Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to AoC looking for some advice

AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874

So I have AoC on my hard drive but I never got past lvl 5. I was thinking about giving it a go, what is a good class for some one who is brand new? I would like some one who can solo if thats even possible in this game. Also what is a good guild that would have minimal swearing in guild chat? Well thanks for the help in advance.

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    I recommend a melee class as that's where the game shines. Bloodline on Crom is a great Guild that's been around since the beginning. I just returned not to long ago. Level 62 ATM and game keeps getting better and more immersive as I level.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

I also like melee --- Lopping heads and limbs to a beautiful music score never gets old! But it depends on what floats your boat. A lot of players like Castors and Healers but I prefer the rogue classes like Barbarian or Ranger. You can try a couple of different classes up to 20 or so in Tortage, and when you find one you like take him into the main game.

Soloing is very doable. There a few quests that require grouping up to complete, but you don't have to do them. Grouping is not a problem so much since the server merge. There are a lot more players around and groups are easy to get in and out of, plus they can be fun.

I have been in and out of several different guilds over the course of my AoC stint and all have been polite and friendly. A guild is a big help getting through the game, especially if you are noob.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Basically what's above me, just want to add that if you want an easier class, pick one of those that were free before the f2p revamp. AoC classes are fun, and in some cases have unique ways to operate, but in all 4 types there's a "pure" one, which is more straightforward than the others.

So based on what playstyle do you prefer, the guardian is pretty much the basic mmo tank, the barbarian is the usual melee dps class, PoM is your usual mmo healer, and demo is the ranged dps wizard glass cannon. Maybe those are the easiest to picking up. With choosing guard or barb, you'll find additional fun in the combo system.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Go with a Conqueror.  They are pretty close to invincible while soloing.  And melee is where the combat really shines in this game.  Other than that, the main piece of advice I can give you is to suck it up and muscle through the Tortage part of the game.  Tortage is absolutely horrible and I'd be willing to bet it's where most people lose their desire to keep playing.  But stick with it because once you get out of Tortage the game really opens up and becomes much less linear.  The world is jaw-dropping when you are able to get out and explore it.  
  • MikeMossMikeMoss Member UncommonPosts: 66

Hi

If you want a really easy class try Necromancer with 8 pets, and no combo keys it's a snap.

If you like combat to be really interactive go with a melee class, lots of fun but more work.

You can solo this game almost anyplace, there are only a few dungeons that really need a group, but you don't have to do them.

Anything that you are required to do can be done alone.

If it's too tough just wait a few levels and go back.

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you have to use a silencer?

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    The game is wonderful. I got back into it a few months ago after a long break and was wonder why I ever left. I've rolled 3 level 80s since I've been back and all have been viable as solo. Conquer will be my next. Wild geese on the normal Pvp server is a great guild I am in. Very mature acting players without any crude language. And make sure to join a group here and there for dungeons. Aoc has the best dungeon play I've ever seen. So much fun
  • LittleBootLittleBoot Member Posts: 326

When I last played it (ignoring the odd F2P troll) the game had a great community remaining form early doors with very helpful guilds.  I think a good community is often built in games that struggled.  So my recommendation would be to join one asap.

As for class I would go ranger or conquerer.  They are dps (although conq can be off-tank from what I remember) which means you won't have to do a huge catch up on gear to be useful in PVE endgame (trying to take a geared tanks position will be hard).  I also enjoyed the magical melee class a lot as well- forget its name though- no I don't HoX.    

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Abimor

So I have AoC on my hard drive but I never got past lvl 5. I was thinking about giving it a go, what is a good class for some one who is brand new? I would like some one who can solo if thats even possible in this game. Also what is a good guild that would have minimal swearing in guild chat? Well thanks for the help in advance.

I just returned after two year away and have just subbed for 12 months as I was that impressed. They are just sorting out the crafting atm too so that looks like it will be very improved and make the game more fun too. I am in an active guild called TAW you can see what they have at www.taw.com and my name is lunatic in game feel free to send me a tell for any help. I would say team up with someone and have some fun doing quest together and then it will not matter what class you choose as long as you have support and fun.

Any other question send me a tell.

Asbo