Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beware getting your hopes up

Comments

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by salaciouscrumbs

Beware for the following reasons:

• Lack of information about how the game will function - don't fill in the gaps with your fantasy
    • Consider that no large publisher, SOE included, has created a unique MMO in 10 years (since WoW)
    • The game appears from the demo, art-style, recently unveiled mechanics (fast travel) to be catering to very young people
    • There will be a cash shop and it will be free-to-play, not a subscription model - people seem to be forgetting this
    • Special effects and zerg-fest shown in the demo looks very similar to SWTOR's (failed) attempt at making everyone "heroic"
    • No evidence shown that multi-classing will be any different than Guild Wars 2 (failed) attempt at improving groups
    • Complete re-working of the EQ lore to the point where it's not the same lore whatsoever - not even remotely similar
    • All indications are that SOE is going down the same path as every other publisher for the last 10 years, taking no risks (with regards to mechanics being different to WoW) outside of the voxel-destruction.

man not only i am not fan but i dont even care about the title (except the Landmark part) and i can say that except your first statement the rest are false !!!

• kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229

I don't mind getting hyped up a little bit... beats sitting here watching the wheels go round and round... but I really love to watch them roll.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I was on the fence and still give them the benefit of doubt.

But the ongoings of Landmarks shed a bad light on EQN. Ripoff prices on the level so far we only knew from Cryptic, selling ALPHA games, three prices instead of one, selling a "game" that people know close to nothing about, lack of any regular INGAME info and instead only hot air of "round table talk" asf.

If it wasn't SOE I'd say it's vaporware. :/

It just sheds a really bad light on EQN. I really loathe ingame shops and givining people stuff for Dollars which are supposed to be attained only by plaing the game. Already in Landmarks even.

And what substantial do we know about EQNL and EQN? Close to nothing. And still people are supposed to invest into it, as if SOE was some poor kickstarter garage compage and not a billion dollar giant.

Humbug I say!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I think OP has it right. There are so many warning bells going off every time I learn something semi-concrete (there is no such thing as hard facts about EQNext at this point). The big thing that is turning me off is that there is a tendency lately to say that landmark is the sandbox and EQNext is more of a theme park. If that ends up being true then EQNext is useless to me.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276

If there's any advice I can give to my fellow MMO aficionados, I would first say beware putting too much hope into this game in particular. For anyone who is expecting something different than the MMO's of the last decade, guard against hoping to the point of fantasy.

• Lack of information about how the game will function - don't fill in the gaps with your fantasy
    • Consider that no large publisher, SOE included, has created a unique MMO in 10 years (since WoW)
    • The game appears from the demo, art-style, recently unveiled mechanics (fast travel) to be catering to very young people
    • There will be a cash shop and it will be free-to-play, not a subscription model - people seem to be forgetting this
    • Special effects and zerg-fest shown in the demo looks very similar to SWTOR's (failed) attempt at making everyone "heroic"
    • No evidence shown that multi-classing will be any different than Guild Wars 2 (failed) attempt at improving groups
    • Complete re-working of the EQ lore to the point where it's not the same lore whatsoever - not even remotely similar
    • All indications are that SOE is going down the same path as every other publisher for the last 10 years, taking no risks (with regards to mechanics being different to WoW) outside of the voxel-destruction.

I don't mention these points to bash the game. I mention them because of the many friends I have who seem to think this game is going to be something that (by all indications) it will not be. Many people also seem to be filling in the blank areas of information with wishful thinking - fantasies of what they believe the game should be rather than realistic speculation as to what it will be.

I'm only stating this because I was in the SWTOR community from the very beginning - I realize how much my own imagination of what "could have been" blinded me as to what ended up being reality in the end. I honestly wish I hadn't spent so much time involved in that community before the game even launched, because the final product was a slap in the face of what we all thought it would be.

Just be careful here - wait until most of the information is out before blindly believing that this is going to the next "big one", as many articles seem to have stated recently. I would hate to see the hopes of decent people crushed.

You REALLY haven't been paying attention if you think EQN-L or EQN will be just like the same games coming out the past 10 years.

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452
    You REALLY haven't been paying attention if you think EQN-L or EQN will be just like the same games coming out the past 10 years.

So here is the thing, I agree with this post most of all - more so than any other in this thread.

With that in mind, let me say that I think the ultimate message of "don't get your hopes up, because you've created some extra bit of information in your mind that is a leap in logic at this point based on what we know" is great.

Since the above is such a blanket statement, and also since the quoted statement is "full" of relevant information to back up their claims, let me elaborate on why it is my favorite. When Planetside 2 was announced, it was apparently an almost beta worthy game. Everyone was like, "Either we won't be seeing this for years, or it will be a buggy turd." Neither statement was proper, it was not for everyone... for sure, like you can NOT argue that. It was however, extremely polished and a pretty fun game if that's your thing.

When I look back at the PS2 "announcement" http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105953-Sony-Online-Strongly-Hints-Planetside-Sequel-Coming-This-Spring, I think to myself... Well, I was extremely skeptical then. Now, I'm always extremely skeptical. SWTOR was not a target for me, GW2 was a manageable title that I was excited for in the context of what I expected. EQn however, feels different. It feels different, because it IS different. This is a game that has a development cycle more similar to Minecraft than WoW.

I use the Minecraft example not because of the obvious similarities in advertised gameplay, but because there is so little done at the moment. If I were to see everything SoE has at their disposal in terms of EQn, I expect I wouldn't see much of anything. The primary thing we can assume they are working on at the moment is the core game systems and how everything is going to be implemented. The world, attention to detail as well as gameplay mechanics will be shaped largely by the community. Again, don't let me mislead you - I'm not making the claim that the community has this midas touch where everything is magically better because people outside the gaming industry are putting in their 2c. I'm making the claim that I am excited for this game, because I haven't seen enough to make a final choice on it.

TL;DR and to finish my point --- Being too excited for this game, or too pessimistic is ignorant. We don't know enough either way, unless art and discussion about core game systems are enough to tarnish your vision of what should be your perfect game.

P.S. I wholly expect hate for this post, please include links and back up for argument if you wish to discuss farther.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Thanks OP for worrying about my hopes.
  • Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by Elikal

I was on the fence and still give them the benefit of doubt.

But the ongoings of Landmarks shed a bad light on EQN. Ripoff prices on the level so far we only knew from Cryptic, selling ALPHA games, three prices instead of one, selling a "game" that people know close to nothing about, lack of any regular INGAME info and instead only hot air of "round table talk" asf.

If it wasn't SOE I'd say it's vaporware. :/

It just sheds a really bad light on EQN. I really loathe ingame shops and givining people stuff for Dollars which are supposed to be attained only by plaing the game. Already in Landmarks even.

And what substantial do we know about EQNL and EQN? Close to nothing. And still people are supposed to invest into it, as if SOE was some poor kickstarter garage compage and not a billion dollar giant.

Humbug I say!

You must be confused. The game is free. The founders packages are not 'sold' games. No one pays to play this game. it's free. Relax friend. you can play without spending a dime just like everyone else. 

People are not supposed to invest in it. it's a choice. the game will still go on if people didn't invest in the founders packages. They are a business after all. Do you expect no one to pay anything and have the game still free for everyone? Who would do that?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    This game look designed for ps4
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Isn't "don't get your hopes up" just sort of general good advice? It doesn't really matter what game we're talking about. There's no way to tell if a game is 'good' or not until it releases, and even then it might require a bit of play through to really tell.

It's all relative anyway. If you get your hopes up higher than the game can deliver, then you will be disappointed. Did you get your hopes up too high or did the game under perform? It's all the same.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by Wiha
    I was hyped until they revealed it. 

Same for me..

+2

I will still give the game a try but its not an "omg I want this now" factor anymore

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    My gut tells me EQN is going to be an absolute train wreck. Diehard EQ fans are going to turn on this new gen version with the quickness. SOE cut off the nose to spite the face.
  • SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    SOE is involved, so just because of that fact, I won't have any hopes for this game.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

It's a great thing to have forum justicars that for the good of mankind step in to tell us what we should be hyped about.

I have to thank you for your heroic efforts towards the bettering of the quality of life of the human race.

I think you were trying to shoot for some epic retort but it just came off as..........space cadety.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I can toss out what you say going by that alone...

Your F2P comment smacks of either trolling, or a lack of actual knowledge of the genre as a whole. And the failed groups in GW2 were those that could not wrap their heads around a new idea, was stuck in the past and just wound up sucking. Thankfully, my guild is doing great with the new roles and the challenge it brings...something the genre has been lacking for a decade...glad to know the genre actually IS evolving and leaving the WoW clones behind.

You want to stay trapped in the past? No problem, TESO is just around the corner and the developers want you to play it, since they couldn't come up with any new ideas...at all.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

I'm actually pretty tired of being warned against hope.

Think I'll gleefully embrace things again and manage my own consequences, like an adult.

They could have revealed the game at this year's upcoming SOE live and that would have made more sense. I have suspicion that EQNext won't be out for a good year and a half at least.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    They could have revealed the game at this year's upcoming SOE live and that would have made more sense. I have suspicion that EQNext won't be out for a good year and a half at least.

Perhaps longer, The Alpha isn't starting until December which means Beta wont be until Spring. So even spring of 2015 would make it only 1 year of complete beta testing which is rather short.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Perhaps longer, The Alpha isn't starting until December which means Beta wont be until Spring. So even spring of 2015 would make it only 1 year of complete beta testing which is rather short.

Word.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

+1 to salacious crumb for this post. I hope you can change your avatar to our furry friend from Star Wars (his appearance just makes me smirk).

In my mind there are really only TWO things that set this game apart from other MMOs:

1. Large extent of Destructibility which has not been seen to date

2. Intelligent AI that goes well beyond anything currently out there

The rest is more or less a rehash of everything that's already been done and overdone ten times before. I personally don't agree with the kiddish art style and neither do a great many. There have been qualms about splitting of playerbase between landmark and EQN. There appears to not be enough continuity with preexisting EQ series and lore. The multiclassing is nothing to get over excited about. There is no real first person view. And although it may look like there is community involvement, the reality is that it falls short from that seen in kickstarted projects, and in fact may be more of a PR tool.

Now that's not saying it won't be a fun and exciting game- it probably will. And who knows, it may even turn out to be the WoW killer. But the point is that people should not be unrealistic with their expectations about this MMO.

Right now my hopes lie in ESO which is shaping up to be a real great game. For one thing I know I would feel less like I'm playing a family-friendly game.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Wiha
    I was hyped until they revealed it. 

This is me also. Everything about it has made me feel more bleh about it.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

All indications are that SOE is going down the same path as every other publisher for the last 10 years, taking no risks (with regards to mechanics being different to WoW) outside of the voxel-destruction.
    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by dandurin
    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

Is that a quote from somewhere? Has to be the funniest ish I've read in a long time.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Thanks OP for worrying about my hopes.

And yet they ignored your dreams. What are hopes without dreams?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• movindudemovindude Member UncommonPosts: 127

EQ3 im betting more like Vangaurd 2