Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They are going to add new PVE content eventually, aren't they? Well, aren't they?

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

I picked up the game in January this year.  It occurred to me today that the game hasn't really changed that much in that time.  Thinking this could just be misremembering on my part, I looked through the patch notes for all patches released this year.  There was a ton of rebalancing skills and traits, and a healthy amount of bug fixes.  That's nice, but it's not new content.

As far as new stuff in PVE, the highlights basically consisted of converting magic find to an account-wide system, converting tokens to an account-wide wallet, adding a group finding mechanism for dungeons, changing the daily/monthly system (then later heavily nerfing the rewards to make it not matter so much), and adding some ridiculously grindy crafting stuff to craft ascended gear.  Other than the ascended gear, that's mostly good stuff, but it's not a whole lot for 10 months worth of updates.  There was quite a bit of temporary seasonal stuff, but when you add it one patch and then take it back down a few weeks later, that's not permanent content.

But more glaring is what there wasn't:  no new zones, no new dungeons, no new personal story quests, no new classes, only one new skill, and few or no new dynamic events outside of temporary seasonal ones.  In other words, the core content of the game is nearly the same as it was 10 months ago apart from some bug fixes and rebalancing.

In one sense, that they would go 10 months without much in the way of new content isn't surprising.  It's a buy to play game, after all, and the big thing that ArenaNet can reasonably ask players to buy is new content.  Guild Wars 1 didn't have that much in the way of new content added between the launches of new campaigns, either.  But Factions added a ton of new content.  So did Nightfall.  Eye of the North added much less than any campaign, but still a lot more than we've seen added to Guild Wars 2 this year.

I largely expected ArenaNet to take the same approach with Guild Wars 2.  And they might yet be doing so.  But it's well over a year since the initial launch, and I haven't heard anything about an upcoming new campaign or expansion or any such large, new batch of PVE content.  Is ArenaNet not going to do that, but rather, save it all for Guild Wars 3?  (But don't we get to kill the other elder dragons?  Even if Jormag is the only one causing all that much trouble at the moment.)  Is the new content coming but not announced, and ArenaNet is taking its time trying to mostly get things right?

I'm not complaining, really.  The game has a lot of content as it is.  And I think a lot of players put far too much emphasis on new content while ignoring the old.  But I'm just somewhat surprised that we still don't have an announcement of an upcoming new $50 expansion/campaign/big batch of new content.  Or was there such an announcement somewhere that I missed?

Comments

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

You get the "living story", now shut up & eat your gruel.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

almost all they've added is pve content

the pvper's are the ones who should be complaining

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Permanent changes to Kessex Hills with this latest Living Story update. Note the big, nasty (and quite fun and challenging) new tower in the middle of the lake. That's permanent.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Hmm to be fair, would be kinda weird adding new classes and skills while Eng/Necro/Ranger remain "underapreciated"

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Originally posted by Kenaoshi
    Hmm to be fair, would be kinda weird adding new classes and skills while Eng/Necro/Ranger remain "underapreciated"

Regarding new skills, one thing they're going to add soon is more weapons for each profession (each with unique skills for that profession). So eventually we'll have all weapons be valid for all professions. Lowest on the possibility list right now is new professions. We'll likely see new races long before that.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Originally posted by Volkon

Regarding new skills, one thing they're going to add soon is more weapons for each profession (each with unique skills for that profession). So eventually we'll have all weapons be valid for all professions. Lowest on the possibility list right now is new professions. We'll likely see new races long before that.

Now everybody can 2handed sword zerk wtfbbq dungeons yay image

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Now everybody can 2handed sword zerk wtfbbq dungeons yay image

Considering the complaints from the 'zerker crowd about the new tower I suspect that may not be the case.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

Our 100 plus membership quild has died in GW2 due to there being no new expansion, or even the announcement of one this year. Most of us have gone back to previous games such as LotRO, WOW etc. Some are playing single player games and some are about to buy one of the new consoles.

It looks like EQNL will be the next thing  to pull us back together now. I know several of us have already bought founders packs and others have expressed the intention to do so.

I really don't understand Arenanet's strategy. We all expected it to play out like GW1 and have regular expansions. Instead, it seems they've killed the golden goose as I just can't see they can be making the same sort of money from the cash shop.

Originally posted by reaperuk

Our 100 plus membership quild has died in GW2 due to there being no new expansion, or even the announcement of one this year. Most of us have gone back to previous games such as LotRO, WOW etc. Some are playing single player games and some are about to buy one of the new consoles.

It looks like EQNL will be the next thing  to pull us back together now. I know several of us have already bought founders packs and others have expressed the intention to do so.

I really don't understand Arenanet's strategy. We all expected it to play out like GW1 and have regular expansions. Instead, it seems they've killed the golden goose as I just can't see they can be making the same sort of money from the cash shop.

Well, they've stated that they're doing quite well with the cash shop, more than enough income to keep things rolling, so they're doing something right with the non-P2W style shop they have in place. Plus the population is still doing great, despite all these mythical 100 plus membership guilds all quitting that you read about on the forums. 

The thing with expansions... we're getting as much if not more content with the updates every two weeks, for no charge, than you'd get waiting six months for an expansion that you burn through in a month or two and have to wait for the next one. I don't know about anyone else, but I've found that, with WoW for example, that dead time between expansions results in MMO-by-schedule play instead of just playing. Raid on these certain days and times, gather mats or whatever off days for a couple hours, wish for something new. You don't have that problem with GW2... either something new was just released within the past week and you're still doing that or something new is about to be released within a week and you're looking forwards to that while finishing up the last new content.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

OP the main problem to you is that you haven't been around for awhile. Yes you read the notes, you saw the fixes and the introduction of fractals and ascended crafts but really Gw2 appeals to those who are actually playing the game. Bi-weekly updates give you something new to play and enjoy. It all has a meta story around and you gather bits and pieces around it or you blow it all off by going to a forum and spoil it for yourself. The living story is crafted to keep people IN. 

I enjoyed myself last night when the latest update came to be. The game still has by far the best and most flexible combat system out there (I do enjoy action combat, screw that button mashing) and the best UI. It's extremely comfortable to me to sit on my chair and play Gw2 without changing positions for hours on end. 

I also suggest you to watch the PAX 2013 interview with Colin Johanson to see what ANet has up their sleeve. 

Also I can only guess what you have done with your PvE but the games TONS of explorable achievements that go far above just completing map on 100% and the personal story. 

Since January there have been new dungeon paths, some have been revamped and by the end of the year we will get a whole new fractals based on user vote (The Cutthroat Politics story). I personally didn't like the outcome of this vote because I was looking forward to the "Fall of Abaddon" fractal but oh well, would dig a new fractal :) 

Beside Ascended weapon craft there is also full jewelry pack (amulet rings accessories) and a backpack.

Then there is still the Legendary which got a bit improved and this way they become very nice again.  Basically you can swap the stat of the weapon whenever u want (as long it is outside of combat of course). You need Berserker sword? No problem! Oh wait, but you don't want to be a glass cannon? Not an issue, just select what you and move on. 

IMO Gw2 is the best crafted MMO on the market today. On a crazy price. 

And whoever says Gw2 is P2W is really delusional and needs to see a doctor as soon as possible :) 

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

GW2s content delivery approach is pretty great for people who play 1) regularly, but also 2) moderately.

This clashes with two of the MMORPG demographics, the classic-clichéd 'no-lifers', and the more recent 'expansion hoppers'. The former exhaust the Living Story content in just a few days, and are then bored for the rest of the time until the next update. The latter just miss out on most of it due to most of the content being removed after a month. Unfortunately (for Arenanet), these 2 demographics may be the 2 largest among MMO players. They certainly seem to be the most vocal. 

Since the most common criticism towards the Living Story since it's beginning was the lack of visible permanent content additions, Arenanet has taken notice, but with the typical development schedule of an MMO, we're not likely to see their course corrections until the beginning of next year.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Naqaj

GW2s content delivery approach is pretty great for people who play 1) regularly, but also 2) moderately.

This clashes with two of the MMORPG demographics, the classic-clichéd 'no-lifers', and the more recent 'expansion hoppers'. The former exhaust the Living Story content in just a few days, and are then bored for the rest of the time until the next update. The latter just miss out on most of it due to most of the content being removed after a month. Unfortunately (for Arenanet), these 2 demographics may be the 2 largest among MMO players. They certainly seem to be the most vocal. 

Since the most common criticism towards the Living Story since it's beginning was the lack of visible permanent content additions, Arenanet has taken notice, but with the typical development schedule of an MMO, we're not likely to see their course corrections until the beginning of next year.

I don't think there are any 'no-lifers' in Gw2 anymore. They bursted through the content on the first month or so. My server is with high traffic and the community is nothing but great so far.

And the scheduled new WvW map for 10th December might mean the end of the WvW zerging. The map is designed to prevent zerging. It would be interesting to see how this one turns out. Of course the map wouldn't affect the WvW season score but i think its a start and im pretty sure they have something up their sleeve in that department as well. May the war against zerging has just began! 

P.S: Please do notice that this is the only MMO that actively takes step against zerging where zerging is possible (about every MMO with somewhat open PvP) 

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    But more glaring is what there wasn't:  no new zones, no new dungeons, no new personal story quests, no new classes, only one new skill, and few or no new dynamic events outside of temporary seasonal ones.  In other words, the core content of the game is nearly the same as it was 10 months ago apart from some bug fixes and rebalancing.

The Living Story is the main reason i stopped playing.  It was promising at first, but executed very poorly for around 8 months since it was implemented.  The latest new content that was added, in the traditional mmo sense, was Southsun Cove and Fractals, and a new dungeon that was supposed to come out, due to people voting in a Living Story chapter (not sure if it ever released).

There hasn't been significant armor sets released either, unless it's in the cash shop, which is a very bad idea.  The only new armor that's being released, are single pieces, such as back items, or other slots, but no new sets that can be acquired via dungeons or living story.  Fluff items and minis can only go so far.  This kills the incentive to log in.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Training_DummyTraining_Dummy Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Quizzical

I'm not complaining, really.  The game has a lot of content as it is.  And I think a lot of players put far too much emphasis on new content while ignoring the old.  

The game has a lot of content as it is.  And I think a lot of players put far too much emphasis on new content while ignoring the old.  If there was an expansion, what would be the result in pre-existing content that wasn't getting used?  How could they guarantee that the expansion content would be used -- and the followup: why not do that to the pre-existing content?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    Originally posted by Naqaj

I don't think there are any 'no-lifers' in Gw2 anymore. They bursted through the content on the first month or so. My server is with high traffic and the community is nothing but great so far.

And the scheduled new WvW map for 10th December might mean the end of the WvW zerging. The map is designed to prevent zerging. It would be interesting to see how this one turns out. Of course the map wouldn't affect the WvW season score but i think its a start and im pretty sure they have something up their sleeve in that department as well. May the war against zerging has just began! 

P.S: Please do notice that this is the only MMO that actively takes step against zerging where zerging is possible (about every MMO with somewhat open PvP) 

What's strange is most open world MMO's, particularly those in development brag about their ability to deliver 300 vs 300 person battles, basically... a zerg.

So wonder which it is that players really want, zerg or no zerg?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Permanent changes to Kessex Hills with this latest Living Story update. Note the big, nasty (and quite fun and challenging) new tower in the middle of the lake. That's permanent.

Has ArenaNet explicitly said that it's permanent?  The overwhelming majority of "living world" content gets taken back down after a few weeks.

No, your guild died to a lack of recruiting.  Particular players of a game slowly leave, even if new players are joining the game faster than old ones are leaving, and that results in a guild dying if you don't replace them.  Meanwhile, active recruiting can keep a guild active for a very long time even in a game that is dying.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

I can't remember how long it took for a new expansion in any of the games you mentioned ? ...perhaps time goes by a little faster as you get  older . If the reason your 100 plus member guild died was they didn't have an expansion in 16 months of play I'm afraid the choices you have in the mmo gender are few to none .

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

You get the "living story", now shut up & eat your gruel.

God I love this comment, it's only missing one thing. You have a limited time to eat as much gruel as you can before they take it away from you.

You do get a different flavored gruel regularly though. Bland to Dirt to Not-so-bad to Vanilla to, well you get the idea. 

What really killed GW2 for me is that a number of our larger WvW guilds transferred away before the new season. Where we used to have a fighting chance at 1st or 2nd, we're getting roflstomped on a regular basis. That and I don't find the PvE all that enjoyable, which makes it hard to be an altoholic when you don't really like PvE leveling. Leveling in WvW can be very frustrating at times, for all parties involved as well.

The thing with expansions... we're getting as much if not more content with the updates every two weeks, for no charge, than you'd get waiting six months for an expansion that you burn through in a month or two and have to wait for the next one. I don't know about anyone else, but I've found that, with WoW for example, that dead time between expansions results in MMO-by-schedule play instead of just playing. Raid on these certain days and times, gather mats or whatever off days for a couple hours, wish for something new. You don't have that problem with GW2... either something new was just released within the past week and you're still doing that or something new is about to be released within a week and you're looking forwards to that while finishing up the last new content.

If you take all of the content in the game today and subtract out all of the content that was also in the game at the start of the year, the difference would be vastly less than Nightfall alone added to Guild Wars 1 all at once: 2 new classes, 34 new zones, 20 new missions, over 200 new quests, over 200 new skills, heroes, etc.  Nightfall itself released just shy of 6 months after Factions also added a ton of content.  And even that is heavily biasing the comparison in favor of GW2, as a large fraction of the "new" content of this year that you count that way would be temporary content that is going to be taken down shortly and doesn't increase the total amount of content in the game long-term.

Guild Wars 2 has a lot of content; I'm not complaining that the game is completely barren.  And I do appreciate a lot of the innovations that it brought, such as renown hearts and letting groups do dungeons with five arbitrary characters regardless of class.  But I just find it odd that ArenaNet isn't adding much in the way of new content, nor have they announced any plans to do so.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I was wondering how GW2 was going to play out content wise.  The lack of a subscription is a risky move for a game whose goal was to actually beat WOW.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I was wondering how GW2 was going to play out content wise.  The lack of a subscription is a risky move for a game whose goal was to actually beat WOW.

Reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly

I quit, no I quit, but then again should suck it in cause it's the most popular logic on this website.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

OP the main problem to you is that you haven't been around for awhile. Yes you read the notes, you saw the fixes and the introduction of fractals and ascended crafts but really Gw2 appeals to those who are actually playing the game. Bi-weekly updates give you something new to play and enjoy. It all has a meta story around and you gather bits and pieces around it or you blow it all off by going to a forum and spoil it for yourself. The living story is crafted to keep people IN. 

I've been around for the majority of time since GW2 launched; I picked up the game in January.  I've done over 200 distinct personal story quests, not counting repeating the same quest on multiple characters.  I've had 53 successful dungeon runs.  According to my achievements, I've completed 1911 dynamic events.  If that's a player too new to the game to have any idea of what is going on, then you'd invalidate the observations of all but a tiny fraction of the game's player base.

Much of your post argues that GW2 is a good game and has a lot of stuff to do.  And I'm not disagreeing with that.  I'm just puzzled that ArenaNet hasn't been adding much more new content apart from seasonal stuff that they take down pretty quickly, and you offer no explanation for that.  That would make sense if they have content designers saving it for an upcoming expansion, but there hasn't been any announcement of that, either.

I've seen an awful lot of patches.  Most of the "big" bi-weekly patches are a huge download (download size of games is driven almost entirely by textures and audio) that doesn't change much, as it's mostly temporary new artwork.  The patch during the time I've played the game that I was most excited about head of time was converting magic find to an account-wide system.  In retrospect, the best patch was adding champion loot bags, mainly because it would give people incentives to kill champions rather than letting a lot of dynamic event lines get stuck when a champion shows up because most level-appropriate players couldn't or wouldn't solo the champion.  While those are both good things, for those to be the most exciting patches to release this year says a lot about what wasn't being added to the game.

I brought having read through the old release notes just to say that I looked to see if anything more interesting was added that I had forgotten about.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

They're adding 3 new fractals in 2 weeks.  Though two of them are reworks of old dungeons, but you either count it as new content or as old temporary content that only left temporarily and is now permanent.

Sometime late this year or early next year the Scarlet arc is supposed to be finished, and it's pretty obvious it's rolling forward into dragon territory (Prooooobably the jungle dragon, from the hints being dropped), which is going to mean new maps.

A year and a half for expansion type content isn't really abnormally long, though it's unclear if they're going to roll it out through living story or actually release an expansion.  Given the lack of advertising, I'm guessing probably living story new zones if it's the beginning of the year, though if it's a few months later they might still have time to advertise for an expansion.  They've ALWAYS said, since the very beginning, that there was no chance in hell they were going to do the expansion release speed of GW1.  The living story people aren't the only people working on GW2, they have lots of people who are working on the long term things, and in various areas.

They did add a whole new zone, early on in the game, and a bunch of new events, but neither one of those were particularly popular, so they shifted their focus a bit.  Between the shifting of their focus and creating the holiday events, which are supposed to be reoccuring with minor changes as they come back (Like this Halloween), they were slower earlier.  They said that living story will be picking up in the future.  I'll give them until the first couple months of the year to see how well they've adapted to it.