Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: 'We're Listening'

• richarddoylericharddoyle Posts: 84Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GoodAfternoon
    Originally posted by Ender4

Yes it does pop up in many games because most games do combat poorly. All I can say is go play WOW or GW2 once and watch and feel how the combat and movement flows. Then log into Rift and just jump once and look at how awkward it looks, run around and feel how sluggish the movemetn is. They are just so far beyond a game like Rift that is hard for me to play Rift at all. This big wave of sub MMORPG's that all went FTP all did a poor job with the responsiveness and animations of their game.

The running and combat feel very familiar to WoW's. 

I have to disagree here.  I'm also of the opinion that the combat animations feel clunky/lifeless.

But that's how this entire game feels to me.  I bought it at release but didn't play for more than the first free month.  Why?  It's basically WoW except without the character and the soul of WoW.

People can diss WoW all they want, they like to say Rift is like the "mature" WoW, but the fact of the matter is that WoW has CHARACTER.  It has SOUL.  This game copied the mechanics and the features but it didn't copy what really mattered, which was a real feeling of substance.  Playing Rift just feels empty to me.  The storyline is completely devoid of originality, there are no memorable characters, there's no immersion, the environments are completely forgettable and plain, the quests feel far more tedious even if they mimic the same quests found in WoW.

This game had some good ideas but they just botched it badly by hedging too much on copying WoW.  They got so caught up in trying to imitate the body that they forgot to give it a heart.  The class system seems great but when I play any the classes I don't feel attached to any of them.  The Rifts SEEM like they should be great, I loved Public Quests from WAR, but the Rifts feel pointless and redundant.

Rift could have been great if they had spent more time working on its flavor.  It's just boring, empty.

I know there are plenty of people who enjoy it, but I just could never feel anything for it.  There's no desire to see what's coming next, no desire to explore the next zone, no desire to see what the dungeons are like.  It's not BAD... it's just bland.

Played: DAoC, AC2, WoW, CoH, GW, GW2, WAR, AoC, Champions Online, Rift, Dragon Nest, Vindictus, Warframe, Neverwinter, Dungeon Fighter Online

Currently Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online Global

Waiting for: None

• observerobserver Houston, TXPosts: 3,040Member Uncommon
    Rift's character models, races, animations, and sound effects, are the only reasons i stopped playing it.  They are all done very poorly and i just can't get immersed into it because of this.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by Ender4

Rebuild the game engine from the ground up. It isn't what they want to hear but the game was doomed before it even hit beta because of the lackluster animations and clunky combat.

I hope you realize that the game engine is completely different from animations and "clunky combat."

You make me like charity

• daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

For start why not to return to me my 4 alts on server that does not exists anymore and my alts are no where to be found? Or just stop to convert ALL servers (so far 2 or 3 as I remember) i select because you suggested so to become "trial-only". Etc etc. You are not listening, never did. Just talking a lot about. 

Have enjoyed a lot original release ... then all went just down, free fall, culminating in last expansion where I left after 1 week.

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member
    Originally posted by Maquiame

What I've always found sad about this game is that you really could give to dams about the story. Its so drab and boring that you literally cannot remember much about the lore. The cool things that they started with like the factions which I actually -liked- were taken away. The fantastic starting areas at launch gone. I -loved- the Defiant starting area, it felt so epic. This area being invaded by these huge golems and other monsters. The booming sounds, music, everything. Now when you go back to the starting zones you could care less. All that glorious epicness gone.

Trion I'll be honest. You guys need lore writers and you need them now. You need to stop treating your world like this purely Euro fantasy trash novel. Yes perhaps the Guardians are like that but the Defiants are not. Everytime I look at the world itself I see this great Heavy Metal (the magazine) typed world that has a cool story of its own that is there. Your faction story is your gold. Why you guys took that away I do not get at all. Especially with the Defiants, so much gold there with those guys. They are a breath of fresh air to the genre. I don't care about new souls, new gameplay, etc. Fix those textures please. Add more variety to your character creator with the faces and skin colors and hairstyles. Add some soul to your game. Know what your storyline should have been but isn't? The war of magic vs technology that rpg gamers have been clamoring for like forever. Keep the Rifts and all of that stuff, just make the story more centric and about the factions. Not the corny slub of a villian you guys have. Who cares about that guy, I don't even remember his name. You guys have more of a reason to pursue a great faction war story mmo than even wow. Why are all the monsters, rifts, craziness around? Because the factions at one time pulled out all the stops against each other and basically fucked up the world. You want a great enemy npc? Make it the world basically getting pissed at both sides and starting to retaliate. Lets have this great story about these two factions of dumbasses basically destroying their planet, and the planet basically saying "oh hell no, time for a spanking for both of you and going all Avatar bio monsters on their respective asses". And Bingo there is your third faction, expats from both groups who are trying to stop their respective kin from causing Armageddon.

Make something epic please and lets make it look nice. Stop adding and start fixing what's there. Its time to stop making the sandwich bigger and start making it taste better, lets do that for the next couple of years. You guys have more than enough content to build off of. Now lets add some expansions that deal with fixing the soul of the game and actually giving it one.

100 classes don't matter if I start nodding off hearing the world lore and story. Please make me care about being in your world.  Its time to add some RPG to your MMORPG.

Wow. Nice comment. Very thoughtful. I never really cared about the lore, but I never really thought about why. I wasn't even sure about how important it really is. But your post has made me think about it differently.

• AroukosAroukos AthensPosts: 571Member
    If they just improve client performance it will be the best mmo in the market.  Good game in general, fast paced updates, excellent f2p model. They just need focus on client performance and it will be perfect.
  • KatillaKatilla Nashua, NHPosts: 696Member Uncommon
    i don't get it... i'm running this on a computer with an older graphics card (GTX460SE) with a quad core and 8gb of ddr3 and my framerate is fine if i just turn down the ground clutter, and the graphics look great......better than GW2 IMO..