Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lf tankfriendly mmo

Haj. So ive played mmos forever, but one thing ive not done much is the tanking part of games as Im not that good at getting negative shouts and aggression from people if I may fail at something. Im all for people giving advice and all but shouting and calling names gets to me.

Ive allways played healer, and done it well so not really gotten much negative feedbacks and crap from other players on that. So I rarely go out of my comfort zone of healing as I can just chill in the background and go unoticed :P But ive seen tanks get so much abuse its insane. 

Anyways, ye im looking for a game where i could go in and level up a tank, where things arent to difficult to learn. Id like to be raiding with it aswell. So having alot of dungeons and groupplay so I can learn would be great. And a good community, alltho I guess that might be alot to ask for, and Im from EU but i guess the majority of this site might be US ?!

Id like there to be alot of different armor looks for my char, like ive seen there is in TSW, and ive seen some cool looking armor in FFXIV. Maybe some minor pvp to play so I can have breaks from grinding or whatnot.

Atm im looking into:

SWTOR

Tera

Rift

FFXIV 

and maybe TSW.

Or do you have any other suggestions?

Or advice to a soon to be born tank ?

Thanks for your time :) 

Comments

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Everquest 2 has 6 tank classes to try. 4 plate tanks Guardian,Berserker,Paladin,Shadowknight and 2 leather  Monk and Bruiser.

There are loads of dungeons and raids to learn in,if you get a good guild there are people with alts that will level with you.Its pretty fast to level now but the good thing is you can self mentor and go and do content you missed.

Antonia Bayle is the server I am on and I am also from the EU and there are plenty of people online at all times :)

• Deathgod881Deathgod881 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Everquest 2 gets boring fast if you've played WoW you've played SWTOR/EQ

"Let destruction rain!" from Asbel Tales of Graces f

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

As someone who plays FF XIV I can say that it is a safe bet for tanks.   As is usually the case in games with a group finder, tanks are the ones in the most demand.   The game has a pretty good chunk of dungeons on the way to the level cap and I wouldn't call any of it especially demanding for a tank.  

In most themepark games, tanking tends to be the most difficult role requiring the most practice.   While this differs from fight to fight, I would say this is less true in FF XIV vs the usual themepark suspects.   In the majority of content, tanking is relatively easy if you pay attention.

If you're looking to run around as a tank and run lots of dungeons, FF XIV is a pretty good choice atm.

• AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69

Rift is a very solid game with probably the best free-to-play model in the market currently. With the "build your own character" sort of mechanic, there are many different ways you could build the tank you want to play.

As for costumes, Rift has a ton of them. You can even slot any gear you find into your costume slots to use the look of the outfit, and you can dye it tons of different colors.

I've never been a fan of PvP in MMOs, but Rifts was different, as when it first came out, there were a couple of times I didn't want to go out questing, I just wanted to play PvP some more. I especially liked the game where your team had to keep possession of an object that slowly killed the holder.

I say give Rift a shot. It's completely free to play.

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I absolutely loved Tanking in Tera. It's actually the only game I've enjoyed tanking.

Very visceral.

I just don't like the "end game".

If you are interested in a pvp server then the game might have more longevity. Unless of course you enjoy running end game instances, then this game could be for you.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Final Fantasy 14 ARR is very tank friendly and its a good quality game
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by Deathgod881
    Everquest 2 gets boring fast if you've played WoW you've played SWTOR/EQ

This  is you're opinion and I think its bullshit,which is my opinion.

• Originally posted by Sovrath

I absolutely loved Tanking in Tera. It's actually the only game I've enjoyed tanking.

Very visceral.

I just don't like the "end game".

If you are interested in a pvp server then the game might have more longevity. Unless of course you enjoy running end game instances, then this game could be for you.

Nah I don't think I would like a pvp server, just some pvp once in a while like battlegrounds :) So i would love some sort of pve endgame.

And wow you all responced so fast, thank you :)

I think I have to look more into each game uve commeneted on, youtube some perhaps.

And as for Rift, I know there are multiple tanks there, any suggestions for wich I should pick if I go with that game ?

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    You should try Guild Wars 2.  I promise you that I've never heard of a single instance of someone yelling at a tank.  image
  • Originally posted by RebelScum99
    You should try Guild Wars 2.  I promise you that I've never heard of a single instance of someone yelling at a tank.  image

I have GW2 but, theres no typical Holy Trinity thing going on there, and I kinda like that in games.

Thanks for the suggestion tho. I am currently lvling a mesmer there for some pvp action once in a while xD

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Honestly, the best tanking experience I've had was EQ1, where I wasn't often crucified if I were trying to do something new and didn't know the dungeon/area/event 100% and be able to lead others by the nose through it. Plus you were actually needed, even with the newer Mercenaries, and even if your gear wasn't "Best in Slot". Mostly SK tanked in this game.

WoW - hated tanking there. Gear scores, combined with everyone expecting you to lead them through, combined with an overall caustic community. Bleh. Druid and Warrior tanked in this one until Cata.
    Rift - tanking was ok, I couldn't get hooked into the game overall though. There is a lot of tanking variety between all the classes and souls, but the community seems to gravitate around just a few "Best" builds. I cleric tanked all the way through 60, but couldn't get into endgame stuff.
    SWTOR - umm, no. The game has great class stories, but as far as a compelling game past that, not really.
    FFXIV - am playing it now, but can't seem to get into tanking here, the mechanics are a bit different. The nice thing here is you don't have to roll a new toon to try tanking as a new class.
    Eve - actually tanking in this one is very interesting, if you can get into the game. It's definitely not a trinity-style game, but tanking still plays a really important part in the PVE aspect of it. I enjoyed running the missions and playing with different ships/builds/tanking styles.
    FFXI - Good tanking in this game, a few solid builds to work with. The expansions have changed the game a good deal though.
    Firefall - there is a psuedo-trinity in this game. Tanking doesn't so much consist of aggro as it does just standing in front of your group and soaking up bullets for them.
    Neverwinter - felt like a cheap F2P P2W game...
    LOTRO - started off strong, still has a decent paying community. It's a different game today though.
    Rusty Hearts - unique gameplay, not really a tank class, but more arcade-style play. It was fun to waste some time with though.
    Vindictus - here was some awesome tanking. The combo moves look awesome, the Fiona tank class was deep and fun to play, and the physics really brought the game to life.

May also want to check out Vanguard (similar to EQ/EQ2)

Would it be cheap to recommend World of Tanks?

• yangdudeyangdude Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Wrexia_Widgetnut
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

I have GW2 but, theres no typical Holy Trinity thing going on there, and I kinda like that in games.

Thanks for the suggestion tho. I am currently lvling a mesmer there for some pvp action once in a while xD

I have almost all classes to 80 and Mesmer was by far the most painful to level.  If you like the tank feel and get sick of the Mesmer, roll an engineer (bomb build is good fun), guardian and warrior.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Wrexia_Widgetnut
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

I know, the non-trinity thing is why I said it.  I was joking, of course.  And I agree about the trinity.  Not a fan of games without it. 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

LOTRO - started off strong, still has a decent paying community. It's a different game today though.

Yep, LotRO has a great community, and a fun tanking experience with wardens. It's a different game indeed, but will be even more different 2 days from now sadly...

WoT :) my first thought was the same when I red the title of tankfriendly mmo.

I don't see AoC on the list so far, it looks great, if you play TSW then you already have a Funcom account so even more easy to jump in. All 3 soldiers are fun to play, and while guardians are The tank class, both conq and dt can tank as well. Templars have some nice mechanics on the side too.

All 3 are easy to level up (guard can be a bit slow if feating towards tanking, but you can always retrain), there are awesome dungeons, 2 great raids (I don't like Khitai ;) ), average community, but in big numbers after the merge. Crom has lots of Eu folks, before the merge that was the Eu PvE server.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    If you want to play the tank role in a group then imo eq2 and vanguard are the best options. Very much of the high end content depends on having a skilled tank in both those games.
  • BlizzardShillBlizzardShill Member UncommonPosts: 37

SWTOR tanks have interesting utility in PvP.

They all receive a 'Guard' skill which is somewhat like the old Vigilance thing from WoW: you place it on a target and it reduces their threat and intercepts some damage.  In PvP, however, Guard intercepts 50% of damage done to that target as long as the tank is within range.  This adds a distinct layer in PvP where the enemy team may actually have to figure out ways to get the tank away from the healer in order to deal full damage.  When there's a skilled tank on your team that knows how to switch Guards around to focused targets, your team gets a lot more durable.

Tanks also have Taunts (both single-target and AOE) that reduce damage done by that character by 30% unless they are attacking the tank - obviously a great way to lessen the pressure on your team.

And on top of that, tanks generally carry around the most hard CC and knockbacks in their arsenal, as well as spammable slows.

Obviously none of these points really matter if you're not interested in PvP (in PVE, the tanks play just like any trinity MMO), but BioWare actually did good by these features.

• Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Yep, LotRO has a great community, and a fun tanking experience with wardens. It's a different game indeed, but will be even more different 2 days from now sadly...

WoT :) my first thought was the same when I red the title of tankfriendly mmo.

I don't see AoC on the list so far, it looks great, if you play TSW then you already have a Funcom account so even more easy to jump in. All 3 soldiers are fun to play, and while guardians are The tank class, both conq and dt can tank as well. Templars have some nice mechanics on the side too.

All 3 are easy to level up (guard can be a bit slow if feating towards tanking, but you can always retrain), there are awesome dungeons, 2 great raids (I don't like Khitai ;) ), average community, but in big numbers after the merge. Crom has lots of Eu folks, before the merge that was the Eu PvE server.

Hehe, didnt think of anything else to call it then Tank, but nono id not wanna play as an actual tank vs tank veichle thingy hihi :-)

And I do have funcom account from AoC from aaaaaaaaages ago when it released, might be worth digging some to find that again actually. 

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Rift. You can change roles when you're not grouped. Cleric, warrior, or rogue are all good tanks. You'll actually get groups unlike most of the underpopulated games out there. 

• SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53

Tanking is in most mmos the most forgiving role.

People will disagree with this but it's the truth:

Can ignore a majority of game mechanics. Doesn't have to worry about acing their rotation because threat is a non factor and their dps is low anyway so they dont lose much by messing up. So all you have to worry about is positioning (which everyone does moreso than tanks since what hits tanks hard oneshots dps/healers)

In other words: Dont worry just do it it's redicioulusly easy.

• Originally posted by Sacria

Can ignore a majority of game mechanics. Doesn't have to worry about acing their rotation because threat is a non factor and their dps is low anyway so they dont lose much by messing up. So all you have to worry about is positioning (which everyone does moreso than tanks since what hits tanks hard oneshots dps/healers)

Thanks :) I usually get scared of tanking cause alot say its such a difficult task, but atm i having loads of fun in different games tanking :D

• DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Sacria

This is only true in a game where, as you say, threat/aggro is a non factor. Tanks are much more fun to play, I think, when the job isn't so damn simple. In Vanguard at least, aggro management is very much an issue, and it's not always that easy for the tank to hold it. Some of the top-end experienced tanks have pretty considerable threat generation, but for the most part, it's not that easy. It's one of the reason I like and play VG, despite it's faults, it's just not as simple as most of the other games around.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Sacria

Your right about it being most but there are a couple notable exceptions to that mostly in the older games.  Tanking in EQ2 is a art form and good vs bad tanks stand out in a hurry.  It's very gear dependent however so even the best technical tank is going to struggle when grouped up with over geared DPS.  If you can get into tanking with guild mates in equivalent gear however it is a very rewarding challenge.

I haven't played a MMO released in the last 5 years that treats tanking as anything other than face rolling buttons on the keyboard.  TSW comes closer than most but it's virtues is picking the skills to put on your active and passive bars more than actually using them.

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152

If you want a game with a large variety of different tanks, and different builds for the different tanks, Rift is your game.

Rift has I believe 3 or 4 different tank classes, all of which have multiple different roles, and thousands of different builds.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Ffxiv tanking is mind numbingly easy.
    Tanking in TERA is fun, not all that difficult.

I also am a "perma tank" its the only role I ever play. FFXI was my favorite game of all time and had the best time tanking in.

I'd suggest TERA to try since its free, and lancers are very good in PvP also.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

If you want to play Rift, pick your favorite style of character and play it.  

I haven't followed the game since June, but there was talk of souls (skill trees) to close the role gaps in all classes for the 3.0 expansion.  Warriors and Rogues would be able to be main healers, Clerics would get a support soul, and Mages would get a tank soul.  That means every class can heal, tank, dps, or provide support buffs.  Don't expect to do more than one role at a time, though.  The game is currently designed so it becomes inefficient for someone to try to branch out and use multiple roles in combat, for most of the souls.  

So, pick your flavor and you can fill any role.  

In my experiences with Warrior, Rogue, and Cleric (all leveled to 50 when the max was 60), the easiest to tank with was Cleric.  Just spam attacks and your self-healing causes so much threat that only high-end DPS in end-game dungeons can steal aggro.  Warrior required more skill to hold aggro, while Rogue required a good sense of timing to keep a certain buff going.