Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your "skill" level

Comments

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Holophonist
    Originally posted by PieRad Originally posted by Holophonist Originally posted by PieRad Originally posted by Holophonist Depends on the genre:   RTS: Top 1% or better FPS: Considerably above average MOBAs: I suck  
    I doubt it...
    In sc2 I'm typically around top .5%
    What is your name in SC2?
    Holophonist. I doubt you would've heard of me. I'm not pro or anything.

Made Master 8 times so that is indeed top 2% for US at least :) Good Job.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by Ender4

Originally posted by PieRad

Originally posted by Holophonist Depends on the genre:   RTS: Top 1% or better FPS: Considerably above average MOBAs: I suck  
    I doubt it...

Well based on points I'm usually, like I said, about .5%. Masters globally is about 3.5%.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by Ender4

Originally posted by Holophonist Depends on the genre:   RTS: Top 1% or better FPS: Considerably above average MOBAs: I suck  
    I doubt it...

Ye, that is pretty good... go get gm and make some money!

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Problem is not the player skills. It didn't really change over time regardless how people judge their skills. Problem with MMOs is that 99 % of the content is easy peasy. A brain dead monkey can master it. And next to 100 % or even 100 % is without any risk at all. There is that 1 % of challenging content (usually at endgame in level based games). But to get there you have play through the other 99 % first.

Why not have challenging content right from the start ? Because people will be discouraged ? Are we really all little whiny girls ? (no offense intended against girls here)

I am exagerating a little bit concerning the percentage values But I think you get my point.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    This question cant really be judged accurately unless you specify a specific genre or game.
  • LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662
    Originally posted by monochrome19
    This question cant really be judged accurately unless you specify a specific genre or game.

Wrong.

Most ppl who play games regularly are above average in comparision to the entire population or average compared to other gamers. These same ppl will pick up on new games much quicker than others who do not play video games on a regular basis. When you break it into genres, then you start getting into the e-sport realm of things and MMORPGs, generally, are not e-sports. 

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

How does this work? If you are good at something that is seen as easy, does that make you skilled? And lol at the folks that are placing themselves in some sort of % bracket.

• AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69

I'm not the greatest at video games. I guess I am better than the people who suck, but not at the level of a good player. I can't get my mind to grasp complicated mechanics or even such things as gear stats. I see the flood of numbers, and just lose all focus. If I didn't have tool-tips with green arrows saying "this gear is 6 higher block" than I would be out of luck.

FPS I can be pretty good at, but I get excited too easily and start to make mistakes or get jittery. RTS I am maybe one of the worst players in the universe. My friends tried to teach me Starcraft 2 and after 5 games I was able to get an army of mutalisks together and just charge them at the enemies base, and this was like 45 mins into a teaching game. I'm not good at management.

MOBA I get nervous that I am doing poorly whenever I am playing team-based games so I tend to avoid MOBAs. Sometimes I will hop into LoL when I am REALLY bored and play bot games. I don't really die, but my item selection is pretty much whatever sounds cool and if I'm not pushing bottom, I am completely lost.

So I answered below average. Maybe I push average, but it's hard to judge myself. You tend to be either better or worse than you think you are.

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Probably below average given that I don't tend to seek out competition.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

So 80% + at average and up. Confirming that gamers always overestimate themselves.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "Yes!"

oh god here we go. first comes the ghostbuster quotes, then its holy grail, next thing you know we are tit for tatting dos prompts....

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

I voted for above average. Even though I usually feel that I am the best in most situations, there are a few people I have come across that you would swear was a robot behind the screen because of how cool under pressure they are, or seem to be.

My best genre has to be racing simulators. I do feel like I am a top 1% there.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Lienhart
    Originally posted by monochrome19

Wrong.

Most ppl who play games regularly are above average in comparision to the entire population or average compared to other gamers. These same ppl will pick up on new games much quicker than others who do not play video games on a regular basis. When you break it into genres, then you start getting into the e-sport realm of things and MMORPGs, generally, are not e-sports. 

This logic is so asinine I'm not even going to argue with it...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by maplestone

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "Yes!"

Thx for that. I lol'd

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

Humz what to vote..

it depends on the gametype and what u consider skill.

ive been part of the old core raiders having cleared evrything up to the 4hm in naxxrammas that would put me at the top 1%? Im generally well in MMo's on the PvE front.

PvP however im abit slow on reactions i also don't play any straight up PvP like arenas i like open world PvP/ Bg's more (randomness) not using macro's doesn't really help in the pvp department.

FPS im above average meaning in an unknown map (lets say when a game just releases) i own the place. When people start to figure out hiding spots and whatever my skills deminish abit.

RTS below average. Im a slow builder a early zerg could destroy me quite easily.

so yeah what to vote. i think i lie somewhere in between of above average/better. i pick up things very quickly

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Some awesome and hilarious posts in this thread, thanks guys.

I put myself above average. Was a progression raider years ago but mostly now just look to have fun. I have a decent head for RTS games but I pretty much suck at any kind of PvP. :D

• KalSirian2KalSirian2 Member UncommonPosts: 42

Depends on the game, in some games I was at the very top, some others I feel like i'm average or above average, and then there are games that I plain suck at (like SC2).

I MMOS I'd say that i'm above average (skill wise), though it depends mostly on my time investment.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I actually think I'm a little below average on most games.

Now mind you I think I learn the game in and outs faster than most people, however I don't think I spend enough time in any particular game to really master well anything actually.

The few games that do keep track of dmg, i'm usually on the lower end, I have more deaths.

But I don't really go into details in the game anymore, I don't bother researching anymore (other than an occasional build) I don't go looking at gear or stats or anything anymore.  Ireally could care less about all that.

I just care if I'm entertained or not. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

What "skill" are you talking about though?

If you're talking about duels: I'm probably in the upper average part.

If you're talking about small sclae pvp: I'm probably up there pretty high

If you're taking about skill in large scale pvp, I'm in the high fields.

But...

If you're talking about skill in making money, crafting, getting my feet wet in the economy of the game etc., I'm probably in the lower averages.

There are many things that determine if someone is skilled imo, not in the last their social intelligence as a person. That might be the biggest skill ever.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    We're on a  MMORPG forum so I assume most of the people here are above average.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Boneserino I hope nobody hates me for this but I don't really play games to test my skill.  Its just not why I play.   Part of that might stem from the fact that I have very little skill.   I learned pretty quickly that I sucked at RTS games in the late 90's.  FPS I thought I was decent until I got owned by a nephew at Halo.  He destroyed me with childish ease. And the older you get the less you care anyway.  I  accurately placed myself at slightly better than a mouth breather.Me too. I put average because I'm at work and didn't want my coworkers watching me cry... again. :p Originally posted by maplestone Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "Yes!"
    I lol'd Originally posted by Foomerang oh god here we go. first comes the ghostbuster quotes, then its holy grail, next thing you know we are tit for tatting dos prompts....
    REM Try not to poke Foomerang

COPY mapleston.txt >> gstbstrs.txt

haha!

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Define "average" and then I could tell you.

You make me like charity