Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: If ESO costs $15/month, will you play it?

Comments

• MalinkadinkMalinkadink Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Honestly no, i won't pay $15 a month or whatever it will be to play this game. I am okay with buy 2 play though. After experiencing the quality of Guild wars 2 even though it was a themepark to the max and it only being buy 2 play theres no reason why i would pay a sub again for an mmo unless it was a better experience than WoW and the mmo we have all been waiting for, otherwise no thanks, it'll be f2p in a few months after launch anyways 
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I have no interest in it as a sub based MMO. ZERO.

If Guild Wars couldn't keep my interest, there's no way ESO will.

• FateAkiFateAki Member Posts: 2
    No, I won't pay for a subscription. While 10$ isn't much, it's a choice I made as a gamer: only play it free or with beta keys. If I barely have enough money to survive till the end of the month, I won't use my parents' money (I am an uni student) for something like a game. There's only one single exception in my entire life - and ESO is not part of it.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I won't buy the game if i cannot try it first.

(yes I signed up for beta testing)

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Yes I will play, $15 a month is nothing, especieliy if the game is good and the updates are steady and frequent.

Godz of War I call Thee

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

Hehe. The poll is funny. On the one side we have the "OMG OMG I NEEDZ SUB GAMES OR ELSE ITS P2W AND CASH SHOP CRAP" kind of hypsters, on the other hand we have the F2P players who refuse to spent a dime on an entertainment product :D 

But yeah, I won't stand the idea of getting robbed each and every month when I've payed the box price. Give me content worth of sub every 2 weeks, then I can think about it! Promises of content every X months is bull****. Unless my conditions are met you can take your sub MMO and shove it you know where.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

the hole point of an elders scrolls game is to explore and now cause of the subscription people are going to run through the game.pitty they should have had a small sub like 5$ and a cash shop.

Originally posted by waveslayer
    Yes I will play, $15 a month is nothing, especieliy if the game is good and the updates are steady and frequent.

15$/mo. is not only a robbery, it also turns you into a slave to the game and takes your choice away. What if you want to play 5 subbbed games at the same time? P2P is a broken model... Sure i'm a fan of Elder Scrolls. But that doesn't mean I'm supposed to play ONLY elder scrolls in my free time. I'm playing Skyrim even today when I'm completely bored and that happens once or twice per month. Should I pay 15$ for ~10 hours? Hell no...

I really do not understand you people. You are willingly offering your free time AND money to a single product xD

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

yes i would pay each month and actually i wont ever play a F2P game ever again unless it has a subscription model

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Raquis

the hole point of an elders scrolls game is to explore and now cause of the subscription people are going to run through the game.pitty they should have had a small sub like 5$ and a cash shop.

This is a good point - although I feel that people will run through the game whether it has a sub or not, that's just the way it is.

Sell each new content drop for $15 (or whatever) and include 30 days (or whatever) of online co-op play. People are more likely to pay for content than they are for online time.

Couple that with a way for someone who buys the game to play through the core storyline without paying a sub - which Matt Frior has said exists and can be done solo - and you won't harm the game's initial sales.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

15$/mo. is not only a robbery, it also turns you into a slave to the game and takes your choice away. What if you want to play 5 subbbed games at the same time? P2P is a broken model... Sure i'm a fan of Elder Scrolls. But that doesn't mean I'm supposed to play ONLY elder scrolls in my free time. I'm playing Skyrim even today when I'm completely bored and that happens once or twice per month. Should I pay 15$ for ~10 hours? Hell no...

I really do not understand you people. You are willingly offering your free time AND money to a single product xD

What a load of rubbish you are talking lol, do you really think that paying a pathetic $15/€19 is going to make me a slave to the game. Oh look i've payed €19 a month so i must play 8 hours a day lol, it's pathetic you actually think like that when it comes to paying a sub for an MMO.

I feel really sorry for you(actually i don't) thinking that everyone thinks like you or because we pay a sub we don't have time to play other games.

Go cry more please, TESO is sub based, don't like it then don't play it.

Simple's.image

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

What a load of rubbish you are talking lol, do you really think that paying a pathetic $15/€19 is going to make me a slave to the game. Oh look i've payed €19 a month so i must play 8 hours a day lol, it's pathetic you actually think like that when it comes to paying a sub for an MMO.

I feel really sorry for you(actually i don't) thinking that everyone thinks like you or because we pay a sub we don't have time to play other games.

Simple's.image

No really, I'm feeling sorry for people like you (I do) that you think this way :) 

The list of no P2P games that are actually worth it (no P2W and shit like that) is growing. You my friend are not paying for quality, you are mindlessly throwing your money away, it doesn't matter if its 1$, 15$, 150$ or 1000$. The box price is unjustifiable when a game is P2P yet that doesn't stop them from scamming the people playing their game. 

But that's modern society right. Here's a famous quote about it

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need." 

I guess that applies to people like you.

And really I'm not as brainwashed as you and I know my money's worth, whether its 1$ or 1000$. You don't have to feel sorry for me, you have to feel sorry for you and the folks that have your mindset. I can live without ES online and stay strong on my principals. You can't! 

P.S: Before you get all worried about me, know that I love my job :) 

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Simple's.image

No really, I'm feeling sorry for people like you (I do) that you think this way :) 

The list of no P2P games that are actually worth it (no P2W and shit like that) is growing. You my friend are not paying for quality, you are mindlessly throwing your money away, it doesn't matter if its 1$, 15$, 150$ or 1000$. The box price is unjustifiable when a game is P2P yet that doesn't stop them from scamming the people playing their game. 

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need." 

And really I'm not as brainwashed as you and I know my money's worth, whether its 1$ or 1000$. You don't have to feel sorry for me, you have to feel sorry for you and the folks that have your mindset. I can live without ES online and stay strong on my principals. You can't! 

I dont know how about you, but I wont work in job which I hate to buy shit I dont need. I buy shit I do need BUT also which I want and I am happy for :) When I buy game and it has box price + subscripton for me it is justifiable, box prices include dvds, manuals, distribution, etc. so I pay for it. Subscription is about upgrades, good and stable servers and support so I pay for it .. if you think these things are for free, then you must live on Mars or something :)

But okey, you can live without playing ESO and I guarantee you ESO can live without you playing :)

So have a nice day :)

Originally posted by Dogblaster

Simple's.image

I dont know how about you, but I wont work in job which I hate to buy shit I dont need. I buy shit I do need BUT also which I want and I am happy for :) When I buy game and it has box price + subscripton for me it is justifiable, box prices include dvds, manuals, distribution, etc. so I pay for it. Subscription is about upgrades, good and stable servers and support so I pay for it .. if you think these things are for free, then you must live on Mars or something :)

But okey, you can live without playing ESO and I guarantee you ESO can live without you playing :)

So have a nice day :)

Please do tell me what DVDs and manuals you get from a digital download :) Which is usually the cheapest package and the one that most people buy. Now if you get a collector's edition that is understandable, but otherwise please cut the crap. 

And the thing about the stable servers is a nonsense. Remember FFXIV anybody? People being unable to log for weeks after launch. Also SEs support is pretty bad, not to mention that they still haven't made a major upgrade to the game, 3 months in or so. But yeah, keep paying. 

And yeah, probably ESO can live without me, but the cool thing is that that people start to awaken from that farce since WoW - which is making people pay a box price, expansions price and a god damn subscription fee. You can clearly see the rise of B2P and F2P :) 

Most ES fans like me are frustrated because they won't be able to enjoy their game whenever they want (as they do now, after they buy the game). And that will show 6 months into the game, maybe one year. Bethesda is setting up for another TSW migration (P2P -> B2W -> That's when i throw my money away at the game and their cash shop if they have one)

And the point you made about the job, I'm glad to hear that you will always be able to work whatever u please, but then again the world is not spinning around you and you represent a very small percentage of the human population which I am in as well. Some people just don't have a choice :/ even if both of us a doing great financially and emotionally

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I'll probally not bother with it at all, the game looks like shit in my eyes, maybe if I get into beta but otherwise i have no real interest in it. From what I heard from people who are in the beta, the game is extremly boring to the point they cannot really be bothered anymore. Especally the combat side of things is boring, melee is pretty much spam left click till target dies. Even a mmo with a wow-like generic combat system sounds like it'd be more intersting. I also dislike how your faction is decided by what race you pick which is another reason for me not to waste my time. From everything I have seen so far the game just looks increadbly boring, I mean skyrim was pretty boring due to how much it was dumbed down for consoletards, and ESO is bascally a multiplayer skyrim so I honestly do not expect much. Then again fanboys are generally stupid enough that if it said elder scrolls on a box with shit inside it they'd buy it and praise it anyway.

Maybe my opinion will change later on, but for now, the game just doesn't seem all that intersting. So no, i'd not sub to it, nor would I buy it at this point.

in other news.. I wish the Starbound beta would start already, I pre-ordered the game way back when they first started the pre-orders.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Just to summarize my thought above ... 

Neverwinter had more successful launch than FFXIV as far as server stability is concerned. And it's a bloody F2P. Enough said on the topic of stability of P2P games compared to F2P. It's not the business plan, it's the level of professionalism a company can deliver. I have no doubt in in Zenimax/Bethesda since they have never disappointed with Fallout or ES series, but look at other P2P games like DFUW. Don't turn blind eye to the bad P2P examples and think that it's all great. That's just some brainwashed thinking :) 

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Simple's.image

P.S: Before you get all worried about me, know that I love my job :) 

I prefer subs the reason is easy i too know what my money is worth and i do know that playing F2P games means my purchases in the cashshop allows some other people to leech off of that and play for free.

It should be obvious that F2P or B2P games only work if enough people use the cashshops and i for once do not want some stranger to profit from my purchases.

Do not bother trying to sell me on the idea that i dont have to spend money first of that would make me a leech and i do have enough pride  to pay for what i want and second i do like to get the whole game not parts of it so i have to buy stuff.

I can see how some people who just dont make a lot of money would agree with you and think 15$ a month is forcing them to play.

I was trying to find a way to make the following sound nice but i think there just is no way.

If 15$ a month is worth more than 8-10hrs a months to you than you prolly should not waste your time on MMOs and better use these 10hrs+ to think about a way to better your income.

Last i would like to point out that your quote does not really apply here, after all you too do want these shit (in this case MMOs) but you much rather have other peoples money pay for it pay for your fun.

Now that works while we are kids and leech off of our parents(even tho i can not even imagine what my parents would have said if i would have wanted them to pay for an mmo for me lol) but we all need to grow up at some point.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Neverwinter had more successful launch than FFXIV as far as server stability is concerned. And it's a bloody F2P. Enough said on the topic of stability of P2P games compared to F2P. It's not the business plan, it's the level of professionalism a company can deliver. I have no doubt in in Zenimax/Bethesda since they have never disappointed with Fallout or ES series, but look at other P2P games like DFUW. Don't turn blind eye to the bad P2P examples and think that it's all great. That's just some brainwashed thinking :) 

You seem to have a funny idea about how successful Neverwinter is, or about its pricing model, which btw, is fairly expensive, sure you can play for free, but there are so many nerfs its not really worth bothering with, and theres the other problem, the game is seriously lacking in content, its a constant repetitious grind, with very very few classes to choose from, compared to FF XIV which the launch problems were entirely due to, wait for it, far more people buying the game than expected, oops, a P2P game suffering from over subscription, what a failure image

But keep on with your rants against games that go P2P instead of F2P, if the ones your playing are so good then you won't be missing all these new P2P games will you now imageimageimage

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

If its a sandbox in style of Elder Scrolls , yes

If its just another Themepark - I have enough of those for free

Originally posted by Phry

You seem to have a funny idea about how successful Neverwinter is, or about its pricing model, which btw, is fairly expensive, sure you can play for free, but there are so many nerfs its not really worth bothering with, and theres the other problem, the game is seriously lacking in content, its a constant repetitious grind, with very very few classes to choose from, compared to FF XIV which the launch problems were entirely due to, wait for it, far more people buying the game than expected, oops, a P2P game suffering from over subscription, what a failure image

But keep on with your rants against games that go P2P instead of F2P, if the ones your playing are so good then you won't be missing all these new P2P games will you now imageimageimage

Yeah you got my pun, I gave a failed MMO as an example for a better launch. It wasn't failure at launch! People did not know the game. There were queues of thousands of players. Of course Cryptic fucked it up but my point is, P2P doesn't mean a better game or better server support (looking at you DFUW and FFXIV) 

And well thank you but I'm playing Gw2 which is by far the best MMO on the market today. And the good thing is that I do not feel a pressure to play it. I just hop in whenever i feel like it. I bought the game, its mine, I do whatever I want with it. It's not like my cable tv service. And yeah I do not miss any P2P MMO. I sometimes switch to TSW since its B2P too. Do you see the link there? I play few MMOs at the same time with limited time per day. 

I know I'll probably get crucified on this forum for what im going to say here since everyone loves to hate WoW here ... what If I want to play WoW, FFXIV and ESO and WildStar at the same time. Can I do this, sure ... If I want to spit about 60-70$ a month OR if I sacrifice a game over another and that not because a given game is good or bad, its because of the stupid business model. 

Also to the guy above, don't rush o call me a leech. I play the games that I payed for and I buy the stuff i want. Latest purchases of mine are a flute and marjory's dagger skins in Gw2. And please cut the crap. Nobody is leeching off of you. You didn't throw ur money away and you didn't give them to me. You purchased something! You got your money's worth. When you go to a restaurant when you pay your bill you do not pay my soda! 

You speak that a B2P/F2P game needs a large amount of players so the cash shop could sustain them? Well guess what! P2P need about 500k subs to do well, and the only P2P games atm that do that atm are EVE:O, FFXIV and WoW. The other P2P games are struggling, because its a broken model.

But yeah ... just go buy and don't ask why :)))))) 

I'm not even going to mention the history of broken promises in P2P games and how naive you people are. You think a new game is going to be better because a dev said so? Well I guess you still expect presents from Santa on Christmas eve and I won't be the one to burst your bubble.

It's also funny and sad at the same time that some of you are so hardcore P2P that you haven't even tried the great games out there and you live off on poor games xD . The only exception is WoW which is a good game, regardless of what you people say. The subs after 10 years lifecycle just prove it

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

Getting back to the points about ESO...

There's nothing wrong with the Sub ("p2p") model itself.  The problem in recent years, and the reason that only three Sub games are still kicking, is because developers have been short-sighted enough to release these games with little or no content, horrific bugs, and not enough focus on end-game development (for examples, just take a look at Aion, Tera, ToR, and Rift, among others).  The reason WoW and Eve have lasted so long is because they have provided their players with enough content to justify them paying a monthly fee; the games mentioned above did not.  It's not that the model is bad, and I would actually prefer to pay a sub fee because it means my fellow players have something invested in the game; it's that for some inexplicable reason some of these game companies seem to believe that you can launch a game and then tell you players to wait three to six months for the content to arrive.  Sorry, but that won't work when you're charging a fee.

So as far as ESO goes, it depends on how much there is to do in the game, frankly.  And honestly guys, I don't know how many of you are playing the Beta, but I have been in it for a few months and at this point the game is little more than multiplayer Skyrim, and that's not going to work if that's what they are planning to launch as.  The combat is not very good, with the stiff, jerky, bad animations we all remember from TES games; and I think we all know that an MMO absolutely must have good quality combat or else the players won't stick around to discover the rest of it.

If they can work on their combat engine and ensure that the game actually has plenty of things for people to do - primarily the ones who are going to rush to the level cap right after launch - then they'll probably be OK, even though I really don't know if I'll be playing it or not, particularly because I feel like the "PvP economy" idea is a terrible one.  But we will see.  Point being, gamers will happily pay you a monthly fee, so long as you meet them halfway and don't let them get bored by lack of things to do in game.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

:O Aren't you breaking some NDA agreement :O 

On topic, TES have never been about combat and that works in a market that they dominate, that is the single player RPGs but that doesn't apply for MMOs nowadays. A multi-million player MMO requires a huge level of polish otherwise you get the usual forum haters. I certainly do not like what they've revealed so far either. Not lately not on E3 but still I was thinking to try it out, until I find out that it was P2P, while I was expecting it to be a B2P so I would add it to my game shelf alongside Gw2 and TSW and many others. But the fact that I can't jjust pick it up whenever I want without paying totally pushed me away. Guess I'll be waiting for Fallout 4 for my shot of RPG experience. At least when I buy it I can play it whenever and however I want including but not limited to modding the game client :) 

P.S: I only played raw Skyrim once, wasn't too happy about it. Modded the hell out of it, it became the best game ever. I wonder how are they going to address that. Especially the community bug fixes because Bethesda were a little slow on these :)

• LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326
    Out of choice I would rather pay a sub; but only if the game is worth it.  I'll wait for a few early reviews first.  
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by muppetpilot

Getting back to the points about ESO...

There's nothing wrong with the Sub ("p2p") model itself.  The problem in recent years, and the reason that only three Sub games are still kicking, is because developers have been short-sighted enough to release these games with little or no content, horrific bugs, and not enough focus on end-game development (for examples, just take a look at Aion, Tera, ToR, and Rift, among others).  The reason WoW and Eve have lasted so long is because they have provided their players with enough content to justify them paying a monthly fee; the games mentioned above did not.

I actually agree with this.

Developers have sort of done this to themselves. They kind of painted themselves in a corner with long stretches without new content and creating an "end game" which for many players just wasn't worth continuing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

P.S: I only played raw Skyrim once, wasn't too happy about it. Modded the hell out of it, it became the best game ever. I wonder how are they going to address that. Especially the community bug fixes because Bethesda were a little slow on these :)

A good many of the mods are just preference mods.

Having said that there are a few mods that make a lot of sense such as the UI mod.

As far as bug fixes, since this is Zenimax and not Bethesda, we can only wait and see how address bugs.

I would agree that Bethesda let some things through that should never have been let through. Horrible interface, clicking on the interface and not actually choosing the option you wanted (fixed by mods), some quest breaking bugs.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo