Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Trove: Trion's Next Big Thing

12346»

Comments

• wowclonezwowclonez Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley
    I actually prefer these character models to EQN's...

My kid has some Legos you can borrow.

• wowclonezwowclonez Member Posts: 74
    Thought it was April 1st already, need to get some sleep I guess. This is just horrible, rip off Minecraft and Cubeworld and brand it as your own. I don't care how unique or different the gameplay is, this is pathetic Trion, not to mention ugly. No worries,  as they will fire most of the staff in the first few months of release.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    I can't stand marketing talk, omg -_____- so fraking tired of marketing talk what makes it even more annoying is the background music that is played.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by SoMuchMass
    The game is a clone of a game made by a single developer.  Cube World's creator did tweet that he "was angry at first", but said his vision is something they can't steal.

https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/401959767121207296

If a Chinese company  pulled something like this off, most people would be upset.  When WarZ pulled this off they were looked upon as evil and that stigma has stayed with them to this day.

You can argue and discuss this all you want, but now Trion will be looked upon with a different light.  And Trove will always be known as the Cube World clone.

When I first heard the news, I felt it was extremely wrong for a big company like Trion to literally plant their flag on a one man dev team.  That is a terrible move and you will never live this down.

Game ideas moving from developer to developer and getting iterative changes is a constant in the gaming industry. It's one of the things that makes the gaming industry great. The only thing that anyone finds the least bit off about what it looks like Trion is doing is that the developer they are glomming off of is a small, indie developer.

Then again, there's no guarantee that CubeWorld will ever release, or that CubeWorld will do the stuff that people want it to.

Still, it's hard to be a little disappointed in Trion going from the underdog vs Blizzard to the popped collar rich kid glomming off of the poor kid's ideas.
    :-(

Trion is also including the community in the development of the game in a big way, so they are doing something a bit different. I'm signed up for the beta, but I'm not going to cheer Trion on just yet.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by DMKano

Krausnick and Cortland wrote Trove engine in their spare time before Cubeworld existed - they said they worked on Trove in their own spare time because they were both huge MC fans.

I see trove as 2 Rift devs staring a small project that is their passion inside of a large company - Cubeworld similarities are not something intended IMO. Also the scope of Trove is far beyond cubeworld with ability to jump worlds.

Vanguard players may remember Krausnick as Avarem - he is the guy who created Ancient Port Warehouse raid in Vanguard - which I loved :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/23/its-hip-to-be-cube-world/

Here is an article about Cubeworld thats nearly 2 years old.  There are even older out there.  Trove most definitely does *not* predate Cubeworld.

And the 'ability to jump worlds' really = zoning.  You could jump worlds in SWG, and those worlds held a shit ton more than 40-100 people.

@DMKano - that comment in green makes it fairly obvious that they knew about CubeWorld, and thought they could do better.

Again, this is something that the gaming industry thrives on. All of our games get better and better because of it. I don't believe there's an industry on this planet that can compare to the gaming industry in terms of progress.

It just sucks that CubeWorld may get overshadowed by Trion's thing. On the other hand, maybe CubeWorld will get lots and lots of press, making them tons of money.

It's also possible or even likely that Trion will do a better job than von Funck. That's better for consumers, but still isn't great for von Funck.

Originally posted by syriinx

Krausnick and Cortland wrote Trove engine in their spare time before Cubeworld existed - they said they worked on Trove in their own spare time because they were both huge MC fans.

I see trove as 2 Rift devs staring a small project that is their passion inside of a large company - Cubeworld similarities are not something intended IMO. Also the scope of Trove is far beyond cubeworld with ability to jump worlds.

Vanguard players may remember Krausnick as Avarem - he is the guy who created Ancient Port Warehouse raid in Vanguard - which I loved :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/23/its-hip-to-be-cube-world/

Here is an article about Cubeworld thats nearly 2 years old.  There are even older out there.  Trove most definitely does *not* predate Cubeworld.

And the 'ability to jump worlds' really = zoning.  You could jump worlds in SWG, and those worlds held a shit ton more than 40-100 people.

You could view it as zoning - but SWG wasn't a voxel game was it? What other voxel game has this feature?

Also in my history of all MMORPGs I played since Ultima Online in 1998, later EQ1 - 99% of all guild activities was done by less than 40 people in one zone.

Heck look at ANY MMO today, which one has content that requires *more than 40* people together?

Here's a post from Krausnick on reddit, as you see they never played Cubeworld - it wasn't out - I'll put relevant parts in green

We had been playing a ton of MineCraft, Terraria too, and Cube World wasn't yet released but the potential was clear. 

You think that Trion doesnt pay attention to what other games are in development?  They never said they hadnt heard of cubeworld, just that it wasnt released.  You can be inspired (or even copy from) an unreleased game

And as for your above green part...how boring would MMOs be if they were only populated by your guild?

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Was nice knowing you Trion. You've been digging your grave as quick as you can with unoriginal crap like this.

At least when they were going to tackle End of Nations it was a genre that was severely underrepresented and they could have made a splash. But naturally, that was the first project they canceled when the budget got tight. So they announced they may change that into a, wait for it...... MOBA with vehicles instead of fantasy characters. Now they announce another game in yet another flooded genre.

That company had potential once upon a time, but it won't be long until it isn't even around.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

This is a really great monster of a thread to look back at when talking about unquantified audiences for a particular type of game be it sandbox, old school or otherwise. Even when something has a list of features that people do want, a single feature (ex: I can only see 40 people at a time) can cause people to summarily reject the entire game.  One would think that these forums would have the most avid fans of a game like this, but we have people who pined for a Minecraft style MMO complaining it's just a Minecraft clone, and people who would otherwise like a game like this rejecting it because of the developer or because the developer is just following trends by making this (Conformist!) and other reasons that on-the-surface seem rather odd. 

Y'all are a really hard crowd to please, don't you think?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

This is a really great monster of a thread to look back at when talking about unquantified audiences for a particular type of game be it sandbox, old school or otherwise. Even when something has a list of features that people do want, a single feature (ex: I can only see 40 people at a time) can cause people to summarily reject the entire game.  One would think that these forums would have the most avid fans of a game like this, but we have people who pined for a Minecraft style MMO complaining it's just a Minecraft clone, and people who would otherwise like a game like this rejecting it because of the developer or because the developer is just following trends by making this (Conformist!) and other reasons that on-the-surface seem rather odd. 

Y'all are a really hard crowd to please, don't you think?

well, since this is mmorpg.com then yes, 40 person per world is a HUGE deal.  It means one of two things:  tiny worlds or you never see anyone.

Trion also gave atrocious pictures for the game.  A fat yellow ant thing with floating legs?  And this after weve seen what EQN can come up with its voxel engine graphically.  I get that this was done originally by rwo people, but Trion isnt an indie developer and this article isnt treating it like an indie game.

And i think many people want an MMO with Minecraft elements, i dont think there has been a huge clamor for Minecraft: the MMO.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Trion...

The masters of overhyped and boring games.

Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by Loktofeit This is a really great monster of a thread to look back at when talking about unquantified audiences for a particular type of game be it sandbox, old school or otherwise. Even when something has a list of features that people do want, a single feature (ex: I can only see 40 people at a time) can cause people to summarily reject the entire game.  One would think that these forums would have the most avid fans of a game like this, but we have people who pined for a Minecraft style MMO complaining it's just a Minecraft clone, and people who would otherwise like a game like this rejecting it because of the developer or because the developer is just following trends by making this (Conformist!) and other reasons that on-the-surface seem rather odd.  Y'all are a really hard crowd to please, don't you think?
    well, since this is mmorpg.com then yes, 40 person per world is a HUGE deal.  It means one of two things:  tiny worlds or you never see anyone.

Trion also gave atrocious pictures for the game.  A fat yellow ant thing with floating legs?  And this after weve seen what EQN can come up with its voxel engine graphically.  I get that this was done originally by rwo people, but Trion isnt an indie developer and this article isnt treating it like an indie game.

And i think many people want an MMO with Minecraft elements, i dont think there has been a huge clamor for Minecraft: the MMO.

The graphics are a matter of taste. They don't look like they do because the developers couldn't come up with anything else, they look like they do because they are reminiscent of 8 bit games and because it fits with the idea of "voxels".

You might be surprised at the number of people who want to play Minecraft the MMO. The problem is all the people. Too many people without restrictions and the worlds turn into cancerous eye sores. Too many restrictions and it's not a 'sandbox' any longer. Trion is getting around the problems by limiting the number of people per world, and recycling the worlds. Players have persistence through their AnchorPoints. Sony is doing it by having 'safe' areas and having the world heal itself so that changes are not permanent. Large Minecraft servers do it by limiting where people can destroy things and by resetting the server's maps periodically. *shrug* 40 people per world is one way to go with it. It's more than enough people for an MMO per world, especially since the worlds themselves are going to be recycled. It's not an MMORPG after all.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

I thought Cube World was not destructable and modable?  Why do people keep saying that it has these things and is like minecraft?  It is nothing like minecraft.

When did Cube World get this creative power?  I can't find anything about it on their website.  People keep saying that Trion is ripping this off, but Cube World doesn't have this, it only has procedurally generated landscapes (and potentially quests).