Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen or Elite: Dangerous?

Comments

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by goldtoof
    Also really don't give a shit about walking around my ship. Why the sc and x devs are putting so much effort into something players will do a couple of times as a novelty then completely forget about when they are in the cut and thrust of actually playing the game I do not know.

Yep, you seem clueless...

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    So you will be regularly walking around your ship weeks after buying the game will you?

It's just a feature that looks good when.make.g marketing videos, and no doubt will be fun to do ONCE when you buy a new ship. But when your actually playing, like in a dog fight or scouting a new planet or working on a new trade route or hinting a pirate, you will never use it.
  • PumaClipperPumaClipper Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Imsneaky
    Originally posted by PumaClipper

Found this.  Some modder made this Freelancer from SC fly like a helicopter in Cryengine.  If he can do that, I have little doubt that Roberts and his team will be able to have free flight in planetary atmospheres. 

You are showing misleading stuff again, this is just 1 small CryEngine level, not a full planet.

See, there ya go again.  No it is not misleading.  I clearly stated that if this guy can do this, and he is not a professional developer, then Chris and company can make planets full featured and flyable.  Nowhere did I say that this was something done by the SC devs, or that it was full in game.

The simple fact is that they CAN make the atmospheres of the planets flyable, if they want to, but I think they are more worried about getting the first part of the game done, and bug free, as soon as possible, and then worry about that stuff later.

There is a big technical difference between flying around a small level and seamless freeform full planetary atmospheric  flight.

The technical difference isn't just linear, you need a whole different approach and most likely a new engine to make that work.

Procedural and detail are orthogonal concepts.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    They've been quite clever with elite though, universe is procedural. But planets we know of are added to it.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    So you will be regularly walking around your ship weeks after buying the game will you?

It's just a feature that looks good when.make.g marketing videos, and no doubt will be fun to do ONCE when you buy a new ship. But when your actually playing, like in a dog fight or scouting a new planet or working on a new trade route or hinting a pirate, you will never use it.

You are a bit out of touch.  Star Citizen will have first person FPS combat for ship boarding and on lawless planets.  Over 560 planetary landing sites at launch.

There is a whole level of out of ship gameplay you've obviously missed.

For the OP - Star Citizen definitely.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

My advice is go elite if your a more pure space sim'er or go Star Citizen if your looking for more dog fighting style of game.

And yes i will be getting both but im betting on elite being more sandboxy in the long-term than SC, but im betting SC will be more popular.

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Butch808

And yes i will be getting both but im betting on elite being more sandboxy in the long-term than SC, but im betting SC will be more popular.

This is why I went for Elite, but I'm guessing I will give S.C a shot as well. But the sanboiness of Elite is prolly what will make me stick to it in the long run.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

So you will be regularly walking around your ship weeks after buying the game will you?It's just a feature that looks good when.make.g marketing videos, and no doubt will be fun to do ONCE when you buy a new ship. But when your actually playing, like in a dog fight or scouting a new planet or working on a new trade route or hinting a pirate, you will never use it.

If you have capital/multi person ships and you play with your friends, you sure as hell walk around in your ship. You will walk up to man the turrets, to get into snub fighter, put out the fire, fight against ppl that want to board your ship and much much more.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Why choose? Play both - they are not coming out at the same time anyways (Elite: Dangerous will be quite a bit later as I recall) and both are instant classics the minute they are announced anyways.

If past work is anything to judge by I believe Star Citizen will be more detailed in terms of the player environment (and so far it seems to be that way) whereas Elite: Dangerous will be more detailed in terms of the universe and interstellar geo-politics itself

• doberekdoberek Member Posts: 7
    As i see star will have bigger imersion. I hope i will fell more like a pilot a character than a ship:p alos lets look on enviroment for players. As developer i still dont know how they made so big moving ships with npc and life inside. Damn thats epic. Elit? have nothing specia? to offer in this case.
    Originally posted by doberek
    As i see star will have bigger imersion. I hope i will fell more like a pilot a character than a ship:p alos lets look on enviroment for players. As developer i still dont know how they made so big moving ships with npc and life inside. Damn thats epic. Elit? have nothing specia? to offer in this case.

Elite: Dangerous will also have that, it's all explained in the FAQ

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ#Can_I_walk_around_the_ship.2C_planets_and_space_stations.3F

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Why choose? Play both - they are not coming out at the same time anyways (Elite: Dangerous will be quite a bit later as I recall) and both are instant classics the minute they are announced anyways.

Elite: Dangerous will be released in early 2014, like roughly a year earlier than Star Citizen.

If past work is anything to judge by I believe Star Citizen will be more detailed in terms of the player environment (and so far it seems to be that way) whereas Elite: Dangerous will be more detailed in terms of the universe and interstellar geo-politics itself

Past work isn't necessarily a good indicator.

The goal of Elite: Dangerous is to have very detailed player environments too, as you can see in these videos and the previous links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM0Gcl7iUM8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9k7E4ngFw&t=45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4-gyDLRMXg&t=389

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

SC seems much more like a breathing universe. Love what Chris Roberts and his team is doing so far. Not only will you have space combat, but also ground combat and you can have explorer as a profession or miner, salvager bounty hunter, merc, pirate, traider, smuggler or even own a factory.

Not sure if Elite does offer all of this aswell.

Good god this is an exciting concept. Well it's obviously much more than just a "concept" now anyway. Mr Roberts is realizing his dream game . Can you just imagine the possibilities for expanding this already amazing looking universe!. Excited for this one!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Elite seems to be much larger in scope and is trying to simulate the real milky way galaxy, as in have 400 billion star systems and realistic scale and physics for everything like planets and stars will rotate and tilt.  The gravity of stars, planets and moons will be accurate to real life and also effect your gameplay too.  It will have Gas Giants, Black Holes and Nebulas too.  SC will have 115 star systems and everything will be static.

Elite cockpit interior preview

Elite cockpit interior preview

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    I've been longing for a EVE-like MMO. A sandbox space game like EVE, but where your own skills controlling the ship matters. A game where the players control the economy etc. Which one of these two games should I hope for? And what sets them apart from each other, and from EVE?

I don't know anything about the second game you listed, but I know SC is not going to be totally open world like EVE...will have a lot of instances and limited ships per...which I'm bummed about.  Still gonna give it a whirl though.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

This is some wildlife technology your could expect on the Elite: Dangerous planets in the walk around expansion.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ#Can_I_walk_around_the_ship.2C_planets_and_space_stations.3F

New Elite: Dangerous Newsletter talking about alpha, new website, space suits and walking around avatar stuff .

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=f703580f39

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

Star Citizen for me. Sounds like it will have a better more crafted universe.

The only way Elite would have won me 100 % over, is if it had the "procedurally generated universe" with EVE online rules(not ships or combat style).

I mean, having a procedurally generated universe in an empire building game would have been awesome, but elite sounds like you can solo/only play with friends in the persistent/mmo portion of the game. Which I don't get. Elite had all the potential to me to be the PvP game with no boundries I wanted, but now somehow, Star Citizen seems to offer better PvP options(since at least their slider mechanic will not block out 100% PvP anywhere, and in fact does not work at all in lawless space).

• cheeseheadscheeseheads Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by PumaClipper

New Elite: Dangerous Newsletter talking about alpha, new website, space suits and walking around avatar stuff .

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=f703580f39

thanks for the info.  good to see that alpha is on the way,  cant wait to play this game.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

Found this.  Some modder made this Freelancer from SC fly like a helicopter in Cryengine.  If he can do that, I have little doubt that Roberts and his team will be able to have free flight in planetary atmospheres.   What Gary and Chris are doing is not like normal games..nor are the constrained in direction like normal games are.  Could EA get done, what I am talking about?  No, the wouldn't even try.  They aren't interested in that type of game.  They want games that are hot for 6 months, not 10 or more years.  Gary and Chris talked about that in that video.

I think both games will be great, and my advice to anyone who likes these types of games is to try both.  See which one fits your preferences.  You can always play both, but I am sure that most people like me won't have the time to dedicate to both games because of their scale.  But as it stands, I do not know which one I will prefer because I have not played either of them.

If you like videos like that;

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnythingFPS

This guy has done so much more since the helicoptor mod days.

• MarcusAureliusMarcusAurelius Member Posts: 2

It is that and more.

Elite Dangerous will have many features that will be gradually implemented. First will be procedural planets, stars, asteroids, over 100 celestial bodies that will be navigable upon release.

25 ships upon release, but with more ships from the back catalogue of 50 ships from the former Elite 3 universe.

It will have player owned or guild owned space stations which will need a huge array of support for players to collaborate to build and supply. Gradually upgradable to bigger more elaborate shipyards, stations, even player based cities on planets and moons. This will all come out gradually. Bear in mind Eve had 10 years to be the game it is today. Elite Dangerous is going to take a year or so before most of these features are available.

Another addition is player first person gameplay, the ability to walk around interiors, expand and upgrade ships to house passenger cabins, potentially bigger shuttle bays, repair bays, medical bays, the list goes on. NPC hiring to fill these roles in nearby stations or planets.

A 3 faction universe (Federation, Empire, Alliance) Each with their pros and cons.

Planetary landings and possible planet settlements for future installments. Big game hunting of alien wildlife is a big drawcard David Braben was commenting upon. As well as just flying through gas giants with volumentric procedural cloud cover.

You be the judge.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

one thing for certain if  eve dose not  get its finger out and one of these new games actually pulls of  something  that's as equal to eve if not better

they  could have a huge problem asking for a subscription for  a equal game

only  time will tell   but i for certain didn't play eve  for its point and  click control  and  always wanted a x-wing tie fighter sim

i used to play elite b4 and  was one of my top 10 games of all times 

so i am looking forward to a reboot  of that  but  i will still buy  star citizen as i too also look forward to both 

you cant judge any game yet as there isnt really anything to go on and the only game  thats out is eve  which at this moment probably is the best space game

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

I'm a realist and even if I didn't know who Chris Roberts was $32,000,000 vs. $3,200,000? I realize there are alot of people who want Star Citizen to fail. But I honestly believe it will be a pretty darn good game considering how transparent they are with their fanbase. The issue will come down to required hardware and the need to upgrade to play. People who try to play on lower end machines are just not going to have the same experience others who can afford better machines will have. To hate or dislike people with such means is really kind of ridiculous. I hope both games are great and people like what they like. 

Rebirth needs alot of work, EvE seems to still be going strong but that game does not interest me any longer. 

The Mandate? Elite:Dangerous? Star Citizen? Lots of Scifi goodness moving forward, we can only wait and see.

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

This discussion has been closed.