Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFG: What's the most challenging action MMORPG regarding PVE?

KeenomKeenom Member Posts: 2

So basically I've given up on tab targeting mmo's and wan to fully commit to the action mmo genre. I want to know in your opinion what's the most challenging action mmorpg currently out and why, as I'm currently looking for one to stick with for awhile (as I wait the amazing mmo's that are coming soon).

Just a few things while recommending:

+ I'm not really a fan of mmorpg pvp

+I'm not concerned about the size of the community as long as there is one.

+I don't mind the grind as long as the challenge spikes 

+100000 keybindings are not something that interest me

+And I'm a EU player (just incase anyone recommends anything restricted ^-^)

I know it'll be different for everyone but that's why I'm asking for every ones opinion, just to give me a rough guidance.

Thanks for your time

Comments

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

While people may say TERA (not hard). I'll say PoE. Path of exile is a very very good game. It's a shining beacon for what a f2p game should be. People don't purchase things off the shop because they need them in game, they do it because of how impressed with the game they are that they want to give something back.

If a diablo-esque game isn't what you're looking for then I would look to TSW. I didn't get very far into the game (trial ran out) but I had a lot of fun.

There really aren't that many action mmo's out currently. So your options are rather limited. I've seen more people stream DDO lately on twitch, but I've read things about that game being p2w (I personally have no clue). Nor do I have any idea about the difficulty in the game.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Poe is not and never will be a mmo

Tsw or Aoc I guess
  • SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53

As PoE isn't an mmorpg or even remotely hard (hack and slash games can never be hard....)

Tera is probably the hardest people claming it's not difficult are typically people who havent leveled to max level in it. Just leveling alone becomes quite harsh at higher levels. (unless they changed it 54-58 was hell when I leveled in the game) And several of the dungeons are quite difficult to get use to.

DCUO Is another option, its fairly hard but there are problems with it mainly the fact that it's massively p2w.

There is also vindictus and aoc (I've never tried these two so I can't answer to those)

Some people would claim that neverwinter, dragons prophet and/or guildwars 2 are action combat games but I disagree.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Guild Wars 2 is going to provide more of a challenge at high level Fractals than any other action MMORPG, unfortunately it's an artificial challenge (just higher values on all the MOBs) rather than a genuine one.  The rest of the game including explorable modes is piss easy though.  You also have to grind a significant amount to get to that challenge, but you said you don't mind that.  You can also challenge yourself in the game by completing explorable mode dungeons solo as there are a few that are possible to do solo.

AoC has challenges for raiders.  Not sure if it qualifies as an Action MMO, though obviously if you want more action combat play a physical damage class over a caster.  Raids mechanically are simpler than say WoW or Rift, but probably a bit less forgiving.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I found Vindictus and TERA to both be challenging at the higher levels. Vindictus' bosses and TERAs BAMsget noticeably more challenging by the second or third encounter, and even at mid-level they offer a really challenging group experience.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DjevikDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Sacria

Tera is probably the hardest people claming it's not difficult are typically people who havent leveled to max level in it. Just leveling alone becomes quite harsh at higher levels. (unless they changed it 54-58 was hell when I leveled in the game) And several of the dungeons are quite difficult to get use to.

Are the kidding? I played since beta up until now and recently stop playing it.. well actually I played on and off...

But Tera is by far the easiest game to level in.. you can get to 1-60 in 7 days on any toon and faster if your a dps.. I have 4 almost 5 cap lvls..

TERA IS EASY MODE.. if the dungeons like manya core after you learn the mechanics easy.. same with the new dungeons..

Only thing tera has going for it is the action combat system... if they took out all the safe zones and just made big city's safe then I probably go back but fawk Tera.. its super boring as fawk

• AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69
    Well RaiderZ just got a new patch a couple of days ago and it has made the game HARD. If you aren't on your a-game you will die. A lot. But it's action based so if you know how to block and dodge you'll survive (probably).

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

You are not going to get more challenging in non tab target ,only more cumbersome and that actually makes it worse.

I would say if looking for an outright challenge "non tab" then Darkfall, lF it is anything like the original.You don't like key binds but these other games have a million different combinations and icons to maintain,why do you think they all go for add ons?

Darkfall seems to minimize the cumbersome of combat .less icons and add-ons to worry about,just grab your weapon and aim/predict and learn your surroundings.

None of it will ever come close to fps combat such as in Unreal or Quake,you really need ALL your skills to compete or get owned badly.In rpg's you can become quite proficient in a short time,without all your skills up to par in a fps like Unreal or Quake,you have no chance EVER.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Any "skill" based game is really going to show who does and doesn't have it. People who think omg this game is stupid easy...are either full of shit or they just have natural skill when it comes to the game. The opposite of course is also true. People who have little to no reaction skill or situational awareness are going to find the game very hard to play.

TERA is like that. If you can dodge and time your skills to not be stuck in an animation when the bam swings, the game is easy. If you're one of those people who can't watch what's going on around you and use abilites, the game is not very easy.

They have a new dungeon now ( kg ) it's pretty much a giant rock monster than has super slow stomp attacks. They're really obvious when they're coming but if you get hit, ( and your not in top end gear) you die. It's very funny to me to watch the same ppl die over and over again all the while getting more and more mad at the stupid game with it's op one shot bosses.... and then after the 5th or 6th death they rage quit.

These are the reason why the rest of us can't have nice things. Why games have to be in the lower end of the skill range and why there will always be a place for " low player skill " versions of combat in mmos.

• SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Djevik

Are the kidding? I played since beta up until now and recently stop playing it.. well actually I played on and off...

But Tera is by far the easiest game to level in.. you can get to 1-60 in 7 days on any toon and faster if your a dps.. I have 4 almost 5 cap lvls..

TERA IS EASY MODE.. if the dungeons like manya core after you learn the mechanics easy.. same with the new dungeons..

Only thing tera has going for it is the action combat system... if they took out all the safe zones and just made big city's safe then I probably go back but fawk Tera.. its super boring as fawk

ok bro. That's nice for you bro. Everything is easy after you learn how to do it, by the way. Quantum mechanics? Easy once you understand it. High level math in general? Easy once you understand it. Etc etc. You can't claim things are easy because they are once you are past the learning stage, since the learning stage is what makes things hard. Then again judging from your logic you probably found basic math hard.

Leveling in the game is harder than:

Wow, rift, aion, priston tale, everquest, dragon's prohpet, neverwinter, final fantasy XIV, defiance etc etc etc.

In fact I've never tried a single mmo that even comes close in difficulty (while leveling). Does that mean it takes ages to level? No. Difficulty has nothing to do with time taken. You can make a game where you have to kill 100.000.000 mobs to level once which would take ages, would it make the game hard? Not if the mobs are easy to kill. 

And to the people claiming POE (or diablo or torchlight etc) has any form of difficulty, it doesn't. You can be punished if you dont have enough potions or your gear is bad or your skill build is bad, but in the end it is a hack a slash game. If you tried to level in certain mmp's wearing nothing but paper from level 1 without spending any of your skill points you would struggle there also. Get real, please.

OP asked what the hardest action mmorpg is, the answer is tera. If you don't like it then you dont like it, that doesn't mean its' wrong.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by Djevik

And I guess you cleared every high end dungeon on every mode right ? :D

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Play the Vendetta Online free trial. Play the Rogue Queen mission. Report back here.

(If you prefer other flavors, you could also try Research Vessel Defense from the Rogue Drones tree, or Intermediate Combat Practice. Those are two of mine)

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance