Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Helm's Deep NDA lifted...

13»

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingPosts: 2,717Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lithuanian

When I start to think about Trait Trees (TT) - I understand that I am totally lost. They are over-complicated and no clear explanation given.

Example: I have 8 trait slots and only 3 are unlocked.

You shouldn't feel lost, it will be straightforward as a highway, no complication and no brainwork needed (sadly...)

Or maybe... I mean 8 slots? :) You have only 7 :) (sorry, I couldn't miss that)

If you unlock the rest of them, it will stay open after 18th as well. I'm not on the beta so I can't say the prices after HD. Maybe it will be cheaper, but I highly doubt it. You'll get all 3 trees for free, and 2 slots to save your tree setup (with option to purchase additional slots via mithril coin)

Racial traits and Virtues won't change this time.

Legendaries, it's an issue indeed. There won't be a separate legendary slot after HD, so the previously purchased slots are a waste (if I got that correctly).

Housing chests, as an earlier forum post stated it's advisable to purchase your chests before 18th with gold.

edit: missed the last one, you can't upgrade a house, if you want a bigger one you have to leave the current one and buy a bigger one (you can have only 1 house at a time, and a kin house if you're the kin leader). Small house has 1 chest, big has 2, and kinship house has 3.

edit2: also worth noting, since you're on f2p: the class trait deeds will be gone as well, so no more easy TP's from them... Turbine just got rid of 9x24 (+the legendaries) options of earning free TP. The cheap bastards :) 

(ok, I only added it for the lolz, but I heard it from a devoted TP-farming f2p player, and while it's hilarious, it's a also valid side-effect of the HD change)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by Lithuanian

When I start to think about Trait Trees (TT) - I understand that I am totally lost. They are over-complicated and no clear explanation given.

Example: I have 8 trait slots and only 3 are unlocked.

You shouldn't feel lost, it will be straightforward as a highway, no complication and no brainwork needed (sadly...)

Or maybe... I mean 8 slots? :) You have only 7 :) (sorry, I couldn't miss that)

If you unlock the rest of them, it will stay open after 18th as well. I'm not on the beta so I can't say the prices after HD. Maybe it will be cheaper, but I highly doubt it. You'll get all 3 trees for free, and 2 slots to save your tree setup (with option to purchase additional slots via mithril coin)

Racial traits and Virtues won't change this time.

Legendaries, it's an issue indeed. There won't be a separate legendary slot after HD, so the previously purchased slots are a waste (if I got that correctly).

Housing chests, as an earlier forum post stated it's advisable to purchase your chests before 18th with gold.

edit: missed the last one, you can't upgrade a house, if you want a bigger one you have to leave the current one and buy a bigger one (you can have only 1 house at a time, and a kin house if you're the kin leader). Small house has 1 chest, big has 2, and kinship house has 3.

edit2: also worth noting, since you're on f2p: the class trait deeds will be gone as well, so no more easy TP's from them... Turbine just got rid of 9x24 (+the legendaries) options of earning free TP. The cheap bastards :) 

(ok, I only added it for the lolz, but I heard it from a devoted TP-farming f2p player, and while it's hilarious, it's a also valid side-effect of the HD change)

They actually need to refund all that TP spend on this..

If they remove something from the game that i purchased, i want my money back. I dont think anyone at Turbine tought about this. But if they take the slots out of the game (and they will) they need to refund the TP people spend on this.. giving something different in its place does not work...

I am very interested how this will be handled.  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

I don't think Turbine will refund anything, it'd be highly unlikely from them :)

But it affects only the legendary traits, virtues and racial traits will be the same, and your 7 class trait slots will replaced by the 7 trait tree bonuses you'll get as you go deeper into a given tree. So any purchased class trait slots will transferred to unlocked tree bonus slots (or at least that's what I've heard, since I know nobody who's in beta with a f2p account...)

The 3 legendary slots of today, that's the big question, since they don't have a place in the new system. Or maybe there is, since there were posts that the 7 new trait bonus slot in the new system are not equal the 7 class trait slots, it's actually from 5class+2legendary. I'm not sure if it's the case. If it's true, then it means f2p players won't have any trait bonus slots at the start :)

(presently f2p's have 2 class and 1 legendary for free, and have to purchase 5 class and 2 legendary for full access. If the trait bonus slots really are coming from those 5+2 slots, then Turbine won't have to refund anything, and your previous purchases are delivered to the new system one by one. And with it, the f2p players won't have any, their 3 free slots will be the ones that gets removed. Lol)

Edit: it'd be nice to know for certain, since trait slots are now on a 25% sale. If the 7 bonus slots are from the 7 class slots, then buying legendary slots now is a waste of purchase. If the 5+2 setup is the correct one, then it's a good time to unlock those 5 class and 2 legendary slots with 25% less. Sadly I red this 5+2 only on a post, and not in an official statement...

• Dren_UtogiDren_Utogi OuterSpacePosts: 1,710Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I will say this to clarify. The design pattern, flow, and approach between each major expansion isn't very cohesive. Each expansion region is mostly well designed, but when put together as a whole their play and feel don't flow well. You have one style of content approach in SoA, another in Moria, another in RoR, etc. That is all.

I will disagree with this. I found the content flow to be very well done. Being able to ride from Bree to the opening quests for Moria, is pretty epic and very good flow. Once in Moria, well, It;s Moria, you go in one end and come out the other into the Golden Woods, but before you can entter the woods you need to earn the trust of the Elves.

After the Woods you head to Mirkwood's , which is an amzing zone to play through in dx11.

Why people keep saying the Linear road of the original game is good is beyond me, it is like they are trying to say they don't like to explore ior LotRO shouldn't have so many possible new regions to play through. Makes me wonder the intent in such an opinion.

If you look at the respective flow of the SoA, it leads you in one direction, to the Witch King. If you look to flow of content released after SoA, a player can pick a path they want to travel. You don't need to do Moria if you don'twant to, because there is quests in Enenwath that lead you south into the Dunland which goes into Rohan.

This idea that SoA was better in delivering flow and content in my opinion is misleading if you are talking about the architecture of the word "flow". I for one love the wide open way I can travel Middle earth over the linear path of the Original released game.

I think if you level up and play through Rohan , you willsee a l ot of great content things like the Warbands, open world raid bosses and ect.

reviews are !@#$ing stupid. Play what you love.

• BMBenderBMBender Nowhere, NCPosts: 568Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Dren_Utogi

I will say this to clarify. The design pattern, flow, and approach between each major expansion isn't very cohesive. Each expansion region is mostly well designed, but when put together as a whole their play and feel don't flow well. You have one style of content approach in SoA, another in Moria, another in RoR, etc. That is all.

I will disagree with this. I found the content flow to be very well done. Being able to ride from Bree to the opening quests for Moria, is pretty epic and very good flow. Once in Moria, well, It;s Moria, you go in one end and come out the other into the Golden Woods, but before you can entter the woods you need to earn the trust of the Elves.

After the Woods you head to Mirkwood's , which is an amzing zone to play through in dx11.

Why people keep saying the Linear road of the original game is good is beyond me, it is like they are trying to say they don't like to explore ior LotRO shouldn't have so many possible new regions to play through. Makes me wonder the intent in such an opinion.

If you look at the respective flow of the SoA, it leads you in one direction, to the Witch King. If you look to flow of content released after SoA, a player can pick a path they want to travel. You don't need to do Moria if you don'twant to, because there is quests in Enenwath that lead you south into the Dunland which goes into Rohan.

This idea that SoA was better in delivering flow and content in my opinion is misleading if you are talking about the architecture of the word "flow". I for one love the wide open way I can travel Middle earth over the linear path of the Original released game.

I think if you level up and play through Rohan , you willsee a l ot of great content things like the Warbands, open world raid bosses and ect.

I assume he is referring to the dichotomy of dead and ignored supporting systems introduced then left to die on the vine.  It can lead to a stop and jerk feel

incomparable conparbles;    hobbies; Radience;  LI's (exits now only as a store tie-in); Skirmishes limping along but no huge support for it; Mounted Combat I probably missed a few

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,455Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BMBender

I assume he is referring to the dichotomy of dead and ignored supporting systems introduced then left to die on the vine.  It can lead to a stop and jerk feel

incomparable conparbles;    hobbies; Radience;  LI's (exits now only as a store tie-in); Skirmishes limping along but no huge support for it; Mounted Combat I probably missed a few

It's an important point.

Though one can still have access to skirmishes. It's possible there  will still be mounted combat as there is more to Helm's Deep.

Radiance was taken out so that isn't in the equation anymore. hobbies? I don't remember when the last time that was mentioned so that's a shame.

Originally posted by Sovrath

It's an important point.

Though one can still have access to skirmishes. It's possible there  will still be mounted combat as there is more to Helm's Deep.

Radiance was taken out so that isn't in the equation anymore. hobbies? I don't remember when the last time that was mentioned so that's a shame.

I mentioned radiance since a lot of the old radiance pieces never really got a balance pass in line with normal gear after the systems removal.  This could, of course, have been changed since the last time I had a char running the relevant content.

It's an important point.

I agree... poor hobbies in plural, and fishing is still waiting at least 1 additional hobby to have a company on the hobby list...

Honestly, I don't mind that radiance is gone, gear (as in grind) locked content is never a bright idea. Not that finesse would be any better... :)

LI, never liked it right from Moria, but what's even more funny: many of those who loved it in the beginning, lately ditching the system as well, keeping the trusty SA 75 and don't even waste the time for reforging it. LI grind sucks big time.

Originally posted by BMBender I assume he is referring to the dichotomy of dead and ignored supporting systems introduced then left to die on the vine.  It can lead to a stop and jerk feel  incomparable conparbles;    hobbies; Radience;  LI's (exits now only as a store tie-in); Skirmishes limping along but no huge support for it; Mounted Combat I probably missed a few
    Radience woked in Moria, It took EVERYONE alot of time to get gear, but with that said , those arguments have been done and gone and itemization continues.

Hobbies, I used in rohan for a quest. Also Hobbies are just that... a hobby one can partakein without the need of reinforced quests . It is a social tool as much as a game mechanic in my opinion. I know of no game that has decent hobby system other then Lineage 2.

Legendary items drop everywhere all the time. If you are a free to play player, then es, you will rely on the store over VIP players.

Mounted Combat is purly subjective , if you like it or not. I personally lve it and it adds another amazing roleplaying notch on my Roham born character.

Skirmish system, is used ever day by almost everyone to go into instances. To say it is limping along in my opinion is a fallacy.

I;ve not seen one system in the game ignored, revamped yes, but never ignored. If you can give me an exact example of ignored / forgotten system I would be happy to give a rebuttal.

Name the new skirmishes added since the systems inception

Name the new hobby added since the systems inception

LI's name a feature that's not a direct store tie in

Mounted Combat name the new MC content added with HD

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,205Member Uncommon

Originally posted by rojo6934

Originally posted by rojo6934
    will the new skill system be a general update or only people who own Helms Deep will see the new skill system? The classes and their skills is the only reason i cant play Lotro. I would like to try the new skill system but im not purchasing an expansion just to try that out.

It's a complete game change. Combat revamps have historically always been part of the entire game update.

The Epic on the other hand is tied to the xpac this time.

im very interested in that combat revamp. This could be what makes me play Lotro.

There are two different things happening on this level. One is a combat revamp that should speed up combat and give it a more active feel. I think this will be good for the game. The other is the class changes. Depending on the class, and it will be very subjective, the changes may be nice or total rubbish. For my hunter I think I might like the class changes, or at least not hate them unless I just don't like the feel of combat period. For my lore-master, which is my most beloved class, this could pretty much ruin it for me. Orion's minstrel update totally ruined that class for me as well, but since it was my third class (after LM and Hunter), I could deal with it.

It's an important point.

I mentioned radiance since a lot of the old radiance pieces never really got a balance pass in line with normal gear after the systems removal.  This could, of course, have been changed since the last time I had a char running the relevant content.

Well, in my opinion, radiance was a total cluster because dread and hope worked fine in Shadows. They tried to use that as raid gating mechanism which was soundly rejected because it really added nothing to the raid game. So that wasn't so much a lingerer, like hobbies, housing, etc, as it was just a total fail.

I was referring to those lingering systems, but more so how the content was designed within each expansion. The way your character progressed through content and how you moved through them is different which would be okay if they transitioned well. So in Shadows you started in solo zones with a few group spots to explore along the way. If you followed the story it would lead you to the group instance of the zone - Breeland Barrows; North Downs - Fornost and Dol Dinen; up to Angmar and Urugarth and Carn Dum. It sorted started going wrong when they bolted on Helegrod. Even though that was a very fun raid, it started the whole bolt on shift directions type of design.

The progression deliver was sort of like this: quest and craft for teal gear, flesh out your traits, and then hunt for these cool and rare items in the group instances: The lore-master staff in Carn Dum or the bow in Barad Guluran. The instances were wrapped up in the story so didn't feel like a "dungeon run" but still had these cool items you wanted.

Fast forward to Moria. Old progression is abandoned and new progression moved to LIs. Itemization is less about hunting cool rare treasures in specific instances, although there were a few of those in some instances, and more about repeatedly running a specific set of instances to unlock the raid.

Mirkwood was sort of a Moria style design, but with not a lot of progression. By this time token grind is in full force and the purpose was to grind those to gear up.

And the trend goes forward through the expansions where at best progression lingers a little, or is shifted to another "item", while the previous progression style just sort of dangles. So it's horses in Rohan, for example with interesting LI features sort of just cruising along.

None of these are necessarily bad in themselves, although I think some are poorly implemented (LIs), but that they're bolted together with little to no integration. Then you have skirms. How do those even fit in with the rest of the design? They're fun, but again,not well integrated.

Turbine's entire design history is riddled with this. I feel it provides a disjointed game experience and flow. Look at other games like Aion, EQ2, and WoW. They all have a little of this to some degree, but overall their systems all fit together and the games as a whole fit. They don't feel bolted together. It doesn't make LotRO unplayable, but it's indicative of their poor corporate culture, and why I blame the Paiz couple especially for this, even though some of it is Steefel's fault too. I think it's heavily due to how they've mostly been about the money and less about trying to design the coolest Middle-earth possible. That's my perspective at least.

Name the new skirmishes added since the systems inception

Name the new hobby added since the systems inception

LI's name a feature that's not a direct store tie in

Mounted Combat name the new MC content added with HD

every major instance you complete is in the skirmish panel.

What hobbies have you suggested to Turbine ?

I dont understand your thrid point.....

I;ve not played HD, so I can't say.....

"Will Eastfold support mounted combat?
    A: Yes but only 1/8th of Eastfold will support mounted combat due to the dense collection of trees and foliage."

Q: How much of the expansion supports mounted combat?
    A: 75% of the regional divisions will support mounted combat. Eastfold not so much because its tucked into the forest.

http://cstm.mymiddleearth.com/2013/09/lotro-helms-deep-first-look/

Turbine's entire design history is riddled with this. I feel it provides a disjointed game experience and flow. Look at other games like Aion, EQ2, and WoW. They all have a little of this to some degree, but overall their systems all fit together and the games as a whole fit. They don't feel bolted together. It doesn't make LotRO unplayable, but it's indicative of their poor corporate culture, and why I blame the Paiz couple especially for this, even though some of it is Steefel's fault too. I think it's heavily due to how they've mostly been about the money and less about trying to design the coolest Middle-earth possible. That's my perspective at least.

I disagree 100% . this is were you are trying to limit the game to be something it isn;t. If this is not the system you want, play one of the other games that have that system ?

I love the way Turbine continues to progress in itemization, fine tuning there token systems and making armour reachable for all players. Maybe because their is no true elitist system in LotrO, you feel unrewarded ?

I;m a community player, the more people who can get cool things is awesome = less elitism in a community, the better that community grows. It is obvious from the past posts, that you are not a community driven player, but an elitist, and there is nothing wrong with that and many games support that metality, it just isn't LotRo

every major instance you complete is in the skirmish panel.

What hobbies have you suggested to Turbine ?

I dont understand your thrid point.....

I;ve not played HD, so I can't say.....

"Will Eastfold support mounted combat?
    A: Yes but only 1/8th of Eastfold will support mounted combat due to the dense collection of trees and foliage."

Q: How much of the expansion supports mounted combat?
    A: 75% of the regional divisions will support mounted combat. Eastfold not so much because its tucked into the forest.

http://cstm.mymiddleearth.com/2013/09/lotro-helms-deep-first-look/

ok I'm guessing language barrier here, instances are not skirmishes, but since you raised the point name the new instance or cluster added with HD  (BB's are a completely different mechanic not an instance)  However there have been a couple of skirms added over the years Sy I said limping not dead.

Hobbies there have been countless threads on the suggestion  forum for years gathering dust

LI's: fair enough tastes and definitions differ

MC: I guess I could have been more specific and said feature instead of content as some people do indeed consider new terrain = new content;  fair enough

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,205Member Uncommon

I disagree 100% . this is were you are trying to limit the game to be something it isn;t. If this is not the system you want, play one of the other games that have that system ?

I love the way Turbine continues to progress in itemization, fine tuning there token systems and making armour reachable for all players. Maybe because their is no true elitist system in LotrO, you feel unrewarded ?

I;m a community player, the more people who can get cool things is awesome = less elitism in a community, the better that community grows. It is obvious from the past posts, that you are not a community driven player, but an elitist, and there is nothing wrong with that and many games support that metality, it just isn't LotRo

Yes, that's why I still have an active community forum account with over 5000 posts and you're banned and unwelcome there. Signed Fyrebrand.

True elitests? guessing you missed SOA days with comparable incomparable and the multiple paths philosophy that was abandoned in Moria. 

With crafting could be raid ready

with group play could be raid ready

with heavy questing could be raid ready

EDIT: arguably the biggest reason why Radiance was so unpopular as it added the first glass ceiling to the game separating the haves from the have not's.

The community of "elitests" as you say were always the strongest voice against it and other forms a gear/stat bloat.  Any true Elitest culture that exists today is a direct result of game design, not the community.

ok I'm guessing language barrier here, instances are not skirmishes, but since you raised the point name the new instance or cluster added with HD

How can I name things that aren't released yet ? Just becuase it was on a test server doesn't mean I am going to play it there and ruin my experience when it comes to the live server :)

I like waiting for the final build and let others beta test on the test server.

Yes, that's why I still have an active community forum account with over 5000 posts and you're banned and unwelcome there. Signed Fyrebrand.

I was banned cause of my overally passionate Monster Play posts, the one part of the game that frustrates me the most :). Be keep on keeping on !  Do I miss posting on lotro, no., because the community is on ther server, not a forum.

True elitests? guessing you missed SOA days with comparable incomparable and the multiple paths philosophy that was abandoned in Moria. 

With crafting could be raid ready

with group play could be raid ready

with heavy questing could be raid ready

EDIT: arguably the biggest reason why Radiance was so unpopular as it added the first glass ceiling to the game separating the haves from the have not's.

The community of "elitests" as you say were always the strongest voice against it and other forms a gear/stat bloat.  Any true Elitest culture that exists today is a direct result of game design, not the community.

All of those hold true now, maybe check the AH and see soome crafted gear. Group content gets you tokens, heavy questing gets you tokens. The radience argument is almost 3 years old now lol....

SO im still not following your argument....

ok I'm guessing language barrier here, instances are not skirmishes, but since you raised the point name the new instance or cluster added with HD

How can I name things that aren't released yet ? Just becuase it was on a test server doesn't mean I am going to play it there and ruin my experience when it comes to the live server :)

Then why are you debating here over information you don't want to know?

EDIT  Helm's Deep NDA lifted... title of the thread btw I had assumed that was spoiler alert enough

EDIT ahh nevermind let some1 else feed the troll done here

Then why are you debating here over information you don't want to know?

EDIT  Helm's Deep NDA lifted... title of the thread btw I had assumed that was spoiler alert enough

I found no spoilers in the Op statements, he didn'tinformed of any quest content and most of his statements are fallacy in nature with no prime examples of what he is even generalizing. The only gact that I gained from the OP, is that he plays Rift .

13»