Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Poll: If ESO costs $15/month, will you play it?

Comments

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,609Member Uncommon

...and then there's GTA V. I guess if you sell $1 billion in 3 days you don't sweat the small stuff like sub fees for the online game.image

Devs do have to walk a fine line: other than the ultra hardcore fans who will pay whatever, if they're perceived as money grubbing bastards, their credibility will suffer.

Not going to name names but selling Alpha access + a few gizmos and titles for close to $100 will cause many to stop feeling warm and fuzzy about the company that does that.

Having said that, I'd still rather pay a "membership fee" and not be subjected to subtle or blatant advertising than have it be "free" and have all those little reminders of what else I could get for "just a few bucks" more.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,197Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    I will only sub right before it goes F2P so I can get post F2P veteran rewards.

I like this plan. It sounds opportunistic to me.

• XirikXirik Yorkton, SKPosts: 1,699Member
    Definitely subworthy to me.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• PieRadPieRad Odense MPosts: 1,108Member

Weird poll....

Yes I will play for $15/month, No I will not pre-order.

• Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Mobile, ALPosts: 149Member

As almost every MMORPG I have ever played 'gave' you the first month free I don't think it is an issue. But sure, I would pay $15/month for a game I enjoyed. I would pay double that. 

I am one of those people who, rightly or wrongly, views value in MMOs as an equation of time spent vs. investment. So an MMO with a $15 fee is $0.50/day, played or not. Not a great value on the days I don't play it, sure, but in the scheme of things a negligible loss.

Now, if I play for four hours one day, then I spent twelve and a half cents an hour to be entertained. Quite a bargain.

Subs have financial drawbacks, but they also keep a lot of gold spammers at bay, and to a lesser extent the griefers and immature (though they are also in there, no doubt, just less than in a FTP game).

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Delaware, OHPosts: 257Member Uncommon
    $15 is about the same as a movie. I would rather experience the story for 80+ hours a month than watch the story for 2 hours.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

• MalinkadinkMalinkadink From, NJPosts: 79Member
    Honestly no, i won't pay $15 a month or whatever it will be to play this game. I am okay with buy 2 play though. After experiencing the quality of Guild wars 2 even though it was a themepark to the max and it only being buy 2 play theres no reason why i would pay a sub again for an mmo unless it was a better experience than WoW and the mmo we have all been waiting for, otherwise no thanks, it'll be f2p in a few months after launch anyways 
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHPosts: 2,926Member Uncommon

I have no interest in it as a sub based MMO. ZERO.

If Guild Wars couldn't keep my interest, there's no way ESO will.

• FateAkiFateAki LisbonPosts: 2Member
    No, I won't pay for a subscription. While 10$ isn't much, it's a choice I made as a gamer: only play it free or with beta keys. If I barely have enough money to survive till the end of the month, I won't use my parents' money (I am an uni student) for something like a game. There's only one single exception in my entire life - and ESO is not part of it.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Posts: 2,114Member Uncommon

I won't buy the game if i cannot try it first.

(yes I signed up for beta testing)

• waveslayerwaveslayer Salisbury, NCPosts: 355Member Uncommon
    Yes I will play, $15 a month is nothing, especieliy if the game is good and the updates are steady and frequent.

Godz of War I call Thee

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR PlovdivPosts: 511Member

Hehe. The poll is funny. On the one side we have the "OMG OMG I NEEDZ SUB GAMES OR ELSE ITS P2W AND CASH SHOP CRAP" kind of hypsters, on the other hand we have the F2P players who refuse to spent a dime on an entertainment product :D 

But yeah, I won't stand the idea of getting robbed each and every month when I've payed the box price. Give me content worth of sub every 2 weeks, then I can think about it! Promises of content every X months is bull****. Unless my conditions are met you can take your sub MMO and shove it you know where.

• RaquisRaquis hartenbosPosts: 536Member Common

the hole point of an elders scrolls game is to explore and now cause of the subscription people are going to run through the game.pitty they should have had a small sub like 5$ and a cash shop.

Originally posted by waveslayer
    Yes I will play, $15 a month is nothing, especieliy if the game is good and the updates are steady and frequent.

15$/mo. is not only a robbery, it also turns you into a slave to the game and takes your choice away. What if you want to play 5 subbbed games at the same time? P2P is a broken model... Sure i'm a fan of Elder Scrolls. But that doesn't mean I'm supposed to play ONLY elder scrolls in my free time. I'm playing Skyrim even today when I'm completely bored and that happens once or twice per month. Should I pay 15$ for ~10 hours? Hell no...

I really do not understand you people. You are willingly offering your free time AND money to a single product xD

• keenberkeenber galwayPosts: 438Member

yes i would pay each month and actually i wont ever play a F2P game ever again unless it has a subscription model

• gervaise1gervaise1 .Posts: 2,066Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Raquis

the hole point of an elders scrolls game is to explore and now cause of the subscription people are going to run through the game.pitty they should have had a small sub like 5$ and a cash shop.

This is a good point - although I feel that people will run through the game whether it has a sub or not, that's just the way it is.

Sell each new content drop for $15 (or whatever) and include 30 days (or whatever) of online co-op play. People are more likely to pay for content than they are for online time.

Couple that with a way for someone who buys the game to play through the core storyline without paying a sub - which Matt Frior has said exists and can be done solo - and you won't harm the game's initial sales.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon ParisPosts: 2,070Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

15$/mo. is not only a robbery, it also turns you into a slave to the game and takes your choice away. What if you want to play 5 subbbed games at the same time? P2P is a broken model... Sure i'm a fan of Elder Scrolls. But that doesn't mean I'm supposed to play ONLY elder scrolls in my free time. I'm playing Skyrim even today when I'm completely bored and that happens once or twice per month. Should I pay 15$ for ~10 hours? Hell no...

I really do not understand you people. You are willingly offering your free time AND money to a single product xD

What a load of rubbish you are talking lol, do you really think that paying a pathetic $15/€19 is going to make me a slave to the game. Oh look i've payed €19 a month so i must play 8 hours a day lol, it's pathetic you actually think like that when it comes to paying a sub for an MMO.

I feel really sorry for you(actually i don't) thinking that everyone thinks like you or because we pay a sub we don't have time to play other games.

Go cry more please, TESO is sub based, don't like it then don't play it.

Simple's.image

Coolermaster Cosmos II Case
    Corsair AX1200W Modular PSU
    Intel Core i7 3970X OC 4.50GHz
    Asus P9X79 PRO Intel X7
    16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-1866MHz
    840 Series 250GB SSDs
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDDs
    EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN 6GB GDDR5 SLi

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

What a load of rubbish you are talking lol, do you really think that paying a pathetic $15/€19 is going to make me a slave to the game. Oh look i've payed €19 a month so i must play 8 hours a day lol, it's pathetic you actually think like that when it comes to paying a sub for an MMO.

I feel really sorry for you(actually i don't) thinking that everyone thinks like you or because we pay a sub we don't have time to play other games.

Simple's.image

No really, I'm feeling sorry for people like you (I do) that you think this way :) 

The list of no P2P games that are actually worth it (no P2W and shit like that) is growing. You my friend are not paying for quality, you are mindlessly throwing your money away, it doesn't matter if its 1$, 15$, 150$ or 1000$. The box price is unjustifiable when a game is P2P yet that doesn't stop them from scamming the people playing their game. 

But that's modern society right. Here's a famous quote about it

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need." 

I guess that applies to people like you.

And really I'm not as brainwashed as you and I know my money's worth, whether its 1$ or 1000$. You don't have to feel sorry for me, you have to feel sorry for you and the folks that have your mindset. I can live without ES online and stay strong on my principals. You can't! 

P.S: Before you get all worried about me, know that I love my job :) 

• DogblasterDogblaster PraguePosts: 491Member

Simple's.image

No really, I'm feeling sorry for people like you (I do) that you think this way :) 

The list of no P2P games that are actually worth it (no P2W and shit like that) is growing. You my friend are not paying for quality, you are mindlessly throwing your money away, it doesn't matter if its 1$, 15$, 150$ or 1000$. The box price is unjustifiable when a game is P2P yet that doesn't stop them from scamming the people playing their game. 

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need." 

And really I'm not as brainwashed as you and I know my money's worth, whether its 1$ or 1000$. You don't have to feel sorry for me, you have to feel sorry for you and the folks that have your mindset. I can live without ES online and stay strong on my principals. You can't! 

I dont know how about you, but I wont work in job which I hate to buy shit I dont need. I buy shit I do need BUT also which I want and I am happy for :) When I buy game and it has box price + subscripton for me it is justifiable, box prices include dvds, manuals, distribution, etc. so I pay for it. Subscription is about upgrades, good and stable servers and support so I pay for it .. if you think these things are for free, then you must live on Mars or something :)

But okey, you can live without playing ESO and I guarantee you ESO can live without you playing :)

So have a nice day :)

Originally posted by Dogblaster

Simple's.image

I dont know how about you, but I wont work in job which I hate to buy shit I dont need. I buy shit I do need BUT also which I want and I am happy for :) When I buy game and it has box price + subscripton for me it is justifiable, box prices include dvds, manuals, distribution, etc. so I pay for it. Subscription is about upgrades, good and stable servers and support so I pay for it .. if you think these things are for free, then you must live on Mars or something :)

But okey, you can live without playing ESO and I guarantee you ESO can live without you playing :)

So have a nice day :)

Please do tell me what DVDs and manuals you get from a digital download :) Which is usually the cheapest package and the one that most people buy. Now if you get a collector's edition that is understandable, but otherwise please cut the crap. 

And the thing about the stable servers is a nonsense. Remember FFXIV anybody? People being unable to log for weeks after launch. Also SEs support is pretty bad, not to mention that they still haven't made a major upgrade to the game, 3 months in or so. But yeah, keep paying. 

And yeah, probably ESO can live without me, but the cool thing is that that people start to awaken from that farce since WoW - which is making people pay a box price, expansions price and a god damn subscription fee. You can clearly see the rise of B2P and F2P :) 

Most ES fans like me are frustrated because they won't be able to enjoy their game whenever they want (as they do now, after they buy the game). And that will show 6 months into the game, maybe one year. Bethesda is setting up for another TSW migration (P2P -> B2W -> That's when i throw my money away at the game and their cash shop if they have one)

And the point you made about the job, I'm glad to hear that you will always be able to work whatever u please, but then again the world is not spinning around you and you represent a very small percentage of the human population which I am in as well. Some people just don't have a choice :/ even if both of us a doing great financially and emotionally

• SiveriaSiveria Saint John, New BrunswickPosts: 1,200Member Uncommon

I'll probally not bother with it at all, the game looks like shit in my eyes, maybe if I get into beta but otherwise i have no real interest in it. From what I heard from people who are in the beta, the game is extremly boring to the point they cannot really be bothered anymore. Especally the combat side of things is boring, melee is pretty much spam left click till target dies. Even a mmo with a wow-like generic combat system sounds like it'd be more intersting. I also dislike how your faction is decided by what race you pick which is another reason for me not to waste my time. From everything I have seen so far the game just looks increadbly boring, I mean skyrim was pretty boring due to how much it was dumbed down for consoletards, and ESO is bascally a multiplayer skyrim so I honestly do not expect much. Then again fanboys are generally stupid enough that if it said elder scrolls on a box with shit inside it they'd buy it and praise it anyway.

Maybe my opinion will change later on, but for now, the game just doesn't seem all that intersting. So no, i'd not sub to it, nor would I buy it at this point.

in other news.. I wish the Starbound beta would start already, I pre-ordered the game way back when they first started the pre-orders.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Just to summarize my thought above ... 

Neverwinter had more successful launch than FFXIV as far as server stability is concerned. And it's a bloody F2P. Enough said on the topic of stability of P2P games compared to F2P. It's not the business plan, it's the level of professionalism a company can deliver. I have no doubt in in Zenimax/Bethesda since they have never disappointed with Fallout or ES series, but look at other P2P games like DFUW. Don't turn blind eye to the bad P2P examples and think that it's all great. That's just some brainwashed thinking :) 

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Elmhurts, NYPosts: 685Member Common

Simple's.image

P.S: Before you get all worried about me, know that I love my job :) 

I prefer subs the reason is easy i too know what my money is worth and i do know that playing F2P games means my purchases in the cashshop allows some other people to leech off of that and play for free.

It should be obvious that F2P or B2P games only work if enough people use the cashshops and i for once do not want some stranger to profit from my purchases.

Do not bother trying to sell me on the idea that i dont have to spend money first of that would make me a leech and i do have enough pride  to pay for what i want and second i do like to get the whole game not parts of it so i have to buy stuff.

I can see how some people who just dont make a lot of money would agree with you and think 15$ a month is forcing them to play.

I was trying to find a way to make the following sound nice but i think there just is no way.

If 15$ a month is worth more than 8-10hrs a months to you than you prolly should not waste your time on MMOs and better use these 10hrs+ to think about a way to better your income.

Last i would like to point out that your quote does not really apply here, after all you too do want these shit (in this case MMOs) but you much rather have other peoples money pay for it pay for your fun.

Now that works while we are kids and leech off of our parents(even tho i can not even imagine what my parents would have said if i would have wanted them to pay for an mmo for me lol) but we all need to grow up at some point.

• PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,289Member Uncommon

Just to summarize my thought above ... 

Neverwinter had more successful launch than FFXIV as far as server stability is concerned. And it's a bloody F2P. Enough said on the topic of stability of P2P games compared to F2P. It's not the business plan, it's the level of professionalism a company can deliver. I have no doubt in in Zenimax/Bethesda since they have never disappointed with Fallout or ES series, but look at other P2P games like DFUW. Don't turn blind eye to the bad P2P examples and think that it's all great. That's just some brainwashed thinking :) 

You seem to have a funny idea about how successful Neverwinter is, or about its pricing model, which btw, is fairly expensive, sure you can play for free, but there are so many nerfs its not really worth bothering with, and theres the other problem, the game is seriously lacking in content, its a constant repetitious grind, with very very few classes to choose from, compared to FF XIV which the launch problems were entirely due to, wait for it, far more people buying the game than expected, oops, a P2P game suffering from over subscription, what a failure image

But keep on with your rants against games that go P2P instead of F2P, if the ones your playing are so good then you won't be missing all these new P2P games will you now imageimageimage

• LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebPosts: 5,051Member Uncommon

If its a sandbox in style of Elder Scrolls , yes

If its just another Themepark - I have enough of those for free