Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who do you think is the BEST developer?

Comments

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Iselin who have resisted the temptation to nickle and dime with gimmicks such as paid Betas
    They sold a horse for 25 bucks a pop. No.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Hmm, designing an entire game around rmah isn't nickel and diming?

As for polishing stuff and only releasing when its ready. Sure. But valve do that too.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Iselin

Love them or hate them (I do both image) it's got to be Blizzard.

one of the few who have resisted the temptation to nickle and dime with gimmicks such as paid Betas

Blizzard used the gimmick of a paid stress test 9 years ago

I had to pay fileplanet to be part of the "exclusive" Blizzard stress test back in summer 2004

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20040826005635/en/Blizzard-Entertainment-Partners-FilePlanet-World-Warcraft-Stress

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Arenanet for me so far.

SOE might take the spot pending on how EGN is.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

They release polished products and are one of the few who have resisted the temptation to nickle and dime with gimmicks such as paid Betas (or Alphas, lol) or "free" to play. And their promises of what's coming are usually reliable... none of this "you'll get to play it in 2013 and I don't mean beta" crap with them.

This is based on personal criteria, why do so many people keep trying to proclaim one right answer here? Besides polish doesn't mean much when you don't like the product to begin with.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Nadia

one of the few who have resisted the temptation to nickle and dime with gimmicks such as paid Betas

Blizzard used the gimmick of a paid stress test 9 years ago

I had to pay fileplanet to be part of the "exclusive" Blizzard stress test back in summer 2004

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20040826005635/en/Blizzard-Entertainment-Partners-FilePlanet-World-Warcraft-Stress

Wow...didn't know that. I stand corrected. F**k them too! image

I change my answer to my son, lol... he developed this: http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/4460/my-tribe/index.html

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

In addition to bringing phasing to MMOs, their earlier innovations which became standards included vendor comparison panels, green/blue/purple gear color, overhead quest markers, and right-click 'wardrobe' feature. There are so many little things that are a regular part of our game experience that we'd need someone that hasn't played an MMO since to 2003 to actually get a decent list of the dozens of little things it introduced or made a standard in MMOs.

orginal Everquest had different colored gear tiers  back in 1999 (grey being trash)

EQ1 may have had wardrobe preview - I forget

EQ had 8 expansions before WOW released - EQ added features over time

EQ2 did have the wardrobe preview feature

EQ2 released in Oct 2004,  Everquest 2 had phasing on release

example:  there's a newbie quest on Nek beach w a ghost

you cannot see this npc ghost unless you do the quest - after the quest, the ghost is always visible (but only to people who did the quest)

Kunark has a npc in Kunzar Jungle -- the npc doesnt take ghost form until you are deep in quest series

only players who did the quest series see the npc as a ghost - the ghost is permanent after you do the quest

similar phasing concepts are EQ2 quest items that are invisible unless you are on the quest

I give WOW credit for DungeonFinder but it's not a feature I appreciate

Yes, games had different colors for gear. WOW made that particular color set a genre standard.

Wasn't the EQ wardrobe introduced in 2008? EQ2's was introduced in Live Update 38 (2007?)

Not sure what the expansion line is referring to.

If we're going to call visibility of a single NPC, which is a valid enough way to consider something phasing, then I agree UO, EQ2 and others had it before WOW. I had not considered that as phasing before.

I see your point, though, that it was mostly innovation of existing over actually creating something new.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

my memory is hazy on "wardrobe preview"

I  know EQ2 was one of (if not the first) mmo to add appearance gear in Sept 2007 but I thought EQ2 already had previews for adventure gear

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/LU38

i mentioned 8 expansions because EQ added many features that were not around on EQ launch

example:

i've seen some gamers give WOW credit for instanced dungeons and Token Gear vendors

-- EQ1 had both in LDON 

In addition to bringing phasing to MMOs, their earlier innovations which became standards included vendor comparison panels, green/blue/purple gear color, overhead quest markers, and right-click 'wardrobe' feature. There are so many little things that are a regular part of our game experience that we'd need someone that hasn't played an MMO since to 2003 to actually get a decent list of the dozens of little things it introduced or made a standard in MMOs.

orginal Everquest had different colored gear tiers  back in 1999 (grey being trash)

you cannot see this npc ghost unless you do the quest - after the quest, the ghost is always visible (but only to people who did the quest)

Kunark has a npc in Kunzar Jungle -- the npc doesnt take ghost form until you are deep in quest series

only players who did the quest series see the npc as a ghost - the ghost is permanent after you do the quest

similar phasing concepts are EQ2 quest items that are invisible unless you are on the quest

Yes, games had different colors for gear. WOW made that particular color set a genre standard.

Wasn't the EQ wardrobe introduced in 2008? EQ2's was introduced in Live Update 38 (2007?)

Not sure what the expansion line is referring to.

If we're going to call visibility of a single NPC, which is a valid enough way to consider something phasing, then I agree UO, EQ2 and others had it before WOW. I had not considered that as phasing before.

I see your point, though, that it was mostly innovation of existing over actually creating something new.

Those colors were already the genre standard, that's why WoW used them.

And yes, LotRO had full zone phasing before WoW.

and Wardrobe features existed in several games before WoW, from EQ2 to City of Heroes.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Blizzard in the 90's were a great developer. An overlooked gem by them called Blackthorne. Worth checking out if you liked Another World and Flashback.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by GuyClinch

SOE? Seriously? Whats' the deal with 'taking chances'..how bout actually making a good game? If we are grading publishers by the amount of hype they generate out of a legacy of garbage then they are number 1.

Clearly Blizzard and Arenanet are the two best publishers because they deliver high quality games MMOs to the public. Arenanet deserves props for delivering a better then subscription quality game and buy to play prices. And Blizzard because clearly their game has pleased millions.

Go play some "SOE" games and tell me how great they are.. Computer science has limits - all that 'sounds great' stuff from SOE is just a bunch of promises they will fail to deliver on - as usual.

LMAO, I was like WTF!!! SOE.... I cannot partake in this topic.  I can't take anyone serious who thinks SOE is a good developer.  There stuff has always been crap and I don't need to justify it, just play the games they speak for themselves.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by immodium
    Blizzard in the 90's were a great developer. An overlooked gem by them called Blackthorne. Worth checking out if you liked Another World and Flashback.

i agree - in the 90s i would buy any unknown game by Blizzard, they were my favorite game dev

I  no longer feel this way but I used to PreWarcraft 3  (2002)

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196

Not sure I know who is best but I know who is worst, EA.

I like CCP, Blizzard, and Trion.  I might be tempted to try SOE again if they come out with something that isn't a money grab.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Ender4

SOE is right up there for me as well because they break the mold. They aren't just building a bunch of clones of what is already out there like everyone else seems to.

I like SOE too because you can expect something different from their games usually when it comes to MMO. I had a huge break in PS2 but I'm back in it again currently, sure it's just a massive FPS but you cant find anything like it out there currently.

The game just received a huge performace patch and even the huge fights runs smooth for me now, incredible considering the amount of people and landmass around you. I have really high hopes for EQN just because I really doubt it will be "been there done that" when I start digging through the ground.

Have to give it to Blizzard too. I agree that they take no risks when it comes to game mechanics and only seem to care about how to make their game easier to get into and easier to understand. I'd rather see them make some bold gameplay additions or changes. In any case, they have the revenue numbers that you cant argue against.

CCP Games gets noted also by me for their highly different style game EVE. I like that there's diversity even if I dont play their game, and I like that they are succesful so other devs can see that you dont have to go with the mainstream. I only hope that they come up with something new! And also make DUST for PC so I can go work for my buddies who play the space game!

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

EQ2 also had an early example of a dynamic event

Distressed merchants would randomly appear in zones.  You would have to clear enemies around him and he became a gratified merchant you could do business with.

But WoW has done a ton of innovation.  remember, innovation =/= invention.  Its about 50/50 with good innovation/bad innovation though.

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291
    Originally posted by Lienhart
    Originally posted by DeathWolf2u

I know for a fact the servers had weak security and WERE hacked. You are either a Blizzard employee or just a fanatic which I make the claim based off your assuming claim that it is a total mystery on my password accusation.

You either have no clue on server architecture or are just a simpleton. If that is the best reason you can come up with then you think with a very small mind.

- Do you know what SQL injection attacks are??? Yeah didn't think so

- Do you know anything of any database security or how database programs even work and are structured and I'm not talking about MS Excel, duhhhh??? Didn't think so

- Do you even have an inkling on database security??? Yeah not in the least

- Do you know what exploiting unused database services is??? No????

- Do you know what application-layer attacks are???? Yeah you don't know that either

Why do I say you have no idea because your best argument you can come up with was the basic password issue.

You sir...need to STFU...and sit your dumba$$ down and only speak when asked to.

Look up clara.io, I was one of the developers on it. Also, I don't recall ever being able to sql inject or xss attack any of Blizzard's sites.

Also, if you actually did any studying about "hacking" or academic research on it, you would see that social engineering is the weakest security link and that "hacking" is not the way it is portrayed in Hollywood movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Try to do less of that and more actual arguments.

Are you saying you tried to do those attacks on Blizzard? Hollywood has never put anything in the movies that even comes close to the type of attacks I listed so not sure where you were going with that, lost me.

Your clara.io or Claranet application is for server hosting for businesses mainly. I only listed some of the forms of commonly and currently used attacks which are very much real. Not sure how you could even debate that at all. However I was a SQl Server developer, RPG & CL developer among some and the threat of database attacks and other forms of attacks is a very real and still current threat. The attacks on Blizzard's servers were not wanna-be hackers, they were pro-hackers and were not using social media types of hacking. There are many more forms of launching attacks that are not in your quote 'academic research' notes that exist. So don't come out here and stating that you know exactly what the current trend of hacking is just because you were a dev on clara.io, thank you very much. You would never be a sufficient security admin. with that type of thinking.

All that aside my whole point is I know Blizzard's servers were attacked and accounts hacked into. My account was one of them and believe me I had a very strong password and my computer was and is clean of any malicious software, viruses or any other kind of threat. In other words I was not the weakest link as to how it happened like other people.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Bioware

Even though i5 was the commercial standard when SWTOR came out you could still run it on a Pentium 4 and it looks just as good as many of the crazy spec games look.

When I first started playing EVE Online I had 512 Ram. When I first picked up SWG I had 128 Ram. Now I have 4 GB and no, the games don't look that much better. Meaning development just got sloppy and rely on whatever direct X hand them.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Bungie, there will be no mmo that has more polish than Destiny. Quote me on that.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

SOE by far.

They made SWG / EQ / EQ2

Best games I've played and virtually the one two I talk about.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    None of them is outstandingly good imo but most are just plain wankers. Some are OK but they too tend to screw their customers sooner or later with unnecessary changes or revamps or greedy cash shop or whatever. 
    Originally posted by Maquiame
    Bungie, there will be no mmo that has more polish than Destiny. Quote me on that.

Well, considering Destiny isn't an MMO...

• rimaxo14rimaxo14 Member Posts: 118
    ArenaNet gets my vote! 

EVGA FTW-3 MOBO X58
    EVGA GTX 580
    G.SKILL RIPJAW 12GB
    INTEL I7 950
    CORSAIR H70 CPU COOLER
    CORSAIR 1200W 80+GOLD

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    SP games, Bethesda. For MMOs... dispite some failings SOE has the best track record. Looks like they will be the first to make 2 AAA sandbox MMOs in a row.
  • LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95

1. CCP because they don't go astray from their initial design just to grab more "cash" (EVE Online).

Also, due to their more in-depth gaming philosophies.

2. NC Soft; for releasing high-quality games and rarely deliver a horrible game (unlike SOE which is a shit factory; they poop a crappy game every couple of months). Though I dislike NC Soft habit of "abandoning" their games like CoH, Aion and others.

3. Blizzard; they deliver polished games, very playable and stream lined (which is their weakness also). Their problem is lack of creativity and too much streamlining.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Funcom hands down

what they made of Age of Conan and Secret World with relatively small indie budgets is simply amazing, love their work

also SOE for SWG and EQN