Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Preview] Trove: Trion's Next Big Thing

Comments

• onemegonemeg Knoxville, TNPosts: 23Member Uncommon
    Way to steal ideas from Sony!  Not that I expected anything original or good from Trion, lol.
  • artfulpainartfulpain Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 7Member
    Looks exactly like Cubeworld with thicker outlines.
  • SpellforgedSpellforged Belvidere, ILPosts: 458Member

This looks very interesting.  I'm not satisfied with Minecraft or Cube World and think there's still room for something better.  Minecraft has good building/multiplayer but leaves a lot to be desired with every other aspect of the game.  Cube World has everything that Minecraft lacked but nothing that made it great.  I want to see a game that can combine the best of both worlds for a truly enjoyable experience.

Here's to hoping Trove will be that game.

• Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Scot

Does anyone see a pattern here?

Wow is a big success, lets make lots of clones.

Minecraft is a big success, lets make lots of clones.

Now I don't mind the founding of a new genre, maybe minecraft will create one. But to be a new genre you need to innovate with each new game, to evolve the template. Not just pump out the same game with a new title. But it is only after launch we will be able to say what this is, clone or the next step.

You know, I woudln't have an issue with that logic if the improved upon the ideas. But they don't, they're simply riding the half-assed train until it reaches the end of the station then they simply jump off onto the next.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHPosts: 2,926Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by theglenn3
    Originally posted by Siphaed
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Wow this looks exactly like Cubeworld https://picroma.com/cubeworld

Except, from my understanding you can't build/destroy in CubeWorld.  That game is just explore in a random generated voxel world; where as Trove is explore, destroy, build, and so on.  Seems Trove is more like Minecraft, only better supported than what current Minecraft is...

you can build and destroy in cubeworld

Cube World looks great.  but there wasn't enough minecraft in it.  There really wasn't mining, building and destroying structures.  It was mainly a voxel world RPG.

• aspekxaspekx Brandon, FLPosts: 2,167Member
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by theglenn3
    Originally posted by Siphaed
    Wow this looks exactly like Cubeworld https://picroma.com/cubeworld

Except, from my understanding you can't build/destroy in CubeWorld.  That game is just explore in a random generated voxel world; where as Trove is explore, destroy, build, and so on.  Seems Trove is more like Minecraft, only better supported than what current Minecraft is...

you can build and destroy in cubeworld

Cube World looks great.  but there wasn't enough minecraft in it.  There really wasn't mining, building and destroying structures.  It was mainly a voxel world RPG.

ouch. i didn't realize that and almost bought it. glad i didn't now.

thanks for the info, the ignorant, such as myself, need help sometimes.  ;)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,499Member Uncommon

Now I don't mind the founding of a new genre, maybe minecraft will create one. But to be a new genre you need to innovate with each new game, to evolve the template. Not just pump out the same game with a new title. But it is only after launch we will be able to say what this is, clone or the next step.

You know, I woudln't have an issue with that logic if the improved upon the ideas. But they don't, they're simply riding the half-assed train until it reaches the end of the station then they simply jump off onto the next.

Trove is in *early alpha* - they just named the game last week!

How can you say they didn't improve it *as the game is not fully conceptualized* yet.

We don't know what the final product will be as they are not even close to it - and the community will decide how to develop the game.

So other than voxel cube graphics and naming 3 design pillars (adventure, exploration, creation) nobody knows what the actual ideas and gameplay will be like yet - not even Trion.

Again, this early in the process how can you say anything about their ideas when we know nothing about them?

Your judgment is based purely on graphics?

Also if they were just riding this half assed train:

- Why are they getting players involved in early alpha without any NDA?

- Why are all 11 devs committed to open communication and implementing players ideas into the game via reddit forums?

- Why are 2 devs who wrote the Trove engine from scratch in their spare time the ones directly talking to the public?

It sure sounds to me like a small passionate team project and not some quick cash grab.

www.reddit.com/r/trove

You can ask question or give direct feedback/criticisms - the entire Trove dev team is reaponding there.

• syriinxsyriinx New York, NYPosts: 1,059Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by RainyDayBG
    Er, im sorry but i don't trust Trion after they fucked up End of Nations. !

You do realize that not a single Trove dev did a single line of code on End of Nations?

It was an entirely different team, under different management.

Trove devs are all Rift devs, Andrew Krausnick did a lot of raid content in Vanguard prior to Trion.

Shows what they think about Rift's future if they are pulling devs off of it for this.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148 1, NJPosts: 6,690Member
    Trion has yet to release a good game in my opinion. This just seems like yet another minecraft spin off.
  • DestaiDestai Detroit, MIPosts: 574Member
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
    Originally posted by Destai
    Jesus Christ, Trion. Is it that hard to have an original idea?

Know what, why don't YOU try having one first. Go on smart guy, since you've obviously got a bajillion or two completely original game ideas bouncing around in your cerebrum, toss one at us.

Furthermore you're getting hung up on the similarities to other games and paying no attention to the differences (as are all the other complainers). 

I don't care too much about this game in particular, but calling this a (insert voxel game here) clone is about as accurate as calling Planet Explorers a clone of Portal because they both have turret emplacements.

What's next? Are you people going to start calling Dark Souls a Fable clone because they're both third-person RPGs? How about we turn back the clock and call Crusader: No Remorse an Ultima clone because they both have an isometric perspective? Same company, same engine even, so the games have to be the same, right?

Sigh...

Oh, and since we're playing 'name that clone', it would be remiss of me to forget to point out that Minecraft itself took inspiration from another game, Infiniminer...

Get real. Seriously. This company failed not once but TWICE. Now they're coming out with a third game that's a blatant ripoff of another game. When you've taken the very unique mechanic, you're ripping a game off. It's one thing to be in the same genre, but this is entirely different. 

Maybe people would stop complaining when games became less of cash grabs, especially in this genre. I'll start paying attention to the differences when they outweigh the similarities. I'll start paying attention to them when companies like Trion and all the other free to play shams are gone. 

Furthermore, I don't have to have an original idea, I'm the consumer. And I'm tired of seeing the same shit regurgitated time and time again. And I'm tired of clowns like you defending it and keep the genre stale. Go on and buy this game support it. Then when you're bored in 3 months you'll find the next clone to buy. People like you are the problem. 

• Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon

Trove is in *early alpha* - they just named the game last week!

How can you say they didn't improve it *as the game is not fully conceptualized* yet.

We don't know what the final product will be as they are not even close to it - and the community will decide how to develop the game.

So other than voxel cube graphics and naming 3 design pillars (adventure, exploration, creation) nobody knows what the actual ideas and gameplay will be like yet - not even Trion.

Again, this early in the process how can you say anything about their ideas when we know nothing about them?

Your judgment is based purely on graphics?

Also if they were just riding this half assed train:

- Why are they getting players involved in early alpha without any NDA?

- Why are all 11 devs committed to open communication and implementing players ideas into the game via reddit forums?

- Why are 2 devs who wrote the Trove engine from scratch in their spare time the ones directly talking to the public?

It sure sounds to me like a small passionate team project and not some quick cash grab.

www.reddit.com/r/trove

You can ask question or give direct feedback/criticisms - the entire Trove dev team is reaponding there.

I'm not directing my comment at Trove. It was a generalized statement that is well known already when we look at the past few years worth of games. Sorry for making you assume I was ignorant before actually giving this game a chance.

But if we do want to base it off of some sort of track record. I believe the route in which they took with Rift and Defiance are good enough reasons to believe that Trion hasn't managed their projects well enough. The best part about a game like Trove is that it might have a large amount of mod support so people outside of the development team can actually give this game a fighting chance.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • SoMuchMassSoMuchMass New York, NYPosts: 548Member

The game is a clone of a game made by a single developer.  Cube World's creator did tweet that he "was angry at first", but said his vision is something they can't steal.

https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/401959767121207296

If a Chinese company  pulled something like this off, most people would be upset.  When WarZ pulled this off they were looked upon as evil and that stigma has stayed with them to this day.

You can argue and discuss this all you want, but now Trion will be looked upon with a different light.  And Trove will always be known as the Cube World clone.

When I first heard the news, I felt it was extremely wrong for a big company like Trion to literally plant their flag on a one man dev team.  That is a terrible move and you will never live this down.

• wowclonezwowclonez Scripps Ranch, CAPosts: 74Member
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley
    I actually prefer these character models to EQN's...

My kid has some Legos you can borrow.

• wowclonezwowclonez Scripps Ranch, CAPosts: 74Member
    Thought it was April 1st already, need to get some sleep I guess. This is just horrible, rip off Minecraft and Cubeworld and brand it as your own. I don't care how unique or different the gameplay is, this is pathetic Trion, not to mention ugly. No worries,  as they will fire most of the staff in the first few months of release.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 none, FLPosts: 297Member Uncommon
    I can't stand marketing talk, omg -_____- so fraking tired of marketing talk what makes it even more annoying is the background music that is played.

Originally posted by wowclonez
    Thought it was April 1st already, need to get some sleep I guess. This is just horrible, rip off Minecraft and Cubeworld and brand it as your own. I don't care how unique or different the gameplay is, this is pathetic Trion, not to mention ugly. No worries,  as they will fire most of the staff in the first few months of release.

Again this is where you are mistaken.

Trove is an experiment in new type of community led development as players will be in early alpha in a couple of weeks.

If the majority of the playerbase says "kill this, its beyond saving" - they'll can it and move on, as its only 11 devs who are all internal Rift devs who go back to Rift development.

So it won't be any kind of a major financial loss - which is why they are letting people so early on, nor did they hire massive staff (like they did for Defiance) 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

Originally posted by SoMuchMass
    The game is a clone of a game made by a single developer.  Cube World's creator did tweet that he "was angry at first", but said his vision is something they can't steal.

If a Chinese company  pulled something like this off, most people would be upset.  When WarZ pulled this off they were looked upon as evil and that stigma has stayed with them to this day.

You can argue and discuss this all you want, but now Trion will be looked upon with a different light.  And Trove will always be known as the Cube World clone.

When I first heard the news, I felt it was extremely wrong for a big company like Trion to literally plant their flag on a one man dev team.  That is a terrible move and you will never live this down.

Game ideas moving from developer to developer and getting iterative changes is a constant in the gaming industry. It's one of the things that makes the gaming industry great. The only thing that anyone finds the least bit off about what it looks like Trion is doing is that the developer they are glomming off of is a small, indie developer.

Then again, there's no guarantee that CubeWorld will ever release, or that CubeWorld will do the stuff that people want it to.

Still, it's hard to be a little disappointed in Trion going from the underdog vs Blizzard to the popped collar rich kid glomming off of the poor kid's ideas.
    :-(

Trion is also including the community in the development of the game in a big way, so they are doing something a bit different. I'm signed up for the beta, but I'm not going to cheer Trion on just yet.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by SoMuchMass

Game ideas moving from developer to developer and getting iterative changes is a constant in the gaming industry. It's one of the things that makes the gaming industry great. The only thing that anyone finds the least bit off about what it looks like Trion is doing is that the developer they are glomming off of is a small, indie developer.

Then again, there's no guarantee that CubeWorld will ever release, or that CubeWorld will do the stuff that people want it to.

Still, it's hard to be a little disappointed in Trion going from the underdog vs Blizzard to the popped collar rich kid glomming off of the poor kid's ideas.
    :-(

Trion is also including the community in the development of the game in a big way, so they are doing something a bit different. I'm signed up for the beta, but I'm not going to cheer Trion on just yet.

Krausnick and Cortland wrote Trove engine in their spare time before Cubeworld existed - they said they worked on Trove in their own spare time because they were both huge MC fans.

I see trove as 2 Rift devs staring a small project that is their passion inside of a large company - Cubeworld similarities are not something intended IMO. Also the scope of Trove is far beyond cubeworld with ability to jump worlds.

Vanguard players may remember Krausnick as Avarem - he is the guy who created Ancient Port Warehouse raid in Vanguard - which I loved :)

Krausnick and Cortland wrote Trove engine in their spare time before Cubeworld existed - they said they worked on Trove in their own spare time because they were both huge MC fans.

I see trove as 2 Rift devs staring a small project that is their passion inside of a large company - Cubeworld similarities are not something intended IMO. Also the scope of Trove is far beyond cubeworld with ability to jump worlds.

Vanguard players may remember Krausnick as Avarem - he is the guy who created Ancient Port Warehouse raid in Vanguard - which I loved :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/23/its-hip-to-be-cube-world/

Here is an article about Cubeworld thats nearly 2 years old.  There are even older out there.  Trove most definitely does *not* predate Cubeworld.

And the 'ability to jump worlds' really = zoning.  You could jump worlds in SWG, and those worlds held a shit ton more than 40-100 people.

Originally posted by syriinx

Here is an article about Cubeworld thats nearly 2 years old.  There are even older out there.  Trove most definitely does *not* predate Cubeworld.

And the 'ability to jump worlds' really = zoning.  You could jump worlds in SWG, and those worlds held a shit ton more than 40-100 people.

You could view it as zoning - but SWG wasn't a voxel game was it? What other voxel game has this feature?

Also in my history of all MMORPGs I played since Ultima Online in 1998, later EQ1 - 99% of all guild activities was done by less than 40 people in one zone.

Heck look at ANY MMO today, which one has content that requires *more than 40* people together?

Here's a post from Krausnick on reddit, as you see they never played Cubeworld - it wasn't out - I'll put relevant parts in green

http://www.reddit.com/r/Trove/comments/1qojcx/who_are_we_why_are_we_making_this_game_and_why/

Hey!

My name is Andrew Krausnick, I'm Creative Lead on Trove, and I think it's time we started talking about this game of ours.

If you've reached this page you've probably already been introduced to Trove in some form or fashion (and if you haven't been, do check out our website - it has a great quick rundown of what we're all about).

And now that you've heard about Trove, I'm going to assume that since you've stuck around you want to know more. Who are we? Why are we making this game? And why should you be along for the ride? If you've asked those questions - this is for you.

Who are we?

We are a small team at a big company. This project kicked off with just two dudes with a room and an idea (myself and Courtland - you'll see us in the video on the site) and has grown this year to be a team of 11. And although we've grown, we are still just as scrappy, and we're all super excited to start sharing what we've been working on. I'm going to leave the detailed introductions to later, but you'll be seeing all of us around quite a lot, because this isn't just a new type of game for us at Trion, this is a new way to make a game.

Why make this game?

I anticipate this is a question we're going to get asked a lot, and fortunately for us the answer is a simple one. We hit a point after working on Rift for years where we were asking ourselves what it would look like to make a game in one year instead of four. We didn't want to leave behind the things we like about online RPGs (playing with friends, logging in from anywhere, classes, exploration, loot, dungeons!) but we also didn't want to spend another 3-4 years building something that felt like the same game we had just finished. We had been playing a ton of MineCraft, Terraria too, and Cube World wasn't yet released but the potential was clear. The whole voxel builder space was looking like not just a one-off but a genre that had legs, and one that we were really enjoying. Long story short, we thought (and think!) that there are some seriously untapped spaces in the voxel builder/adventure/explore arena and we want to play, and make, the game that brings those elements together. Consider just a few of those ideas: practically unlimited dungeon variations, MMO style worlds with the mutability of a voxel world, and being able to log in week after week to new content hidden in fresh worlds. Add to that the thing that we knew we had the background and tech to do (connected online play with persistence and progression) and we have a game that we think will stand out and is worth making.

Why you should be along for the ride

If you haven't heard yet, this game is in early development. We have some silly bugs, we don't have some basic features, but we do think we have enough to start getting people like you involved. The game is already fun to play, and we're just going to keep adding more all the time. We see this as an opportunity to make the right decisions early, connect with our community, and even start to involve you guys in being a part of the development of the game (more on that to come later). We think that not only is it going to make a better game, but it's also just going to be a more fun way to make a game. We've been given the green light and encouraged to expose anything about the game we want to. We'll be showing new pieces of the game constantly through our twitter accounts, reddit (I'm a new to posting here, so you'll note this one will be my first one), and interacting in-game and through live streams and the like. You'll also note that we won't have an NDA from the start, so as new players start playing they'll be able to talk about it too.

In Conclusion

This box is small and I'm certain I've said more than enough, so feel free to leave any questions in the comments and we'll answer them as best we can. We have a lot more to talk about, and a lot of work to do, and I can't wait to get started.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

@DMKano - that comment in green makes it fairly obvious that they knew about CubeWorld, and thought they could do better.

Again, this is something that the gaming industry thrives on. All of our games get better and better because of it. I don't believe there's an industry on this planet that can compare to the gaming industry in terms of progress.

It just sucks that CubeWorld may get overshadowed by Trion's thing. On the other hand, maybe CubeWorld will get lots and lots of press, making them tons of money.

It's also possible or even likely that Trion will do a better job than von Funck. That's better for consumers, but still isn't great for von Funck.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

You could view it as zoning - but SWG wasn't a voxel game was it? What other voxel game has this feature?

Also in my history of all MMORPGs I played since Ultima Online in 1998, later EQ1 - 99% of all guild activities was done by less than 40 people in one zone.

Heck look at ANY MMO today, which one has content that requires *more than 40* people together?

Here's a post from Krausnick on reddit, as you see they never played Cubeworld - it wasn't out - I'll put relevant parts in green

We had been playing a ton of MineCraft, Terraria too, and Cube World wasn't yet released but the potential was clear. 

You think that Trion doesnt pay attention to what other games are in development?  They never said they hadnt heard of cubeworld, just that it wasnt released.  You can be inspired (or even copy from) an unreleased game

And as for your above green part...how boring would MMOs be if they were only populated by your guild?

Originally posted by lizardbones

@DMKano - that comment in green makes it fairly obvious that they knew about CubeWorld, and thought they could do better.

Again, this is something that the gaming industry thrives on. All of our games get better and better because of it. I don't believe there's an industry on this planet that can compare to the gaming industry in terms of progress.

It just sucks that CubeWorld may get overshadowed by Trion's thing. On the other hand, maybe CubeWorld will get lots and lots of press, making them tons of money.

It's also possible or even likely that Trion will do a better job than von Funck. That's better for consumers, but still isn't great for von Funck.

This is true - current Trove devs are all seasoned MMORPG developers who even prior to Trion's Rift have worked on major MMOs (Vanugard for example), I don't know what Von Funck's dev history is but it will be pretty hard for them to compete with 11 Trove devs. And then consider that Trion already has a mature platform (for account and billing services) and their own infrastructure and operations/datacenter teams.

That is very hard to compete with when you are only a team of 2 without all these other teams.

But here's the thing - whose to say that another dev company throws out 80 seasoned MMO devs to outdo Trove and all the rest?

Like you said that's the reality of gaming industry (and entertainment industry in general)

I think the reason why other big companies won't bite is that they don't see this as a huge $$$ - and I don't think that Trion sees this as something that will bring them $100million like Rift - which is why they have an 11 person team doing the whole game.

I think it's nice one on hand to see a small scrappy team as a part of a big company do something they are passionate about, and at the same time if I were a 2 person team that had a game in the same genere/space competing with their platform/datacenter/and all other established teams - yes I can see how it would suck for me.

We had been playing a ton of MineCraft, Terraria too, and Cube World wasn't yet released but the potential was clear. 

You think that Trion doesnt pay attention to what other games are in development?  They never said they hadnt heard of cubeworld, just that it wasnt released.  You can be inspired (or even copy from) an unreleased game

And as for your above green part...how boring would MMOs be if they were only populated by your guild?

Point taken on both accounts ( Cubeworld inspiration and guild only content).

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Thereiam, ARPosts: 2,697Member

Was nice knowing you Trion. You've been digging your grave as quick as you can with unoriginal crap like this.

At least when they were going to tackle End of Nations it was a genre that was severely underrepresented and they could have made a splash. But naturally, that was the first project they canceled when the budget got tight. So they announced they may change that into a, wait for it...... MOBA with vehicles instead of fantasy characters. Now they announce another game in yet another flooded genre.

That company had potential once upon a time, but it won't be long until it isn't even around.