Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Trove: Trion's Next Big Thing

Comments

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
     My only worry for this tittle is that there has to be a finite amount of "Scenario's" for each world. How many and how often they can add more will be a hard point on how successful this game will be. Are they going to allow players to design their own, how many times can we fight " The Dragon" to secure the game world before it feels like a rerun in a different mountain this time? They are marketing it as Minecraft ... but an RPG, one that changes every time you play it; stapling on scenario goals to that seems that the vaunted " changes every time" will quickly faulter into a  : I've already run this scenario, lets find a new one, ad nauseum.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Centhan

Well, it's good that devs are at least trying things that are different.  The problem is, these "cube" games seem to be the trend now, and all the devs are looking the same trying to look different.

I've always thought gameplay trumped graphics...until I saw Minecraft, and games like them now coming out.  I just can't stand to look at a game where it seems like my Commodore 64 from the 80's had better graphics.  I like the freedom and basic style of games like this, but do we have to now wait another 20 years to get the graphics up to par with at least the year 2000?

Landmark

Sure, you might not like the graphic style but it doesnt look like legos.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

Seems copying is what Trion does best, no imagination on their own, only direct copying of other peoples idea.

So much creation talent, so little imagination, what a shame...

• flclimaxflclimax Member UncommonPosts: 92
    and i got temp banned for saying that TRION can only copy ideas and that is why their least copypasta'd game(defiance) was by far their worst.

FYI: RIFT and its ilk are literally(sit down, re-read and accept it) 1000% more WoW clones(WotlK era) than WoW was a clone of EQ(it's almost so different in how features are implemented that calling it a clone at all is absurd.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    First a WoW clone, now a minecraft clone?  Seriously?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• RainyDayBGRainyDayBG Member Posts: 15
    Er, im sorry but i don't trust Trion after they fucked up End of Nations. !
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Well. I love it.

There is certain charm in the blocky worlds where only imagination is the limit.

I am a gamer by heart but for some reason I just can't connect with games like minecraft or even considering ever playing Trove.

Personaly I have immersed myself long enough in the more blocky looking games starting with Pong. Though could stand the samewhate blocky nature of a game like planet explorers

But at the same time I do look forward to EQN.

Overall I think Trove is more of a minecraft 2.0 where EQN is more of a Planet Explorers copie but with better graphics and more resources to be put into the game and obviously the Everquest theme on it. Because I really think Planet Explorers is a great game and wonder if EQN is able to come close to the amount of building freedom Planet Explorers offer.

I have to admit havn't played the game for a while so I am not sure how for it is on the multiplayer feature's

As for Trove I am sure there is a large player base for it. Again personaly I think this game might really be succesfull if it comes all platforms including phone's and tablets. The graphics/animations would be a no issue. It will be the controls/UI.

Also games like minecraft have a very dedicated player base where some take months to accomplish what they had set to do. A new game really has to offer something so much more will it draw that player to it's game. Of course there are those who mix up there games and find time to enjoy each of them.

• AtadisAtadis Member Posts: 56
    I'm seriously thinking that they are going to shoot themselves in the foot with this one, we have Minecraft and many other clones on the way or here already. Trion Worlds already has a good foot in the door with something new...Archeage, a game which they are slowly losing the window to get out and make it big for English speaking players. I'm still one of the few who have hope for Trion but this is a waste of time.... Sad to say it but if they keep this up they will be closing their doors soon.
  • VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Doies not look like a game I would ever like to play, but all respect for those who like games like this I wish you best luck and fun.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by A.Blackloch
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    A cube world and minecraft ripoff.  How innovative.

And I wrote "Trion milking on someone's idea" and get banned from forums. Mmorpg.com is really starting to feel like it's taking sides. It's not like I was being rude towards other forum user or in fact anyone. Just stating the obvious. It's just another game, trying to ride with Minecraft's success.

Yeah, moderation can be pretty subjective and banning seems a bit harsh, but then again I don't what else was going on.

Seriously look at what you two wrote a little more objectively. It's rather short-sighted and foolish and comes across as hipster posturing. I read that comment originally and thought, hmm, this guy doesn't get it but he obviously thinks he does. Those sorts of comments aren't really worth the time, but I'll give it a go this time.

I don't think these, or most any game designer, thinks they reinventing the wheel or breaking a fantastic innovation barrier, at least not any that are honest with themselves and others. If you read the Trove reddit posts, they freely state, "We're definitely in the same 'genre space' as MC and Terraria so if you truly dislike those games in their entirety this might not be the game for you." They're doing something similar with their own twist, which is what most game designers and really all artists do. If it ends up being bland and boring well, then they didn't quite do it this time.

I seem to remember a game called WoW doing something like that. Still waiting to see how that turns out for Blizzard.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

I'll be comparing this to landmark.

I'll be comparing business and payment models: so far triton has a lead compared to soe.

I want levelless play: so far soe has this one.

I want multiple classes: both have this.  

I want sub-classing.  Nothing known.

I want racial skills and passives.  Soe will not have these.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    As a developer, you know you've made it big when Trion decides to copy your ideas for a "new" game.  It's like a badge of honor.  
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Atadis
    I'm seriously thinking that they are going to shoot themselves in the foot with this one, we have Minecraft and many other clones on the way or here already. Trion Worlds already has a good foot in the door with something new...Archeage, a game which they are slowly losing the window to get out and make it big for English speaking players. I'm still one of the few who have hope for Trion but this is a waste of time.... Sad to say it but if they keep this up they will be closing their doors soon.

ArcheAge delay is not due to Trion, it is due to XL games redoing huge portions of the game before they let it be released by Trion in the west.

As far as Trove being a waste of time - the entire project was coded by 2 devs in their spare time, only recently did they add 9 more devs - so the Trove dev team is tiny.

Certainly none of the Trove Devs have anything to do with ArcheAge - that is all localization team work and platform/operations.

So again if the 11 Trove Devs just kept working on Rift and Trove never existed - ArcheAge would not have been any sooner to western release.

Devs teams are really just one guy that should be working on the things I want. 

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Anyone still working on MMORPGs these days? If so does this site still cover them?

There are plenty of MMOs that are coming out but MMORPG seems to never advertise or research anything about them. It seems like they don't care so long as they're not getting a little something something in return.

For example: I just found this game out last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVYmCp0utcA

It is obvious to some that mmorpg.com isn't committed to mmorpg's anymore. Time for them to do what the Sci Fi Channel did and just change their name and get it over with.

Nothing's worse than pretending to still love your "first love" while you are out at night with many others and have moved on.

In regards to thread topic... I have no interest in Minecraft style games even if Notch is a great Dev, and I think he is, just not my style of Gaming.  I have no interest in this new product from Trion. I don't see it as a MMO no matter what others might say or think. To me it's just legos.

• onemegonemeg Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Way to steal ideas from Sony!  Not that I expected anything original or good from Trion, lol.
  • artfulpainartfulpain Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Looks exactly like Cubeworld with thicker outlines.
  • SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

This looks very interesting.  I'm not satisfied with Minecraft or Cube World and think there's still room for something better.  Minecraft has good building/multiplayer but leaves a lot to be desired with every other aspect of the game.  Cube World has everything that Minecraft lacked but nothing that made it great.  I want to see a game that can combine the best of both worlds for a truly enjoyable experience.

Here's to hoping Trove will be that game.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by theglenn3
    Originally posted by Siphaed
    Wow this looks exactly like Cubeworld https://picroma.com/cubeworld

Except, from my understanding you can't build/destroy in CubeWorld.  That game is just explore in a random generated voxel world; where as Trove is explore, destroy, build, and so on.  Seems Trove is more like Minecraft, only better supported than what current Minecraft is...

you can build and destroy in cubeworld

Cube World looks great.  but there wasn't enough minecraft in it.  There really wasn't mining, building and destroying structures.  It was mainly a voxel world RPG.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by theglenn3
    Originally posted by Siphaed
    Wow this looks exactly like Cubeworld https://picroma.com/cubeworld

Except, from my understanding you can't build/destroy in CubeWorld.  That game is just explore in a random generated voxel world; where as Trove is explore, destroy, build, and so on.  Seems Trove is more like Minecraft, only better supported than what current Minecraft is...

you can build and destroy in cubeworld

Cube World looks great.  but there wasn't enough minecraft in it.  There really wasn't mining, building and destroying structures.  It was mainly a voxel world RPG.

ouch. i didn't realize that and almost bought it. glad i didn't now.

thanks for the info, the ignorant, such as myself, need help sometimes.  ;)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by RainyDayBG
    Er, im sorry but i don't trust Trion after they fucked up End of Nations. !

You do realize that not a single Trove dev did a single line of code on End of Nations?

It was an entirely different team, under different management.

Trove devs are all Rift devs, Andrew Krausnick did a lot of raid content in Vanguard prior to Trion.

Shows what they think about Rift's future if they are pulling devs off of it for this.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Trion has yet to release a good game in my opinion. This just seems like yet another minecraft spin off.
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
    Originally posted by Destai
    Jesus Christ, Trion. Is it that hard to have an original idea?

Know what, why don't YOU try having one first. Go on smart guy, since you've obviously got a bajillion or two completely original game ideas bouncing around in your cerebrum, toss one at us.

Furthermore you're getting hung up on the similarities to other games and paying no attention to the differences (as are all the other complainers). 

I don't care too much about this game in particular, but calling this a (insert voxel game here) clone is about as accurate as calling Planet Explorers a clone of Portal because they both have turret emplacements.

What's next? Are you people going to start calling Dark Souls a Fable clone because they're both third-person RPGs? How about we turn back the clock and call Crusader: No Remorse an Ultima clone because they both have an isometric perspective? Same company, same engine even, so the games have to be the same, right?

Sigh...

Oh, and since we're playing 'name that clone', it would be remiss of me to forget to point out that Minecraft itself took inspiration from another game, Infiniminer...

Get real. Seriously. This company failed not once but TWICE. Now they're coming out with a third game that's a blatant ripoff of another game. When you've taken the very unique mechanic, you're ripping a game off. It's one thing to be in the same genre, but this is entirely different. 

Maybe people would stop complaining when games became less of cash grabs, especially in this genre. I'll start paying attention to the differences when they outweigh the similarities. I'll start paying attention to them when companies like Trion and all the other free to play shams are gone. 

Furthermore, I don't have to have an original idea, I'm the consumer. And I'm tired of seeing the same shit regurgitated time and time again. And I'm tired of clowns like you defending it and keep the genre stale. Go on and buy this game support it. Then when you're bored in 3 months you'll find the next clone to buy. People like you are the problem. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

The game is a clone of a game made by a single developer.  Cube World's creator did tweet that he "was angry at first", but said his vision is something they can't steal.

https://twitter.com/wol_lay/status/401959767121207296

If a Chinese company  pulled something like this off, most people would be upset.  When WarZ pulled this off they were looked upon as evil and that stigma has stayed with them to this day.

You can argue and discuss this all you want, but now Trion will be looked upon with a different light.  And Trove will always be known as the Cube World clone.

When I first heard the news, I felt it was extremely wrong for a big company like Trion to literally plant their flag on a one man dev team.  That is a terrible move and you will never live this down.