Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW:G boy do I miss it

124»

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Classicstar

Originally posted by Dayrion
    Yes it is true there are some emulators out there but for alot of use we played for years had full cities had built up millions of credits. I had a perfect YT-1300 that I had made and was able to sell for over 1 mil credits. Its not the point that you can jump on an emulator and play it a point the community for the game is gone and we lost everything we worked for.

If you realy love SWG as you claim you would play now, all the crap about i had this that is why over past 10+ years its all going dumbdownhill road you want it al in first weeks or no go.

Have to work for it to get, no way.

Take me time, no way.

Difficult to master, no way.

NUFFSAID.

You guys are just building a myth around SWG same as those fans from UO while there where not bad games they had there flawes also and where not perfect at all.

And most games appeal for first 6 months after that even mmo's like SWG starting to change so its more easy to play. Thats the true story not it was the greatest game ever:)

People can not play SWG right now unless you mean the emu? Regardless that game isn't the same and I also think that most gamers from back then also want something new to look at.

Many old school players I know acvtually take their time (myself included) with any MMO or MMORPG.

Nothing is really difficult to master if you have patience.

There is no myth building around SWG as anyone who has played and loved the game was fully aware of most of its issue's/problems.

Played SWG for about 3 years before the CU that includes little over a year in beta. So that change you pretend to be 6 months is actually closer to being 2.5 to 3 years form launch. So it doesn't really hold up what you said.

And yes for some people (again incl. me) SWG still today is te greatest MMORPG I have ever played. Which does not mean you have to agree with that as all we do on these forums is state our own personal opinion. And you might have another game you feel is the greatest game. Doesn't make you wrong.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Holophonist

Yes it is true there are some emulators out there but for alot of use we played for years had full cities had built up millions of credits. I had a perfect YT-1300 that I had made and was able to sell for over 1 mil credits. Its not the point that you can jump on an emulator and play it a point the community for the game is gone and we lost everything we worked for.

If you realy love SWG as you claim you would play now, all the crap about i had this that is why over past 10+ years its all going dumbdownhill road you want it al in first weeks or no go.

Take me time, no way.

NUFFSAID.

You guys are just building a myth around SWG same as those fans from UO while there where not bad games they had there flawes also and where not perfect at all.

And most games appeal for first 6 months after that even mmo's like SWG starting to change so its more easy to play. Thats the true story not it was the greatest game ever:)

The emulator is missing major aspects of the game. Also a healthy playerbase is something these games need. And unfortunately a lot of people aren't willing to play a game that has outdated graphics/engine. 

When I last checked it it had 2k players logged in on 1 server.  Not sure how that is less healthy for gameplay tha 50 self contained servers wit 2k players each. In SWG you had your server and that was that.

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345
    For so many of us, the ending of Star Wars Galaxies (the original) was a huge disappointment.
  • IoshtIosht Member Posts: 38
    Well I was gonna say don't be sad there's an emulator but after looking through these posts it's obvious everyone here knows about them. But here's a link anyways http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php these guys are working on making this version to the final pre-cu version.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Iosht
    Well I was gonna say don't be sad there's an emulator but after looking through these posts it's obvious everyone here knows about them. But here's a link anyways http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php these guys are working on making this version to the final pre-cu version.

While the game was made more easily accessible in later years and swgemu doesn't offer space combat or jedi yet I will admit it is great there is one and I love the world just as much as ever. Just would be hard for new players to grasp as it involves alot of walking and grinding, but if you want to witness the greatest mass of land ever created in an MMO history and get a sense of the scale it is great for that and fun to get lost in imo.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Holophonist

Take me time, no way.

NUFFSAID.

The emulator is missing major aspects of the game. Also a healthy playerbase is something these games need. And unfortunately a lot of people aren't willing to play a game that has outdated graphics/engine. 

When I last checked it it had 2k players logged in on 1 server.  Not sure how that is less healthy for gameplay tha 50 self contained servers wit 2k players each. In SWG you had your server and that was that.

I acutally didn't mean to sound like I was claiming the emulator didn't have enough players; I was more making the point that some of these old games aren't as playable as they used to be even if you as an individual want to play it.

Is it 2k online like at peak?

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Amaranthar
    Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by Amaranthar
    Originally posted by DrSmaSh

Amen!

SWG was the first and last game I got lost in. No kidding, first day of game, I think it was Mos Eisley where you started - I just went over the hill and got like totally lost. And from that day I remember two encounters that I will probably never forget in my life: first was a lady, sitting in front of her house with kitten next to it. I asked her for directions, she gave me some money and pointed me across the hill. But somehow I was uber noob and got lost again... and right there in the middle of a desert came a guy, a doctor on -can't-remember-the-name-of-pet-mount- he was all dressed up as desert people. He gave me some stimpacks and guided me back to the city. Fucking EPIC!

See, right there. You don't get that in other games. It makes it feel like a world (worlds, in this case). You not only can get lost, you can loose yourself in the game.

I still found SWG too Themeparkish due to the levels (items with levels, don't try to convince me it didn't have levels). And I didn't stay. But I've wondered if I should have. Obviously, it was NOT JUST about levels.

But that kind of play is indeed "epic". Much more memorable than some scripted content that you know everyone is doing repeatedly.

Edit to add: And the Canteenas and Camp Sites were only the beginnings of what could be done in MMOs.

Actually SWG didn't have levels when it first started lol. Just saying. They had skills you could pick and chose from. Not until WOW and the themepark rush to be like WOW did they change it.

SWG had some of the largest worlds to explore, not themeparkish at all. No end game, no quests to level. I don't get how you think it was way too themepark'ish. I could quests and hit max level, I could just go kill everything and max level, could craft and hit max level, or I could have just sat in a cantina and talked/danced and hit max level........... themepark? Seriously?

SWG created themeparks or at least the term lol.  

No sir. "Themepark" was first coined to describe EQ because players had to wait in line to do the content before moving on to the next "ride". It took on added meaning with WoW even though WoW fixed that particular problem.

Another Lie.  Themepark came about long after WOW came out, just like the word "Endgame".

Themepark and Endgame were terms/ideas that DIDNT exist in EQ, at least during 1999-2005 which is when i played it heavily.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DragazharDragazhar Member UncommonPosts: 3

This is the best Emulater out there. Game is up and running.. JTL is being worked on... Please at least support it. ...

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/content.php?s=7327d98a59f3e5ba881f88a9ab07e6e1

Its still in alpha stage but playable pre CU.  I know you miss your stuff you had.. Same here .. I had 2 yachts on 1 toon   but if anyone wanted to be a part of rebuilding this game... the folks taking their free time to rebuild it from the ground up would love your support.

• AthonoAthono Member UncommonPosts: 15

I too miss this game very much. For me SWG was my 1st foray into the mmo gaming world. It has also been the game that has biased my judgement to others. I started playing AOC while still playing SWG and could not believe that there was no player housing, and virtually no differentiating or personalizing of player cities like you had in SWG. With SWG I enjoyed every aspect of the game, pve, pvp, groups, space, adventuring, crafting, and bounty hunting. I even enjoyed space mining. I miss being able to jump into my x-wing, or my Soruusub yacht and just go flying around in a sector of space. Even finding a nice spot overlooking a planet and just checking out. 

I have read through alot of the posts on this thread and can't help but be awed by the old argument coming up that the game shouldn't have Jedi. To these people I say simply this you are wrong on every possible level. Jedi are quit simply the 1 ingredient in the Star Wars mythos that seperate it from every other sci-fi tale out there.

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Dragazhar

This is the best Emulater out there. Game is up and running.. JTL is being worked on... Please at least support it. ...

Its still in alpha stage but playable pre CU.  I know you miss your stuff you had.. Same here .. I had 2 yachts on 1 toon   but if anyone wanted to be a part of rebuilding this game... the folks taking their free time to rebuild it from the ground up would love your support.

Why would anyone want to support this?  They already dumped a ton of money into a game that CLOSED.  Why would they dump money into something that will close again.  I have no problem with emulators but begging for people to support just shows this one along with the many other emulators won't last, enjoy it but I wouldn't support it. 

• kefkahkefkah Member UncommonPosts: 832

They would want to support it because it offers what many of us miss - the SWG Uncle Owen experience. While not in exact replica, it is functional enough at the moment to enjoy. Perhaps one day, go beyond that.

And for the record, I miss my Ranger.  

• IylzIylz Member Posts: 107

I loved SWG, I have never been so immersed in a game. I have been playing the emu for quite some time and if anyone wants to relive SWG in its glory, the emu does it. They have made some great progress and most has been completed. When you go into the game you would barely notice it isn't complete aside JTL and a few other things.

There is another experience awaiting SWG vets though, The Repopulation: https://www.therepopulation.com

The game is pretty wicked and has quite a bit of elements that I believe appeal to the old school SWG fans.

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345

Repopulation is one of the games I'm watching.

One of the main things I enjoyed about SWG was what you could do in furnishing your houses. Anything that you could pick up as an icon, could be placed in a house. I furnished houses for players based on their theme preferences. I put outdoor fountains, aquariums with swimming fish, etc. in houses. Other games with housing don't give that kind of extensive furnishing.

• IoshtIosht Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Braindome

Originally posted by Iosht

While the game was made more easily accessible in later years and swgemu doesn't offer space combat or jedi yet I will admit it is great there is one and I love the world just as much as ever. Just would be hard for new players to grasp as it involves alot of walking and grinding, but if you want to witness the greatest mass of land ever created in an MMO history and get a sense of the scale it is great for that and fun to get lost in imo.

Ya its slowly getting there, there are plenty of pvp battles here and there I've heard cuz I've mostly been on tatooine. Most players seem to be on Corellia,and Naboo but there are plenty of people on Tatooine also but most are in Mos Eisley.
  • bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Ya been playing SWGEMU a bunch but with no space its just not as fun as with the real game. Some day we will get a SWG server with space. So we can fly our Tie's,X-Wing's and all the other fun 1 person to multi player ships again. Until then I am hoping that Star Citizen will be all that JTL was in SWG and a lot more. 
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Reminiscing is usually a happy experience like how the thread started. Dwelling on things or wishing things never changed is another story. It gets even worse when nothing can ever be as good as something that never really happened. I'm not taking a superior position, I was pointing out how unhealthy it can become if it's all someone ever does. Unfortunately most people don't consider what their actions or thoughts turn them into, they simply think they are how they are.

How does a bitter old person become that way ? How does someone always find fun in something ? Are they just lucky or unlucky or did they become that way through a history of acting and thinking that way. I don't know a lot of bitter kids that sit around wishing things never changed....at least not ones that dont eventually get put on meds. Something happens to them along the way that turns them into that old guy on the porch that hates everything. Is it one event that changes them or is it  alife time of things that train them to be like that.

True. As someone who was enjoying life on the Corbantis server in the town of Azure behind Bestine I can say I was very peeved when the NGE patch hit. My town was ran by a family of Twiliks who use to put on events every weekend. I wasted HOURS every week trying to find the best resources for our town crafters to make me the best weapon and armor for my bounty hunter. After that patch our town died. Literally. The NGE was IMO the biggest mistake ever made in the history of gaming and I understand why so many people haven't forgotten it. I've since moved on and enjoyed other games. I've never ranted on other gaming forums wishing for another Pre-NGE SWG(that REALLY does get old guys), but I DO make sure to never give SOE another dime of my money.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    I preferred the game before Jump To Lightspeed.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    I like it better before the posthumous canonization took place.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Dragazhar

I'll jump right in as soon as JTL is working.. can't wait to start outfitting a space ship again