Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"pick, sickle, axe and bucket" mMMmm crafting

KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

I really like how the crafting mechanics are sounding more and more for Landmark.

Pick for gathering rocks and deposits.

Sickle must be for cutting various plants and flowers.

Axe for cutting down trees obviously

Bucket for collecting liquids

then there is the various tiers of gathering which means we will need to make higher versions of our tools.

I wonder if they will degrade.

Also wonder if we can gather lower tiers with a higher tier gathering tool and if there is a downside to this.

Ahhh a few questions answered by the latest info, which leads to even more questions hehe.

Comments

• MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96

Yeah, I'm excited to get more info on crafting too.  I have a feeling that when EQN goes live my combat classes will be neglected for a few weeks while I explore, gather and craft.  Although, I'm sure there will be some fighting to do on my way.

I'm hoping for a complex crafting system where gear is concerned.  I want to be able to control stats by using different base materials, and control appearance by using different secondary mats.  So much fun shall be had.  

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

EQ:Ns building mechanics sound like MC...

It even looks like it...

I dont know how I feel about this...

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by monochrome19

It even looks like it...

I never played Minecraft. I have seen footage of some and people have created amazing things with basically very rudimentary tools and graphic tiles made completely of blocks.

From what I have seen so far of Landmark, it looks as though you start with very small circles and can shape them into anything you want. This seems like a stretch until you look at what some of the time lapse building looks like. Making dungeons, buildings, tools, probably outfits, armors, shields, guns, swords, bows, axes, war hammers...etc.

I could even see slaying a fire beetle and taking it's eyes to put in some lamps you made in  the castle you build. I am curious how they will limit our use of these tools and what mats we can get from mobs, etc.

Fun times ahead for sure.

As far as the latest video I think they were showing blocks of various textures to give us an idea of some of the direction we can go, similar to when you go to the home improvement store and look at the slabs of different tiles and woods for redoing a house.

I think we need to draw a line between building and crafting. Building will be done with sculpable, stackable voxels, but crafting weapons armor and tools probably won't.
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Of course it won't, it's not how voxel engine works - voxels are quite large, you can't use them for small objects, details, etc.

You supposedly can build all the small objects the old way, through Sony Player Studio. But how many of you are doing it? It's available for years already.

Unfortunately, it isn't what I wanted from Landmarks. I hoped for free-building mode with developers using all their attention to creating systems on top of Voxelfarm that will allow for relatively detailed buildings with large selection of building materials and complex editing tools. Unfortunately, what we are getting is, apparently, "grind for better pickaxe! Isn't it fun?!!"

Not for me. There is Minecraft survival mode for that already.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I like the tiers, many systems use them, VG has them and it is probably my favorite fantasy mmo for crafting/harvesting.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by monochrome19

It even looks like it...

And they both were ripped straight out of Wurm Online.

Just like Landmark was ripped out of http://www.ryzomcore.org/p/about-ryzom-core.html

And storybricks http://www.ryzom.com/en/mmorpg-rpg-mmo-ryzom_ring.html

That's the thing isn't it, Smed and Co claiming first when really they are late to the party.

Oh did i mention character jumping or climbing over walls/objects or sliding down slopes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n5HVzb59rY

You see everything has been done before, not that i mind because we are spoilt  for choice but don't let Smed & Co fool ya into think these features are EQN exclusive.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Grahor

Of course it won't, it's not how voxel engine works - voxels are quite large, you can't use them for small objects, details, etc.

Forgive me if I am swrong but Voxels do not 'have' to be large. I remember seeing something about how they spent a lot of time working on the detail levels so they could have very small and very smoth voxels.

Makes me laugh though how much negativity there is when there is so little information about the game.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

At no point did they claim this is something unique. The usage of it in the real world of a MMORPG is going to be unique and that is true.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by Markusrind

Forgive me if I am swrong but Voxels do not 'have' to be large. I remember seeing something about how they spent a lot of time working on the detail levels so they could have very small and very smoth voxels.

Makes me laugh though how much negativity there is when there is so little information about the game.

[mod edit]

I dont' know that much about game engines and Voxels... BUT I am smart enough to use google...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voxel

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

You supposedly can build all the small objects the old way, through Sony Player Studio. But how many of you are doing it? It's available for years already.

Unfortunately, it isn't what I wanted from Landmarks. I hoped for free-building mode with developers using all their attention to creating systems on top of Voxelfarm that will allow for relatively detailed buildings with large selection of building materials and complex editing tools. Unfortunately, what we are getting is, apparently, "grind for better pickaxe! Isn't it fun?!!"

Not for me. There is Minecraft survival mode for that already.

Yeah, I am pretty sure you're right about non-voxel based crafting, but I don't use absolute terms when I'm talking about something that I have so little information on.  That's just intellectual caution.  As far as the rest of your post goes, I'm sorry you're not going to get the game you want.  Personally I am more and more excited about EQN and EQN: Landmark all the time.  

• CragfireCragfire Member Posts: 38

It could just be me, but that Black Desert video looks horrendous. I have to admit I have not been following that game but now I'm glad I haven't.

I give the game the movement style, which is why it was brought up in this thread. Reminds me of Lara Croft movement, which was done back in the late 90s.

That said. The graphics, Poly count and Texturing look dated already and horrible. The sound is just as bad, sounds like the player was made from 500lbs of cement with her footfalls and bumping into others.

I know a lot of people are looking forward to that game, and I honestly hope it's gotten better then what was shown in that video.

Originally posted by Markusrind
    Originally posted by Grahor Of course it won't, it's not how voxel engine works - voxels are quite large, you can't use them for small objects, details, etc.

You are not wrong. As the technology ages you will be able to do more and more with them and they do not have to be large.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I have no idea what's involved with voxel crafting

but this kickstarter is a stand alone PC sandbox rpg - with voxels

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/399246/kickstarter-Astral-Terra-Voxel-sandbox-rpg.html

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

A Main Key Feature that I want to know before I would even buy the game related to crafting.

1. Am I limited to how many crafts I can take per character.

2. How does Character Classes work, same way as EQ2 multiple characters, or option to SWAP roles with a single character.

They say it is supposed to be a Sand-Box game so that means I should have no restrictions.

Originally posted by Renoaku
    A Main Key Feature that I want to know before I would even buy the game related to crafting.

1. Am I limited to how many crafts I can take per character.

2. How does Character Classes work, same way as EQ2 multiple characters, or option to SWAP roles with a single character.

They say it is supposed to be a Sand-Box game so that means I should have no restrictions.

One character can have all crafts. EQL only has one class, the adventurer. EQN has a multi class system where you can own every class and build your current multi-class from your owned classes. You have to earn each class through your actions in game though. Steal stuff to earn thief, do good deeds to earn paladin etc. We don't have tons of details on how that will all work though.

• EzbeeEzbee Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Karble

I really like how the crafting mechanics are sounding more and more for Landmark.

Pick for gathering rocks and deposits.

Sickle must be for cutting various plants and flowers.

Axe for cutting down trees obviously

Bucket for collecting liquids

Reminds me of WoW.