Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Founder's Pack Poll

Burdoc101Burdoc101 Member UncommonPosts: 283

Just curious how many people have paid so far and who I might see in alpha/beta of Landmark.

Also who might disagree with the founder's pack.

I bought the Trail blazer pack myself. Always liked SOE and the EQ franchise and am willing to support them.

https://www.eqnlandmark.com/founders-pack

{edit] Whoops meant to put Trail blazer in the poll not Trailerblazer lol :-), oh well can't edit.

Comments

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

Explorer pack.

I hope I haven't wasted my money! :)

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by Burdoc101

Just curious how many people have paid so far and who I might see in alpha/beta of Landmark.

I bought the Trail blazer pack myself. Always liked SOE and the EQ franchise and am willing to support them.

{edit] Whoops meant to put Trail blazer in the poll not Trailerblazer lol :-), oh well can't edit.

Personally, I think founder packs are insane.  A scam, a rip-off, etc.  I can't believe that people buy these things.

I mean, think about it.  You are PAYING for a chance to TEST their software?  WTF???  Companies hire SQA engineers for that, and many of them make a good chunk of change doing it.  I'm a principal software engineer, I've done some SQA as well, and the idea of not only doing it for free, but to PAY someone else for this service ASTOUNDS me.  Just for what?  Some useless virtual items?  Jeez.

Seriously, what are you people thinking?

Pre-orders, in the game industry are mindless enough, but now founders packs?  What's next?  We write code for them too, then pay them to do it?  Maybe we should park their cars for them as they roll into work.

Just say NO to founders packs, pre-orders, etc.  I'm amazed that people fall for this crap.

• SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140

I'll pay a solid price for a pre-order of the game with nice perks. But for me I can't see dishing out $50 or $100 to play in a games alpha/beta stages and when we still don't know that much on it. Plus you consider this sounds like a pre-order for beta access, not a pre-order of the actual game that happens to add beta access.

Now I loved EQ1 and EQ2 in their day but SoE has still has a lot of my trust to regain after destroying Vanguard which could have been the next big thing we were all playing now if they didn't force it out well before it was ready. With that and the changes to EQ2 and EQ1 over the many years dumbing stuff down I can't warrant that extra cost yet.

I'll wait and see. Plus I'm really waiting on EQN, EQNL is just a stepping stone at best for me.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Through ingenious marketing, and eliteist gamers, developers have convinced their consumers that paying to beta test a product is somehow special.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    HappyFunBall

First, your name is fantastic. Second I would usually agree with you but in the case of EQN:L it's not just testing early, though there is that.

There is the items which you have mentioned, items that themselves would be worth money on the standard SoE market place.

The most important thing for Landmark specifically is that what you build from Alpha, day one will stay forever. Yes, they will wipe the servers but not before making a template of what you have built. Yes, you have to collect all the mats again but the designs are kept. I imagine there are people that for months now have been coming up with ideas and want to be in on day one to start building.

The other thing is that when launch comes founders will get a two day head start. That means plots close to the "Landmarks" at which players will port to and from will be available. Plots are able to be sold on the marketplace so the initial 20-100.00 may end up being even or more.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Echoing similar feelings. Going to wait. I do not pay someone to alpha/beta test a game. When there is more solid gameplay information I would consider a pre-order.

• Burdoc101Burdoc101 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by HappyFunBall
    Originally posted by Burdoc101

Personally, I think founder packs are insane.  A scam, a rip-off, etc.  I can't believe that people buy these things.

I mean, think about it.  You are PAYING for a chance to TEST their software?  WTF???  Companies hire SQA engineers for that, and many of them make a good chunk of change doing it.  I'm a principal software engineer, I've done some SQA as well, and the idea of not only doing it for free, but to PAY someone else for this service ASTOUNDS me.  Just for what?  Some useless virtual items?  Jeez.

Seriously, what are you people thinking?

Pre-orders, in the game industry are mindless enough, but now founders packs?  What's next?  We write code for them too, then pay them to do it?  Maybe we should park their cars for them as they roll into work.

Just say NO to founders packs, pre-orders, etc.  I'm amazed that people fall for this crap.

Hmm, i didn't pay $100 dollars for the perks, just early access. I paid the most just because I wanted too and want to support EQN/Landmark/SOE. 

Sure I am throwing my money at something that could fail and be a huge upset, but I don't want to see that and want to support it.

Example, kickstarters like Star Citizen. I paid 60 bucks to support them when they were not even close to their first bar, now look 24 million dollars later from their starting 2 million mark (and still rising).  I haven't paid another dime since I first have, and I knew from the beginning I was paying into something that could flop and could have not even existed if it didn't even make the 2 million dollar mark. 

Another note, this game is going to be free to download and you won't have to pay a single dime in it. As a F2P game they have to make money some how and I am willing to spare some cash. I say I got a deal like a regular game worth $60.00 and 2 1/2 months of subscriptions fees ($15).

Its a gamble and I am a healthy conscious consumer willing to risk my own money whether it is good or bad. Its not like they held a gun to my head to do this, I just wanted to.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

No. 

I am currently quite annoyed by the whole EQN and EQN:L thing right now.  Why?  So much hype this summer, so little deliverance of substance. 

Delays and delays.  EQN:L is not being released in the winter anymore.  EQN?  We haven't heard anything substantive or SEEN anything substantive.  Man, that MMORPG Best Of Show 2013 seems to have been justifiably rewarded.  My faith in the reporting, and credentials, of this site are increasing.  Vaporware wins, apparently.

And now they are asking people to pay for ALPHA and CLOSED BETA?  Not impressed. 

Get an unbiased playerbase to test your game.  I will listen to them.

Originally posted by Telondariel

No. 

I am currently quite annoyed by the whole EQN and EQN:L thing right now.  Why?  So much hype this summer, so little deliverance of substance. 

Delays and delays.  EQN:L is not being released in the winter anymore.  EQN?  We haven't heard anything substantive or SEEN anything substantive.  Man, that MMORPG Best Of Show 2013 seems to have been justifiably rewarded.  My faith in the reporting, and credentials, of this site are increasing.  Vaporware wins, apparently.

And now they are asking people to pay for ALPHA and CLOSED BETA?  Not impressed. 

Get an unbiased playerbase to test your game.  I will listen to them.

That was very silly of them to hype, let alone reward them. Made me believe landmark beta would be atleast this month, but as we know...well you know.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Explorer, don't need to go with the more expensive version as the only reason to alpha Landmark is to get the design tools in hand early to learn how to mod for release and even take part in creating the main game with developers if we are good enough.

There is a rather large group of us developers from the Nexus sight that are jumping all over this and Shroud of the Avatar to bring our brand of modding and make some money. Its about damn time MMO's opened up and left behind the old outdated small box game design the genre has been trapped in and opened up to allowing players to actually create the worlds we want to play in.

This is the future of MMOs, games like TESO and their ilk are nothing but money grabs that companies are going to start seeing as a waste of an investment...then perhaps the smaller studios can start to compete again, and it will all be through the ilk of kickstarters and founders packs.

And to those complaining, deal with it...they are not targeting you with this, they are targeting modders and those that want to actually take part in CREATING the game...players are a dime a dozen and get the end product.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by jtcgs

Explorer, don't need to go with the more expensive version as the only reason to alpha Landmark is to get the design tools in hand early to learn how to mod for release and even take part in creating the main game with developers if we are good enough.

There is a rather large group of us developers from the Nexus sight that are jumping all over this and Shroud of the Avatar to bring our brand of modding and make some money. Its about damn time MMO's opened up and left behind the old outdated small box game design the genre has been trapped in and opened up to allowing players to actually create the worlds we want to play in.

This is the future of MMOs, games like TESO and their ilk are nothing but money grabs that companies are going to start seeing as a waste of an investment...then perhaps the smaller studios can start to compete again, and it will all be through the ilk of kickstarters and founders packs.

And to those complaining, deal with it...they are not targeting you with this, they are targeting modders and those that want to actually take part in CREATING the game...players are a dime a dozen and get the end product.

Forgot about the player studio market...maybe I can get my money back if I am good enough at creating stuff.

I disagree though that TESO and alike will be money grabs or a waste of time. SUBs, FTP, BTP are needed competition for the market, plus there is no perfect game only the perfect game for you. 

I also think TESO will still be a valid competition for EQN,

• MesamhainMesamhain Member Posts: 4
    I got the trailblazers, and I am super excited for it. the potential for the modding community and for sales and the admittedly small chance to be in the  the actual game with my creations is a huge draw for me.
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Sure.

Now back to reality.

You can buy into the hype, or be a smarter consumer of a product.  What exactly is SOE asking of you?  Investment.  With little shown of their actual product, they want you to invest:  Founders.  Nothing wrong with that, right?  Or, is there? 

I'm sure no one has bought a Founders package before.  Remember Neverwiner and their Founder's package?  $200.  EQN:L at $100 for their max tier (with undisclosed fashions, ambiguous bonuses via gear, and a title, woo!) is a STEAL! 

Not much meat; too much smoke.

Oh, and for the disillusioned, they are simply targeting those that have open wallets.  Alpha access is not a skill. 

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

Personally speaking, I have nothing wrong with Founders packs in principle. But, that being said, I wont ever buy one. Why on earth would I spend money to play the same game everyone else plays for free? You really arent getting anything for that money, its all cosmetic, or alittle convenience, but I have all the time in the world. So getting a head start, or starting with a better tool is meaningless to me personally, but I have nothing against those who feel they need to pay for the same thing. 

In the end, a company is a company. Their main goal will always be to make money. The better ones just give you your moneys worth and not rip you off. I dont believe anything SOE is doing here is a ripoff, and for those who dont want to spend money, or cant afford it, you are not missing out on anything. 

I actually love founders packs like this, because now when I travel the world, every time I see one of those silly flags, I will just laugh at knowing that person spent real money, when I havent spent a dime (its like one of those Tshirts... I paid for the game and all I got was this Flag)

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I see nothing wrong with paying to test software for the game. This could be the way of the future, where if we  don't get it working right from the start we are all to blame. Of course them more than us, they should listen to us on what we think needs fixing a little better. Other than that the pricing is a little up there for trail blazer and explorer. Maybe 40 and 60 for the two may be more realistic. They are after all going to make a little more on the 60/40 deal. Overall I do think this is a great idea and maybe it could make SOE finally come out with another EQ game that pulls us all in for a few years, :D
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

Originally posted by Brenics
    I see nothing wrong with paying to test software for the game. This could be the way of the future, where if we  don't get it working right from the start we are all to blame. Of course them more than us, they should listen to us on what we think needs fixing a little better. Other than that the pricing is a little up there for trail blazer and explorer. Maybe 40 and 60 for the two may be more realistic. They are after all going to make a little more on the 60/40 deal. Overall I do think this is a great idea and maybe it could make SOE finally come out with another EQ game that pulls us all in for a few years, :D

So, $100 makes my testing voice more valid than my $20 voice?

Do you see the flaw there, or do you not?

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

So... in a nut shell, a lot of people here are either convinced this game will be a rip off, or hate the idea of spending anything on a f2p game. Glad to see others here get that this is an art tool, and when put in that category, getting in early to practice creating is well worth it to those of us already invested and planning our projects.

I went with Explorer, as the sooner I and hopefully others I may work with get started on this the better. All these comparisons to mmos is missing the point. As someone that pays thousands for Animation and Modelling software this is a steal. Not only will we be able to experiment with set and location design for machinima but test how SOEmote works on the new models, I guess we are learning who on this forum is creative, and who just sees this as another WoW fix to use up and dump.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I will likely get the Settlers package for Christmas. So much garbage has come out lately that I am more than happy to send them a tiny bit to get in the game a month or two early and give it a go. Won't be the first time I spent $20 to get into a game early and probably won't be the last, it isn't some big deal. I'd rather see this pay model than make me pay $60 up front and $15 a month which is the insane pay model that people seem to accept.

Originally posted by zevni78

So... in a nut shell, a lot of people here are either convinced this game will be a rip off, or hate the idea of spending anything on a f2p game. Glad to see others here get that this is an art tool, and when put in that category, getting in early to practice creating is well worth it to those of us already invested and planning our projects.

I went with Explorer, as the sooner I and hopefully others I may work with get started on this the better. All these comparisons to mmos is missing the point. As someone that pays thousands for Animation and Modelling software this is a steal. Not only will we be able to experiment with set and location design for machinima but test how SOEmote works on the new models, I guess we are learning who on this forum is creative, and who just sees this as another WoW fix to use up and dump.

I'm glad you have clearly stated your bias. 

For the player, and not the professional (who pays thousands of dollars for what you stated) , we'll see if this pans out as a viable medium.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by Brenics

So, $100 makes my testing voice more valid than my $20 voice?

Do you see the flaw there, or do you not?

I said it should be lowered, also I don't look at it as having more of a voice. I look at what it does give you. Four sharable beta keys  is pretty cool so 5 of us can get in for 20 bucks. Not really a bad deal.

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

I don't know how we ended up in this mess. 

The software companies have now convinced people that it's in their best interest to pay the developers for Alpha/Beta access by making them believe that they have an influence on the games design and quality.

Here is some news for all of you. You have no influence on them whatsoever. You are here to provide extra cash while the game is not even released yet. If it's not a feature they already thought about they will not implement it just because a few Alpha players want it. You will not influence anything at all, the game will still release way too early with way too many bugs and you all be crying and writing it off after a few months.

Specifically in this case where the game is FREE TO PLAY it's insane to give them the equivalent of a full price AAA release or even more!

I will never support any game that does these kind of early access packs. Paying up to $100 to test the game for them and for a few cosmetic, meaningless items in a game is completely crazy!

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Originally posted by taus01

I don't know how we ended up in this mess. 

The software companies have now convinced people that it's in their best interest to pay the developers for Alpha/Beta access by making them believe that they have an influence on the games design and quality.

Here is some news for all of you. You have no influence on them whatsoever. You are here to provide extra cash while the game is not even released yet. If it's not a feature they already thought about they will not implement it just because a few Alpha players want it. You will not influence anything at all, the game will still release way too early with way too many bugs and you all be crying and writing it off after a few months.

Specifically in this case where the game is FREE TO PLAY it's insane to give them the equivalent of a full price AAA release or even more!

I will never support any game that does these kind of early access packs. Paying up to $100 to test the game for them and for a few cosmetic, meaningless items in a game is completely crazy!

I have played in tons of closed betas and the player base has had an influence on all of them. SC2, WoW, DAOC, Vanguard, Shadow Bane etc. You are crazy if you think they won't listen to the player base during development.

I am paying my $20 for no other reason than the early access though. I am almost done with TSW and have struggled to find other games to play. To me it is fully worth $20 to start playing a couple months early. I don't know why anyone has some huge issue with that. I expect to get at least as much fun out of Landmark as I do going out to the bars one night, the price is about the same.

• theglenn3theglenn3 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    No one misses what EQ used to be more than me.  No way I trust SoE to deliver, if anything they have only gotten worse. EQ landmark?? roflmao So 100 bucks for a game thats not everquest next.....I fail to see the value.  It acually makes me think of World of World of Warctaft http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8gE3lnpLQ

Optimizing PC games for consoles is kinda like outfitting your car for a bike trail.

• Fly666monkeyFly666monkey Member UncommonPosts: 161
    I'd be far more willing to lay down some money if they put up some gameplay videos. and not just these 1 minute clip fests, how about a couple of hours of raw gameplay? Even in an Alpha state, showing off a bit of the game itself can entice potential customers who would otherwise not have made a commitment.

Originally posted by Fly666monkey
    I'd be far more willing to lay down some money if they put up some gameplay videos. and not just these 1 minute clip fests, how about a couple of hours of raw gameplay? Even in an Alpha state, showing off a bit of the game itself can entice potential customers who would otherwise not have made a commitment.

To be honest I think they have shown you what they have. You can build junk and that is it right now. The alpha is going to be when they put the other features into place and they even stated that combat might not make release. The founder packs definitely require some faith on those who are buying them, not unlike kick starters or buying a game without trying it like many do with B2P games.

How will other players be allowed or limited to modifying your build areas without your consent?

They stated you can set your plots to any level of sharing from nobody can see it, to nobody can modify it to everyone can do whatever they want to it. They seem to be pretty aware of griefing and want to avoid it.