Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

X-Rebirth releases on November 15, Steam Page is up!

Comments

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Originally posted by Hairysun
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    Originally posted by Hairysun

Hmmmm...... the videos look awesome.  However, after I picked up the x series on steam I frequented the forums looking for a solution to this problem or that problem I was having.  One of the big deals on the forum was that with "X-Rebirth" you would never be able to fly a different ship.  You started with a ship and for the duration of the game that would be your one and only ship. 

Is this still the case?

~Hairysun

I  read where you have the same ship....but...you can change it with new modules.

Yes, that seems the case.  The ability to pilot various drones from the cockpit of your ship is an interesting one.

~Hairysun

From what I've read, you actually can go aboard one of your capital ships & act as the 'captain', giving orders in battle and such, but you don't actually directly control it. You merely direct the AI crew, which still sounds pretty good.

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    just found this on youtube.
  • WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Space combat games have been a dead / near-dead genre for more than 10 years.  The X-series is the only one in the 2000's that are of any worthwhile note, which is a shame.  I still remember the genre's heyday of the 1990s.

As for X-Rebirth, already preordered it, and need to dust off my flight control stick.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It looks to be doing it slightly better than Eve,however it is still trying too hard to copy Eve,it needs it`s own identity,it will not take Eve dedicated players away unless it offers something different and better.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    It looks to be doing it slightly better than Eve,however it is still trying too hard to copy Eve,it needs it`s own identity,it will not take Eve dedicated players away unless it offers something different and better.

what the hell are you even talking about, the X series is spanning three decades now, first part came out 1999 long before EvE. Also how can you even compare the dice rolling combat of EvE with the twitch combat of X Rebirth.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

X is a  a game ive always wanted to play but just never got around to it  and im  really  ready to give this one a try but its going to be a wait a week  before i buy it   

if its good /bad then i will see in the player  reviews plus this sort  of game has  a  big price drop within  two weeks of release  so i might be able to pick it up between £15-£20    before  December  

but  it really  looks  good

• AzartenAzarten Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I can sum up what I've seen so far of this game in one word 'immersive', something I haven't seen in any MMORPG's in the last several years.  Can't wait for X-Rebirth.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by DocBrody

what the hell are you even talking about, the X series is spanning three decades now, first part came out 1999 long before EvE. Also how can you even compare the dice rolling combat of EvE with the twitch combat of X Rebirth.

X series don't want to take Eve's players....just borrow them

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Azarten
    I can sum up what I've seen so far of this game in one word 'immersive', something I haven't seen in any MMORPG's in the last several years.  Can't wait for X-Rebirth.

It's not a mmo...or is it?  Thought it was an offline twitch simulator 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by apocoluster

no, you're right its not an mmo.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by aspekx

Nope, it's not an MMO and afaik there are no plans to make it so.

The X-series is one of the few remaining "4-X" games ("eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate"). There is a storyline in each of the X games, but many people play them in the "traditional 4-X" fashion, i.e. start with one ship, explore the game universe, build an empire and conquer all.

The games have always had great support for modding, and the mod community is quite active. X-Rebirth is a major rework of the game engine, so it will not launch with modding tools, but those have been promised for the near future.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by aspekx

Yet its better than any mmo at the moment in concept (even compared to a sand box since they do not have a complex NPC system that adapts) by making things matter and have an impact. 

I hope this sets a standard for games in the future. 

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I am hoping the game turns out better than the demo they showed at Gamescom, the fact that it's only single player after all the years of development is very disappointing indeed. The complete lack of information coming from their camp for such a long time also concerns me and I have not or will not pre order and I'll be waiting to hear what the hard core fans have to say about this game.

I'm in contact with a few of the beta tester who have concerns with it being so close to retail with many crashes they are having on a daily basis, however I'm sure or hope this will be resolved before they go live, or I hope so for their sake.

Asbo

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

Hell I'd pay the asking price for X3 again but with a UI not meant for futuristic sentient A.I.'s with unlimited patience and no desire to actually "play" the game. Hell most of the X games could be considered "Frustrating/Unfinished UI simulators". Which is such a shame, as the gameplay was so incredibly deep and fascinating. But you had to fight the game UI in order to experience it.

In the end I never could get into the series because the UI was so unfathomably horrible, I really can't express properly in words just how bad the UI was to those who haven't played one. It's something so unspeakably bad it has to be experienced to be believed.

The closest I can come to describing it is like, trying to play a VERY complex game through another person who you communicate with only through a speaker, and who doesn't speak your language, is nearly deaf, has no mouse or keyboard, and has never used or seen a computer before in their life. That person represents your UI standing between you and your gameplay.

As much as I want this game to be the one that makes the perfect space sim of my dreams, I'm curbing my expectations, and waiting for reviews from friends, never going to spend another cent on a X game till I know an actual human being programmed a UI meant to be used by human beings.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by NightBandit

I am hoping the game turns out better than the demo they showed at Gamescom, the fact that it's only single player after all the years of development is very disappointing indeed. The complete lack of information coming from their camp for such a long time also concerns me and I have not or will not pre order and I'll be waiting to hear what the hard core fans have to say about this game.

I'm in contact with a few of the beta tester who have concerns with it being so close to retail with many crashes they are having on a daily basis, however I'm sure or hope this will be resolved before they go live, or I hope so for their sake.

I don't think you understand the X series at all! :P

Having a somewhat broken game at launch with bugs is expected if you bought any game from Egosoft.

Good thing is that their patches are really quick and after 2-3 large ones, it becomes stable enough.

Course it is always hilarious to bug something out and break the game before applying the patch.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

What?!?!

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

What?!?!

pff.. EvE came long after the first X Beyond the Frontier, they don´t need to copy anything.

In X Rebirth you can even walk around in stations and your ship, something that EvE never managed to get done.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by Distopia

What?!?!

pff.. EvE came long after the first X Beyond the Frontier, they don´t need to copy anything.

In X Rebirth you can even walk around in stations and your ship, something that EvE never managed to get done.

It's also seemingly lacking monicles for your crew that cost $80 each. XD

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226
    I didn't play the earlier part of the series, but I'll be checking it out because it looks like a single-player "Freelancer" on roids. Is that bad of me?
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by Brenelael
    Originally posted by Raxeon

looks pretty good

The game certainly looks pretty but every time they start talking about the "new" X game play I think I die a little inside. I fear they have substituted the game play that made the rest of the series great with new fancy flashy visuals. I will have to play it though before I make my final judgement on the game. My gut tells me that like so many great IPs before they have seriously dumbed down the game play and replaced it with fancy flashy graphics in the name of mass appeal.

Bren

Welcome to what brainless casual gamers have done to the gaming scene. Most of them aren't smart enough to handle the older games so they have to dumb the game down to the point its a shell of what it could have been. look at skyrim for a prime example, even comparing it to oblivion skyrim is missing a ton of stuff that made oblivion good. Then you have the call of duty series and stuff where each game to the next is the exact same crap in a prettier wrapper with 0 changes to anything to do with the core gameplay. The Tales of series is a jrpg series where combat wise each game feels simmlar, but, in every new Tales game they add or change mechanics so the combat system still feels fresh. Which is more than most AAA devs do, they prefer to remvoe stuff entirely and make it on disc dlc.

I miss gaming from 10+ years back. Sigh were never going to get back to that time when games by big name devs were actually.. ya know good. It makes me a sad camper.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Originally posted by Siveria
    Originally posted by Brenelael
    Originally posted by Raxeon

looks pretty good

The game certainly looks pretty but every time they start talking about the "new" X game play I think I die a little inside. I fear they have substituted the game play that made the rest of the series great with new fancy flashy visuals. I will have to play it though before I make my final judgement on the game. My gut tells me that like so many great IPs before they have seriously dumbed down the game play and replaced it with fancy flashy graphics in the name of mass appeal.

Bren

Welcome to what brainless casual gamers have done to the gaming scene. Most of them aren't smart enough to handle the older games so they have to dumb the game down to the point its a shell of what it could have been. look at skyrim for a prime example, even comparing it to oblivion skyrim is missing a ton of stuff that made oblivion good. Then you have the call of duty series and stuff where each game to the next is the exact same crap in a prettier wrapper with 0 changes to anything to do with the core gameplay. The Tales of series is a jrpg series where combat wise each game feels simmlar, but, in every new Tales game they add or change mechanics so the combat system still feels fresh. Which is more than most AAA devs do, they prefer to remvoe stuff entirely and make it on disc dlc.

I miss gaming from 10+ years back. Sigh were never going to get back to that time when games by big name devs were actually.. ya know good. It makes me a sad camper.

the devs said they didn´t dumb down the game but made a totally new control scheme, the old one was in fact horrible, menus upon menus, it was complicated and unnecessary bloat.

They wanted to get rid of "complicated" but keep the game "complex". The game still looks complex but more logical and straighforward to control. You still get to manage a huge trade empire if you want, just with less menus and sub menus, which in my opinion is a great move.

btw at the moment X-Rebirth is on place 3 at the Steam Topsellers! yay!

3 hours until unlock and it´s #1 on Steam Topsellers, yay!!!

Already pre-loaded and waiting for the unlock

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    I am waiting too why is it three hours away though I dont understand that
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

I will wait for a demo.

This cockpit is nonsense imo. Takes away a lot of the screen with some static useless cockpit graphics. All this walking around in space ship and stations is also something I don't really need in a space game. That you can only fly one ship yourself now doesn't sound like an improvement either too me.

In short, it looks like a dumbed down game which caters to the "I wanna play for 5 minutes and blow something up and wow is my avatar good looking" crowd.

Originally posted by Abimor
    I am waiting too why is it three hours away though I dont understand that

unlock timer on steam ran out over an hour ago,  just came home..right now final updating - woot!

I´m prepared for the weekend, yay!!! :D