Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play this game? (extreme permadeath)

The concept is based on Sword Art Online.

Imagine a game with the following:

• A world consisting of floors to unlock (with big boss (very hard to kill) at door to the next )
  • Sandbox
  • Perma-death and not allowed to make a new character on the server (once you left the world there's no turning back).
  • Minimum/Maximum start population for each 'instance' of the world (so an 'instance' only start if enough players have registered).
  • No resurrection possibilities(except an item obtained from a extremely rare mob that allows one rez)

How would you play in this world?

• Be a crafter and just follow to the next floor whenever it is opened (little to no risk of dieing)
  • Be someone that just 'plays' on a floor till the next is unlocked (if ever) (more risk but fairly predictable)
  • Be part of the vanguard that takes on the bosses (high risk)
  • (if PVP is allowed) go around killing anyone that's an easy target

Now I know that such a project would be hard to sell to investors and have plenty of issues to solve (fe. what to do if the population becomes to low to take on a boss or not enough people willing to try it). But it just seems interesting to see how players would react to such a ruleset.

So which playstyle would you pick? I'd problably start as crafter and slowly work towards vanguard.

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Is there a group of people on this site that are trying to come up with ways to attract fewer and fewer players?

People will die in an online game. Whether they die due to a tough mob or latency spike, they will die. How do you plan to mitigate an always shrinking playerbase in a game that would only attract a fraction of permadeath players who are already a fraction of hardcore players who are a fraction of mainstream mmoers.

I know exactly how people would play it. The same way most permadeath players play, but fighting "safe" mobs until they outlevel/gear the next area and slowly progress. Look at PoE with its various hardcore modes. Even streamers will DC or force close the client if they think they're about to die. Yeah, real hardcore.

But a game which doesn't let you make more characters? I wouldn't play it.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    no
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    I would first have to know in what ways the world is a sandbox. There are infinite kinds of sandbox models, theoretically. Also how character progression works. And crafting, economy, full loot or not, combat mechanics, and so on. I like perma-death, but the effectiveness of such a model would depend upon a wide array of other mechanics. As posted? No.
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

If you made a poll and gamers here would honestly choose a option i know out come i can predict the future if such a poll would excist

1% maybe even less prolly would play 99% would hate it with a passion.

For me its only a game, if its fun ill play, i dont care to die perma.

Ive played DayZ for over 1000 hours and i never cared about dying and start over(DayZ character is perma lost if you die).

I saw the fun in trying to survive as long as i can lucky i don't care losing some pixels. Ive lost plenty in Darkfall like infernal armor i crafted finally to lose in hour later lol but its only a game and some pixels, you win some you lose some.

But biggest problem with this kind of games is not losing stuff or dying its damn cheaters I HATE with a passion they ruined this kind of games for honest players.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Based on what you've presented so far? No.

However, if this was part of a project to find ways to make Wizardry Online more of a disappointment than it currently is...

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    No.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Yes, if I can be a GM and run a boss.

I'll wait until the big push, then sneak up on them from behind and take out their healers then waltz off laughing.   This would leave the world populated with people with no healing potential who can never make it past me now, who will gradually die off one by one to petty monsters and PvP backstabbing, with no chance of replacements.

Why?  Because I'll hate the company who hired me and made me work so much overtime during crunch as the MMO was getting closer to rollout.  ... and this will be a wonderful way to assure that any minute chance the company had of being successful, fails completely.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Yes, if I can be a GM and run a boss.

I'll wait until the big push, then sneak up on them from behind and take out their healers then waltz off laughing.   This would leave the world populated with people with no healing potential who can never make it past me now, who will gradually die off one by one to petty monsters and PvP backstabbing, with no chance of replacements.

Why?  Because I'll hate the company who hired me and made me work so much overtime during crunch as the MMO was getting closer to rollout.  ... and this will be a wonderful way to assure that any minute chance the company had of being successful, fails completely.

And there it is... the Dark Side of Meowhead.  :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Lam3zorLam3zor Member UncommonPosts: 48

i probably would have but... the character creation idea has to be changed. i think things would have been made more interesting if there was some form of a server reset kind of function like the instances you came up with. the reason i suggest a reset after 1 month or week or something like that is because... obviously it not SAO. people wont stay there forever.

a crafter wont craft if no one is buying his things and will quit

people who arent doing a good job fighting will quit

people who get lonely will(probably) quit

you'll eventually be stuck with a small ammount of people who keep trying to clear the game but have an exteremly hard time trying to progress because the ammount is so small.

a server reset with a small stat boost to survivors or something like that would work out interestingly. or something like "this here is a person who survived for X time the last instance and for this he is rewarded with the sword of a hundred truths". some sort of an incentive to pressing as far as you can or just surviving for a long time ACTIVELY

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

What's the appeal in a one-shot game? Perma-death works in models where you have to reroll from the beginning and learn from your mistakes. Why would anyone play a game where there is only one shot? /boggle

No.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Jaedor

What's the appeal in a one-shot game? Perma-death works in models where you have to reroll from the beginning and learn from your mistakes. Why would anyone play a game where there is only one shot? /boggle

No.

Ever see those guys that like getting kicked in the balls....this is like the gamer equivalent.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Have seen similar suggestions on this site almost since I have been here. Never once have I seen one that made any sense. This one included. Why even bother to make a game if in the end, people will not be allowed to play it? Or, at the least, not be able to experience much of it. NO THANKS!

(Keep trying though. These are at best humorous reading.)

Let's party like it is 1863!

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I am also a little confused on what sort of payment method this game would use.  There would be points in time where you wouldn't be able to play the game because you've died but there's not enough people to start a new instance.

Would it be like an arcade where you stick your quarter in and then part of the fun is seeing how long you can last?  Then when you lose you wait in line for the other people to finish playing and your turn to come?  That seems to work when you're waiting for 10 minutes to play Street Fighter, but I'm not sure I'd be happy waiting for days, or even weeks.

Also, probably everybody would die out of the first instance pretty quickly (Except for the most cowardly of people) as people get used to the mechanics.

.... so around the second or third time around you have the competent people.  Then everything AFTER that is instances populated with people who've already died even when the mechanics of fights are known.  That means people joining late are mostly stuck with all the losers and rejects. :(  The perma-permadeath just has so many problems with it.  Permadeath where people can restart later works, but the only reason people stuck around in Sword Art Online is because they were LITERALLY stuck inside the game, correct?  (I only had the plot explained to me so might be confused)  It's not like people were playing perma-permadeath game because they wanted to.  It wasn't an option.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Craio
    Would you play this game? (extreme permadeath)

When  you said "extreme permadeath" I thought you mean you have a cyanide needle next to your seat and if your toon dies the needle will inject you and kill you too, lol

What you are saying is not that bad, but it won't be very popular at all. The fact that you are suggesting to not even allow to recreate a character on the server is a big problem - because you are not giving people the chance to learn the game AND make friends.

A large part of MMO is about meeting people and making friends. Otherwise you probably be better off playing Skyrim.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Jaedor What's the appeal in a one-shot game? Perma-death works in models where you have to reroll from the beginning and learn from your mistakes. Why would anyone play a game where there is only one shot? /boggle No.
    Ever see those guys that like getting kicked in the balls....this is like the gamer equivalent.

I lol'd. At work. :D

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    I might play it for five minutes, make a newbie mistake and ... well ...that would be it because I can't make a new character.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Originally posted by Craio

The concept is based on Sword Art Online.

Imagine a game with the following:

• A world consisting of floors to unlock (with big boss (very hard to kill) at door to the next )
    • Sandbox
    • Perma-death and not allowed to make a new character on the server (once you left the world there's no turning back).
    • Minimum/Maximum start population for each 'instance' of the world (so an 'instance' only start if enough players have registered).
    • No resurrection possibilities(except an item obtained from a extremely rare mob that allows one rez)

How would you play in this world?

• Be a crafter and just follow to the next floor whenever it is opened (little to no risk of dieing)
    • Be someone that just 'plays' on a floor till the next is unlocked (if ever) (more risk but fairly predictable)
    • Be part of the vanguard that takes on the bosses (high risk)
    • (if PVP is allowed) go around killing anyone that's an easy target

Now I know that such a project would be hard to sell to investors and have plenty of issues to solve (fe. what to do if the population becomes to low to take on a boss or not enough people willing to try it). But it just seems interesting to see how players would react to such a ruleset.

So which playstyle would you pick? I'd problably start as crafter and slowly work towards vanguard.

Take always perma-death , original design wasn't had perma-death . It just some sicko add it to make him entertainment.

And your forget about first person camera which make that game become FPSMMORPG with melee weapon (there are another version of FPS in novel).

Another strong point is puzzle , you forget it.

Sell point virtual world of that game only mean you have more tools to solve and make more complex puzzle.

And "Minimum/Maximum start population" because of a sicko want to force more people die from chaotic battle , you can solo boss if you want or do it with less number player.

Tell the true , aside from complex virtual world there are nothing make it stand out.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

How emphatically can I say

NO

• MischiefMischief Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Nope
  • zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

Seems pointless to limit the number of players, in a relatively short time there would be nobody left to play (is it not the desire to have as many players as possible to make more money)!

Done via allowing 1 char only, which after dieing the player moves on to another game because they can not play this one any more!

(would this be f2p or is it plain old greed poking it head in and trying to keep server costs down at the same time!)

Making a char, dieing in 5 minutes while trying to learn how to play then moving on to another game, NOT FOR ME!!!

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

That's just not EXTREME enough yet for me to want to play.  Only if I have to also sacrifice my first born upon the death of my character will it be HARDCORE enough for me.  OH and I would also be forced to amputate a body part.  That should just about add enough risk verses reward for me.  Well maybe that's not enough either.  I would also need to gouge my right eye out.  

There, now that's the perfect amount of suffering for having failed in a computer game.

• neosapienceneosapience Member Posts: 164

The main reason I hate permadeath is ridiculous ratio between risk and reward. In order to make any single encounter rewarding, you'd have to receive more than the accumulated total of what you've earned up to that point (adjusted for difficulty of course).

Essentially, the only people that like permadeath games are the self deprecating adrenaline junkies. The game itself means nothing to such people. They could play dynamite pong and be happy with it.

Most people want a game to be entertaining, immersive, thought provoking and challenging. While permadeath can be balanced properly, it fails to improve any of those aspects and is thus generally unwanted.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

This would be possible as a multiplayer coop game.

Absolutely impossible as an MMO.

Would I play it?  As a coop, perhaps, as long as the gameplay was fun.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    I'd at least try it.. don't know how long until the death, but I'd be interested to see it.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Definitely not.