Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My first reactions...

NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

I have played very little of this game, but I have put in some time to at least get my bearings.  I don't have much to say, but here goes:

1.  This UI friggin blows.  Maybe it's my bias speaking, as I tend to be more of a minimalist when it comes to the UI (the less crap on-screen the better) but this is ridiculous.  If I had one major complaint about this game - it would be this.  Man... I sure hope they get this straightened out better before this game goes Live.

2.  I have been extremely lost in this game as to what to do.  Well, okay let me rephrase this.  I understand the concept of a sandbox.  I'm not someone who has had my hand held for so long, I can't do things on my own initiative.  I think a better way to express what I am talking about here is that I am completely lost as to what I am actually capable of doing.  Maybe I missed it in the tutorial portion - it went by pretty fast - and maybe I encountered some sort of issue where things weren't exactly working as intended... but I'm not entirely sure what all there is to do in the game or why it is important to do it.

Other than that.... this game is pretty rad.  It's not your typical MMO gameplay, as far as i can tell, and it has some interesting things going on.  I just wish they would reduce the noise a little... because it's distracting when you're trying to concentrate on learning how to play the game.

Comments

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

Firefall being called a sandbox still makes me laugh. Red 5 should have a reputation by now for churning out terrible updates. Their attempt at PvP was a farce and in the end they had to shut it down. Trust me when I say there were a plethora of people dedicated to giving great ideas to improve it... unfortunately, it fell on deaf ears and those people were either temporarily banned, ignored or chastized by a small legion of zealots who seem to think the developer can do no wrong.

Granted, I really have no idea how the game plays as I haven't played in a long time and I definitely had no interest in playing it after PvP was removed. As far as I can tell, they're just trying to suck as much money out of the playerbase as possible while still hiding behind the "IT'S STILL BETA" defence. Don't people get tired of defending shitty quality on the grounds of the game calling itself beta? The game is TAKING YOUR MONEY, I hardly call that game beta.

Let's also remember that beta means that the basic systems are in place. This isn't some internal test or alpha, this is a product that has the guts already formed.

Firefall HAD potential but it lost all of its credibility. Play it for what it is, but please people, be smart... don't give them your money.

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by wormed

Firefall being called a sandbox still makes me laugh. Red 5 should have a reputation by now for churning out terrible updates. Their attempt at PvP was a farce and in the end they had to shut it down. Trust me when I say there were a plethora of people dedicated to giving great ideas to improve it... unfortunately, it fell on deaf ears and those people were either temporarily banned, ignored or chastized by a small legion of zealots who seem to think the developer can do no wrong.

Granted, I really have no idea how the game plays as I haven't played in a long time and I definitely had no interest in playing it after PvP was removed. As far as I can tell, they're just trying to suck as much money out of the playerbase as possible while still hiding behind the "IT'S STILL BETA" defence. Don't people get tired of defending shitty quality on the grounds of the game calling itself beta? The game is TAKING YOUR MONEY, I hardly call that game beta.

Let's also remember that beta means that the basic systems are in place. This isn't some internal test or alpha, this is a product that has the guts already formed.

Firefall HAD potential but it lost all of its credibility. Play it for what it is, but please people, be smart... don't give them your money.

Geez... what crawled up into your panties and bit you?  I haven't spent a single penny on this game.  Take your hate propaganda somewhere else.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    It does take a while to figure it all out, but I like that in an MMO. Mysteries to be solved...  There are more people in game now than two months ago when I started. This game has the best combat of any MMO I have played and really good AI as well. Looking forward to the expansion they are working on. 
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Notimeforbs  I think a better way to express what I am talking about here is that I am completely lost as to what I am actually capable of doing.

That statement made me laught, as that was exacly what came over me when i started to play Firefall.

I absolutely love Firefall :D

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

When I played it some time ago, all you were able to do are ARES missions, defend against chosen, gather and craft gear. You had the BWA instance as the only raid and thats about it. Sounds like much but after a few weeks got repetative. Same missions, same outposts to defend and gathering got boring: group puts up turrets, call thumper, send thumper home when full, repeat.

Most fun was the pvp because it reminded me of Unreal Tournament, if they had just added wall jump and side dash.

Don't get me wrong, the features it had were nice but there isnt enough sand in the sandbox and the fight against the chosen felt meaningless..

• ThegoodlolThegoodlol Member CommonPosts: 64

I also tried this game and got bored. I know it's supposed to be a sandbox game but, there really isn't much to do. Most of the missions involve defending some object like a thumber or a VLG bike or something like that, and that's pretty much it. I don't know if the game changes a lot at high levels but from what I played, all missions seemed very similar except for maybe the AREs mission where you just kill some dudes while you wait for a bomb to detonate. I know there's some sort of raid or dungeon going on but I have no idea how to enter one because there's no LFD system in the game.

It's basically a grinding game and even though the world is interesting, the classes aren't since you only have 4 or 5 active abilities.

I'm disappointed.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Firefall = great graphics, fun gameplay, cool crafting, decent story, but terrible skill tree and map design.

Seriously I like Firefall, but whenever I get to an area in a map where I am constantly running into sh@t it gets frustrating and annoying, also when it comes to upgrading suits and skills it is just a jumbled mess that gives me a headache and is extremely cumbersome.

There are only a few minor things holding Firefall back from greatness imo "oh and pvp is also an issue", otherwise it's a fairly solid game.

• sneakerz007sneakerz007 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by Thegoodlol

I also tried this game and got bored. I know it's supposed to be a sandbox game but, there really isn't much to do. Most of the missions involve defending some object like a thumber or a VLG bike or something like that, and that's pretty much it. I don't know if the game changes a lot at high levels but from what I played, all missions seemed very similar except for maybe the AREs mission where you just kill some dudes while you wait for a bomb to detonate. I know there's some sort of raid or dungeon going on but I have no idea how to enter one because there's no LFD system in the game.

It's basically a grinding game and even though the world is interesting, the classes aren't since you only have 4 or 5 active abilities.

I'm disappointed.

My feelings exactly. This game was good at first then realized i was logging on to do the same missions over again (defending thumper, defending bikes, destroying tornadoes). This game is absolute garbage it plays the same just when i paid as a founder 1 year ago. Just another game going under before it gets outta of beta if it ever does. This is not a sandbox game. You don't have tools to change the environment like build houses, setup shops, there are invisible walls and the map is limited.

• cdesteycdestey Member Posts: 70

As of the last patch, the game is mostly broken.

They implemented a durability/repair/salvage system by increasing the item decay to ridiculously high levels, but still haven't introduced the repair and salvage parts of the equation. Ass backwards.

So unless you want to replace all your equipment once a week, the best thing to do is not play until it's finished.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I'm disappointed.

'Supposed to be sandbox', possibly.  But I found it to be closer to a 'themepark without content'.   There are no raids/dungeons etc(not even sure if pvp has been put back yet).  Later on what you do is exactly the same as what you do in the beginning(you really can try all the contnent(effectively) in the first day), you'll just be dropping the thumper in an small, high level area etc. possibly you could call this a dungeon(the fanboys/devs call it a 'zone')

• EtheomEtheom Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Karahandras

I'm disappointed.

'Supposed to be sandbox', possibly.  But I found it to be closer to a 'themepark without content'.   There are no raids/dungeons etc(not even sure if pvp has been put back yet).  Later on what you do is exactly the same as what you do in the beginning(you really can try all the contnent(effectively) in the first day), you'll just be dropping the thumper in an small, high level area etc. possibly you could call this a dungeon(the fanboys/devs call it a 'zone')

Indeed the content is currently lacking. Red5 has stated they are working to roll out open world PvP and new PvE content as the main priority this year, so we'll see which direction they take.

Although the current content is lacking, I've been leveling up my frames and banking resources to prepare for PvP. The game is right up my alley and extremely fun. It's rare that a game is consistently fun for me, and I think it has a lot to do with how Firefall reminds me of the core mechanics of Star Wars Galaxies (pre-CU).

This discussion has been closed.