Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who do you think is the BEST developer?

Comments

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Yeah we all rushed out to buy it because diablo 2 was so great.

The expansion will not sell anything like as many copies.

It's a shame though, blizzard look to be back on track, the wow expansion sounds decent, the MOBA appeals to me more than lol and dota, the card game maybe not, looks too much money involved compared to likes of scrolls & ironclad tactics, and non Of these card games have the whole outer meta game thing of card hunter, will probably be a competent mtg style game, but card hunter just blows the genre away.
  • xSagaixSagai Member CommonPosts: 94

Kudos on the topic!

CD Projekt RED  is my favorite developer at the moment. Love the Witcher series and really excited for Cyberpunk 2077

Blizzard gets my vote for BEST overall developer due to the polish, lore and yes the games themselves. CCP is a very close second and who I would call the "visionary" of the top tier developers.

Tibbs
    Yeah and if you'd have asked me a few years ago I would have put blizzard equal with valve.

But diablo 3 really pissed me off. And cataclysm to an extent, but I think that was just I was bored if wow by then.
    Foomer
    I will still by valve games on the name alone.

God if half life 3 was announced!

Almost there with a few others like bethseda, arkane, croteam, cdprojekt, blizzard etc..

But devs change. Once over I would have rushed out to buy the latest games from Id, monolith, bullfrog & mythic. Vary wary on them now.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Also lost vikings was great.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by goldtoof
    Michael bay films are a huge commercial success, doesn't make them good.

Doesn't make them bad either.

When the "South Park" guys made "Team America" they were partially lampooning Michael Bay's movies. Afterward one of them said that they actually grew respect for him as they learned exactly how much work, effort, precision knowledge went into making such an action movie.

Michael Bay makes great, polished glitzy popcorn movies. And for people who like that type of thing there really is no issue.

If he couldn't make "great, polished, glitzy popcorn movies he wouldn't be as successful as he is.

People like them, they want to see them therefore they are good.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

CCP.

They're the only MMO company that has managed to grow year after year, and learn from their mistakes.

Blizzard is laughably bad. They never come up with any ideas on their own, just snip ideas from other games and make them casual and usually worse.

At its core, WoW is a disaster, from a design standpoint.

And all other companies I used to admire got too big for their britches and ruined their own games and communities. Turbine, Mythic, Verant, all fucking awful. But CCP has managed to stay level.

You might not like blizzards games but saying they are laughable just makes you out to be a bitter hater. I am not a huge fan of their games but i can accept that their games are developed to a very high standard of quality that most other companies can't get near.

I'm not denying that their games are polished and that their marketing is masterful. But the actual design of the game, and what they've done with WoW is laughably bad. Its got the most budget and devs of any MMO in history and they're only JUST adding housing. Their PvP and crafting are still terrible, there are no variety in their dungeons.

They've done nothing but sit on WoW, really.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Haha what? Bethesda gets disqualified for how bad Oblivion was and how poorly they treated PC and PS3 gamers with Skyrim.

As for Funcom, never have I seen a company lie more in pre release than they did with Age of Conan.  Drunken Brawling?

What was wrong with Oblivion?  What other games did open-world RPG better at the time?  And treating PC and PS3 gamers poorly with Skyrim?  What are you smoking?

Oblivion was about a thousand step backwards in quality from Morrowind. The quest compass and level scaling alone made the game fairly unenjoyable.

As for Skyrim, there was a widespread bug in the PS3 version that made it impossible to play if your save file had like, 20+ hours put onto it. It took a good year for them to bother fixing it.

And on PC, not only did the game look awful, but the UI was the worst PC UI I've seen in years. None of the graphics features were available unless you tweaked the INI file. The mouse didn't work properly without modding. It was capped at 2 gigs of RAM. This was after promising the PC would get its own special UI.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

CCP.

They're the only MMO company that has managed to grow year after year, and learn from their mistakes.

Blizzard is laughably bad. They never come up with any ideas on their own, just snip ideas from other games and make them casual and usually worse.

At its core, WoW is a disaster, from a design standpoint.

And all other companies I used to admire got too big for their britches and ruined their own games and communities. Turbine, Mythic, Verant, all fucking awful. But CCP has managed to stay level.

You might not like blizzards games but saying they are laughable just makes you out to be a bitter hater. I am not a huge fan of their games but i can accept that their games are developed to a very high standard of quality that most other companies can't get near.

I'm not denying that their games are polished and that their marketing is masterful. But the actual design of the game, and what they've done with WoW is laughably bad. Its got the most budget and devs of any MMO in history and they're only JUST adding housing. Their PvP and crafting are still terrible, there are no variety in their dungeons.

They've done nothing but sit on WoW, really.

You don't find it a tad bit arrogant to sit on a forum telling the most commercially successful game ever made they could of done it better ? And what they have done is....laughably bad.

Do you make a billion dollars a year on your ideas ? Do you make anything off your ideas ?

Oblivion feels too much generic fantasy compared to Morrowind and skyrim.

Also it was super buggy on pc. All bethseda games are a bit tempremental but we overlook that because they are great in other areas, but oblivion is by far the buggiest. Also forced bloody mouse smoothing.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
     If we're talking about "best" I'd simply define it by money profited off of their product(s) and to put it simply Blizzard is the one  I believe holds this position. This juggernaut of a gaming company has produced some of the best games on the market even to this day. Ranging from Hack and Slash, Real-Time Strategy, and MMORPG. While they haven't quite held up to their golden days with their most recent release of Diablo 3. They're still a heavy contender when it comes to their other titles.

Ah, the popularity contest paradigm.   Was Brittany Spears really the best singer for a number of years?  Or was she the best marketed entertainment commodity?  Of course, the OP opened it to any and all reasonings, so either of those would be argueable stances.   Blizzard does know how to leverage its fan base real well.

You can't argue with success like SC, Diablo SC2, Diablo2, Diablo 2 LOD, Warcraft 1-3, and WoW. They're some of the best products of their time and still remain so. While some companies might out do Blizzard in a single genre. You can't deny that Blizzards track record is incredibly good across all of the genres that they're in.

You can disagree,of course, but your argument is still pretty good...;)   My view is probably skewed by not particularly liking any of their games.  They definitely seem to be on a downward spiral now.   They could poot forth any turd of a game, and still sell millions.   But I guess that would back up your contentions too. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AsayagaAsayaga Member Posts: 14

I'm gonna throw in CIG.

Why? They're making a game for gamers by gamers in a way that's never been done in the entire history of gaming.

Their guts alone is enough for my nr 1 spot atm

Do we live to watch anime?
    Or do we watch anime to live?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I feel that gamers are unable to fairly assess publishers without the fog of Brand Loyalty.

Many believe that they are (unbiased, that is). Until you can point out their consistent posting history as a fanboy or hater.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well can't really say it being like "Hands down nothing can touch them" but I'd say Trion is a great developer providing  so much for their games and putting in so much effort . Rather then trying to 'pretend' of being original and  changing things like GW2 did, they went "it exists because people like it" and used it and built upon it, building a real strong class system and adding even new elements that were entertaining and added to the game without feeling tacked on, and felt 'new and fresh' despite the idea not really being that much of a varient. Says a lot when a game that took the everquest model  (Yes I know most call it wow model, but lets stop giving wow false credit even if it was a great game at one point) and ended up adding elements to it that the game it likely recieved much inspiration from (Wow) took that element (Chronicals) and added their own variety (Scenario) as a bigger part to the game.

Otherwise my other choice would be Square Enix. Redoing a game majorly that flopped heavily, and doing it so well WITH the expectation it likely wouldn't make that crazy profits shows just how dedicated they are to redeeming themselves and making a good product and upholding their image, the new FF14 being so much better and an actual great game.

In the end, I can't really say hands down any company stands above and beyond. They all have their flaws. i'm more about the game over the developer.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Icewhite

I feel that gamers are unable to fairly assess publishers without the fog of Brand Loyalty.

Many believe that they are (unbiased, that is). Until you can point out their consistent posting history as a fanboy or hater.

Maybe just this once you could actually answer an OP and share with us who you really like as a developer?

I'll go first  even. image

CCP is my personal favorite.  They've stuck true to their original vision over the years and manage to deliver change to the game without ever really adversely changing the core game play.

Sure, they've had missteps, but have backed off on bad decisions and shown a willingness to admit that sometimes they are wrong, even if it is their game.

In fact, they seem to understand it really isn't just their game, it belongs to the players just as much and many times they do things that make great sense from a player perspective, yet when it's time to tell the player base, they're strong enough to do so.

Are they perfect? Heck no, far from it, but I wish I could point out many other developers who stuck true to their core player base (no, not Blizzard, they sold out long ago).

ANET seems to be solid as well, even if I don't care for their game design.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Long term Turbine failed me but when LOTRO was p2p (prior to Skirmishes) they made a beautiful game. After them I would have to say I trust Blizzard to give me a nice looking game that may not be fantastic with content but enough to keep me occupied.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Maybe just this once you could actually answer an OP and share with us who you really like as a developer?

Right now? Gazillion. They seem to churn out new development fairly quickly, but it's early on in a small title.

Next week? Ask me next week.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150

Since the question was pretty open to interpretation, I am going to say that the best developer I have ever worked at was Iron Lore Entertainment.  It was one of the best places I have ever worked at in any industry.

It's a tie for second place between SoE and Blizzard ... both have great people, great locations, awesome workplaces.

As far as who makes better games .... it is hard to argue with Blizzards resume, but I am going to say SoE puts out a more complete game than Blizzard (Blizz is more polish, but less complete).

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Yyrkoon_PoM

Since the question was pretty open to interpretation, I am going to say that the best developer I have ever worked at was Iron Lore Entertainment.  It was one of the best places I have ever worked at in any industry.

It's a tie for second place between SoE and Blizzard ... both have great people, great locations, awesome workplaces.

As far as who makes better games .... it is hard to argue with Blizzards resume, but I am going to say SoE puts out a more complete game than Blizzard (Blizz is more polish, but less complete).

Yeh that's too bad about Iron Lore.  I would have really liked to have seen more done with the Titan Quest IP.  Out of curiosity, which aspect of the industry do work in?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor