Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

No more instant-gratification from blizzard?

Comments

• TjedTjed Baltimore, MDPosts: 162Member
    I think it's awesome.  If they stick to their guns here then I'll really be looking forward to playing this expansion.  I skipped pandaria after not really liking cata.  I would love to do a new expansion with everyone grounded for a while. 
  • sportsfansportsfan BlankenbergePosts: 431Member
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by xeniar

I don't think blizzard will remove it entirely but it might depend on how patch 6.0-6.1 goes. who knows mabey people will like it and blizzard will act upon it.

And make the thousands of flying mounts some people collected over the years, some of which are very hard to get rares, obsolete? If you believe that, you and me don't live in the same kind of reality.

Not obsolete but restricted for new content could be done really.

Since these things are pure "show offs" letting them fly over the cities is great.

But not using them for a quest: "Get on the top of that hill to open the Holly Grail chest" with 2 tribes encircling the mountain...

• OmnifishOmnifish LondonPosts: 616Member

It's a rather dumb thing because people will complain that Blizzard are, 'taking something away', or, 'making it too difficult to gain something'...much like the idiotic idea of reverting back to rep grind and valor gear in MOP was.

You can't let people have something and then take it away and say that's better for them. The perception is just that a companies making it more difficult for the playerbase to progress, regardless of how it might make the game, 'better', overall..

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,544Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Omnifish

The perception is just that a companies making it more difficult for the playerbase to progress, regardless of how it might make the game, 'better', overall..

Exactly. To me, its sounds just like an excuse to slow down people and add another grind to the game.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• falconhandfalconhand ZuidbroekPosts: 47Member Uncommon

I liked the mop system with flying. You hit end level, you get for decent amount of gold the right to fly.

Having a epic questline like the cloack is not fair for the fly option.

My girlfriend and I are casual players, at least in fight skills :)

But we like to make things with our crafters and like to gather the materials.

Making flying at the level 100 cap elitish is a game breaking situation.

We do not care for not having the epic cloack. But having not the flying option when gathering materials compared to players who have the flying option is a to big of difference.

Some are loving the garrison idea and gathering materials and crafting. But do not care about raiding etc.

With mop we at least did know that at level 90 we can get the flying option.

Maybe all the responders before me are not gathering or crafting, I do not know, but for those who are, do all know the feeling during the leveling 85 - 90 in mop you see on the map a node, fight your way to it, and when allmost there a player on flying mount gathers it just before you reach it.

When making flying elite, like some want, is a to big disadvantage.

Again we do not care we die a lot, we do not care our ilevel is to low to enter some of the instances, we do not care we are one shotted at pvp, but at least let us have our crafting and gathering materials by using like in mop at end level the flying mount.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member

Flying should never have happened, ever. Flying mounts are in my opinion a mistake in any ground based MMORPG.

But now it's part of the game, some people have spent months farming the most rare flying mounts, no way Blizzard is going to piss those people off. And personally, the way they implement this will decide when I buy the expansion, if I buy it at all.

Flying mounts are both a curse and a blessing.

They're a curse because the magic and wonder of the land disappears, and the chances of PvP occurring are practically nil so a lot of the excitement evaporates as well.

They are a blessing because they make you realise what a waste of time a lot of MMORPGs are: What you want are the 'elusive' rewards. Mounts make the rewards less elusive, so when you get them without the effort (and faster per-unit-time) it's easier to appreciate that MMORPGs are a massive waste of time when it starts becoming like a job.

• RenoakuRenoaku Posts: 1,004Member Uncommon
    This makes me very glad that I quit wow with my 5 wow accounts way back I get tired of the constant nerfs that Blizzard makes and now changes like this they should leave it open to the customer how they want to play the game and give flying at the same level you get a regular mount its very stupid that I can't play wow and enjoy the game the way I want to.
  • palulalulapalulalula vukovarPosts: 655Member
    WOW world is to huge without flying. It is the best thing for me 
  • DogblasterDogblaster PraguePosts: 491Member
    Originally posted by Renoaku
    This makes me very glad that I quit wow with my 5 wow accounts way back I get tired of the constant nerfs that Blizzard makes and now changes like this they should leave it open to the customer how they want to play the game and give flying at the same level you get a regular mount its very stupid that I can't play wow and enjoy the game the way I want to.

WoW is themepark, not sandbox ... players always played the game how developers wanted them to :) nothing has changed

The perception is just that a companies making it more difficult for the playerbase to progress, regardless of how it might make the game, 'better', overall..

Exactly. To me, its sounds just like an excuse to slow down people and add another grind to the game.

What rubbish.

EXAMPLE:

There is a great chest lying on the top of the Hill.

Surrounding the Hill are 2 tribes with mobs and 2 wandering Elites.

No mount: You must overcome the challenge with the specs of your class: like Stealth (rogue), pull a small corridor (hunter, mage) or brute force (warrior, paladin) and stay out of the way of the Elites.

Mount: You mount, you fly to the top; open chest.

EVERY time Blizzard does something good and great to bring challenge you have[mod edit] moaning.... about anything really.

And ... 4 months later ....in patch 6.1 .... and when everyone has had their main or second character leveled through, yep you can fly...

[mod edit]

• tordurbartordurbar Alexandria, VAPosts: 429Member

One of the two main reasons that I return to WOW is flying. I just love flying around. Yes, it may trivialize content and I would not be upset if they made flying in WOD un-available to max level. But, take away flying and it would be the next to the last nail in the coffin for WOW for me.

Originally posted by tordurbar

One of the two main reasons that I return to WOW is flying. I just love flying around. Yes, it may trivialize content and I would not be upset if they made flying in WOD un-available to max level. But, take away flying and it would be the next to the last nail in the coffin for WOW for me.

You are too stupid to understand it then. Look at my example above.

These dudes can't be taken serious really.

There is NO reasoning in hell that you can counter my example above, in NO way, except if you would look to your post as pure and utter trolling.

• immodiumimmodium ManchesterPosts: 1,574Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by sportsfan

What rubbish.

EXAMPLE:

There is a great chest lying on the top of the Hill.

Surrounding the Hill are 2 tribes with mobs and 2 wandering Elites.

No mount: You must overcome the challenge with the specs of your class: like Stealth (rogue), pull a small corridor (hunter, mage) or brute force (warrior, paladin) and stay out of the way of the Elites.

Mount: You mount, you fly to the top; open chest.

EVERY time Blizzard does something good and great to bring challenge you have these idiots moaning.... about anything really.

And ... 4 months later ....in patch 6.1 .... and when everyone has had their main or second character leveled through, yep you can fly...

So the professional  whiners --- as Always --- lost every discussion already.

You lack imagination. Someone has already mentioned adding in flying enemies, aerial combat. That's not as easy to develop as just removing flying.

I'm with Omnifish & Mr Picard on this one. It's a feeble attempt to make their content seem longer and more challenging, and the feeble minded fall for it. :)

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarrePosts: 3,544Member Uncommon

In the actual game, we have whole parts of the world where you can't fly. They would simply have to make that "chest on a hill" area not flyable. Those mechanics already exist. That's very different from blocking a whole, huge continent completely.

Not to mention that if that "chest on a hill" is part of a quest line you do before hitting max level, you won't be able to fly anyway. Just like it always worked in all expansions until now.

Playing now: WoW, Landmark, GW2, The Crew, SotA

Top 3 MMORPGs played: UO, AC1 and WoW

Honorable mentions: AO, LotRO, SW:TOR and GW2.

----------------

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• AvanahAvanah Posts: 945Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by LadyPvP
    I liked the game more when there was no flying.

110% agree.

TGIF...Thank God I'm Female

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...
    One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

• NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    The solution is never found in taking things away...
    Just add enemies in the sky.

^

Best solution imo. Add mounted combat to that then you might have an interesting expansion.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    The solution is never found in taking things away...
    Just add enemies in the sky.

^

Best solution imo. Add mounted combat to that then you might have an interesting expansion.

Even without mounted combat that could work. Don't want people flying over an area? Add hostile dragons flying around. Or cannons that shoot you down. Or even have an impenetrable force field you need to tunnel under.

So many better ways than just blocking off the skill then unlocking it at the new level cap. I mean it kinda made sense in Wrath, when they explained it as cold weather flight. But Pandaria made no sense whatsoever. At least the timeless isle kind of tried to explain it, but then ruined it by having flying creatures all over the island.

Its just lazy design.

In Everquest 2 when they opened up the second part of Velious, they had a hostile dragon flying around who knocked people out of the sky if you tried to fly. At the end of the questline you pacify the dragon and it no longer harasses you. Same effect, but far better implementation.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Charlotte, NCPosts: 196Member
    I'm sure it has been said in here somewhere, but giving away a free 90 is instant gratification.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• MyriaMyria Lowell, MAPosts: 570Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by evilastro

Even without mounted combat that could work. Don't want people flying over an area? Add hostile dragons flying around. Or cannons that shoot you down. Or even have an impenetrable force field you need to tunnel under.

That sort of thing has been in the game for as long as there has been flying. There were several areas in BC where you could get shot down (forge camps near Ogri'la, for instance, both cannons that can shot you down and a dragon that will nuke you) and pretty much every town and city has air defenses.

Originally posted by Myria
    Originally posted by evilastro

That sort of thing has been in the game for as long as there has been flying. There were several areas in BC where you could get shot down (forge camps near Ogri'la, for instance, both cannons that can shot you down and a dragon that will nuke you) and pretty much every town and city has air defenses.

That's what you get when people post about things they have no clue about.

Whine to get attention while not even knowing the game mechanics.

Typical for this place. Whine to whine without even active playing the things.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,187Member Uncommon

It could be to draw out content. It could be to push pvp as well.

EQ2 still has flying mounts in end game zones.  You have to get down into the the content in order to get the goodies. Maybe WoW is designed differently, but the EQ2 devs don't generally put fat loot chests naked on the top of a hill where you can swoop in and grab it. Is this common in WoW or was that just a "what if" scare scenario?

Originally posted by Torvaldr

EQ2 still has flying mounts in end game zones.  You have to get down into the the content in order to get the goodies. Maybe WoW is designed differently, but the EQ2 devs don't generally put fat loot chests naked on the top of a hill where you can swoop in and grab it. Is this common in WoW or was that just a "what if" scare scenario?

EQ2 has no open world flying except in some end game zones. Is this common in EQ2 to boast about things they ... dont have ?

:)

Typical. Wake me up when you guys finally get seamless dynamic phasing and open world travel without zoning.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,187Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by sportsfan
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

EQ2 has no world flying except in some end game zones. Is this common in EQ2 to boast about things they ... dont have ?

your edit: 

Typical. Wake me up when you guys finally get seamless dynamic phasing and open world travel without zoning.

You can fly in most every, if not every, overland zone in EQ2. You can't fly in interior zones and cities. Weren't you just saying mean things about people not knowing what they're talking about?

There is a level requirement for mounts with progressively more powerful features. Leapers, gliders, and flyers all have a min level req. The level req for flyers is 85. The level cap is 95. The current expansion, Tears of Veeshan, did not raise the level cap, but did raise the AA cap.

My point in reference to EQ2 and the discussion is that there was a claim that flying trivializes game content. It's not really inherently true, but could be dependent on design. Maybe EQ2 zones aren't trivialized by flying due to their design where WoW might be. In any event, since you can insta level a character in WoW, this honestly seems more about pushing pvp and drawing out content consumption. It is a sub game, so drawing out grind is in their best interest financially.

As for your edit. It's relevant how? So you move through a loading screen between zones. How is that relevant to flying within an area?

• MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,168Member Uncommon

And make the thousands of flying mounts some people collected over the years, some of which are very hard to get rares, obsolete? If you believe that, you and me don't live in the same kind of reality.

Dude, you are talking about reality when you are way over your head into WoW.....a pixel game.

I fear for you when they announce the closure of WOW X-years from now, what will you do with your thousands of pets you 'worked' for all those years.

Fact remains, Blizzard is a company, that needs money, you ppl generate it, and if you log in and "fly" around doing all content in 1 week and then crash after 1 month being bored OR do the same expansion in 3 months and generate 3x $$$ for them, what do you expect they will do?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• RoguewizRoguewiz Lampasas, TXPosts: 614Member Uncommon

Like some of the other posters, I'm done with WoW and have been for some time (since the beginning of CATA).

The only mistake Blizz made with flying was the way the implemented it.  Flying for the sake of getting from Point A to Point B, is a mistake.  They should have implemented mounted combat, more no-fly zones, and flight based objectives.  Instead, they turned the game into a dive in, kill the single mob you need, mount and fly out game.

On the other hand, it did open up the world a little bit and allows them to place things in the sky.  So it isn't a total waste.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: League of Legends, EQ1 (Ragefire Lockjaw), Dark Souls II, Hearthstone
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall!!!

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity