Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE will sell your Landmark creations and keep 60% of sales.

Comments

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

You are doing 100% of the work creating content, you get 40% of the sales.

SOE does 0% of the work and gets 60% of the sales.

Are you really saying this is fair?

ANY other real money auction house where you sell to other players has a tax of around 10-15% not 60% SIXTY!

you're not doing 100% of the work though, you are using tools THEY created in a world THEY created. as others have said you should be happy they are giving you the chance to make money off of this at all.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Participation is voluntary,they aren't forcing you to create content and if the profit split turns out to be distasteful to the majority then SOE will either have to close down the program or keep changing the split more in favor of the creator until they find the sweet spot in this market.Just because this is the initial split doesn't mean it will remain if the market doesn't bear it.

Also you don't need any of those additional tools mentioned to create content to sell,you can use just the tools provided in EQ:L to create items to sell using pre-existing basic assets.The tools mentioned are to create custom basic assets like textures etc if you so choose and is also voluntary.Presumably you could just sell that basic asset  to others to create items from or you coudl buy custom assets to create things with without ever having to touch tools outside the game.

Added to that anything you do create to sell has to be vetted by SOE first and determined suitable for use.This is especially true if your going to try to sell items in EQN,I imagine the rules will be much more relaxed in EQ:L.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

We shall see how much they really cost, at this point it is all speculation and we heard from posters that actually add to the discussion as opposed to you that there might be a different revenue model behind this.

You are quite fond of stating that your opponents bring nothing to this thread.

However, ironically, since you readily admit to having no interest in modding for cash, you yourself have nothing to contribute to whether 40% is the right number, and therefore nothing to contribute to a rant thread you yourself created.

I agree, nothing to be outraged about. In the end i will maybe buy some of those assets or not. Never said SOE is greedy or brought moral into it. It's what it is.

So what was your point making this post? 

Nice backpeddelling.  You've edited the OP so many times I don't know what it originally said, but you later ranted against SOE posting in all caps with underlines and implying they weren't "fair", which is a moral judgement.

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by dandurin

We shall see how much they really cost, at this point it is all speculation and we heard from posters that actually add to the discussion as opposed to you that there might be a different revenue model behind this.

However, ironically, since you readily admit to having no interest in modding for cash, you yourself have nothing to contribute to whether 40% is the right number, and therefore nothing to contribute to a rant thread you yourself created.

Are you for real? I asked modders for their opinion because i am not a modder, more insight into the topic and discussion about it. 

I agree, nothing to be outraged about. In the end i will maybe buy some of those assets or not. Never said SOE is greedy or brought moral into it. It's what it is.

Nice backpeddelling.  You've edited the OP so many times I don't know what it originally said, but you later ranted against SOE posting in all caps with underlines and implying they weren't "fair", which is a moral judgement.

You did not answer my question, what is the point of your post? You add nothing to the discussion here, no facts, no opinion on the Topic. Why do you keep going on and on about how i am wrong and ... i don't know any more what the frack you want from me. How about posting something constructive, a genuine thought or insight maybe, but please stop it i can't take it any more and i will ignore any posts from you from here on.

• thekandy2thekandy2 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by dandurin

Go back a few pages or ten and there should be some insightful comments made by the OP, such as "Free content made by players should be free for the players" all in big font and orange for easy reading, and a tirade about how he doesn't wish to pay SOE 60% for the "overpriced" items, whatever that means, since he would be paying the full price to them anyway.

I think his little song and dance about the modders not being paid enough is a nice little coverup for a much baser cause: His own wallet. Why all this malarchy about something he has no vested interest in whatsoever if not.

One wonders why he doesn't just come out and say it, given the general opinion of SOE's pricing models here.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    It's relevent to the conversation that players can indeed create structures, make blueprints of them and do what they want with the design. That includes giving it away, trading it, selling it in game or submitting it to SoE to sell on the marketplace.

Just as those who want it free look out for thwie wallet, so do those that spend x hours creating something great. It works both ways.
  • TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by thekandy2

Go back a few pages or ten and there should be some insightful comments made by the OP, such as "Free content made by players should be free for the players" all in big font and orange for easy reading, and a tirade about how he doesn't wish to pay SOE 60% for the "overpriced" items, whatever that means, since he would be paying the full price to them anyway.

I think his little song and dance about the modders not being paid enough is a nice little coverup for a much baser cause: His own wallet. Why all this malarchy about something he has no vested interest in whatsoever if not.

One wonders why he doesn't just come out and say it, given the general opinion of SOE's pricing models here.

What is it with people on this site desperately trying to find a sinister motive behind my posts? It's like posters are obsessed with finding something to discredit and anger anyone making a thread it's like an obsession yet there are little to no constructive posts at all.

This forum is truly the sewer of all gaming forums, it's so vile and full of shit it's unbelievable.

What is it with people on this site desperately trying to find a sinister motive behind my posts? It's like posters are obsessed with finding something to discredit and anger anyone making a thread it's like an obsession yet there are little to no constructive posts at all.

This forum is truly the sewer of all gaming forums, it's so vile and full of shit it's unbelievable.

There has been plenty of constructive posts in this thread that should be more than enough to sate your curiousity for what the modders think. Yet it seems to remain a point that they should demand more even when it has been brought up that what is being offered for assets is much higher than the regular standard of artwork.

You do not come off as wanting the feedback from modders if they do not support your view and setup, and you very much seem to have an agenda with this thread, whether it's simply a wish for affirmation, rabble-rousing or a veiled rant against microtransactions..

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by slikeytre
    Why are they selling your art at such a huge cut? Is this the only place their making any money on the game?  I'm thinking 80/20 to be fair. Without people making things they wouldn't get the sale.

How is it your art? Pretty sure the tools you use belong to them, as does the game itself. People complain about COMPANIES being greedy, here you get basically a free 40% cut just by using tools you don't even have to pay for and THEY are the bad guys... image

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

One thing I agree with which I think that poster was trying to say is you should just let it go. You should understand the reasons for doing so by now. I'm talking about the overly hostile nature of this place, the under developed arguments, people repeating similar things you've already argued against, people chiming in  without reading the whole thread or even the OP and than we have the attacks on your motives and so on as you just got. Now it's not all like that and there have been a lot of good post too but it's not worth it mate. Go be free, fly far from this place.

There has been plenty of constructive posts in this thread that should be more than enough to sate your curiousity for what the modders think. Yet it seems to remain a point that they should demand more even when it has been brought up that what is being offered for assets is much higher than the regular standard of artwork.

Yet here you are adding another post that adds nothing to the Topic and only tries to find some sinister agenda. . . are you for real?

You do not come off as wanting the feedback from modders if they do not support your view and setup, and you very much seem to have an agenda with this thread, whether it's simply a wish for affirmation, rabble-rousing or a veiled rant against microtransactions..

Really, you reply to my post where i say people have nothing better to do than trying to find sinister motives, conspiracy theories about my agenda by doing the exact same thing again? ARE YOU SHITTING ME!

How do you know what i want or what my agenda is? How dare you insinuate anything like this, who do you think you are? You don't know anything about me!

Interesting response i must say, and so defensive too.

A word for the road, next you want to hear the opinions of a select group, try not to be so sensational about it. It's bound to attract a lot more sensible people if you don't start off with a hint of outrage and "how dare they do this" mentalism. Oh and try not to patronize that select group by letting them know that while they might be fine with how it is, you don't and thus it should change, nevermind that the subject has no effect on you.

Ta-ta.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by agnostic4eve

Name a game that let's you create items for use in a game....

I'm waiting....

Team Fortress 2, Dota 2 to name just two on top of my head.

Now name one that let's you make money off of your creations....

Still waiting....

Team fortress creators usually get 100k or more for community items amongst other perks like a unique one time item that usually sells to collectors for a few thousand.

Now name an indie program that let's you make a share of the profits over 15%...

That's what this is, an Indie program. They give you the platform to make a profit, it's very simple. I see this as Sony's acceptance of Indie designers. Not only have they opened the doors for Indie Game designers, and Author's, they are also opening the door for indie Graphic Designers. What better way of finding diamonds in the rough than giving them a platform to perform on.

Indie is the future baby, get used to it.

What this has to do with indie games is beyond my understanding, sorry, wrong thread maybe?

Yay, you named one, now name one that offers such a large percentage of your sales returned...... TF2 is not 40%

And Indie games is all you got from that? If you make something for another product and are not affiliated with that product, you in fact Independent, if you make a product and do not go traditional or Trade Publishing or gain a producer for it, you are in fact Independent.

Independent=Indie, not just in games, but in Indie author, Indie game design, graphic design. If you are  freelancer, you are in fact, Indie.

If you make an item for another game and sell it on their marketplace, you are doing Indie err freelance work. Every company that offers a platform for freelancers to sell their work makes me smile, and from a freelancers perspective, 40% is VERY generous. If you want to get offended by them offering such a high rate, you really should look at the freelance market, because I really think you have no clue what you are talking about.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Originally posted by Agoden

You're joking right? How many games allow you to actually make money? Barely any of them.

The fact that you get anything at all rather then just sharing it for free is fantastic.

I don't see how anyone could be upset over this.

If anything we should just be upset creations are paid to begin with, but i guess thats the business model.

Second life is it pretty much.. I see this landmark being a fantasy SL.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Name a game that let's you create items for use in a game....

I'm waiting....

Team Fortress 2, Dota 2 to name just two on top of my head.

Now name one that let's you make money off of your creations....

Still waiting....

Team fortress creators usually get 100k or more for community items amongst other perks like a unique one time item that usually sells to collectors for a few thousand.

Now name an indie program that let's you make a share of the profits over 15%...

That's what this is, an Indie program. They give you the platform to make a profit, it's very simple. I see this as Sony's acceptance of Indie designers. Not only have they opened the doors for Indie Game designers, and Author's, they are also opening the door for indie Graphic Designers. What better way of finding diamonds in the rough than giving them a platform to perform on.

Indie is the future baby, get used to it.

What this has to do with indie games is beyond my understanding, sorry, wrong thread maybe?

Yay, you named one, now name one that offers such a large percentage of your sales returned...... TF2 is not 40%

And Indie games is all you got from that? If you make something for another product and are not affiliated with that product, you in fact Independent, if you make a product and do not go traditional or Trade Publishing or gain a producer for it, you are in fact Independent.

Independent=Indie, not just in games, but in Indie author, Indie game design, graphic design. If you are  freelancer, you are in fact, Indie.

If you make an item for another game and sell it on their marketplace, you are doing Indie err freelance work. Every company that offers a platform for freelancers to sell their work makes me smile, and from a freelancers perspective, 40% is VERY generous. If you want to get offended by them offering such a high rate, you really should look at the freelance market, because I really think you have no clue what you are talking about.

OP doesn't want to see actual reality. I tried to say the same thing and he brushed it under the rug. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• ChrisKnightsChrisKnights Member Posts: 2

I swore I wouldn't post here but jesus guys, learn to read.

All the bitching about needing maya etc DOES NOT APPLY TO LANDMARK. The Player Studio faq is outdated as it mainly contains information for EQII and PS2 which do need those things.

Landmark is a building game, like Minecraft.

To sell your creations you do nothing more than build it, completely in-game with the tools provided, and then you select whatever you've made that you want to sell. This then creates the template (again, all in game) and then you can list it on Player Studio for Landmark.

So getting 40% of the selling price when all you're using is their in-game tools is insane. 

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by ChrisKnights

All the bitching about needing maya etc DOES NOT APPLY TO LANDMARK. The Player Studio faq is outdated as it mainly contains information for EQII and PS2 which do need those things.

To sell your creations you do nothing more than build it, completely in-game with the tools provided, and then you select whatever you've made that you want to sell. This then creates the template (again, all in game) and then you can list it on Player Studio for Landmark.

So getting 40% of the selling price when all you're using is their in-game tools is insane. 

It's even more crazy when Landmark Player Studio is more like an Auction house, you'll be able to put bundle of resources in it. It's pretty much Diablo Real-Cash Auction House, except that half the stuff in it will be played created (templates)  as opposed to farmed. Plots of land are probably going to be more of a real estate market...

Proof (at the end of the article):

Georgeson and Butler have also expanded on Landmark's in-game currency and real money economies, which will touch every aspect of play. Most notably, SOE's Player Studio will become a cash marketplace for player-gathered resources, plots of real estate on Landmark's servers, and player-designed building templates, which other players can buy and plop onto their land.

"Player Studio is part and parcel with the game," says Georgeson. "People can make money off the templates and creations they make, but that doesn’t help a harvester at all. So we’ve gone to the step of saying that they can collect resources and put bundles of resources up on Player Studio. They can also sell them for coin or just give them away if they want. So that allows them to have a submarket, a subculture that’s running through and doing all these things, and they’re getting to do the things they really love, and then the people who just want to build can just build if they want to."

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by ChrisKnights

true

SOE has not given the Player Studio details for Landmark yet beyond saying it will be *different* than other games

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by mrshroom89

ANY other real money auction house where you sell to other players has a tax of around 10-15% not 60% SIXTY!

SOE put in 200x the amount of man hours to create the game than anyone will put into making a single item.  Without the game and the tools that were created 100% by SOE you have nothing.  So no you are not doing 100% of the work you are putting inabout 10% if that of what SOE has. 

Not sure in which fantasy world you live in but SOE does not provide any of the tools to create content. Without people creating content SOE would have NOTHING to sell (see how that argument bites you in the ass). Here is a list of tools you have to invest in to create content:

3D Modeling:

Texturing:

Anyway, was asking what other people think, not asking to be attacked for my opinion that this is a little bit of a one sided deal.

What?

Ok. SOE has done nothing and you don't need them or their game for you to create content for their game. As you said, they have done 0% of the work.

So show me an example of content you have created for their game without SOE or use of their toolset. Show me an example of completely integrated content for EQNext or Landmark utilizing the software you've listed.

I am really interested in stepping out of my fantasy world, and into what you consider reality.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Merxion

To be clear you will still be 1099'd for amount that you sell that crosses the $601 mark in a calendar year.  So dont confuse this with a tax.  Call it a fee or whatever you want but calling it a tax will make you really pissed when they send you a 1099 the end of the year and you have to account for the money you made.

Someone said that SOE gave you the software.   Thats not really true either you have to buy the game right?  I guess thats a licensing fee.  The only thing I dont care for is you have to collect all the resources in order to build it from the blueprint  If I pay real money for something in game I want something "Tangible".

Except the game is free and its a game... not a development kit. It just so happens that you CAN make money from that game. It is not a requirement. Game... you know those things people play for fun. 

If anyone plans on going into Landmark with the sole purpose of making a killing through the toolset...they are sadly mistaken. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

Okay, this is utterly ridiculous.  I've said this already, but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Do you guys know how much an author gets when ever book is sold? It's 10%. For an actor, 10 to 20% of the overall budget, plus a smaller percentage royalty.  So some of you closet Picassos think you deserve MORE than 40% when proven, talented artists typically earn a far smaller percentage.  talk about hubris on your part.

• mmorpgcom01mmorpgcom01 Member Posts: 1

I am a published author and i stumbled upon this thread by accident. I created an account because i felt that there was some misinformation present. People have repeatedly said authors get 10% royalties, if this was true i would have long quit and got a regular job.

I get a significant signing bonus if i sell my script or novel to a book publisher. On top of that i get royalties for digital and physical units sold on a regular basis. The signing bonus depends on the subject and popularity or what the publisher perceives as currently popular and can range from a low $10.000 to an extremely generous $500.000 and in rare cases more. The royalties vary depending on reseller, Amazon for example typically takes 55%; others are as low as 30%. Digital royalties are somewhat different because they like to keep prices low to reduce piracy. Self published i would end up with 50-60%, i can speak from experience since i have done this once but prefer publishing deals for reasons i will explain in a minute.

If you can even compare the two, i understand that what Sony is doing here is simply taking a digital item like a digital book and putting it on their sales platform. 

This is completely different to a book deal. With a publishing contract come a huge amount of invaluable perks such as advertising, interviews, book signings, printing the book, distribution and PR.

From my point of view, if i understood this correctly, a split of 60% for the artist does seem more appropriate. Of cause as i said before, i do not know how much work it is to create this digital art and how difficult it is for Sony to put it up for sale, however i can imagine that Sony has the sales platform already in place for their other products.

It has been quite an interesting thread i must say and i wish all the aspiring artists good luck with their creations. Don't sell yourself too cheap.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by mmorpgcom01

I am a published author and i stumbled upon this thread by accident. I created an account because i felt that there was some misinformation present. People have repeatedly said authors get 10% royalties, if this was true i would have long quit and got a regular job.

I get a significant signing bonus if i sell my script or novel to a book publisher. On top of that i get royalties for digital and physical units sold on a regular basis. The signing bonus depends on the subject and popularity or what the publisher perceives as currently popular and can range from a low $10.000 to an extremely generous $500.000 and in rare cases more. The royalties vary depending on reseller, Amazon for example typically takes 55%; others are as low as 30%. Digital royalties are somewhat different because they like to keep prices low to reduce piracy. Self published i would end up with 50-60%, i can speak from experience since i have done this once but prefer publishing deals for reasons i will explain in a minute.

If you can even compare the two, i understand that what Sony is doing here is simply taking a digital item like a digital book and putting it on their sales platform. 

This is completely different to a book deal. With a publishing contract come a huge amount of invaluable perks such as advertising, interviews, book signings, printing the book, distribution and PR.

From my point of view, if i understood this correctly, a split of 60% for the artist does seem more appropriate. Of cause as i said before, i do not know how much work it is to create this digital art and how difficult it is for Sony to put it up for sale, however i can imagine that Sony has the sales platform already in place for their other products.

It has been quite an interesting thread i must say and i wish all the aspiring artists good luck with their creations. Don't sell yourself too cheap.

Yeah. Sure you are. Whose sockpuppet are you? Come on, tell the truth. If you were a real author, you'd know advances go against future earnings. Any sort of premium paid above that happens only for the likes of Stephen King, J.K. Rowling, none of which are in residence here I can assure you. B-listers and below don't receive this generous reward. Your entire post smacks of someone who researched on wikipedia rather than have any real-world practical experience. 

Also, advertising, interviews, book signings....all of these things ARE PR. So your redundancy speaks to something other than the care a true author would give in crafting a sentence. And I'd hardly call the printing of the actual book a perk. It's the frickin' point of publishing in the first place.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by mmorpgcom01

This is a good post, but slightly misleading to people who aren't authors.
    Most Novels, unless you are Stephen King or J.K. Rowling have advances of 5k-15k, and the advance is just that, an advance. Once your novel makes enough to pay back your advance, you will make more, but unless it becomes a best seller, most writers don't ever make more than the advance. Writers contracts vary from Agent to Agent, Publisher to Publisher, the agent(if you have one) takes a percentage of what you make after the Publisher gives you your cut, usually 10-20% of total sales, 20% is a high figure and only those 'Always Bestseller' Authors make it. Agents can also pursue a Movie deal for extra income on the piece, not all agents can do this though.

Self-Published Authors make varied amounts depending on which platform they sell on. Sony, Smashwords, iBooks, Barnes & Noble all give 60%. Amazon gives 70% if you own sole rights to worldwide distribute and list you E-Book at 2.99 or higher, otherwise, they return 35%.

Most Published Authors make more per book than Self-Published because marketing is handled by the publishing house. Self-Publishers go their own route with blog interviews, paying for their own ads and so forth. I could seriously go on for days on this topic.

The high figures are usually only for scripts which are optioned and then move forward into production, most that get optioned never do pass this stage, there are many different methods used for optioning and these usually depend on the size of the production company. The highest ever sold, that I am aware of was, and my information is a bit old as I have stopped caring a while ago was Long Kiss Goodnight which sold for around 4million. Most scripts sell for less than 100k, if they are purchased at all, everyone and their dog has a script these days and getting past the slushpile is next to impossible unless you have contacts already in the biz.

Back on track, I have been in Freelance work for awhile, 40% for making a model and offering on someone else's platform is reasonable, I wouldn't say 'Mouthwatering' but reasonable.

• Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149

How is this False thread still active? I can't believe all the misinformation

First off, SOE is not getting a 60% cut. What the OP linked is a standard FAQ for outsourced purchasing made by SOE for their games. This has nothing to do with Landmark.

2nd off, this is a very generous percentage for a model from any company. The artists working at SOE do not get paid 40%.. they get much less.