Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Married couple looking for game for full time duo

cd_bluecd_blue Member UncommonPosts: 14

My wife and I played MMORPGs before we got together then oddly stopped once we started dating. Flash forward years ahead we are looking for a game to play as a full time duo. Our play time is limited and chances are we would just be playing a game together with no raiding.

Might not even do instances with anyone (for sure not PUGS). I started playing EQ when it launched and grew up in that awesome social environment. The last time I tried WoW the community was so bad we wanted no part of it. I am figuring the GW2 community would be pretty much same as WoW community.

So I am looking for suggestions on a game for us. Something where there might have sense of progression compared to our peers who are raiding. We also are both into crafting/collecting pets, mounts, whatever/building/decorating houses, all that good outside of combat stuff. Neither of us are into PvP btw.

A good, mature, and nice community would be a huge plus. Was thinking of Everquest 2 as I played there when it launched. 

Any advice would be awesome

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Lord of the Rings Online, Landroval server.  LOTRO has everything you're asking for, including the best community I've found in any MMO.
  • HardwareLustHardwareLust Member Posts: 2
    Agreed with Mighty.
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    I would try lotro it is great.
  • jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726
    lotro is a great option, also eq2 is doing pretty well, and with eq next on the horizon.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

My wife and I duo a lot, as well as other types of play, but we enjoyed Vanguard a lot, it may be closer to EQ than a lot of other stuff (not very close, as it was supposed to be, but closer).

A cleric/ranger or cleric/disciple combo was pretty fun to do in it, and the world is huge.  It is also f2p now, so no money to try it out.

• izuahizuah Member Posts: 2
    Hi, if You like Star Wars, then try maybe SWTOR, huh?
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

I know part of this goes against what you said you wanted, why not take a glance at Rift? Free and nothing to loose.

Huge collection system from mounts to reputation specific items sold at that factions vendors.

A large achievement system. 

Has dimensions (personal customizable areas). You can bring others into these.

Quest chains out the rear end with lore behind them. 

A large reputation system that takes time to work

Feel like you want to group without feeling you are stuck in a group until it's over? Run instant adventures or rifts in a given zone.

It has chronicles which are similar to dungeons but designed for 1 or 2 usually.

Once you get to lvl 60 you can get into random Great Hunts and world event raids by simply asking in the crossrealms channel. There's generally always a raid going non-stop of random people.  Same concept as normal rifts but massive.  These groups also tend to do world events across shards.  All random people no organization needed like raiding. Though they give you the feel of raiding without any commitment. Rewards reputation and currency to spend at reputation vendors. Freedom to come and go as you please.

If solo pvp isn't your thing but wouldn't mind maybe playing around with pvp once in a blue moon on a raid scale. You got conquests where 3 raid groups (you queue for them like anything else) fight over a zone. Can be really taxing on a system. My pc currently comes to a stand still in them.  Hopefully that changes a little bit after Friday.

I know you said pugs aren't your thing however.  Why not roll core classes.  Pugs aren't generally that bad in Rift. Most of the dungeons are really fun and don't take much time to run. One of you two play a class that can tank and the other a cleric. Don't even have to talk to the others in the dp's after that. Though I have met a lot of friendly people in random dp's and can't say I have had that many bad experiences.   It's really hard to avoid joining a few pugs no matter the mmo.

Playing a healer and tank will give you almost instant pops for queues. So in the case you two get in a bad group. Just leave.  Once done with normals move up to experts. You get great gear from them. 1 step down from raid gear and on top of it should you 2 join a guild that does raid and would like to actually go to one at some point you will have the gear required to do so. That said, there's plenty to do while avoiding dungeons all together if that's your choice.

Decent crafting system.

There is a lot to do and it's pretty top notch for a free 2 play. 

If graphics do not bother you thought about Anarchy Online? Duos in AO, once able to do ai raids and fund their needs through viral bots and gear themselves will  find very little content that is untouchable for them. Use to have a more mature community but very cliquish. I don't know haven't played for years.  You will have to pug to get 220. There is no way around it. It's just so old and not in it's prime and with no idea how healthy the subscription numbers, meaning how populated the pay for content is, I just don't mention it to many people anymore.  Might be worth looking at if you two essentially want to become god characters at some point.  Don't expect that journey to be very fast though.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Just play wow (probably on a rp server)

The new expansion sounds good. It's got more content than all these subsequent wow copies too.

Druid & shaman makes a good leveling pair both thematically and performance wise.
  • AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69

My money would have to be on Everquest 2. I played that game for a while and thought it was probably the best MMO experience I have ever had. Then I found out that if you are free to play you have to pay money to wear Legendary and Mythic gear. I quit after I found that out, but really missed the game.

I found out yesterday that Oct. 1st they got rid of the requirement to pay to equip legendary and mythic for free to plays and I am so excited. I'm downloading it right now ready to hop back in. EQ2 is such an enjoyable game, so it gets my vote.

And if you don't pick EQ2 then I wish you the best of luck to you and your wife when you do find a game to explore.

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
     I'll second the Eq2 vote, my wife and I played and enjoyed it greatly. There is plenty of content for a duo to do and with the Merc system you can tackle group content as well.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    Lord of the Rings Online, Landroval server.  LOTRO has everything you're asking for, including the best community I've found in any MMO.

This.

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    I would suggest EQ2 too, there are a LOT to do and see, the crafting and housing system is one of the best available. The game also has a high % of grown up players. With the Heroic 85s available (for money of course) you can start close to were most of the players are level wise. Game is free to play and you can try out the 85sgame for free and check out all the available things. Me and my wife plays a Mystic/Zerker duo and in our guild on Antonia Bayle we are at least 3 couples at the moment.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Dont know if theres a difference if you play from Europe but just a warning SOE games are run by a 3rd party here who do a terrible job.

If your from the US then the SOE world is your oyster!

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

FFXIV

1. You both can switch roles by leveling up different classes on the same char. 

2. You can acquire end-game gear by crafting, if you are willing to work for it.

The only thing it lacks is housing, but that is in the works.