Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE will sell your Landmark creations and keep 60% of sales.

15678911»

Comments

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

I love that so many people are defending SOE in this like they're doing a good thing because you're using their tools, etc.

In NO OTHER part of the world or industry in the world are the "shop" fees or cut that high.  Whether you're a sculptor using the shop kiln, a hairdresser at a hair solon using their seats, building, etc,  a realtor using an office at re-max, etc

NONE of them have fees that are 60%.

PRO: You get to play a game and have fun creating things!

PRO: You get to sell your creations that you enjoyed creating to make some money!

PRO: The creations not only get instant recognition in the game world, but are also a great portfolio piece for aspiring game developers or game developers that are currently unemployed.

PRO: Everyone that plays EQ Next will have tons more content to check out in the game world!

CONS: You have to hear people b?tch about something. If it was 10% for SOE/90% for player you'd complain about something else with this.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

You are doing 100% of the work creating content, you get 40% of the sales.

SOE does 0% of the work and gets 60% of the sales.

Are you really saying this is fair?

ANY other real money auction house where you sell to other players has a tax of around 10-15% not 60% SIXTY!

Apparently Sony did not and will never spend money creating and maintaining THE tool you will be using using to make your creations...............

Oh and I am sure Sony doesnt spend any money on storing, processing,distributing, and completing purcheses for your "artwork".

Really stop it. And BTW, auction houses charge alot more then just 10-15% if they do anything but set your piece up for sale at a multi auction place.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Agoden

You're joking right? How many games allow you to actually make money? Barely any of them.

The fact that you get anything at all rather then just sharing it for free is fantastic.

I don't see how anyone could be upset over this.

If anything we should just be upset creations are paid to begin with, but i guess thats the business model.

I don't know of any other mmo's that have me make the game content for them either......

What a nice trick - have the gamers PAY to work FOR you, then give them just a little back to make em feel real special.  Based on a lot of the posts here, their little gimmick worked quite well. 

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    Those bastards a corporation is actually trying to make money !   oh wait that's what they do....carry on. Unless a group of people is literally being exploited *snoozers* is my response.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Margulis

I don't know of any other mmo's that have me make the game content for them either......

What a nice trick - have the gamers PAY to work FOR you, then give them just a little back to make em feel real special.  Based on a lot of the posts here, their little gimmick worked quite well. 

Can you link to where you got that players are making the game or that the game would be incomplete without player-created content?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

The day when they announced Landmark for the first time I wasn't happy at all in the lines that they want content made for "free" and so I decided I'd rather wait for full game to come out and let others do stuff for them; even if it's fun on the way it's a principle thing when they would make money out of what I would potentially create, even if it's their tools.

Now this move with the 40% you're saying they offer sounds pretty generous to be honest and I welcome it! (haven't looked at it in details tho).

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by StarI

Now this move with the 40% you're saying they offer sounds pretty generous to be honest and I welcome it! (haven't looked at it in details tho).

Op is wrong -- and has corrected his post  (but not the title)

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/399558/Landmark-Player-Studio.html

on side note, PStudio with its "40%" has existed for over a year

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/06/create-and-sell-your-own-in-game-items-with-soes-player-studi/

I don't understand why gamers are up in arms now

especially when SOE has already stated Landmark will have *different* player studio royalties

• BilgatoBilgato Member UncommonPosts: 24
    The only problem I have with this is this set-up (and the same for all the other Nay-Sayers, though they aren't honest enough to admit it) is that I'm just not creative enough to make any money and that hurts not only my feelings, but my self-esteem too...