Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Review

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
  • maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi
    Originally posted by maxima29

First off, I wanted to level to max and give my opinion on the new f2p model, but it justwasnt going to happen.

Imagine a free to play game that limits the player so much , that it is like Darth Vaders choke hold . This is what SWTOR is for the f2p player. They have limited almost every part of the game , right down to the emote system. It is absolutely one of the worst Free to play game and marketplacesI;ve ever seen,

What pushed me over the edge to uninstall, "weeklly limit on warfronts reached" . I was blown away that something that had pontential to drive in pvp players has a"weekly" linit. not daily, but weekly.

Spacebar'd the quest cause it is time consumming

Graphics are medicore with no high resolution and still no client side AA.

Overall, it was just boring, with the warfront giving some relif to the boring quest lines.

For most people who pay a sub this will be a good game, but this is truly not a free to play game, but an unlimited trial.

It never made me feel like "hey I should invest into the cash shop"  because right out of the gate, they are asking for money on some of th emost basic mmo essentials like emots, titles, surnames, armor unlocks for the companion.

If you want to play this, sub to it.

As a "f2p" I rate this a "uninstall"

Emotes, titles, surnames are essentials in mmos?  

For those who role play, they are. I've already uninstalled the game so I can't go in and llist every little thing, but for me, emotes are essential for immersion and basic fun,

It is no fun when a little thing pops up and says give me money.

Then don't play f2p games they all do it.  

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    It is a terrible F2P system when you compare it to other Freemium models.  There really isn't any denying it.  I don't hate the game they way so many on this site do.  I had some really great, fun months in the game, playing through various storylines, and I liked a lot about it.  I'll still come back to it from time to time.  But when I do, I renew my sub.  I don't even mess around with the F2P options.  I just find them way too limiting to enjoy myself.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I totally agree with you, OP. A F2P SWTOR is unplayable if you actually want to enjoy all of it. They should adopt the Rift or Aion model.
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    I totally agree with you, OP. A F2P SWTOR is unplayable if you actually want to enjoy all of it. They should adopt the Rift or Aion model.

Why?, it works fine for BW and EA. If you want to enjoy the 100% of the game, pay a sub. Thats all about. The F2P model of SWTOR is pretty much a trial, you still can enjoy all the game as a F2P player, but you´ll need patient and time.  But people need understand this ¨SWTOR is not a F2P game¨. 

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    It should also be said that if you are returning from having subbed a long time ago, the restrictions are not so hard to deal with because you probably have some freebie points stored up that can be used to hide your headslot, etc.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DudehogDudehog Member Posts: 112

This is a bad game. I remember uninstalling about 3 hours into beta and being amazed that they claim to have spent over 100 million on development.

Bioware's decision to focus on story has to be one of the biggest blunders ever in gaming. Total and complete failure.  

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Their choice to focus on story is not what failed here, lets be completely honest. TSW focuses on story and is doing just fine. It is the fact SWTOR was a straight up WoW clone and a clunky one at that which caused it to fail.

Originally posted by Ender4

Their choice to focus on story is not what failed here, lets be completely honest. TSW focuses on story and is doing just fine. It is the fact SWTOR was a straight up WoW clone and a clunky one at that which caused it to fail.

Actually, people throw the word "fail" around too often.  Failure is a matter of perspective.  From the standpoint of popularity, it has done fine as an MMO.  So I'm not sure I'd label it as a failure.  It certainly didn't live up to expectations relative to the amount of money that was put into it.  

As for your reason for it being a "failure," I'd disagree.  First of all, the game is more popular than TSW.  More people bought it, more people subbed to it when they were both sub models, and more people play it.  So to label this one a failure and say TSW has "done fine" makes it seem as though you have an agenda.  Saying it failed because it was a "WoW clone" seems to be a fancy catch-all that people like to throw around for a game's shortcomings, but it goes a little deeper than that.  

As for the reasons it wasn't as successful as it should have been:  The #1 reason is the game engine.  The modified Hero Engine that they used really limited the kind of content that the game could have.  And it completely destroyed any meaningful open world PvP.  The second shortcoming of SWTOR, was, in fact, a reliance on the story.  They boxed themselves in with their storyline, and based the entire game around it.  Only problem with that is that it makes for very linear gameplay, and simply doesn't allow for a lot of free-form, open world gameplay that so many of us enjoy.  In the end, the reliance on the 4th pillar killed many of the MMO aspects of the gameplay, and turned it into an RPG with some multi-player features.  Good enough for 1-2 playthroughs, but with little to no staying power.  

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I have no idea what people do with this game after 1 or 2 play throughs.  Why should an MMO even have a "play through"?  I really enjoyed the first play through as the IA story was fantastic.  But I play MMO's to be part of a virtual world...not a no risk/reward linear quest hub handholding.

Originally posted by Mardukk

I have no idea what people do with this game after 1 or 2 play throughs.  Why should an MMO even have a "play through"?  I really enjoyed the first play through as the IA story was fantastic.  But I play MMO's to be part of a virtual world...not a no risk/reward linear quest hub handholding.

That's the whole problem with the game in a nutshell.   All the best elements are things you'd find in a solid single player RPG, not an MMORPG.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

TSW is currently more popular than SWTOR, /shrug.

• EolexEolex Member UncommonPosts: 20

Its posts like this that get me frustrated with the current gaming community. Iam a F2P player that currently plays SWTOR.  I have spent less than $20 and am able to do everythng in the game just fine. I am a casual, few hours a week player, but i am sble to do everything that sub player can do, i am just limited. If i choose to lift the limitations, i just spend some of my credits and the GTN and buy a couple weekly unlocks if i feel the nee fot a pvp, raid, flashpoint marathon. Over the course of earning credits and using the GTN, i have 8 character slots per server, maxed out inventory space on anyo toon, along with 3 cargo bays per toon. Long story short, between esrning cartel coins from achievements and keeping my eye on the GTN, the limitations for a F2P are minimal. My biggist gripe is the max deployable for crew missions and not being able to queue up more tan 1 item to craft at a time. People complaining about the model are just too damn lazy to want to earn anything in any game even if it is a FREE game.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

First off, I wanted to level to max and give my opinion on the new f2p model, but it justwasnt going to happen.

Imagine a free to play game that limits the player so much , that it is like Darth Vaders choke hold . This is what SWTOR is for the f2p player. They have limited almost every part of the game , right down to the emote system. It is absolutely one of the worst Free to play game and marketplacesI;ve ever seen,

What pushed me over the edge to uninstall, "weeklly limit on warfronts reached" . I was blown away that something that had pontential to drive in pvp players has a"weekly" linit. not daily, but weekly.

Graphics are medicore with no high resolution and still no client side AA.

Overall, it was just boring, with the warfront giving some relif to the boring quest lines.

For most people who pay a sub this will be a good game, but this is truly not a free to play game, but an unlimited trial.

It never made me feel like "hey I should invest into the cash shop"  because right out of the gate, they are asking for money on some of th emost basic mmo essentials like emots, titles, surnames, armor unlocks for the companion.

If you want to play this, sub to it.

As a "f2p" I rate this a "uninstall"

MMO essentials like emotes (correct spelling), titles, surnames, and by armor unlocks you mean different looking skins?

What you define as MMO essentials... are not MMO essentials.[mod edit] This game might not get that much attention with other games, and not that I think its a great MMO, its a good game overall, but in MMO terms its not good... but still, if people are looking for some info on the game they should read something that makes sense. [mod edit]

And I was a subbed player, so I defaulted to premium. And premium is not bad at all... except for the WZ restriction which they said they were going to remove.

Also your review does not look into the why a person would sub... its more of an opinion than a review.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• japormsjaporms Member Posts: 4

its posters like this who destroy any gaming community. its "entitled" players like this w/c kills any mmo.

there are thouands of f2p players who reaches endgame, unlock all restrictions ( via in game gold earned) and never paid a single dollar.  but of course the lazy op wants everything handed to him on a silver platter.

you want everything free and you want class A mmo with all bells and whistles. plus constant updates.

these complainers and haters will never stop.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I'm far for being even neutral towards TOR's f2p system ( :) ), so I can't say you're wrong, but not entirely correct either. If the current system is this much negative for you, you should've seen the one they launched f2p with... :) this present one is more or less bearable compared to that mess.

Not a good f2p, I'd never say that, but at least you can play through the class stories, if you don't mind the boring grind inbetween levels.

Oh, I see... actually that's the only good thing you get with f2p.
  • EncephalitisEncephalitis Member UncommonPosts: 78

I'll admit that this game all but punches you in the mouth and demands a credit card to actually "play", but the story lines in this game are/were really nice. I actually wished my comp wasn't such a sloppy mess when i played it, i may have liked the game more. As soon as you quit trying to pretend that you can be competitive, or even have a dream of being competitive as a freebie, sweaters stops being bad. Just play the game for the "one player" and call it good, its what i did and it worked out just fine.

Hell, you have 5 or 6 classes for each side AND a bunch of races you can unlock that sometimes changes some of the story. Just playing the game for the one player story will last you for weeks.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Well there is no profit from players  like you anyway
  • xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141
    glad i read this posting, i was going to download the game... but you have limit on the amount of warfronts you can do are u kidding... I suppose I could continue and play the other game with it but that is truly restricting... emotes wow thats taking it to far as well...
  • UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by xanthmetis
    glad i read this posting, i was going to download the game... but you have limit on the amount of warfronts you can do are u kidding... I suppose I could continue and play the other game with it but that is truly restricting... emotes wow thats taking it to far as well...

Yeah! How dare the developers place limits on commercial content they are allowing you to download and play on their servers for free?! Those greedy bastards!

And seriously, warzones kinda suck anyways. But I can't help but laugh at the entitlement in this thread. It's like people didn't realize that EA/Bioware wasn't just giving away the game and was going to try and pressure them into spending at least some money.

Granted, I think it is a mistake how they focus so much on restricted Free account features and ignore their Cartel Store content (seriously, there is VERY little stuff to buy in the cash shop) but acting like it is a "joke" or somehow unreasonable is just plain silly.

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

Yup a redefinition of the f2p concept!

Well, it just plain will not work for me, I also have no intention of downloading this game!

Sad fact is, that I may have found that it was enjoyable and possibly even decided to sub, but now that I have lost interest, no thank you!!!

If they want to insist on it being pay to play (which is fine), do not try to camouflage it as f2p!

Dishonesty will get you nowhere with me!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

As for the reasons it wasn't as successful as it should have been:  The #1 reason is the game engine.  The modified Hero Engine that they used really limited the kind of content that the game could have. 

This is a fallacy, simply because of : https://therepopulation.com/index.php/media1

We all played a Bioware game in our lives.... you can honestly say, if you played one bioware game, you played them all. Bioware has one formula, a one trick pony, they have no other design skills outside of that pony in my honest opinion. Every single bioware game from Kotor to Dragon Age to mass effect  use that same formula, and they tried to stick that same boring formula that we seen from them into a mmorpg.

Bioware #1 mistake, not understanding what an mmo is, and they cheated there way through it by linking a chain of of instances that really led to nowhere in my opinion, We flew to aplanet, and yet only went down this linear path ways to objectects with no real reason to explore or communicate with other players. That is ther #1 failure, not knowing the basics of an mmorpg, in my honest opinion.

To begin with, that link to the repopulation actually proves nothing, the game as yet does not exist, there is no evidence yet produced that even suggests they can deliver on their promises even in small part, so links to a game that in all probability isnt even in an alpha stage yet, is disingenuous.

Whether or not SW;TOR would have been more 'popular' if they were able to deliver on the open world PVP is debateable, im not sure personally that the PVP in the game is all that good anyway, but with a different/better game engine, one that could actually handle a decent amount of players in one area at the same time, would at least have given it a chance, which is something that the HERO engine is just not capable of, and there is no evidence from anywhere to suggest otherwise.image

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by zasten

Yup a redefinition of the f2p concept!

Well, it just plain will not work for me, I also have no intention of downloading this game!

Sad fact is, that I may have found that it was enjoyable and possibly even decided to sub, but now that I have lost interest, no thank you!!!

If they want to insist on it being pay to play (which is fine), do not try to camouflage it as f2p!

Dishonesty will get you nowhere with me!

Lol, you can play the main part of the game perfectly fine. You just are limited on how much of their crappy PvP and railed space missions you can play a week.