Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

EverQuest Next: Landmark: News Board Explores the Founders' Packs

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,658MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

'Zoran the Bear' has released a new video that discusses the recently announced Founder's Packages for EverQuest Next. He discusses the things he believes are great and some things he feels are troublesome.

Check it out and let us know what you think!

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• donkey1314edonkey1314e Charleston WV, WVPosts: 5Member
    Yeah but u forgot u get into landmark alpha u get into eqnext alpha too. If I rember right.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIPosts: 1,411Member Uncommon

This is a good video.

I've always been against obtaining "exclusive content" outside of the game, e.g., pre-order rewards, convention rewards, CE rewards, cross-promotion rewards.

I remember wanted the "Skaven Cloak" in Warhammer Online (It turned my character into a walking rat). I saw another player wearing it. I got excited! I asked him where he had looted it. He had told me that the only way to obtain one was to attend a local major Warhammer convention - usually held on the other side of the country.

I was upset. I felt like I was missing part of the game. In fact, I was angry.

I'd like to see games drop this "temporary / exclusive item" garbage. I know they make money with it. However, it just rings wrong with many - especially those who join the game late.

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by donkey1314e
    Yeah but u forgot u get into landmark alpha u get into eqnext alpha too. If I rember right.

i believe the founder packs will be completely seperate but i'm not sure

http://www.reddit.com/user/terryjmichaels

Originally posted by Dauzqul

I'd like to see games drop this "temporary / exclusive item" garbage. I know they make money with it. However, it just rings wrong with many - especially those who join the game late.

this problem also exists w Collectors editions

or sidegame promotions - like WOW loot cards or EQ2 LON cards

• HedeonHedeon GraestedPosts: 954Member Uncommon

havent read that you would get into EQN "the real game" alpha/beta - ofc could be wrong but atleast I commented to a friend yesterday.....bet I ll end up pay 100$ for beta access to both EQN: L and EQN

atleast that is what I expect they will do, in the founders pack list they do not list EQN beta access as one of the things you buy

• Ender4Ender4 milwaukee, WIPosts: 2,253Member

I'm pretty indifferent towards it as long as they are temporary or cosmetic things. Every time I've gotten something special for pre-ordering or whatever it has ended up being useless after the first 2 weeks of playing the game. If it is cosmetic people know you just blew cash on it so it loses any flair it had plus half the server runs around with it. If it is functional they always make sure that it isn't super high quality.

The pick they give is a good example. Sure it can harvest any tier of wood but it is the lowest rank so it takes longer to harvest. At some point you will outgrow this pick and it will just be taking up space in your vault or deleted, it just isn't a huge deal to me.

• bazingabazinga BazingaPosts: 31Member Common

What kind of a news site are you? Not showing the epic gameplay demo they gave on twitch yesterday?!

• NatjurNatjur WellingtonPosts: 124Member

They said in a video that there will be no cross over between Everquest Next and Everquest Landmark. (they will improve both and new tech in one will help the other, but there will be no player cross over)

You will have to get an account in each and resourcesitems do not cross over.

Landmark will be used by the devs to build Everquest Next. So if you want to play a story based MMO, do not buy the packs in Landmark. But if you like building then get Landmark.

Personelly I will be playing both

Also they answered on twitter. AlphaBeta access in landmark does NOT give ANY access at all to the full MMO Everquest Next

Theses packs, most of the items will be useless quickly, but you are BUYING access to Alpha

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Aurora, ILPosts: 2,656Member Uncommon
    Unfortunately this is the price you pay for F2P. It was so much less complicated when it was standard and collector's editions AT retail. I like a little physical swag to go along with my digital keepsakes. Oh well, here's hoping EQN will have a physical collector's edition.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Baltimore, MDPosts: 310Member
    and lets talk about the elephant in the room. SoE hasn't hasn't always had the best track record for releasing things the way they are advertised before launch.  Anyone remember the hype about the cool new way to make armor for Everquest II and how easy it was going to be for them just flood the game with tons of unique armor once the game launched?  I bought it site unseen and was really pissed when they said, "Sorry, but we aren't able to do the things we said we would in our pre-beta promotional videos and pictures, oh and those videos weren't representing the finished product so we have your money now but we're not exactly giving you the product you thought you were buying".
  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,223Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

this problem also exists w Collectors editions

or sidegame promotions - like WOW loot cards or EQ2 LON cards

Or conventions like SoE Live, BlizzCon, and the more general conventions where you get exclusive stuff for paying and attending. It's been like this for a long long time. I remember as a kid how bad I wanted to attend GenCon because of all the cool swag they handed out.

On a side note: I think it's funny how pretty much anyone who makes a YouTube video gets serious attention. It's like the 90's when the net was taking off and anyone with a site or personal blog was considered an authority. And we're taking random person's opinion seriously why?

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,223Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Unfortunately this is the price you pay for F2P. It was so much less complicated when it was standard and collector's editions AT retail. I like a little physical swag to go along with my digital keepsakes. Oh well, here's hoping EQN will have a physical collector's edition.

How is this any more complicated than how a collector's edition has always been offered? Pay more, get perks. The perks being physical or digital doesn't really make one more or less complicated to me.

• RidrithRidrith Mountain View, ARPosts: 336Member Uncommon
    People just want something to gripe about.  "WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!"  It's a glorified collectors edition, if you can't afford any of the packs that's fine...  Move on, you won't get the extra perks.  It's not going to ruin the game for you.  Calm down.
  • reillanreillan Tulsa, OKPosts: 234Member Uncommon
    It's so tempting to buy the medium pack just to get Alpha access, but the game is nothing but a glorified Minecraft, and I hate Minecraft. :)
  • Ender4Ender4 milwaukee, WIPosts: 2,253Member

Premium packs have been around since the early day of MUDs so this is something with a long long history to it. As long as the items are mostly fluff it really isn't some big deal.

• VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,121Member Uncommon

If that were true, then why not state it specifically in the founders packs?  Why be obscure about it by announcing it months ago during some interview or maybe they got greedy and changed their minds and saw an opportunity to offer separate founders packs for each game.

In fact,  I could have sworn that Landmark was originally slated as nothing more than a toolbox so people could get a taste of EQN during the long wait, then somehow it turned into a separate game.  Didn't they also say that some of the things players created in Landmark would show up in EQN, essentially using the player base itself to create content for EQN for free and now it seems for a profit?

Originally posted by Vorthanion

In fact,  I could have sworn that Landmark was originally slated as nothing more than a toolbox so people could get a taste of EQN during the long wait, then somehow it turned into a separate game.  

Didn't they also say that some of the things players created in Landmark would show up in EQN, essentially using the player base itself to create content for EQN for free and now it seems for a profit?

at SOE Live, during the weekend,

the Landmark panel made it clear it was full blown mmorpg

August 4rth writeup

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/04/soe-live-2013-delving-deeper-into-eqns-landmark/

• VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,121Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

In fact,  I could have sworn that Landmark was originally slated as nothing more than a toolbox so people could get a taste of EQN during the long wait, then somehow it turned into a separate game.  

Didn't they also say that some of the things players created in Landmark would show up in EQN, essentially using the player base itself to create content for EQN for free and now it seems for a profit?

at SOE Live, during the weekend,

the Landmark panel made it clear it was full blown mmorpg

August 4rth writeup

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/04/soe-live-2013-delving-deeper-into-eqns-landmark/

I'm talking about when Landmark was first announced to exist, which was well before August.

• SteelhelmSteelhelm LahtiPosts: 44Member

http://www.twitch.tv/everquestnext/b/479480042

here's some of the landmark gameplay beginning around 19:00

i think that looks pretty awesome

• KyllienKyllien Renton, WAPosts: 315Member
    The guy narrating the video seems a bit bitter when it comes to SOE treating these as two seperate games.  Yes you can buy a Trailblazer Pack for $99.  This may or may not transfer over to EQ: Next.  Should they decide to do the same thing with EQ: Next and they grandfather the Landmark founders packages in, and as long as you can also purchase and upgrade your founders status in EQ: Next then what is the loss?  We will just have to wait and see won't we.