Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge is "Game of the Year" in Korea

Informer80Informer80 Member Posts: 91

Translated as the President’s Award, XLGAMES’ ArcheAge clinched the top prize at this year’s Korea Game Awards. Usually held on the evening before G-Star begins, the company’s founder Mr Jake Song was there to receive the trophy, along with a huge cash prize.

ArcheAge at Koream Game Awards 2013 2

Other notable online titles which won includes Age of Storm (Excellence in Online Games),  and ArcheAge again (Planning and scenario, Graphics). Riot Games Korea won the award for company social responsibility. It seems weird NCsoft and Nexon are missing from the winners list…

Source: http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/11/korea-game-awards-2013-archeage-bags-3-awards-at-annual-event/

Korean Source: http://www.thisisgame.com/webzine/news/nboard/4/?n=50963

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Does make me think it might be more successful here in the west than first predicted by some on these forums.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EberhardtEberhardt Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Makes me wonder how much merit a Korean GOTY award can hold in the west. Because, as we've seen in the past, what Korean gamers believe is "good" may vary greatly from what we believe.
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Awards handed out by a group paid by the very people who are to be considered for the award. Wonder how much it cost to win?

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• ZeniersZeniers Member Posts: 1

I was in Korea for the summer and whilst there, I got to see what games other people are playing and got to try Archeage for myself. Although it's a beautiful game, I feel like mmo's aren't very big in Korea at the moment. The Korean gaming scene is still caught up in the MOBA scene, specifically LoL and maybe DoTA. As a result, when you go to the PC Bang's in Korea, Archeage was hardly touched and you'd simply see either League or SC2 on most of the player's screens.

I'm just curious how ArcheAge won GotY in Korea when it's not the most popular game in the Korean gaming scene at the moment. 

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

But still doesn't seem to be very popular, games like Aion, Blade & Soul and Tera are way more played but still top 20 which I guess is not bad

Source:

http://www.mmogreport.com/features/1078-top-online-games-ranking-in-korea-oct-2013

Edit.

Note:

LOL once again the most popular game 2 years in a row

WOW less popular than Aion among others but still is over AA.

SC Brood War still more popular than SC2.

Lineage is over 15 years old and still top 10 in S. Korea.

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597
    Originally posted by Zeniers

I'm just curious how ArcheAge won GotY in Korea when it's not the most popular game in the Korean gaming scene at the moment. 

GoTY doesn't mean popular, look at the Oscar, it's not the most popular movies that win!

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Does make me think it might be more successful here in the west than first predicted by some on these forums.

I laughed at this. When has this sites predictions ever been close ? If it's hyped up as the greatest game ever, it's going to spend the next 5-10 years as the worst game ever made. If it's a "fail" mmo it will probably do pretty well.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Shocks me as I heard nothing but bad things, even from US players playing in Korea.  I'd really like to know what the competition was.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    IMHO it very much deserved it not to mention based on what MMO's are about to release this upcoming year, due to it's depth and innovation, I wouldn't be surprised if it won GOTY in NA as well. Regardless of what Korean players think about AA, there hasn't been a game like this in the west in a very very very long time if ever.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I laughed at this. When has this sites predictions ever been close ? If it's hyped up as the greatest game ever, it's going to spend the next 5-10 years as the worst game ever made. If it's a "fail" mmo it will probably do pretty well.

Well truth be told, while no game ever manages to exceed the financial success of WOW (or even come close to it) for the most part the AAA titles all manage to hold their own. Sure, there might be some changes in payment models, but few actually shrink to the point of closing.

Sure wish Trion would start sharing some information on their plans to deliver this title as I'm still interested in learning more about it, and I haven't taken the time to complete my Rosetta Stone Korean language primer yet. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Showing at the feature list of this game (whioch is everything in LIVE server and not some promised lies )  this doesn't  surprise  me.

No MMORPG  has ever come close to have so many features in place.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Grats to XLGAMES :)

TRION dumped the whole Minecraft thing... which just boggles the mind. They have to say something before the end of the year!

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

TRION dumped the whole Minecraft thing... which just boggles the mind. They have to say something before the end of the year!

Minecraft thing?

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I think we should ask the Russians to wake up Trion and tell then ArcheAge won the award...and while there at it how to launch a Korean language game.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by ghost047

GoTY doesn't mean popular, look at the Oscar, it's not the most popular movies that win!

I highly recommend not using the Oscar's as a comparison. The Oscars are not based upon talent, skill or quality. It is based upon a select few who meat and base their opinions on factors that may have nothing to do with any given movie. This has been proven too.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I'm still excited for AA. So far it seems like OWPvP is a big part of it and that makes me happy.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    It's more ambitious than most mmo's so i guess it deserves it. I just don't see it releasing over here. Trion are not on a roll at the moment.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by madazz

I highly recommend not using the Oscar's as a comparison. The Oscars are not based upon talent, skill or quality. It is based upon a select few who meat and base their opinions on factors that may have nothing to do with any given movie. This has been proven too.

Oscars are given for the performance of an actor, it's very much based on talent and skill judged by people in the craft.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

Minecraft thing?

Yeah TRION announced TROVE, which is sort of a mesh between Minecraft and Cube World. But then again, they have full control over this versus ArcheAge in which they have very little control over (as far as giving out info/dates/etc). We have to wait till XLGames decides to give them any sort of info to then pass it on to us.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by lugal
    Awards handed out by a group paid by the very people who are to be considered for the award. Wonder how much it cost to win?

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Around treefiddy

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

The game is popular enough to sustain itself through its cash shop. The reason its not a huge success is because the game isn't grindy in the way koreans like to grind. They like HUGE CARROTs on sticks to swat at when they play games. That illusive gold status on LoL, the Raid boss level in PvP in Aion, etc. ArchAge doesn't have that and it didn't release with all the features that would have drawn in the Tear and L2 crowds (player created factions and politics). Its getting there though, and once its reached that point, it will get released in the west.

I've actually played it btw. The only thing I'm disappointed by with the game was the inital combat system or the one it launched with I guess. It was very CC fest heavy with tab targeting. They haven't completely fixed that problem, but its A LOT BETTER than it was. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by lugal

Ask SOE.

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by xpiher

The game is popular enough to sustain itself through its cash shop. The reason its not a huge success is because the game isn't grindy in the way koreans like to grind. They like HUGE CARROTs on sticks to swat at when they play games. That illusive gold status on LoL, the Raid boss level in PvP in Aion, etc. ArchAge doesn't have that and it didn't release with all the features that would have drawn in the Tear and L2 crowds (player created factions and politics). Its getting there though, and once its reached that point, it will get released in the west.

I've actually played it btw. The only thing I'm disappointed by with the game was the inital combat system or the one it launched with I guess. It was very CC fest heavy with tab targeting. They haven't completely fixed that problem, but its A LOT BETTER than it was. 

then western peeps should like it :)

• matiasvidalmatiasvidal Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by madazz

Oscars are given for the performance of an actor, it's very much based on talent and skill judged by people in the craft.

Yeah, because Jennifer Lawrence won an Oscar, and she totally deserved it...