by designing the game with consoles in mind or by making an entirely different version for the console.

I would like for once to see a game developed to test the PC's to the limit.

Imagine SC being stuck on old tech because of the console..

Originally posted by NightBandit
    Originally posted by SBFord

So let me say this.

ROFL....This little gem has got him ultra media attention and guess what having worked with Chris for 8 hours at his event in Koln during Gamescom we discussed this very subject and it will NEVER see the PS4. But hey everyone is allowed to dream right!

Yet in this statement, he only said never to PS3 and 360 but for PS4 and Xbone said no current plans. 

"IF they allow our community to openly interact with each other across platforms then I would CONSIDER supporting them."

Which sony does as proven with the cross-platform play with Final Fantasy 14 ARR.

"IF the platform holders (Sony & Microsoft) allow us to update the code and data without restrictions and odious time consuming QC procedures"

Which sony does with their own SoE mmorpgs, for example DC Universe just got a graphics update.  So I see no reason why they wouldnt support them on that front with SC.

And if having resources to support the console client is a problem, well he said it him self that sony is willing to support them for the PS4 client.  And he even said that sony is the most supportive of indie games which you can see by their library of upcoming indie/kickstarter games.

In the end he never took out the possibility of SC coming to PS4 or Xbone

"Anything else, if it happens at all, will just be after the fact."

And even if it never comes to consoles, the game would still need to be able to support current mid range PCs 5 years down the line for the customers who havent upgraded their PCs as the one he described.  Meaning it would still need to be able to scale down for those customers who still uses 2012-2013 mid range PCs if he wants to keep majority of his customers.

The consoles never stopped me from using higher graphics settings and features like DX11 on multi-platform games especially considering last gen consoles had very different programming architecture from PCs but this time both PS4 and Xbone uses x86 and DX11.

Also he said "Primarily for PC"

Which Crysis did and eventually ported to consoles without having to dumb down the PC versions graphics.

Which Crysis did and eventually ported to consoles without having to dumb down the PC versions graphics.

SC will have to be dumbed down if Chris wants this.

"IF they allow our community to openly interact with each other across platforms then I would CONSIDER supporting them."

Originally posted by Precusor

SC will have to be dumbed down if Chris wants this.

Sony lets Final Fantasy 14 ARR do exactly that with PC/PS3/PS4 on same servers