Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Aerial Combat Featured in Domination Trailer

2»

Comments

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I'm glad for everything they add or improve to current game. Swtor along with Wow for me is best duo of games ever created. I just do not care for pvp nor space combats. I'm altholic and I enjoy a lot with my alts. I really hope for some new expansion, another "Makeb" would do just fine (with my great wish they add story telling chain of quests).
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by maxima29
    Originally posted by Asamof

Ah yes the sunken ship with over a Million players.  How I bet SWG wished they could of had a million players just once in the 8 years.  Nope its closed that ship SUNK and sunk hard.  

You're correct in saying SWG is closed, whilst SWTOR is still running. What you conveniently left out is that SWG was closed so that SWTOR could launch without any competition !

You could say SWTOR killed SWG, but it didn't happen in a "winner-takes-all" battle. SWTOR had SWG murdered the night before the fight...

SWG was closed because LucasArts pulled the licence. It would have been very interesting to see how how the populations of the 2 games had changed 6 months after SWTOR's release. We all know what happened in SWTOR, but how many of the lost players might have ended-up in SWG after they had finished the storylines in SWTOR ? We'll never know...

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by madman356647
    Well the cool kids drinking SWG flavored Kool aid try to make stories like there is one employee working on SWTOR.  Well I must say that one employee made a pretty good video.  Can't wait for this should be a good time!!

But...but SWG was the best game ever!  It's shutdown was nothing short of a conspiracy, and I'll never let the truth die!  This game should burn in the 9th circle of hell, right next to the people who never pay their library fines!  It was THE BEST SANDBOX OF ALL TIME, CUT DOWN IN ITS PRIME [....and maybe trying too hard to chase after that WoW $$$].

(for those who misread: I never played SWG, never cared for it.  However, there is an extreme bent around here for SWG, and a definite hatred that SWTOR replaced it.  You're welcome to have your game pref, but there comes a point where it just feels bitter and jaded - it is a video game after all).

That disclaimer at the end doesn't save your post from sounding just as bitter or jaded as the posts your criticizing, if not more.

on topic: SWG's space exploration was a full fledged game in itself, I knew players back then who didn't even touch the 'real game' on ground.

This is a gimmicky single PvP map for a sunken ship of a game. Not really comparable at all.

Ah yes the sunken ship with over a Million players.  How I bet SWG wished they could of had a million players just once in the 8 years.  Nope its closed that ship SUNK and sunk hard.  

Keep busting out the SWG straw man, it makes your argument look pathetic. If there's really a million players then no forum complaints can touch your vapid game, and maybe you can stop getting spittle on your screen.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Well the cool kids drinking SWG flavored Kool aid try to make stories like there is one employee working on SWTOR.  Well I must say that one employee made a pretty good video.  Can't wait for this should be a good time!!

But...but SWG was the best game ever!  It's shutdown was nothing short of a conspiracy, and I'll never let the truth die!  This game should burn in the 9th circle of hell, right next to the people who never pay their library fines!  It was THE BEST SANDBOX OF ALL TIME, CUT DOWN IN ITS PRIME [....and maybe trying too hard to chase after that WoW $$$].

(for those who misread: I never played SWG, never cared for it.  However, there is an extreme bent around here for SWG, and a definite hatred that SWTOR replaced it.  You're welcome to have your game pref, but there comes a point where it just feels bitter and jaded - it is a video game after all).

That disclaimer at the end doesn't save your post from sounding just as bitter or jaded as the posts your criticizing, if not more.

on topic: SWG's space exploration was a full fledged game in itself, I knew players back then who didn't even touch the 'real game' on ground.

This is a gimmicky single PvP map for a sunken ship of a game. Not really comparable at all.

Keep busting out the SWG straw man, it makes your argument look pathetic. If there's really a million players then no forum complaints can touch your vapid game, and maybe you can stop getting spittle on your screen.

Such irony! image

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Such irony! image

Yes because my post was very angry and oozes rage. I am sure my blood pressure has risen to dangerous levels. So to draw the eye back to my point, SWG is not comparable to SWTOR and is was shut down. If a million users log in and pay for something then there is no argument because the game will enjoy success.

Obviously the bad press has done its job, but from here on out I doubt it has any effect. Maxima there is really just doing the "Nobody calls my sister ugly" thing.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

You're correct in saying SWG is closed, whilst SWTOR is still running. What you conveniently left out is that SWG was closed so that SWTOR could launch without any competition !

Because... SWG was a vibrant and successful game and not at all a maintenance-mode zombie long before ToR was a gleam in a Bioware's eye?

One of the more amusing aspects of all this has been watching the legend of SWG grow more absurd and disconnected from reality with every new ToR hate thread.

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    It looks like it will be the space combat from Battlefront (2004) and Rogue Squadron (1998).
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by demadil
    I Jumped back on last night to try the bounty hunting event they have.. you know something they are taking from swg. Well it was going well until i finished my first bounty hunting mission and caplooyey!(taken from the old batman show)it's a daily you can't do another. Logging off for another 6 months.

Why we should care? this about GS and not the Bounty event. 

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Does anyone know how many players SWG actually had? Certain forumites praise it like it was The Best MMO Evah but then I've heard that prior to closure it was a complete ghost town. I'm not a SWTOR fan but log in now and then and it seems to have a healthy population. 
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

You could say SWTOR killed SWG, but it didn't happen in a "winner-takes-all" battle. SWTOR had SWG murdered the night before the fight...

SWG was closed because LucasArts pulled the licence. It would have been very interesting to see how how the populations of the 2 games had changed 6 months after SWTOR's release. We all know what happened in SWTOR, but how many of the lost players might have ended-up in SWG after they had finished the storylines in SWTOR ? We'll never know...

How many players SWG had before the SWTOR launch?, How many SWG vets or players are acutally playing SWTOR?. WIth or Without TOR, SWG was dying and it wouldnt change even whit the 2 games running at the same time. Do you really believe that people would leave TOR to play SWG?, even when 80% of the TOR playerbase since launch never played that game?.  SWG was in maintenance mode before the TOR release, a game full of empty servers and ghost cities but 2 servers. Do you really believe that the SWG population will grow once again after years with the SWTOR launch?.  A fight, a competition?, just Lol.    

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by hikaru77

How many players SWG had before the SWTOR launch?, How many SWG vets or players are acutally playing SWTOR?. WIth or Without TOR, SWG was dying and it wouldnt change even whit the 2 games running at the same time. Do you really believe that people would leave TOR to play SWG?, even when 80% of the TOR playerbase since launch never played that game?.  SWG was in maintenance mode before the TOR release, a game full of empty servers and ghost cities but 2 servers. Do you really believe that the SWG population will grow once again after years with the SWTOR launch?.  A fight, a competition?, just Lol.    

Be very careful here asking the hard questions (well easy questions just hard for the mental state of swg vets) that not one of these swg vets will answer is only going to make them more defensive.  And come with crazy insane assumptions about Swtor without a single link to back up anything they say. 

It seems every time Swtor releases new content these swg vets all worked up again and with each update more and more desperate .  

But very good questions I'd love to hear some answers from some of these swg vets. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by hikaru77

Be very careful here asking the hard questions (well easy questions just hard for the mental state of swg vets) that not one of these swg vets will answer is only going to make them more defensive.  And come with crazy insane assumptions about Swtor without a single link to back up anything they say. 

It seems every time Swtor releases new content these swg vets all worked up again and with each update more and more desperate .  

But very good questions I'd love to hear some answers from some of these swg vets. 

As a SWG vet and a current SW;TOR player, its not an easy question to answer either way, SWG's problems were many, the NGE killed the game as surely as anything else did, it was a sandbox game that wasnt designed to be based on levels, that had levels etc imposed upon it, badly, when you compare SW;TOR to the NGE, then SW;TOR wins just because its more playable, and while the NGE still had more features, some of them were broken. If you tried to compare SW;TOR with the Pre-CU version though, it becomes very very different, SW;TOR isnt even close to competing with all the features it had, thats just the way it is, fully featured sandbox vs limited features themepark, that isnt to say that people wouldnt have stuck around for the storylines in SW;TOR, but it would have probably meant that SWG would have picked up more than a few of the 'fallout' from SW;TOR, just because there is more depth to the game, and more 'end game' if you can call it that. Even the PVP in SWG was far better, though imo, they should never have let the imps have Walkers, those things were just too overpowered, a couple of players with those things deployed were easily able to decimate the anchorheads rebel population.. which really wasnt all that fair.

But back to SW;TOR, its a reasonable game, it just isnt 'great' the upcoming space PVP thing sounds interesting, but its not exciting, and its not really even new, and when you compare it to JTLS it is more than a little lacking in features, ie, choice of ships, pve space content/missions not to mention just more players being able to be involved, multi personnel starships were a lot of fun in JTLS, where it was possible to have a ship like the Millenium falcon, with players operating the upper and lower gun turrets, and others helping keep the ship alive, from engineering to tactics - if your crew had the necessary skills of course. Will SW;TOR bring even a fraction of that, extremely doubtful, in SW;TOR the space part is just a minigame, and the new PVP part of it looks to be just another 'minigame' in SWG, JTLS was often a seperate game, in addition to the main part. Hopefully SW;TOR's space game will continue to grow and become something more, but its still early days in that respect, and a long long way from being what a lot of people actually want, but a lot of us are keeping our fingers crossed that this is the beginning of 'something more' and in that hope, i'll keep on playing, and i'll keep on subbing, but it is still not my 'main game' not yet.image

• kgsavatarkgsavatar Member UncommonPosts: 20

I think the first couple of posts talked about the "cool kids."  I would put myself in that category on this one.  So no, this is not really what I wanted.  But, we must keep in mind that this has the be done in stages or we will be waiting a really long time for anything.  I would think that their overall goal should be to allow for full space exploration, but it won't come over night.

It seems they are trying to give us what we are asking for, but it just takes time.  So be patient young padawan's and eventually they will surely get there.  The only thing that worries me is will they get there in time?  Will they arrive at the party and by that time will there be anyone left to care?  That is the race they have to win.

BTW, I did not read all of these posts so if someone already came to the same conclusion, congratulations, great minds think a like.  :)