Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok fess-up...what time in your MMO history made you curse out loud or even break something?

AlastiAlasti Member UncommonPosts: 287

Fessing up....there have been MANY times where I cursed out loud at an MMO...but one stands out in particular....

In Ultima Online, when you died...everything on your person was left on the ground for anyone to pick up AND you had to "remember" where you died, because there was no "waypoint" mechanism.  For a while, your dead corpse stayed there with all your stuff inside your corpse for anyone to loot, but then it decayed and all your "stuff" was left there in a pile. 

A few months into the game, one time I came upon a bloody battlefield...  How did I know it was a battlefield...there was 3 PILES of stuff on my screen...obviously where players had died.  I ran to the stuff and "stuffed" my bag with one of the piles...now I SHOULD have just been happy with that haul and ran back to the bank and stashed it...but No...I went and grabbed the second pile...this encumbered me to the point of a crawl...obviously I am now going to run back to the town and "bank" all my stuff....Nope...not me...I had to at least go see what was in the third pile...took me forever to get to the third pile because I was carrying stuff for three people....as I got to the third pile because of my greed, I forgot to scan the area for what KILLED these people in the first place....Stupid!!  Then I see it...and hear it...a beholder....this is where I cursed....the beholder froze me and spelled me to death...

This is one of dozens and dozens of times where I cursed at a mmo...what are some of yours?

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    My husband use to break a keyboard every 3-6 weeks while we played DAOC, lol. That was until TOA came out of course, after that we left. I've never gotten mad enough to curse or break anything, if I got that mad I just wouldn't play that mmo again.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116

Once again Ultima Online online stands out for me.

I am farming some of those snake guys near the Terathan keep and got too cocky and died to an avenger. There were two other players there that I had been chit chatting with as we were farming and I ran up to one of the guys and said "Rez please" ... but all he saw was "OOo oOo". Then he and the other guy walk over to my body and I start seeing items from my corpse flying onto both of them. Their names turned grey in the process for "stealing" my stuff and the one guy says "I cant rez so run back to town and I'll trade you your stuff." So I booked it back to town to the healer building in Paupa and ran over to the bank and saw those 2 standing there. They traded me my stuff back (amazing I know) to which I said thank you and gave them some gold from my stash for being good guys.

We then headed back to the keep to do more farming and after working our way past the snakes this time to the spiders we went back to chit chatting and farming. Then we see some red names pop up on the edge of the screen, PK's were in the area heading our way, so the one guy asked me to make a gate (its a spell that lets people walk through it and travel between locations that you have pre made). I said "Sure no problem, we got time for a couple more spiders." Then this red guy who must have been hiding and stealthed right in front of us appeared saying "No you don't" He paralyzed the one guy, dropped a hallaberd hit on me doing huge damage and then paralyzed me as his buddies rolled up on horseback and just steam rolled the three of us.

I yelled, cursing quite loudly at the screen, threw my mouse into the wall, kicked my chair over and stormed out to the bar in disgust at my own greed and stupidity.

I have never had that type of experience in any other game except EVE online where I was so mentally / emotionally invested in the game that brought me to the brink.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Originally posted by Iczer

Once again Ultima Online online stands out for me...........

The other guy must have been pretty pissed as well =(

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by angerbeaver
    Originally posted by Iczer

Once again Ultima Online online stands out for me...........

The other guy must have been pretty pissed as well =(

Nope, he and his friend laughed it off. I ended up joining their guild and we had lots of fun together and always returned to that story.

Dying in UO was kind of a pain because you turned into a ghost right at your body and had to either have another player resurrect you, run through the wilderness and find a wandering healer (NPC) to res you or run back to town to a healer building and have the healer (NPC) res you there. You could just leave your body and forget it but, as the OP said, if you wanted to get your stuff back you had to run back to your body and loot it. Sometimes the monsters that would kill you or even monsters that would just wander over near your body would rummage through your corpse and take an item or two. So you might have had to kill them as well to get something good back that you had gotten or your pile of gold.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Never broke anything but...

I curse a lot in PvP, in every game.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Never broke anything, but curse.... errr, ummm, yeah...

Worst ever that comes to mind was my then L50 in Everquest 1. (LONG grind times to level, XP loss on death, all items left on corpse, no corpse summons at that time) Guild was on a raid into Hate when the server crashed. Of course when we logged back in to a fully respawned plane it was insta-death. No other guilds were willing to break us in that night. The next night I was out with the Parents on a planned dinner, got home and the Guild had finished their recovery. Thinking I had a week until my Corpse Decayed, I tried to regear my now L48 char while recruiting a break-in that I could join.

Turns out that the decay took a week, if you didn't play the character.  IF you DID, it only took 12 hours to decay.

So there I stood, naked, at the gates of Freeport, saying some very unkind things in guildchat...  :(

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

EverQuest.

There I was in Timorous Deep hunting aviaks. It was Christmas, and I had taken two weeks off from work and had plenty of EQ time planned. I died upon agroing more than one. Being an erudite wizard I was very squishy. Upon respawning at my bind point, which I had made on the isle I was hunting on, I ran to where I had died only to find I didn't leave a corpse. I reported it and found out that no one could help me due to the Christmas holiday. When I was finally contacted about the event I was told that it was impossible for me to have not left a corpse. I requested they check their logs and was told that they couldn't to that. There was no record of individual corpse occurrenceThey wouldn't grant all of my items back to me as they had no method of verifying the items I said that lost in this event. So disappointing to hear that they were that technologically limited. Such poor design. Such a poor death mechanic. Such horrible customer support. Two weeks to end up being told this was unacceptable. There were many various items thrown about, and a plethora of explicatives filled the air all about me. The level of nerd rage I contained was unbearable. This was one of the many times I nerd_rage_quit EQ1. Not proud of that....

/edit: MUCH spelling fixes!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

it was very late one evening, and I was trying to complete some core crafting mission and realized I need  some ore to complete a mission.  Looked around and saw one in station for a very reasonable price of 650K ISK, (normally sold for more like 900K), so I quickly snatched it up.

To my horror I watched my available ISK drop by 670 million ISK, in my exhaustion I had fallen for a very old scam of not counting the zeros correctly, and paid almost over 2/3 of a billion ISK for a trivial hauler.

Could have thrown my laptop across the room that evening, and to this day I've still got the name of the player who scammed me and his corporation saved so that one day if the opportunity ever presents itself (such as winning a lottery) I'm going to pay a dozen merc corps to wardeck these folks for the rest of their days in the game.

No, I don't get angry at all regarding video games....   image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    ArcheAge - The WAITING!
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

In Everquest,

During original release, I was camping in Cazic for Rubicite BP. It was the final day that Rubicite items were dropping. BP dropped, like 3 people in group could use it. We rolled, I got a 98 and won it. I was so happy. After so many times losing out on it, finally got it for my ranger.

Then a freaking Necro ninjad the item. I was so pissed! Swearing up a storm in game as well as RL. Didn't break anything, but not against voicing my displeasure hehe.

Thankfully when Kunark came out and the Fungi Tunic dropped, it was a lot better and I got one early, but still was pissed about that Rubicite BP.

I think I trained the guy whenever possible and had a number of people do the same. Don't really his name, but he had a hard time finding a group after. That was a time when reputation actually meant something and a person could get blacklisted. Of course as a necro, he didn't really need to group often. After a while never saw him on, probably rerolled since no one wanted to play with him, lol.

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

Every time I play an mmo!

What annoys me most is when you have no chance of survival in an encounter. I find it pathetically pointless to have shit like this in games. Sure it can be hard, but when you have no chance and get killed by just one hit, what's the point, are they trying to stop you playing or WTF!

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    When I finally accepted Warhammer Online was never going to live up to it's potential or even really improve.
  • BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

Dunno if it counts, d3 overall, and in paricular this situation:

You are killing something, it fights back, your health goes down, the screen turns red, because ofc bleeding eye effect is more important than the player seeing whats going on on low health, you try to press the potion hotkey, potion is on cooldown, the character says in a completely annoyed voice "WHY WOULD I DO THAT?!?"

(SO YOU DONT DIE YOU %#$%@#$$@ OF A $@#$@# ,  #$%#$ HELL)

Nearly made me buy plane tickets to hurt someone physically in blizz hq for doing the voice responses as shoddy as the whole game :)

Flame on!

:)

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Never, cause I ain't crazy. Well I am, but in the OCD/Depression/Agoraphobia way not the scream at the screen crazy.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Being at 1997 WoW arena rating in 3v3, then losing 73 points because one guy dc'd. At the time we where only getting 3 to 4 points per win.  I stood up and threw my head set while cursing out loud.

Age of Wushu, I sold and item for 10 silver instead of 10,000 silver. I didn't curse, or break anything. I almost cried though... That sinking stomach feeling lasted past when I woke up the next morning.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"