Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

SOE will sell your Landmark creations and keep 60% of sales.

1678911

Comments

  • thekandy2thekandy2 HerningPosts: 9Member
    Originally posted by Tissmogi
    Originally posted by thekandy2
    Originally posted by Tissmogi
    Originally posted by thekandy2

    Go back a few pages or ten and there should be some insightful comments made by the OP, such as "Free content made by players should be free for the players" all in big font and orange for easy reading, and a tirade about how he doesn't wish to pay SOE 60% for the "overpriced" items, whatever that means, since he would be paying the full price to them anyway.

    I think his little song and dance about the modders not being paid enough is a nice little coverup for a much baser cause: His own wallet. Why all this malarchy about something he has no vested interest in whatsoever if not.

    One wonders why he doesn't just come out and say it, given the general opinion of SOE's pricing models here.

    What is it with people on this site desperately trying to find a sinister motive behind my posts? It's like posters are obsessed with finding something to discredit and anger anyone making a thread it's like an obsession yet there are little to no constructive posts at all.

     

    This forum is truly the sewer of all gaming forums, it's so vile and full of shit it's unbelievable.

    There has been plenty of constructive posts in this thread that should be more than enough to sate your curiousity for what the modders think. Yet it seems to remain a point that they should demand more even when it has been brought up that what is being offered for assets is much higher than the regular standard of artwork.

    Yet here you are adding another post that adds nothing to the Topic and only tries to find some sinister agenda. . . are you for real?

    You do not come off as wanting the feedback from modders if they do not support your view and setup, and you very much seem to have an agenda with this thread, whether it's simply a wish for affirmation, rabble-rousing or a veiled rant against microtransactions..

    Really, you reply to my post where i say people have nothing better to do than trying to find sinister motives, conspiracy theories about my agenda by doing the exact same thing again? ARE YOU SHITTING ME!

    How do you know what i want or what my agenda is? How dare you insinuate anything like this, who do you think you are? You don't know anything about me!

     

     

    Interesting response i must say, and so defensive too.

    A word for the road, next you want to hear the opinions of a select group, try not to be so sensational about it. It's bound to attract a lot more sensible people if you don't start off with a hint of outrage and "how dare they do this" mentalism. Oh and try not to patronize that select group by letting them know that while they might be fine with how it is, you don't and thus it should change, nevermind that the subject has no effect on you.

     

    Ta-ta.

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

     

    "If a player-created item is selected for inclusion in the SOE Marketplace, SOE will share 40% of the net amount it receives from the sale of the item with the player that created the item."  

    Additionally, following is a list of useful third party art tools for helping to create in-game items:

    3D Modeling:

    Texturing:

     
    UPDATE: It's currently only for US citizens and you need to fill out forms sent to you by their finance department incl. some tax return papers and other things.
     
    UPDATE: According to Station Forum Thread - Joe Shoopack quote SOE will provide a separate toolset for Landmark. 
     
    UPDATE: Forum user Nadia pointed out that SOE is probably using a different sytem for Landmark content
     

    Players will be buying just that -- a template. They will get a blueprint of the item/structure/masterpiece and will have to collect the required ingredients themselves in order to actually construct it. Each blueprint will also clearly state what ingredients are necessary to make the item so players will be informed before the purchase.

    Royalties in Landmark will also work a bit differently than in the other titles in SOE's portfolio. We already know that if your item is used in the construction of another that is sold, you receive royalties based on the percentage of your item compared to the whole.

    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/11/11/everquest-next-landmark-is-gurps-for-mmos/

    Georgeson and Butler have also expanded on Landmark's in-game currency and real money economies, which will touch every aspect of play.

    Most notably, SOE's Player Studio will become a cash marketplace for player-gathered resources, plots of real estate on Landmark's servers, and player-designed building templates, which other players can buy and plop onto their land.

     

    I am not interested in creating content, i don't want to create my own game and i am just reporting this and wondering how this is fair.  Does not sound like a good deal to me.

    What do you think?

     I myself being an artist do truly like this idea. I'm going to get something out of the hardwork that I put into a project. While 40% is kind of on the low side as far as my share; it's better than nothing.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 That place, Overthere, WAPosts: 375Member
    Originally posted by Tissmogi
    Originally posted by agnostic4eve

    Name a game that let's you create items for use in a game....

    I'm waiting....

      Team Fortress 2, Dota 2 to name just two on top of my head.

    Now name one that let's you make money off of your creations....

    Still waiting....

    Team fortress creators usually get 100k or more for community items amongst other perks like a unique one time item that usually sells to collectors for a few thousand.

    Now name an indie program that let's you make a share of the profits over 15%...

    That's what this is, an Indie program. They give you the platform to make a profit, it's very simple. I see this as Sony's acceptance of Indie designers. Not only have they opened the doors for Indie Game designers, and Author's, they are also opening the door for indie Graphic Designers. What better way of finding diamonds in the rough than giving them a platform to perform on.

    Indie is the future baby, get used to it.

    What this has to do with indie games is beyond my understanding, sorry, wrong thread maybe?

     

    Yay, you named one, now name one that offers such a large percentage of your sales returned...... TF2 is not 40%

     

    And Indie games is all you got from that? If you make something for another product and are not affiliated with that product, you in fact Independent, if you make a product and do not go traditional or Trade Publishing or gain a producer for it, you are in fact Independent.

     

    Independent=Indie, not just in games, but in Indie author, Indie game design, graphic design. If you are  freelancer, you are in fact, Indie.

    If you make an item for another game and sell it on their marketplace, you are doing Indie err freelance work. Every company that offers a platform for freelancers to sell their work makes me smile, and from a freelancers perspective, 40% is VERY generous. If you want to get offended by them offering such a high rate, you really should look at the freelance market, because I really think you have no clue what you are talking about.

  • TillerTiller Portland, ORPosts: 4,921Member
    Originally posted by Agoden

    You're joking right? How many games allow you to actually make money? Barely any of them.

    The fact that you get anything at all rather then just sharing it for free is fantastic.

     

    I don't see how anyone could be upset over this.

     

    If anything we should just be upset creations are paid to begin with, but i guess thats the business model.

    Second life is it pretty much.. I see this landmark being a fantasy SL.

    image
    SWG pre-cu vet, elder Jedi, elder BH -Bloodfin

  • Vunak23Vunak23 In your house eatin'' your cookies, FLPosts: 635Member
    Originally posted by agnostic4eve
    Originally posted by Tissmogi
    Originally posted by agnostic4eve

    Name a game that let's you create items for use in a game....

    I'm waiting....

      Team Fortress 2, Dota 2 to name just two on top of my head.

    Now name one that let's you make money off of your creations....

    Still waiting....

    Team fortress creators usually get 100k or more for community items amongst other perks like a unique one time item that usually sells to collectors for a few thousand.

    Now name an indie program that let's you make a share of the profits over 15%...

    That's what this is, an Indie program. They give you the platform to make a profit, it's very simple. I see this as Sony's acceptance of Indie designers. Not only have they opened the doors for Indie Game designers, and Author's, they are also opening the door for indie Graphic Designers. What better way of finding diamonds in the rough than giving them a platform to perform on.

    Indie is the future baby, get used to it.

    What this has to do with indie games is beyond my understanding, sorry, wrong thread maybe?

     

    Yay, you named one, now name one that offers such a large percentage of your sales returned...... TF2 is not 40%

     

    And Indie games is all you got from that? If you make something for another product and are not affiliated with that product, you in fact Independent, if you make a product and do not go traditional or Trade Publishing or gain a producer for it, you are in fact Independent.

     

    Independent=Indie, not just in games, but in Indie author, Indie game design, graphic design. If you are  freelancer, you are in fact, Indie.

    If you make an item for another game and sell it on their marketplace, you are doing Indie err freelance work. Every company that offers a platform for freelancers to sell their work makes me smile, and from a freelancers perspective, 40% is VERY generous. If you want to get offended by them offering such a high rate, you really should look at the freelance market, because I really think you have no clue what you are talking about.

    OP doesn't want to see actual reality. I tried to say the same thing and he brushed it under the rug. 

    "In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

  • ChrisKnightsChrisKnights SpitalPosts: 2Member

    I swore I wouldn't post here but jesus guys, learn to read.

    All the bitching about needing maya etc DOES NOT APPLY TO LANDMARK. The Player Studio faq is outdated as it mainly contains information for EQII and PS2 which do need those things.

    Landmark is a building game, like Minecraft.

    To sell your creations you do nothing more than build it, completely in-game with the tools provided, and then you select whatever you've made that you want to sell. This then creates the template (again, all in game) and then you can list it on Player Studio for Landmark.

    So getting 40% of the selling price when all you're using is their in-game tools is insane. 

  • azarhalazarhal Somewhere, BCPosts: 760Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ChrisKnights

    I swore I wouldn't post here but jesus guys, learn to read.

    All the bitching about needing maya etc DOES NOT APPLY TO LANDMARK. The Player Studio faq is outdated as it mainly contains information for EQII and PS2 which do need those things.

    Landmark is a building game, like Minecraft.

    To sell your creations you do nothing more than build it, completely in-game with the tools provided, and then you select whatever you've made that you want to sell. This then creates the template (again, all in game) and then you can list it on Player Studio for Landmark.

    So getting 40% of the selling price when all you're using is their in-game tools is insane. 

    It's even more crazy when Landmark Player Studio is more like an Auction house, you'll be able to put bundle of resources in it. It's pretty much Diablo Real-Cash Auction House, except that half the stuff in it will be played created (templates)  as opposed to farmed. Plots of land are probably going to be more of a real estate market...

    Proof (at the end of the article):

    Georgeson and Butler have also expanded on Landmark's in-game currency and real money economies, which will touch every aspect of play. Most notably, SOE's Player Studio will become a cash marketplace for player-gathered resources, plots of real estate on Landmark's servers, and player-designed building templates, which other players can buy and plop onto their land.

    "Player Studio is part and parcel with the game," says Georgeson. "People can make money off the templates and creations they make, but that doesn’t help a harvester at all. So we’ve gone to the step of saying that they can collect resources and put bundles of resources up on Player Studio. They can also sell them for coin or just give them away if they want. So that allows them to have a submarket, a subculture that’s running through and doing all these things, and they’re getting to do the things they really love, and then the people who just want to build can just build if they want to."

     

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by ChrisKnights

    I swore I wouldn't post here but jesus guys, learn to read.

    All the bitching about needing maya etc DOES NOT APPLY TO LANDMARK. The Player Studio faq is outdated as it mainly contains information for EQII and PS2 which do need those things.

    Landmark is a building game, like Minecraft.

    true

    SOE has not given the Player Studio details for Landmark yet beyond saying it will be *different* than other games

  • MerxionMerxion Mesa, AZ, AZPosts: 73Member Common
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

     

    You are doing 100% of the work creating content, you get 40% of the sales.

    SOE does 0% of the work and gets 60% of the sales.

    Are you really saying this is fair?

    ANY other real money auction house where you sell to other players has a tax of around 10-15% not 60% SIXTY!

    To be clear you will still be 1099'd for amount that you sell that crosses the $601 mark in a calendar year.  So dont confuse this with a tax.  Call it a fee or whatever you want but calling it a tax will make you really pissed when they send you a 1099 the end of the year and you have to account for the money you made.

    Someone said that SOE gave you the software.   Thats not really true either you have to buy the game right?  I guess thats a licensing fee.  The only thing I dont care for is you have to collect all the resources in order to build it from the blueprint  If I pay real money for something in game I want something "Tangible".

  • MerxionMerxion Mesa, AZ, AZPosts: 73Member Common
    Originally 

     I myself being an artist do truly like this idea. I'm going to get something out of the hardwork that I put into a project. While 40% is kind of on the low side as far as my share; it's better than nothing.

    This is kind not correct as well.  If you are a contractor in the gaming industry.  You might get paid 1500 dollars for a really extensive piece of work.  The game company bundles that into the game itself and you never see another dime of residual.  this offers a way of getting residuals and 40% that's a much better income flow.

  • ZorgoZorgo Deepintheheartof, TXPosts: 2,226Member
    Originally posted by Tissmogi
    Originally posted by mrshroom89
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

     

    You are doing 100% of the work creating content, you get 40% of the sales.

    SOE does 0% of the work and gets 60% of the sales.

    Are you really saying this is fair?

    ANY other real money auction house where you sell to other players has a tax of around 10-15% not 60% SIXTY!

     SOE put in 200x the amount of man hours to create the game than anyone will put into making a single item.  Without the game and the tools that were created 100% by SOE you have nothing.  So no you are not doing 100% of the work you are putting inabout 10% if that of what SOE has. 

    Not sure in which fantasy world you live in but SOE does not provide any of the tools to create content. Without people creating content SOE would have NOTHING to sell (see how that argument bites you in the ass). Here is a list of tools you have to invest in to create content:

    3D Modeling:

    Texturing:

     
    Anyway, was asking what other people think, not asking to be attacked for my opinion that this is a little bit of a one sided deal.

    What?

    Ok. SOE has done nothing and you don't need them or their game for you to create content for their game. As you said, they have done 0% of the work.

    So show me an example of content you have created for their game without SOE or use of their toolset. Show me an example of completely integrated content for EQNext or Landmark utilizing the software you've listed.

    I am really interested in stepping out of my fantasy world, and into what you consider reality.

     

  • Vunak23Vunak23 In your house eatin'' your cookies, FLPosts: 635Member
    Originally posted by Merxion
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

     

    You are doing 100% of the work creating content, you get 40% of the sales.

    SOE does 0% of the work and gets 60% of the sales.

    Are you really saying this is fair?

    ANY other real money auction house where you sell to other players has a tax of around 10-15% not 60% SIXTY!

    To be clear you will still be 1099'd for amount that you sell that crosses the $601 mark in a calendar year.  So dont confuse this with a tax.  Call it a fee or whatever you want but calling it a tax will make you really pissed when they send you a 1099 the end of the year and you have to account for the money you made.

    Someone said that SOE gave you the software.   Thats not really true either you have to buy the game right?  I guess thats a licensing fee.  The only thing I dont care for is you have to collect all the resources in order to build it from the blueprint  If I pay real money for something in game I want something "Tangible".

    Except the game is free and its a game... not a development kit. It just so happens that you CAN make money from that game. It is not a requirement. Game... you know those things people play for fun. 

    If anyone plans on going into Landmark with the sole purpose of making a killing through the toolset...they are sadly mistaken. 

    "In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

  • DrakephireDrakephire Fontana, CAPosts: 445Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

     

    You are doing 100% of the work creating content, you get 40% of the sales.

    SOE does 0% of the work and gets 60% of the sales.

    Are you really saying this is fair?

    ANY other real money auction house where you sell to other players has a tax of around 10-15% not 60% SIXTY!

     

     

    Okay, this is utterly ridiculous.  I've said this already, but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Do you guys know how much an author gets when ever book is sold? It's 10%. For an actor, 10 to 20% of the overall budget, plus a smaller percentage royalty.  So some of you closet Picassos think you deserve MORE than 40% when proven, talented artists typically earn a far smaller percentage.  talk about hubris on your part.

     

     

  • mmorpgcom01mmorpgcom01 Bad SalzungenPosts: 1Member

    I am a published author and i stumbled upon this thread by accident. I created an account because i felt that there was some misinformation present. People have repeatedly said authors get 10% royalties, if this was true i would have long quit and got a regular job.

    I get a significant signing bonus if i sell my script or novel to a book publisher. On top of that i get royalties for digital and physical units sold on a regular basis. The signing bonus depends on the subject and popularity or what the publisher perceives as currently popular and can range from a low $10.000 to an extremely generous $500.000 and in rare cases more. The royalties vary depending on reseller, Amazon for example typically takes 55%; others are as low as 30%. Digital royalties are somewhat different because they like to keep prices low to reduce piracy. Self published i would end up with 50-60%, i can speak from experience since i have done this once but prefer publishing deals for reasons i will explain in a minute.

    If you can even compare the two, i understand that what Sony is doing here is simply taking a digital item like a digital book and putting it on their sales platform. 

    This is completely different to a book deal. With a publishing contract come a huge amount of invaluable perks such as advertising, interviews, book signings, printing the book, distribution and PR.

    From my point of view, if i understood this correctly, a split of 60% for the artist does seem more appropriate. Of cause as i said before, i do not know how much work it is to create this digital art and how difficult it is for Sony to put it up for sale, however i can imagine that Sony has the sales platform already in place for their other products.

    It has been quite an interesting thread i must say and i wish all the aspiring artists good luck with their creations. Don't sell yourself too cheap.

  • DrakephireDrakephire Fontana, CAPosts: 445Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mmorpgcom01

    I am a published author and i stumbled upon this thread by accident. I created an account because i felt that there was some misinformation present. People have repeatedly said authors get 10% royalties, if this was true i would have long quit and got a regular job.

    I get a significant signing bonus if i sell my script or novel to a book publisher. On top of that i get royalties for digital and physical units sold on a regular basis. The signing bonus depends on the subject and popularity or what the publisher perceives as currently popular and can range from a low $10.000 to an extremely generous $500.000 and in rare cases more. The royalties vary depending on reseller, Amazon for example typically takes 55%; others are as low as 30%. Digital royalties are somewhat different because they like to keep prices low to reduce piracy. Self published i would end up with 50-60%, i can speak from experience since i have done this once but prefer publishing deals for reasons i will explain in a minute.

    If you can even compare the two, i understand that what Sony is doing here is simply taking a digital item like a digital book and putting it on their sales platform. 

    This is completely different to a book deal. With a publishing contract come a huge amount of invaluable perks such as advertising, interviews, book signings, printing the book, distribution and PR.

    From my point of view, if i understood this correctly, a split of 60% for the artist does seem more appropriate. Of cause as i said before, i do not know how much work it is to create this digital art and how difficult it is for Sony to put it up for sale, however i can imagine that Sony has the sales platform already in place for their other products.

    It has been quite an interesting thread i must say and i wish all the aspiring artists good luck with their creations. Don't sell yourself too cheap.

    Yeah. Sure you are. Whose sockpuppet are you? Come on, tell the truth. If you were a real author, you'd know advances go against future earnings. Any sort of premium paid above that happens only for the likes of Stephen King, J.K. Rowling, none of which are in residence here I can assure you. B-listers and below don't receive this generous reward. Your entire post smacks of someone who researched on wikipedia rather than have any real-world practical experience. 

    Also, advertising, interviews, book signings....all of these things ARE PR. So your redundancy speaks to something other than the care a true author would give in crafting a sentence. And I'd hardly call the printing of the actual book a perk. It's the frickin' point of publishing in the first place.

  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 That place, Overthere, WAPosts: 375Member
    Originally posted by mmorpgcom01

    I am a published author and i stumbled upon this thread by accident. I created an account because i felt that there was some misinformation present. People have repeatedly said authors get 10% royalties, if this was true i would have long quit and got a regular job.

    I get a significant signing bonus if i sell my script or novel to a book publisher. On top of that i get royalties for digital and physical units sold on a regular basis. The signing bonus depends on the subject and popularity or what the publisher perceives as currently popular and can range from a low $10.000 to an extremely generous $500.000 and in rare cases more. The royalties vary depending on reseller, Amazon for example typically takes 55%; others are as low as 30%. Digital royalties are somewhat different because they like to keep prices low to reduce piracy. Self published i would end up with 50-60%, i can speak from experience since i have done this once but prefer publishing deals for reasons i will explain in a minute.

    If you can even compare the two, i understand that what Sony is doing here is simply taking a digital item like a digital book and putting it on their sales platform. 

    This is completely different to a book deal. With a publishing contract come a huge amount of invaluable perks such as advertising, interviews, book signings, printing the book, distribution and PR.

    From my point of view, if i understood this correctly, a split of 60% for the artist does seem more appropriate. Of cause as i said before, i do not know how much work it is to create this digital art and how difficult it is for Sony to put it up for sale, however i can imagine that Sony has the sales platform already in place for their other products.

    It has been quite an interesting thread i must say and i wish all the aspiring artists good luck with their creations. Don't sell yourself too cheap.

    This is a good post, but slightly misleading to people who aren't authors.
    Most Novels, unless you are Stephen King or J.K. Rowling have advances of 5k-15k, and the advance is just that, an advance. Once your novel makes enough to pay back your advance, you will make more, but unless it becomes a best seller, most writers don't ever make more than the advance. Writers contracts vary from Agent to Agent, Publisher to Publisher, the agent(if you have one) takes a percentage of what you make after the Publisher gives you your cut, usually 10-20% of total sales, 20% is a high figure and only those 'Always Bestseller' Authors make it. Agents can also pursue a Movie deal for extra income on the piece, not all agents can do this though.

    Self-Published Authors make varied amounts depending on which platform they sell on. Sony, Smashwords, iBooks, Barnes & Noble all give 60%. Amazon gives 70% if you own sole rights to worldwide distribute and list you E-Book at 2.99 or higher, otherwise, they return 35%.

    Most Published Authors make more per book than Self-Published because marketing is handled by the publishing house. Self-Publishers go their own route with blog interviews, paying for their own ads and so forth. I could seriously go on for days on this topic.

    The high figures are usually only for scripts which are optioned and then move forward into production, most that get optioned never do pass this stage, there are many different methods used for optioning and these usually depend on the size of the production company. The highest ever sold, that I am aware of was, and my information is a bit old as I have stopped caring a while ago was Long Kiss Goodnight which sold for around 4million. Most scripts sell for less than 100k, if they are purchased at all, everyone and their dog has a script these days and getting past the slushpile is next to impossible unless you have contacts already in the biz.

     

    Back on track, I have been in Freelance work for awhile, 40% for making a model and offering on someone else's platform is reasonable, I wouldn't say 'Mouthwatering' but reasonable.

  • Covet78Covet78 ottawa, ONPosts: 142Member Uncommon

    How is this False thread still active? I can't believe all the misinformation

     

    First off, SOE is not getting a 60% cut. What the OP linked is a standard FAQ for outsourced purchasing made by SOE for their games. This has nothing to do with Landmark.

     

    2nd off, this is a very generous percentage for a model from any company. The artists working at SOE do not get paid 40%.. they get much less.

  • WarleyWarley Jackson, MIPosts: 376Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

    I love that so many people are defending SOE in this like they're doing a good thing because you're using their tools, etc.

    In NO OTHER part of the world or industry in the world are the "shop" fees or cut that high.  Whether you're a sculptor using the shop kiln, a hairdresser at a hair solon using their seats, building, etc,  a realtor using an office at re-max, etc

    NONE of them have fees that are 60%.

    PRO: You get to play a game and have fun creating things!

    PRO: You get to sell your creations that you enjoyed creating to make some money!

    PRO: The creations not only get instant recognition in the game world, but are also a great portfolio piece for aspiring game developers or game developers that are currently unemployed.

    PRO: Everyone that plays EQ Next will have tons more content to check out in the game world!

    CONS: You have to hear people b?tch about something. If it was 10% for SOE/90% for player you'd complain about something else with this.

     

  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,201Member Uncommon

    The Twitch.tv EQ:NL 11.13.13 preview mentioned how the content is created and sold.

    People will create structures that they build and then they will save those templates. Those templates can be sold on the Station Store. David Georgeson mentioned this late in the video. According to Georgeson you can add to a purchased template, but not change it.

    So this isn't really like the existing PlayerStudio (we already knew that). It's more like using game design tools to create pieces of a game world. At this point it doesn't seem like players will be creating props. I got the impression that the SoE team will be creating those, though they didn't really detail the extent or limitation of the creation system.

  • jerlot65jerlot65 Lake Mary, FLPosts: 788Member
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

     

    You are doing 100% of the work creating content, you get 40% of the sales.

    SOE does 0% of the work and gets 60% of the sales.

    Are you really saying this is fair?

    ANY other real money auction house where you sell to other players has a tax of around 10-15% not 60% SIXTY!

    Apparently Sony did not and will never spend money creating and maintaining THE tool you will be using using to make your creations...............

    Oh and I am sure Sony doesnt spend any money on storing, processing,distributing, and completing purcheses for your "artwork".

    Really stop it. And BTW, auction houses charge alot more then just 10-15% if they do anything but set your piece up for sale at a multi auction place.

    image
  • MargulisMargulis Glendale, AZPosts: 1,614Member
    Originally posted by Agoden

    You're joking right? How many games allow you to actually make money? Barely any of them.

    The fact that you get anything at all rather then just sharing it for free is fantastic.

     

    I don't see how anyone could be upset over this.

     

    If anything we should just be upset creations are paid to begin with, but i guess thats the business model.

     

    I don't know of any other mmo's that have me make the game content for them either......

     

    What a nice trick - have the gamers PAY to work FOR you, then give them just a little back to make em feel real special.  Based on a lot of the posts here, their little gimmick worked quite well. 

  • TuchakaTuchaka san diego, CAPosts: 468Member
    Those bastards a corporation is actually trying to make money !   oh wait that's what they do....carry on. Unless a group of people is literally being exploited *snoozers* is my response.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,652Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Margulis

    I don't know of any other mmo's that have me make the game content for them either......

    What a nice trick - have the gamers PAY to work FOR you, then give them just a little back to make em feel real special.  Based on a lot of the posts here, their little gimmick worked quite well. 

    Can you link to where you got that players are making the game or that the game would be incomplete without player-created content?

     

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • StarIStarI waka wakaPosts: 924Member Uncommon

    The day when they announced Landmark for the first time I wasn't happy at all in the lines that they want content made for "free" and so I decided I'd rather wait for full game to come out and let others do stuff for them; even if it's fun on the way it's a principle thing when they would make money out of what I would potentially create, even if it's their tools.

    Now this move with the 40% you're saying they offer sounds pretty generous to be honest and I welcome it! (haven't looked at it in details tho).

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by StarI

    Now this move with the 40% you're saying they offer sounds pretty generous to be honest and I welcome it! (haven't looked at it in details tho).

    Op is wrong -- and has corrected his post  (but not the title)

    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/399558/Landmark-Player-Studio.html

     

    on side note, PStudio with its "40%" has existed for over a year

    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/06/create-and-sell-your-own-in-game-items-with-soes-player-studi/

    I don't understand why gamers are up in arms now

    especially when SOE has already stated Landmark will have *different* player studio royalties

Sign In or Register to comment.