Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cel-Shaded Sandbox Anime MMORPG "Peria Chronicles Online"

RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Peria Chronicles is a cel-shaded MMO being developed by THINGSOFT and the global publishing rights belonging to Nexon. A new video came out today about the sandbox aspect and it looks like it's using voxels to shape the land? Or it may just look like that because it's cel-shaded.

Anyways here's the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ed4aDdWEM#t=16

Tell me what you guys think. I'm personally excited for it because there are other really cool features that go with this, from building houses, towns, and even your own cities. Not only that but towns and cities that don't get any visitors frequently will simply vanish (it has not been said if this is for towns and cities already within the game or the player created towns and cities)! I think that's sort of an interesting feature.

Also combat is done by monsters you collect. It's sort of looks like Pokemon because you literally do pretty much none of the fighting, but instead direct your monster (or whatever they call it in the game) in attacks and spells. 

I personally prefer these graphics over a lot of other MMO sandbox titles coming out (but I love cel-shaded MMOs so I'm biased in that area). Anyways, I suggest checking out all the videos on it because it really does look amazing and is boasting a ton of features.

Smile

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Very interesting.

I like the anime graphics cell shaded visuals. I hope its not a generic mmo. The other anime mmos with cell shaded visuals i have tried are all generic F2P grinders. Sadly. But this looks interesting indeed.

The sandbox elements and the anime art style already got my interest. Will keep an eye on it. Thanks for sharing this.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by rojo6934

Very interesting.

I like the anime graphics cell shaded visuals. I hope its not a generic mmo. The other anime mmos with cell shaded visuals i have tried are all generic F2P grinders. Sadly. But this looks interesting indeed.

The sandbox elements and the anime art style already got my interest. Will keep an eye on it. Thanks for sharing this.

Yeah, it basically looks like a better EverQuest Next to me. Apparently you can even create your own custom cutscenes within the game. It looks to be heavily geared towards roleplayers and sandbox enthusiasts from what I've seen of it so far (that and it is being called Mabinogi's spiritual successor, which is definitely a good thing especially if you're deep into crafting in your MMORPGs).

Smile

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it is cel shaded, and I am really enjoying the graphics in The Walking Dead and A Wolf Among Us. On the other hand, it's an Anime themed or styled game. I'm not against anime themed or styled games so much as I'm just getting tired of anime in general. Years and years of anime styled stuff gets to be a bit much.

That said, it looks pretty inventive, and a step beyond most games right now with the sandbox features. Hmmmm

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    The graphics and animations looks really good
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it is cel shaded, and I am really enjoying the graphics in The Walking Dead and A Wolf Among Us. On the other hand, it's an Anime themed or styled game. I'm not against anime themed or styled games so much as I'm just getting tired of anime in general. Years and years of anime styled stuff gets to be a bit much.

That said, it looks pretty inventive, and a step beyond most games right now with the sandbox features. Hmmmm

Yeah, I've literally only played one anime-looking MMORPG that was actually a good game and it's 9-10 years old now. I'm one of the people who have actually been wanting some actual good anime MMORPGs so for me this is awesome news.

Smile

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    It is surprising how fast EQ-Next ideas are being copied. In a few years there will probably be a dozen or more MMOs with minecraft style features.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Novusod
    It is surprising how fast EQ-Next ideas are being copied. In a few years there will probably be a dozen or more MMOs with minecraft style features.

So fast they were likely copied before any details were released.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Nice I'll have to add this one to my radar. The girls and I were looking for a Mabinogi replacement.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by adam_nox

So fast they were likely copied before any details were released.

Isn't it amazing how fast people get paranoid with new game releases? This game is coming close to launching. Maybe it's SOE who's copying them ;)

Not paranoid here I am just analyzing trends. These games are really all copying from Minecraft. Millions of people played Minecraft with its cheap graphics. We going to find out what would happen if Minecraft had AAA backing and a full featured MMOPRG thrown on top of it. After a decade of stagnation in the industry we are witnessing the biggest leap in innovation since full 3D MMOs replaced 2D.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Not paranoid here I am just analyzing trends. These games are really all copying from Minecraft. Millions of people played Minecraft with its cheap graphics. We going to find out what would happen if Minecraft had AAA backing and a full featured MMOPRG thrown on top of it. After a decade of stagnation in the industry we are witnessing the biggest leap in innovation since full 3D MMOs replaced 2D.

I don't know that having the school of fish developers all swing the same direction is going to be what everyone is waiting for. Switching from all wow clones to all mindcraft clones is going to be just as boring 2 or 3 years later as it is now.

Someone needs to cannon ball into the pool and break the school of fish up if we really want to see lasting changes.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    looks cool
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

This has actually been in development for a very long time. It was announced way before anyone even knew what EverQuest Next was going to even be like. 

Smile

Originally posted by Torvaldr

The graphics look great, but I doubt this was copied from EQ:N Landmark. The building tools in Landmark look a lot more powerful.

This will be a game to watch for sure.

I don't know about that... Even in the trailer it's evident you can create worlds. You can also make buildings or even towns float in the sky. Also that tic tac toe game is an example of how you can combine items and craft to create more than just furniture, but create items to actually do stuff with like play games.

I'm sure stuff like that may be in EQN too, but I wouldn't say that the building tools are necessarily more or less powerful in either.

Smile

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Razeekster

The graphics look great, but I doubt this was copied from EQ:N Landmark. The building tools in Landmark look a lot more powerful.

I don't know about that... Even in the trailer it's evident you can create worlds. You can also make buildings or even towns float in the sky. Also that tic tac toe game is an example of how you can combine items and craft to create more than just furniture, but create items to actually do stuff with like play games.

I'm sure stuff like that may be in EQN too, but I wouldn't say that the building tools are necessarily more or less powerful in either.

Personally, I think EQ:N tools look more powerful as in ... you can make pretty much anything you can think of. While in this game, you are still limited by what objects are offered to you besides the landmass which I see you can do whatever you want with. However, even EQ:N is able to do even more with landmass.  The reason why you can do more with EQ:N is because their tools are pretty much as powerful as any game developers level design tools.

Keep in mind, this type of thing has been done before. It's called Second Life. I personally hate the game, but this game is an anime version with more powerful tools as far as I can see.

I will certainly give it a shot though. I just hope they moderate the world very well. I don't wanna walk around seeing dicks and cocks everywhere. >.> If you know what I mean.

Originally posted by Brabbit1987

Personally, I think EQ:N tools look more powerful as in ... you can make pretty much anything you can think of. While in this game, you are still limited by what objects are offered to you besides the landmass which I see you can do whatever you want with. However, even EQ:N is able to do even more with landmass.  The reason why you can do more with EQ:N is because their tools are pretty much as powerful as any game developers level design tools.

Keep in mind, this type of thing has been done before. It's called Second Life. I personally hate the game, but this game is an anime version with more powerful tools as far as I can see.

I will certainly give it a shot though. I just hope they moderate the world very well. I don't wanna walk around seeing dicks and cocks everywhere. >.> If you know what I mean.

I'm not really sure where you're getting your info since we've barely seen anything about EQN and this game still hasn't shown the house building feature yet (I'm fairly sure that there is a building process before they just make it appear where they want it, but maybe I am wrong).

Smile

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152

Not sure why EQN:L and this game are being argued about. These 2 games are completely different, the only thing that may be alike is the building.. But hell, none of us know, we haven't played either of the 2. 

This game looks pretty awesome, if only I knew Korean. Lol. I look forward to an NA release, and information.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987

I'm not really sure where you're getting your info since we've barely seen anything about EQN and this game still hasn't shown the house building feature yet (I'm fairly sure that there is a building process before they just make it appear where they want it, but maybe I am wrong).

They've shown enough of EQN for us to know that the in-game manipulation tools are actually very robust, and allow the player a great deal of accuracy. While it's true that neither game has really shown off their house building features, I would agree that Peria's editing tools look a bit more clunky than what we've seen from EQN / EQL demos.

That's not to say that Peria's editor couldn't be polished up and be on par, or even better, but it's not evident in either of the linked videos at this time.

That said, both games look intriguing, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on both. Minecraft is a lot of fun, but I'm thinking people will need more than just what minecraft had to enjoy such a game as an MMO. Meaning there are still a lot of features we should expect, but have not really seen from either game yet.

Cautiously optimistic.