Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Neverwinter: New Paragon Paths Explained

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Along with the general announcement about Module 2 for Neverwinter came the more specific, and exciting, announcement that a second paragon path would be added for all player classes. We caught up with Cryptic's Combat Designer Grant Allen to find out more. Read on and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

MMORPG:  New paths are one of the things players have been dying for to truly differentiate their characters in the game.  How will these new paths help accomplish this?

Grant Allen:  Paragon Paths add new powers and feats for players to unlock, and having different options means it’s less likely that a fellow player will be using the exact same skill setup as you are.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Neverwinter: New Paragon Paths Explained.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Been waiting for these.  Good news!

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Yep, the more build options are always the better. And it's a nice promo video.

However, is it wise to give GWF's Threatening Rush and Frontline Surge? Just asking... :)

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    All this, should have been there at launch.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

When I have stopped laughing i'll boot DDO back up...

Seriously, though. If we could just have someone find a middle ground between this an DDO, we could have a truely great game. As it stands, DDO is great, but with a harsh learning curve to figure out builds, though the revamped Enhancement system goes a long way, it is still way to hard figure out how all the parts fit together. Neverwinter on the other hand is too simple and the f2p model too obviously money-grabby.

• PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

Wow they added paths.....I am.....Un-impressed.

Its still so colorless and lackluster for game play....the replay-ability is there...but its just so bland...and has way too many gates in this game.

But I guess that's how it is for theme park type games like this.

I had hoped it would have some form of adventure or exploration or something....but instead its like small race track areas(ie they have invisible walls everywhere so you basically just go around a big loop) that you adventure on....with nothing new or neat to find...

And I am sorry I still hate how a class feature for the cleric is a penalty on their own healing, and how a potion still heals better then a cleric will ever be able to. 

This game is a bad version of dungeons and dragons....and makes all other MMORPGs look a million times better.

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Impressive promo video! I will be logging back on to play my thief (rouge).

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I was extremely sceptical about Neverwinter.

Played it and did a few dungeons, then i turned around and started playing more and more.

That doesnt mean the game is perfect, this game needs tons and tons of classes to keep the fun going.

But the graphics looks amazing and the he who loves dungeon crawling will realy love this mmo.

Haters gonne hate.

• gunjinngunjinn Member Posts: 24
    Great game to play a bit, make a big break, and then play it again. Now it will be next solid reason to play it for couple of weeks.
  • cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    This game is a record holder for me... Record for the worst MMO released in years. I spend longer time playing asian grinders than this steaming pile becasue believe it or not they were more finished and had better character modells/development.  Yay for spamming the same 3-4 skills over and over again
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

Hmm... I was excited for this announcement and am glad it's here but... Guardian Fighter and Swordmaster are kind of becoming the same "class" (even though they really are anyhow), and Ranger will only have one path.

I hope this means they were just incredibly hard pressed to get something out that the entire player base has demanded since beta before they lose too many players and that more similar updates will be coming in the not too distant future.

This also makes me wonder if they plan on completely combining the Guadian Fighter and Swordmaster in the future.

• EzbeeEzbee Member Posts: 31
    better late than never... unless you stopped playing the game because of things like this not being in at release, like it should have, and never plan on returning
  • TetheredTethered Member UncommonPosts: 55

I enjoy the game but I wish they would concentrate on adding more classes, I would really like to see druids / bards added (among others). I have played everything except the GWF. I am looking forward to more diversity in the current classes with the added paragon paths but where are the warpriests, battlemages... Epic Destinies!

You know you are old when the dev's on the games you play are almost young enough to be your grand-kids.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I was extremely sceptical about Neverwinter.

Played it and did a few dungeons, then i turned around and started playing more and more.

That doesnt mean the game is perfect, this game needs tons and tons of classes to keep the fun going.

But the graphics looks amazing and the he who loves dungeon crawling will realy love this mmo.

Haters gonne hate.

I played the game as well.  While I do agree with you that the game is fun.  I think you might want to make an eye doctor appointment.  NWO is probably the most ugly mmo I've played in the last few years.  It makes Rift look like its using Frostbite 3.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    I can't help but be disappointed by these. Especially the Devoted Cleric which is in desperate need of a damage build. It takes forever to kill things and the class can hardly solo its' way out of a paper bag. What do they do but give the cleric more useless healing and group buffs which they already have a million of. The control wizard could use some healing because they end up tanking a lot in this game. Meanwhile the trickster rogues are so over powered they are soloing group content while clerics are struggling to clear the solo stuff. They should be using this patch to ballance things out instead it is case of the rich getting richer while the poor get poorer. It is no wonder most people quit this game with days of hitting level 60.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Played a healer as I like to do in mmo's.

I'd stomach all the initial exploits, AH negative pricing escapade, one day to pvp cap, one day to lvl cap via Ogre pushing etc etc. After all it was Open Beta......mmm.

But I have never experienced a healer that is penalized for healing. Who in their right mind dreamed up that piece of nonsense. Seriously, a healer that cannot heal themselves and has to use potions?

Warriors use potions, Rogues use potions....not flaming healers. The whole point of a healing class is that you don't kill things that quickly but your self healing keeps you alive while you do this.

Never again.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

You forgot to mention the healer aggro bug in the beginning :)

Actually, since it's only an action mmo, clerics are more or less fine (I have 2 of them). I admit I'm not a huge fan of action mmo's, only playing them when I'm in the mood, but in those games - and in Neverwinter as well - healers are not the usual mmo heal spammers. Everyone has dodge mechanics, the combat is twitchy and quick, folks should take care of themselves, the healer is only there for backup.

In action mmo's the healer usually never able to fully outheal an enccounter, if someone is dumb enough to not dodging or holding the shield up, etc. - that dumb one is going to die, and no healer can save him. Plus in Neverwinter most folks running around with their built-in healbots, so clerics have even more breathing space.

• gunjinngunjinn Member Posts: 24

While smiting path on a cleric would be very welcome, I am perfectly happy with my old path damage-wise. My solo build with Ioun Stone lets me solo everything without any potions, and I wouldn't agree that killing Celadaine in 4-5 minutes is "forever". So I personally have nothing to moan about. 

I guess this new cleric path is for folks who run elite dungeons 24/7, and will have no good use in solo play.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Novusod
    I can't help but be disappointed by these. Especially the Devoted Cleric which is in desperate need of a damage build. It takes forever to kill things and the class can hardly solo its' way out of a paper bag. What do they do but give the cleric more useless healing and group buffs which they already have a million of. The control wizard could use some healing because they end up tanking a lot in this game. Meanwhile the trickster rogues are so over powered they are soloing group content while clerics are struggling to clear the solo stuff. They should be using this patch to ballance things out instead it is case of the rich getting richer while the poor get poorer. It is no wonder most people quit this game with days of hitting level 60.

so trickters still OP as hell, guardians arent even needed (because who needs a tank that can barely scratch mobs when u can get another rogue?), clerics are needed in pairs still?

what about GWF? still doing cleric-esque dmg? and CW ccing ppl to death in PVP?

suprised that rogues got a ranged skill with the new path :P

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by Po_gg

You forgot to mention the healer aggro bug in the beginning :)

Actually, since it's only an action mmo, clerics are more or less fine (I have 2 of them). I admit I'm not a huge fan of action mmo's, only playing them when I'm in the mood, but in those games - and in Neverwinter as well - healers are not the usual mmo heal spammers. Everyone has dodge mechanics, the combat is twitchy and quick, folks should take care of themselves, the healer is only there for backup.

In action mmo's the healer usually never able to fully outheal an enccounter, if someone is dumb enough to not dodging or holding the shield up, etc. - that dumb one is going to die, and no healer can save him. Plus in Neverwinter most folks running around with their built-in healbots, so clerics have even more breathing space.

Ah lol, I'd forgotten about the Benny Hill aggro chain with my character running round followed by 15+ adds. Looking back you have to laugh at those times and how it must have looked on a video capture. I think someone did put one on youtube to the Benny Hill music.

I play a Mystic as my main in Tera. That class also has no direct self heals, using orbs or a short life healing thrall in that action mmo. Somehow they have managed it without a self healing penalty.

• dragnmastralexdragnmastralex Member UncommonPosts: 29
    funny how they just nerfed the hunter ranger on the test server to be weaker than a cleric his aoe's are completely useless now and his melee does 3 times more than his ranged encounters.  no party is going to want a ranger when a rogue can still out damage them.
  • 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

Are 99% of the dungeons still the same with different colors ?

Are 100% of the dungeons still "kill or skip tons of trash dropping garbage or nothing at all until you are at a boss that spawns tons of trash dropping garbage or nothing at all" ?

Is the perfect group setup still "fill it with CW, rogues and clerics" ?

Is the lfg system still fucking awful ?

Is the GWFs main role still "looking cool while lfg-ing in town" ?

Is PvP still "you either heal or CC, or you are a rogue" ?